Start by marking “The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)

The Killing Light

(The Sacred Throne #3)

The thrilling conclusion to Myke Cole's Sacred Throne trilogy

Heloise and her allies are marching on the Imperial Capital. The villagers, the Kipti, and the Red Lords are only united in their loyalty to Heloise. They face both internal religious strife and devils pouring through the rent in the veil between worlds, but must overcome everything to topple an empire.
Published November 12th 2019 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Killing Light, please sign up.
Kelsey Probably The Armored Saint, since the Killing Light is the final part of the trilogy ;)

Start your review of The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
Petrik
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the publisher—Tor.com—in exchange for an honest review.

A compelling read that offers a satisfying conclusion to The Sacred Throne trilogy.

I won’t be talking about the plot at all; there’s nothing about the story that I can say without spoiling something from the previous two books. As for what worked for me, there were many. I found the start of this book to be significantly better than the beginning of The Queen of Crows. This doesn’t mean that The Queen of Crows began horribly,
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"The need to give him what he wanted, to climb out of the machine and into his arms, was so great that it nearly overwhelmed the terror that gripped her at the thought of leaving the machine, the anxiety that if she embraced her father, she would be Heloise again, not the armored saint she needed to be."

The final book in Myke Cole's emotionally wrought The Sacred Throne trilogy, The Killing Light, is absolutely gorgeous. The series as a whole is one of my all-time favorites!

The progression on
FanFiAddict
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating:

Synopsis

The thrilling conclusion to Myke Cole’s Sacred Throne trilogy

Heloise and her allies are marching on the Imperial Capital. The villagers, the Kipti, and the Red Lords are united only in their loyalty to Heloise, though dissenting voices are many and they are loud.

The unstable alliance faces internal conflicts and external strife, yet they’re united in their common goal. But when the first of the devils start pouring through a rent in the veil between worlds, Heloise must strike a
Jon Adams
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfectly done.
Derrick Ranostaj
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars hands down. Great pace and action to this series. Sorry to see this series end but it goes to prove Myke Cole and an excellent story teller, historian, and Paladin in 5th Edition.

Highly recommend if you enjoy fantasy set in space. The plot really reminds me of Joan of Arc set to a campaign of War Hammer 40K

Caleb Masters
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The final book in Cole’s Sacred Throne series, The Killing Light a wonderfully satisfying conclusion to an excellent fantasy series. Blending intense action, a giant steampunk suit of armor, themes of religious extremism and free-will, world-ending battles with devils, and a queer love story; Cole’s novel contains multitudes. The central character of Heloise is far and away one or my favorite fantasy protagonists of the last few years - I would follow her anywhere. Exciting, face-paced, and ...more
Ginny
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
While not my favorite of the series, a very strong, very satisfying ending to Heloise's tale. Everything converges into one last battle, and things will never be the same.

I still do not like Heloise, but she has had a lot of growth over the three books, and we can definitely see the growth in Killing Light.

This is the first of the three that I read and did not listen to (thanks to NetGalley and the Publisher) and while I missed the narrator, I still heard her voice as I read Heloise :) so that
Kendra
What an amazing and emotional ending to this trilogy. Powerful yet human, the story had me fully invested in Heloise. Myke did a terrific job writing - allowing her to question herself, to be emotional balanced with being able to fight when needed, yet get hurt. Really enjoyed this storyline.
Lois Young
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A brilliant, a poignant, and a realistic end to this military fantasy series!!!

Review of the entire trilogy will be available in the future!
Jeff Harris
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, hardcover
Great conclusion to the story of Heloise Factor. Literally could not put this book down.
Lucas Rosen
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as an ARC and it was fantastic. It’s dark and brutal, and nothing was held back. Heloise’s arc is full of the same heavy hitting reality checks interspersed with her relentless pursuit of the justice she’s sought for three books. It’s a perfect wrap for a gritty, no-holds-barred series that’s a smash hit for Cole.
Clare Rhoden
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great adventure and a wonderful cast of characters. Fuller review when commitments elsewhere completed.
Enough to say that I ma now a rusted-on fan of Heloise and Xilyka.
Malum
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
A series that started strong but never really deeply explored its themes or gave a satisfying pay off for all of its set ups.

The main character's sexuality is never explored beyond literally falling instantly in love with any attractive girl she meets.

The themes of dangerous unyielding dogma isn't explored beyond "those church guys sure are jerks!".

The main character starts as a scared child, develops into a warrior who threatens everyone who doesn't listen to her with death in book 2, and
Josh
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
With The Killing Light Myke Cole brings The Sacred Throne trilogy to a dramatic and satisfying conclusion.

From the start, this series has been brutal and heartbreaking in its presentation of the world--not to shock or revel in the violence, but because the world can be a harsh and violent place. In slim volumes (for the fantasy genre), Cole builds an entire world out of a very contained story. Seen through the eyes of a single character, Cole's craft of world building and story telling is truly
The Captain
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys! This book is the final one of The Sacred Throne trilogy. While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven’t read the previous two then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

I really did enjoy getting the conclusion to the story of Heloise. I thought the series be satisfying on the whole and book three was a quick and engaging read. The highlight of this series for me were the character interactions and struggles. I actually liked Heloise’s viewpoints and
Kaitlan Bondurant
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were some real misty-eyed moments for me in this one. I'm sad to see this series end, but it ended in a way that doesn't feel rushed or unfinished, which is always great.

