Start by marking “The Last Temptations of Iago Wick (Lovelace & Wick, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Temptations of Iago Wick (Lovelace & Wick, #1)

The Last Temptations of Iago Wick

(Lovelace & Wick #1)

An alternate cover for this ASIN can be found here.

The city of Marlowe, Massachusetts is a lovely place to settle down… just ask its two resident demons.

For centuries, Iago Wick and his partner, Dante Lovelace, have meddled in the affairs of Man for the benefit of Hell—and had a damnably good time doing it.

Everything changes when a peculiar demon hunter with a murky past
Published February 19th 2017 by Amazon Digital Service

To ask other readers questions about The Last Temptations of Iago Wick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Temptations of Iago Wick

Start your review of The Last Temptations of Iago Wick (Lovelace & Wick, #1)
Teal
**** 4.5 stars ****

I adored this.

One thousand year-old demon Iago Wick exuberantly embraces his work of tempting humans to sign over their immortal souls:

Iago did love humans, their quirks, their passions, their bizarre rituals. They were gloriously innovative things, and when allowed, they found amazing ways to show their true mettle—whether it was Heaven or Hell that was to be the beneficiary. Humans were a tremendous medium in which to work.

And he's damned *ahem* good at his job. Dante L
Elena

Well, this was different.
It’s not every day that I get to read about a demon’s adventures and find myself rooting for him to succeed in winning souls for Hell and (view spoiler)
The writing was very good and I loved the dry humor permeating the whole book, it was what helped me going through the first half of the story, when I found it a little hard to sink into the plot. Somewhere into the second half, (view spoiler)
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~

This is different than my norm, and that first line almost scared me away, but I'm glad I kept at it (and talked my friends into a BR). The key to this series, I think, is not taking anything too seriously. It's very tongue-in-cheek and irreverent, and while the first third or so of the book is a bit gratuitous in some of the details, once things started picking up, it got a lot better and there's good humor scattered throughout.

Iago and Dante, both appropriately named, are demons born
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew by: Teal
This was an unexpected delight. I've so many books waiting TBR that I'd thrown dice to choose a page in my Kindle index, and then to choose a book on the page. Perhaps Iago Wick (brilliantly evocative name) had a hand in it.

Iago is a demon, driving hard bargains for men's souls on behalf of Hell. Fortunately for us, the only souls we see him stealing are those of thorough-going rotters, so we can sympathise with him without having to think too hard about the morality of the thing. The plot cante
Rosa
This is the first time I chose a spooky read to start on Halloween, horror isn't my to-go genre either but the chosen one was an unexpected surprise. Not everyday you find yourself in the "bad guys" side, wanting demons to succeed in gaining souls for Hell. I must say these two are pretty decent for being demons (I'm afraid I can't say the same of my fellow humans though), and being inside Iago's head is fun, I don't want to talk about the plot too much not to spoil it for others. I'd only say t ...more
WMD
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, mm-fntsy-scifi
Demons can be the good guys

And if you can't fathom that, don't read this book. This story follows Iago Wick, temptor, as he strolls through his small Massachusset's city,giving a small push to the wicked down the path passed redemption. Everyone has got a job to do, after all, and Iago is charming (and creepy and cruel) as he takes pride in creating just the right temptations for those near-to-damnation. Unusual for demons, I ago is not alone, as we also meet his partner, the Byronic Mr. Dante L
A.M. Rowe
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Any book that tells a story of angels and demons walking around incognito, and playing parts in the "divine comedy" will draw comparisons to Pratchet and Gaiman's 'Good Omens'. Jennifer Rainey's book does well in those comparisons. I believe that prose possessing wit and humor is one the rarest and most difficult things to find as a reader. Rainey's prose is entertaining, she achieves genuine comic timing with her writing. I can think of very few authors that can pull that off: Douglas Adam, Woo ...more
Bookish
A fabulously wicked read.

This is the first of two books in the ‘Wick and Lovelace’ steampunk/gaslamp fiction series, although both Iago Wick and Dante Lovelace both also appear in ‘Iago Wick and the Vampire Queen’.

Similar to life for a tempter such as Iago Wick, this book is never dull. Mystery, adventure, temptation and danger combine to provide a well paced, very entertaining read that hooks the reader early and proceeds to charm them into feeling far more empathy for a demon than most would
Tonytoni
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I had so much fun reading this book. The writing style may come as too dry for some, but I find it quite appealing. Can't wait to read the next one. XDD ...more
Fabiola Guerra
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished a great mini series called, The Last Temptations of Iago Wick (bk1), and The Binding of Dante Lovelace (bk2) by Jennifer Rainey.
Both take us through the story of two Demons and their lives in the Victorian era. In book 1, Iago must battle for his anti-human life as a determined and resourceful Demon hunter comes after him. Testing his resolve to stay alive and to admit to his true feelings for Dante...what will happen and what will his last Temptation be?
Absolutely loved the pac
Dana Fraedrich
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paranormal steampunk is right in one of my favorite niches. What made it even better for me, though, was the ambiance. The book takes place in Massachusetts in October. *cue the pumpkin spice invasion!* Fall is my all-time favorite!!! It was sooooooooo lovely snuggling down into Jennifer's gorgeous autumn-laced words.

The steampunk elements were pretty on point too - a pet peeve of mine is books that classify themselves as steampunk but mysteriously lack any of the elements. Not this one, though!
Mer Mendoza (Merlyn’s Book Hoard)
It’s all about that demonic aesthetic.

