Start by marking “Breakwater (Broken Tides #1)” as Want to Read:
Breakwater (Broken Tides #1)

Breakwater

(Broken Tides #1)

Mermaids. Murder. Mayhem.

A red tide is rising.

As the daughter of one of the mer-king’s trusted advisors, seventeen-year-old Jade has great responsibilities. When her fiancé murders a naiad, plunging the underwater city of Thessalonike into uproar, tensions surge between the mer and the naiads. Jade learns too late that the choices she makes ripple further than she'd ever i
Published May 30th 2017 by Fathom Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Breakwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakwater

Start your review of Breakwater (Broken Tides #1)
Inge

I thought Breakwater was going to be a quick, light, and easy read – I was wrong on two out of three. Sure, I did finish the book in two days, but it definitely wasn’t light and easy. In fact, it was a lot more political than I ever expected a mermaid story could be. But I actually really appreciated it – the book feels very topical.

In the city of Thessalonike, two races live uneasily together – races known as the mer and the naiads. The naiads have water powers that scare the mer, so t
Sheila Goicea
Publication date May 30, 2017

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
I was already seen as a naiad-lover.

Jade is the daughter of one of the mer-king's closest advisers. Growing up in a life of privilege and opulence, she knows little of struggle and inequality---other than the fact that her father was killed trying to fight it.

Engaged to Tor, she prepares for her future with him---until she stumbles upon him in the courtyard, holding a
Alex
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
**I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review!**

Can we start with this cover *swoon* SOOOO beautiful! I love it!!! I am an absolute cover snob, and this shiny beacon caught my attention right away!
In addition to a beautiful cover, Breakwater was a great book. It has a new and startlingly unique spin on mermaids, and if you haven't joined the merworld yet, this is the perfect book to get you started. I love young adult books, they are actually my goto genre, but this one was a bit to
Shantelle
Okay, so I thought I was going to rate this book five stars. Because ... mermaids! This amazing underwater world. Eeee! Action, excitement, intrigue, emotion, and everything! Breakwater by Catherine Jones Payne certainly was just the book to pull me out of my reading slump.

But as you can see, I didn't rate it five stars ... because I was so very disappointed in Jade and her mother for their decisions at the end of the book. *is still reeling from it all*

Breakwater is book one to a series called
Lin
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alright, this was the first mermaid based book I have ever read. I looked at the cover and I was like woww I love it little did I know that I would like the story as well.

Just look at the cover

Ins’t it gorgeous???

Yeah once you have finished admiring it you can move on… take your time ^.^

Everything was new to me in this book that grabbed me since the very beginning and it did not disappoint me until the very end end. I loved the way the author displayed the main characters and focused on som
Joanna
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
*** Disclaimer: I received a copy from the author/publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review ***

Hey Book Peeps

I made a request for this e-arc from Netgalley at a time when I didn't know what I wanted to read. When I saw the cover I was intrigued because the last mermaid themed book I read was Deep Blue which I, surprisingly, came to like. So much so that I read the entires series so with that thought in mind I wondered if lightening could strike twice?.......... As a heads up, it
Dark Sith Lordette Jennymort ♔

**3.5 snap-yo-fin-stars**

Honestly, I'm still on the wall with this. I love the cover to pieces, but reading this book made me realize that this could have been so much better.
description

I know I've been putting RTC on the last few reviews, but this one I will really need to think on... maybe read again since I don't remember half of the book. *sigh*
Nildene
DNF – 51%

I'm not a person who DNFs books lightly – I make it a point to push through as much as possible but I have a breaking point, I really do. And I admit I'm a person who suffers from being intrigued by books with gorgeous covers – the term "don't judge a book by its cover," however, is a good warning I should have heeded in the opposite sense of what it means. This book, for me, failed miserably in several areas of what I think makes a book good.

The concept was great; it had the foundatio
Laura Grace
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was super bummed that I was unable to read this book in one sitting as I wanted to, BUT each time I returned back to BREAKWATER, it pulled me right back in (no pun intended, since you know, water currents and all).

The world-building was really fascinating and loved the ways the author brings Jade's world to life. Kiki was so cool and totally made me want to have a pet dolphin! I thought it might be a little strange reading a story where everything takes place under water, but it wasn't nearly
E.D.E. Bell
I have had the honor of working with Ms. Jones Payne as a developmental editor for my last two novels, so I was most excited to read her upcoming young-adult mermaid mystery. Part enchanting, underwater fantasy; part courtroom drama; and part social exploration, I found this tale wonderfully charming and kept turning the pages to find what would happen next. I didn’t expect to tear through it so quickly, but I couldn’t put it down!

