Start by marking “No Kimchi for Me!” as Want to Read:
No Kimchi for Me!

No Kimchi for Me!

Yoomi hates stinky, spicy kimchi―the pickled cabbage condiment served at Korean meals. So her brothers call her a baby and refuse to play with her.
Yoomi is determined to eat kimchi. She tries to disguise it by eating it on a cookie, on pizza, and in ice cream. But that doesn't work. Then Grandma shows Yoomi how to make kimchi pancakes. This story about family, food, and a
Published 2017 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about No Kimchi for Me!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Kimchi for Me!

Start your review of No Kimchi for Me!
Jasmine
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yoomi is determined to eat kimchi after her brothers call her a Baby for not eating it, but it's Just Too Spicy! Will she ever conquer it? Will her brothers stop teasing her? Will Grandma find a way to solve this problem?

(spoilers: yes)
Autumn
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love kimchi, cats, and grandmas, so count me WAY IN. 5 stars for the endpapers alone.
Heidi
A cute book about learning to accept things you don't like or at least finding the most palatable version for yourself. A fun look at Korean cuisine.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, food
Yoomi loves her grandmother's Korean cooking except for stinky, spicy kimchi until grandma makes into a pancake for her. A charming family story with lovely, bold, colorful illustrations.
Natalie
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO CUTE. The author was born in Cincinnati and raised in South Korea. Includes recipe for Kimchi pancakes.
Amanda
What do we do when we have a food that we (gasp!) hate? Especially when that food is a family favorite, a food that has strong ties to our family's culture/heritage? Sometimes choking it down for the sake of family peace is not the answer. Thank goodness, for the grandma in this story and her creative approach to food dislikes. Lovely illustrations.
Barbara
Most readers will be able to relate to Yoomi's plight. Many of us have certain family dishes that are our favorites, but there are others that just don't taste too appealing. In Yoomi's case, that's how it is with kimchi. Try as she might, she just cannot enjoy the spicy food. When her brothers tease her about being too much of a baby to love the traditional Korean dish, she is determined to find a way to tolerate it. Unfortunately, not even pizza or a chocolate chip cookie can disguise the ...more
Cheriee Weichel
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grandchildren
I predict a Korean feast in our future. It will include kimchi pancakes!
I like Aran Kim’s charming illustrations showing the characters as cats. I’m impressed at how human they all manage too look.
Angela
Yes, please. I would like to try your kimchi pancake.
Cat Haws
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommend? - Yes!
Would I add it to my collection? - Maybe so
Would I read it again? - Yes!
Story analysis:
Our main character is Yoomi, the youngest of three kittens, who does not like eating kimchi, but she wants to prove her teasing brothers wrong. In the end, Grandma comes to the rescue. The length of the plot is apt, and there is a distinct arc.
Character design:
The four cats are distinct and unique. Yoomi is relatable for those of us who don't like certain foods. Yoomi is a strong-willed
storymamas
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aram Kim has written and illustrated this wonderful book full of depth called No Kimchi For Me!

The book takes you on a journey of youngest sibling, Yoomi and her quest to like Kimchi. She tries it several times and can’t seem to like it. Unfortunately her older brothers think she’s a baby for not liking it. Little do her brothers know, Yoomi is a character with drive & determination and stops at nothing to try and like the spicy food. When Yoomi’s latest plan doesn’t work, in steps her
Cecilia
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I both adored and hated this book, thus I had to give it five stars.

So little Yoomi hates Kimchi, but after her brothers keep calling her a baby, she is determined to like it. She tries it on a lot of different things (to no avail) when her grandmother finally makes her Kimchi pancakes (which she loves). Yoomi gets to play with her brothers again since she proved she wasn't a baby, and all is well.

What I loved: If you hate something, trying it in a lot of different ways CAN be very beneficial
Iris
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Kimchi pancakes are delicious! After reading this book, I really wanted some hot kimchi pancakes with that crispy texture on the outside, yet slightly chewy inside. The illustrations feature bright colors and clean lines. I noticed the bullying older brothers have eyes that feature a different style from Yoomi's and her Grandmother's eyes, which make the brothers look less cute and kind of dead on the inside... Bullying is not nice! The story is straight-forward, which makes it good for reading ...more
Jana
From the same author who wrote Cat on the Bus, the sweet nearly wordless picture book about a homeless cat riding the city bus that is taken in by a sweet grandfather, comes another heartwarming book that illustrates the way grandparents use their love and wisdom to help their younger grandchildren learn and grow. Yoomi's grandmother has come for a visit and treats the family to all sorts of yummy, traditional Korean dishes. Yoomi loves most of these foods, but when she tries to eat the kimchi ...more
carrietracy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars really. Little Yoomi finds kimchi too spicy and her older brothers use this to tease her and call her a baby. Determined to prove she is a big girl, Yoomi keeps trying and with her grandmother's help, she manages to find a way to love kimchi as much as the rest of the family.