This book is something like if CS Lewis’s Screwtape Letters and Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s Good Omens got together and hatched a delightful little hell spawn. Iago Wick is an artist and a craftsman, a demon who takes pride in the creative flair that he adds to each of his demonic temptations. Dante Lovelace is his partner, in the romantic sense, and he leans so far into the gothic aesthetic he makes Edgar Allen Poe look positively pastel. Much like t
Carol Evans
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2019
The Last Temptations of Iago Wick is such a fun book. Yes, Iago Wick and Dante Lovelace are demons, but they’re not evil. Well, maybe a bit, but mostly it’s because temptation and catastrophe are their callings. Lucifer gave demons a purpose. They really do enjoy people, like being on earth (it’s way better than Hell, even for a demon).

Iago is a tempter. The souls he’s after are already well on their way to hell, he just gives the final push. His current assignment involves the men in a secret s
Michelle | michelledevoursbooks
Demon and gentleman Iago Wick is tasked to claim nefarious souls for Hell's legions. Based in the eerie Marlowe, Massachussetts, Iago must annihilate the Fraternal order of the Scarab, his final assignment before his big promotion. Everything is going swimmingly until Thomas Atichson sticks his nose into his business. A mysterious inventor, Atichson hunts demons and has his sights on Wick. Secrets, society, and murder abound in this delightfully hellish adventure.

I absolutely loved this book! I'
Michelle
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is quite an interesting little read. It blazes quickly and is a fun romp. It's very well written with engaging characters. It kinda reads a bit like a Good Omens fanfiction, but I won't knock that against it. I appreciate the fact that two gay couples feature so prominently in a way that isn't voyeuristic or made into a huge to do. These characters simply exist, queer demons and demon hunters as they are.

Iago and Dante are both really enjoyable anti-heroes/villain protagonists. I loved the
Emily Hill
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was hard to put this book down and I truly enjoyed it from cover to cover. For anyone that loves paranormal, science fiction or horror elements this book is a must! While reading it I was looking for other things to compare it to and every time I believed I had something that would make a decent comparison this book surprised me with a round of originality again. It is a very interesting take on demons and their interactions not only with humans but other supernatural beings and keeps you int ...more
Cindy Neary
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unsettling read

This is a sort of grimmer version of C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters. A Story in which a demon is the protagonist who carefully crafts temptations as a sort of art form. But this demon is a much more fully developed character that Lewis' demon with inner conflicts and his own sort of moral code. Could be the first in a series possibly.
J.C. Paulk
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting read!

The author has captured an enchanting, beautifully written account of a demon struggling with, gasp!, his moral quandary and struggle with being a slave to the lower powers that be. I enjoyed this book very much and am quite looking forward to reading the rest of the series!
Adam R Stokes
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining

I want sure what to expect when I picked this one up but was pleasantly surprised. The story pulls you along nicely and the main characters all have actual personality. Iago himself makes you pull for the demon even as he deceives or otherwise leads people to sign away their souls.
Abigail
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Felt a bit rough at the start but the story quickly found its stride and was a very fun and entertaining read! I find myself hoping that we will be treated to more stories of Iago's future adventures. ...more
Lj Regner
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun romp

A writer's masterpiece, this is not. A light, smart, funny tale with interestingly quirky characters, it most certainly is. I am looking for the next in - what I hope is - the series!
John Porter
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun, inclusive read.

Cute read. A fantasy story that is LGBT inclusive- gotta love it. Not on the level of Gaiman, but a solid Fantasy story that reminds me a little bit of Good Omens. Looking forward to more.
Tequila
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iago and Dante automatically reminded me of the relationship between Aziraphale and Crowley from Good Omens, even though Iago and Dante are both demons. This was such a fun read and I look forward to more adventures from these two demons.
Jason S. Parker
Devilishly unique

I enjoyed this book thoroughly. The characters were great and a nice plot twist. Can't wait until book two. Looking for more books by the author.
Stephani
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
This was a fun book. I look forward to the next in the series.
Jim
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it.
Stephanie
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
New author for me. Interesting plot, and an oddly likable demon as the MC. I will definitely read the next book in the series.
Kristin
Cute story. Felt like a good setup for the trilogy. Hoping the second book hits the ground running.
Nm
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Fun

An enjoyable little romp, nothing too taxing, with intriguing characters played to their best attributes. Every now and again simply enjoyable is best.
Ruth Gibbs
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Last Temptations of Iago Wick is a beautifully macabre story that brings together elements of Lovecraftian horror, Austinian comedy, and Gothic mystery that blend into a beautifully verbose and bloody portrait. Any story that can cold-open with a man cutting out his own tongue and still leave me hungry for a delicious quail afterwards has fully earned five stars.
Goodreads Librari...: Paperback edition missing book cover 2 180 Jun 06, 2017 09:35AM

• The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Primal Sin (Primal Sin, #1)
  • You Only Live Once (Oddjobs, #3)
  • The Wizard's Butler
  • Strange Practice (Dr. Greta Helsing, #1)
  • Hannah Green and Her Unfeasibly Mundane Existence
  • Say You’ll Be Nine (Say You'll Be Nine, #1)
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Oddjobs (Oddjobs #1)
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
  • Last Orders (The Dublin Trilogy #3)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Earth Fathers Are Weird
Jennifer Rainey is a sometimes-writer, sometimes-folk singer from beautiful central Ohio. When she's not busy writing, you can probably find her perusing antique malls or watching classic horror films.

To keep an eye on what she's up to, please check out http://jenniferraineyauthor.blogspot.com.

Lovelace & Wick (3 books)
  • Binding Dante Lovelace (Lovelace & Wick #2)
  • The Army of Angels (Lovelace & Wick #3)