Also, this book provides an approachable way to discuss the issue
Susana Zemlyakova
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, arcs
Before I launch into a review, can we talk about that amazing cover?! Love!

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Catherine Payne's Breakwater. Surprised because the first 10 minutes of the book left me skeptical. As the summary discloses, our story begins with our heroine, Jade, finding a murdered naiad in the arms of her fiancé. But before we get right into action, we catch a tiny glimpse of Jade's character through her inner monologue that gave me cause for concern.

"Of course, she’s
Elizabeth Dragina
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm annoyed with ppl who choose duty over love.
Josiah
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness.

This is exactly the kind of Christian-produced fantasy I'm ever searching to read:

- A unique fantasy world with awesome settings and believable cultural worldbuilding?
- Characters who aren't predictable and yet are always authentic as to who they're supposed to be?
- A plot featuring a number of unique and unexpected twists that keep the story constantly moving?
- And, most importantly, relevant themes and thematic questions that are difficult, painful, and yet utterly important f
Brendan Payne
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big fan of mermaids. So just opening this book was a stretch.

But I was impressed. By the end of the first chapter, the story turned from "cutesy mermaid gonna get married" to murder most foul. The main character is a teenager and is realistically presented as such. She's 17, a little naive, and trying to do the right thing, but bumbles her way into crisis after crisis, often accidentally making things worse. And yet, with all her lack of self-awareness at times, she's sympathetic, and
Darque  Dreamer
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Breakwater plunges you in to a world inhabited by mermaids. In this underwater city of Thessalonike, social classes are held and ruled over by the King. A human like species, called the Naiad, exists as the lowest standing class of this hierarchy. This story will immerse you in to the struggle of the oppression of the Naiad and the issues of injustice from the higher classes.

Though I enjoyed Breakwater for the most part, I felt like I was missing more imagery and details about this underwater w
Elizabeth
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I've been needing to get this up for awhile now. I've written it in my head several times now, but the hard part is getting it down somewhere outside my head. A big reason that I am not an aspiring author! But I promised Catherine when she sent me the book that I would review it, so here goes! Also, I strongly do not believe in spoilers, so I will do my best to keep them out of this review.

Oh my goodness, mermaids. Catherine (I sorry, I tried to call her Ms. Payne, it just didn't work in my
Alexandra
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I received an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Review and blog tour can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

The story of Jade and her life underwater was a very interesting one. There's politics plot to destroy and a very vivid, colorful underwater world. I liked the premise of the book, but what kept me hook to the story was the constant race against time in order to save everyone.

Needless to say the reason I also loved this book was because the underwater city where Jade lives is named Thes
Alia Therese Lazo
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
We make choices in life but sometimes we wonder if we made the right one.

Jade broke the engagement she had with Tor after seeing him hold the dead body of a naiad. He confessed and asked her not to tell anyone about the murder. She knew where her moral code would stand by.

She reported the murder to the inspector and her normal life is now turned to a nightmare. Lies, questions, violence and treachery threatens her search for the truth. Will she be strong enough to handle the situation or would

Anne
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in an online giveaway, in exchange for leaving an honest review on Goodreads. Thanks Catherine!!! :D :D :D

Breakwater hooked me from the start, and left me wanting more. I couldn't put it down! The main character, Jade, has to make a lot of hard decisions when she finds out her fiancee is a killer. I was especially interested in Jade and Pippa's friendship, and I hope we get more of that in the next book. No spoilers, but the ending chapters made me cry.
Karen Beg
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Book! Who doesn't love mermaids!? This was a fast paced and exciting read. I enjoyed the unique underwater world that was created by Payne. The characters were interesting and likeable. The book ended in a cliffhanger, and I look forward to the next book in the series.
Sherry Fundin
I love the gorgeous cover for Breakwater by Catherine Joyce Payne.

Oh…to be able to fly through the sea, jump with the dolphins, skim the sandy bottom of the ocean…

The writing is spectacular, so creative and descriptive that I am able to visualize things and they play like a movie in my ming. Imagine, if you will, a feeder being surrounded by sea horses instead of hummingbirds. Your garden is full of colorful coral instead of flamboyant flowers.