The problem I always have with short fantasy novels like this, however, is that I want MORE. There are so many interesting little threads of lore and history throughout the series that I really wanted a deep dive followed by the answers to allllllll the questions. Alas, I cannot and will not always get what I want, so I
Riki
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Screw it, 5-star, I don't care what shortcomings it had, that was damn fun to read. Excellent ending, even if one of the death (view spoiler) seemed random as hell (view spoiler) ...more
Daniel
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woah! What a story. If you ask me what is the Sacred Throne trilogy then I will describe it as Joan of Arc plus Warhammer 40k. This trilogy concluded with The Killing Light and it is a grimdark masterpiece.

I read The Killing Light in one sitting (this afternoon). This is an excellent conclusion to Heloise's journey. The last book is nail-biting stuff and I couldn't put it down. Although the trilogy is finished but the characters and their stories will stay with me. I was sad to see this trilogy
Joshua Gluck
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I appreciated this book in a way, but it kind of left me feeling unfulfilled in the end.

Some of the deeper questions regarding faith were just not answered. I didn't feel like I really understood some of the context of the world that events were occurring in, and that made it quite problematic.

Like, Planets are pretty big, so are places that don't follow the emperor just overrun with Demons? Cause it seems like anyone can be a Wizard anywhere.

Still a great examination of some of the
Tom
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read

The entire Sacred Throne series are absolute must reads. The fantasy and combat are balanced by the sheer humanity of the characters and especially Heloise. This is the culmination and conclusion of the series, so naturally the stakes are the highest. Courage, faith, growth, and love all must stand against overwhelming adversity...and not just from the devils plaguing the land. There are moments so tense you will fret, and tenderness that will bring tears. Enjoy the ride!
Azriel
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like the rest of the short series, THE KILLING LIGHT is relentlessly paces and barely over novella length. The ending of the series is apocalyptic, as Heloise and her companions face no longer the threat of tyranny, but something more apocalyptic. The world remains consistent, which is good, as we see so little of it outside of the events. Most importantly the tension is held until the very end.
Annarella
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, fantasy
A good fantasy, engrossing and entertaining.
I liked how this book mixes different tropes and manage to talk about serious topics like religious extremism.
Heloise, the MC, is well thought and interesting and all the characters are well thought.
Even if I didn't read the other books in this series I had no issues with the characters or the plot.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Cody
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. The story didn't quite take the direction I expected, but what it did, it did beautifully. Read the whole book in a single sitting. Without going into spoilers, I'll just say that at this point, if you're reading the third book in the trilogy, go for it. It's excellent, it's well-written, perfectly paced, and brings an interesting end to a trilogy that's dealt with love, loyalty, strength, and faith. Give it a read if you haven't.
Ryan Kapsar
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is pretty much the best kind of ending to this trilogy that Heloise could hope for. Not just her though, us as readers too. Cole's writing makes for a fast read. I really enjoyed the twists in closing out the trilogy. I hope that we're able to return to this world in the future, maybe 20 years from the ending of this series.
Sontaranpr
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 3 so you all already know what's going on. Wizardry is real and the Church of Arseholes kind of had a point in keeping it under wraps. Yet of course the CoA were hypocrites and had their own wizards, sorry, touched by the Emperor under wraps to use as weapons if required. Battles are fought, blood is spilt, and our protagonist gets beaten up even more.
Steve Martinson
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent ending to the trilogy! Watching ALL the characters change as the trilogy continued on, made for a very fun read. Even the covers expressed the growth of Heloise in a marvelous way. I would actually rate the whole series at about 4.5 stars. Read this. It has a different story to tell; at least I thought it was different and fun.
Zeta Syanthis
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I wanted to look in the mirror and know that people enjoyed my work not because it was an authentic military story written by a military service member, but because it was good."

You should be goddamned proud. It is one of the few masterpieces I've ever read. <3
Galen Strickland
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sacred Throne trilogy has concluded with The Killing Light. Slightly lower score for this one, but the series as a whole still gets a strong recommendation.

Zaphied
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Had to read this in short bursts over time to recover in-between since it released. Brutal emotion punishment seems to be a theme in the series. And at the end of suffering, was hope. I think I have to go tell a person a thing right now.
David Brawley
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Myke Cole's fantastic trilogy comes to a dramatic and satisfying conclusion. As with the other books in the series, my biggest complaint is that it's too short. I want to see so much more of the world. I want to see what happens next. I want more!

• Auberon: An Expanse Novella
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • The Forbidden Stars
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer #5)
  • Empress of Forever
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Wanderers
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark, #2)
  • Supernova Era
  • White Sand, Volume 3 (White Sand, #3)
As a security contractor, government civilian and military officer, Myke Cole’s career has run the gamut from Counterterrorism to Cyber Warfare to Federal Law Enforcement. He’s done three tours in Iraq and was recalled to serve during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. After hunting terrorists and criminals in real life, he kept up the job on TV, first tracking fugitives on CBS’ 2017 show Hunted, ...more

The Sacred Throne (3 books)
  • The Armored Saint (The Sacred Throne, #1)
  • The Queen of Crows (The Sacred Throne, #2)