A dead naiad is the reason for Jade’s wedding being
Angela Smith
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book pulls you into it's world faster then a riptide. With amazing characters and a plot full of twists and turns you will not want to put this book down. You will be shocked by the ending and eagerly awaiting the next book.
Patrick Peek
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC of Breakwater by Catherine Jones Payne from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This was an interesting read, think Law and Order with mermaids. The main focus of the story is about a trial for murder that involves the fiance of the main character. Jade is a seventeen year old mermaid who is engaged to a captain in the mer guard. At a party at her fiance’s house, she finds him holding the body of a dead naiad girl. Tor, her fiance, admits to killing the girl, and th
Megan Wood
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am reviewing this book, as received from NetGalley prior to publication.

I have given this book four stars; in consideration of the age which I am reviewing for.

First off, the cover is beautiful, a good cover can draw a reader in to the book and Catherine has superbly accomplished this task. Secondly, a reader will want to pick up a book if it looks unique, and lets face it, there are not many books with Mermaid's on the cover, and for this I am thrilled for the book!

This book is rated as Te
Kara
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
*rating is 4.5*
Really loved this cover and even though the mermaid looks a little too seductive for my taste in this picture, it's still so beautiful! Had no idea what to expect with this book and there's only two reasons I would pass up a fantasy book that grabs my attention with a cover like this one, it's either too boring or offensive for my reading taste. I can honestly say this book was NEITHER and I read it while having a cold :) I couldn't turn the pages quickly enough and Breakwater def
Chelsies Reading Escape
I was able to read this book in one day. The pace was quick and the writing was easy but it failed to keep me engaged. Its not that the plot was slow but more like I wasnt completely invested. The court drama and tension between the naiads and mermaids kept me reading until the end. I think someone who hasnt read as many books as me might enjoy this more than I did because despite my issues it was a quick enjoyable read.

Ive read similar plots many times before and I totally saw the missing naiad
Christa Hartzog
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Valerie Rose
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mom met Mrs. Jones Payne at a conference and Mrs. Jones Payne said I could read Breakwater early if I leave a review on Goodreads, so here I am. I really liked Breakwater. This is the first mermaid book I've read. I really liked picturing there mermaids underwater on the reef. I kept having to turn pages to finish it because it was really exciting. I hope the second book comes out soon.
Olivia
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author immerses you in the lives, politics, and fashion of the mer and naiads.

Breakwater features young Jade, a high class mermaid with a strong sense of justice. Like the description says, she faces a life-changing choice when she finds her fiancé with a dead naiad in his arms.
Many YA series follow a young protagonist leaving family and hometown, finding themselves in an alien land or through foreign magics. In a refreshing change of pace, Breakwater's Jade resists the urge to flee for ne
Heather
First off, I have to mention the cover art. Ms. Catherine Jones Payne mentions in her acknowledgements about how lucky she felt to get such a cover. And it made me feel like we were fangirling together over it.

description

I mean, yeah, it looks kind of girly, but it's such an amazing design, and I love how it really makes the reader think this is going to be such a cutesy story about mermaids playing in the ocean and swimming with dolphins, and blah di blah blah.

BUT IT'S NOT.

This actually turned out to be
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Woman of Blood & Bone (Rogue Ethereal #1)
  • Prince of Stars, Son of Fate
  • Mermaid's Heart (Dark Sea Academy #2)
  • Freedom (Fae's Captive, #8)
  • Mermaid's Wish (Dark Sea Academy #3)
  • The Abyss (Fae's Captive, #7)
  • Bad Prince (Royally Unexpected, #1)
  • Mermaid's Song (Dark Sea Academy, #1)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Beast Hunter (Beast Hunters, #0.5)
  • Fae's Consort
  • Awaken (Awakened Fate #1)
  • The Bazaar (Fae's Captive, #6)
  • Spice Bringer
  • A Threat of Shadows (The Keeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Torrents (DROPLETS Trilogy Book 3)
  • Unwilling Bride (The Prince's Prisoner, #3)
  • Kill the Beast (Beast Hunters, #1)

Broken Tides (3 books)
  • Crosscurrent (Broken Tides #2)
  • Maelstrom (Broken Tides #3)

News & Interviews

“It's easy to move on when things are so bad that you can't stand them anymore. It's harder when they're just mediocre.” 14 likes
“I would rather die than hate.” 2 likes