I've always had a soft spot for books about food and sharing food with family. This is no exception. I particularly LOVE how it shows that "not liking" a food right now is something that can be overcome and that
Becky B
Little Yoomi doesn't like kimchi but she wants to be able to eat it to prove she is a big girl to her brothers. She tries a variety of methods, but Grandma may have the best idea.

I can totally see this happening in a Korean family. I lived in Korea for a while and slowly learned to love the many varieties of kimchi (sadly it no longer loves me). Kids will likely either laugh or get grossed out by the ideas Yoomi has for how to get the kimchi swallowable. Reader's can try out Grandma's solution
Christine Irvin
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yoomi and her two siblings are at Grandma's house for lunch. Yoomi loves the seaweed, anchovies, egg omelet, and bean sprouts Grandma gives her to eat. But she refuses to eat her kimchi. She says it is stinky and spicy. Her siblings eat theirs and then taunt her by calling her a baby because she would eat hers.

After lunch, her siblings won't let her play with them because the game they are playing is "not for babies." Yoomi doesn't want to be treated like a baby, but she really, really doesn't
Sarai Lillie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children ages 3-5
Recommended to Sarai by: random library selection
Yoonmi hates kimchi. She thinks it is far too spicy and stinky, but her brothers tease her and call her a baby because she won't it eat. What can she do to get her brothers to stop calling her a baby?

This story centers around a little cat named Yoonmi who loves her grandmother and all the food her grandmother makes. Except kimchi. This is a fun story and a great way to introduce small children to different cultures and different food. There is even a great recipe in the back of the book!

Aram Kim
Kyra Nay
Kim captures a common childhood dilemma - finding the taste of a culturally important food to be too spicy, too sour, too pungent, etc. (for me, the dreaded food was sauerkraut). Yoomi can't make herself eat spicy kimchi, though she tries. She endures her brothers' teasing until Grandma comes up with a clever plan.

This would be a good early school age storytime book. Don't miss the endpapers - the front endpapers feature the ingredients in kimchi, while the final endpapers show the wide variety
Sheri
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a story about not liking a healthy food from Grandmother's cooking. The m.c. is teased because she doesn't like Korean kimchi. Yoomi tries to use kimchi in other dishes but it doesn't work. Finally, with the help of Grandma's recipes she is able to try it in a new way she likes. And at the end of the book is the recipe. A reading can bring about a discussion with children about their food likes and dislikes and what they didn't like last year and have learned to like or will never ...more
Viviane Elbee
Usually when you see a book about kids not liking a particular food, the kids are determined to avoid it at all costs. This book has a refreshing twist - Yoomi, the main character, is determined to teach herself to like it. (I’m not sure the title accurately reflects the story because of this, but that’s ok.)

The cats are cute and it introduces kids to Korean cuisine. There’s a recipe in the back.

Kids voted to give this book 5 stars. It’s a good length & quick read - perfect for preschoolers
Nat Whitman
Lively illustrations and quick pacing keeping this book interesting and fun. Cleanly drawn cat family keeps kids engaged. I particularly like how Korean food is highlighted in a way that children from any culture can relate. We all know kids are wary of "spicy foods" and the attention to detail in this book will educate and inspire every one to eat more Kimchi and enjoy more Korean food. I'm gearing up to try the "Kimchi Pancake" recipe in the back!
Mala Ashok
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Yoomi who doesn't want to be labeled a baby. Unfortunately since she doesn't like kimchi her brothers tease her, calling her "baby." Yoomi tries hard to eat kimchi by pairing it with Cookies, Pizza, and even Ice cream but nothing helps. Then grandma comes to the rescue by making kimchi pancakes and Yoomi is saved! A cute book read out wonderfully in the audio version. Your child (and you too ) will love this book.
typewriterdeluxe
Yoomi loves Grandma's cooking but she can't handle the strong, spicy flavor of kimchi. Desperate to eat big kid food, she looks for a way to enjoy it.

No Kimchi for me is a sweet story; the illustrations are wonderful (don't forget to check out the front and back endpages as well); and Aram Kim has been very generous to provide her own mom's recipe for the reader to make at home! (Can confirm it's delicious.)
Kelsey
Age: Preschool
Culture: Korean

As much as she's tried to enjoy it, Yoomi hates stinky, spicy kimchi. As her brothers taunt her for being a baby, Yoomi tries to find different ways to mask the original taste. Grandma steps in and offers a perfect solution. A perfect read-aloud for a food week with a relatable premise of hating a much adored dish.
Caleigh Lovitt
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute book about a cat being called a baby because she didn't like the taste of kimchi like the rest of her family. In the end, the grandmother cat taught her how to make kimchi pancakes, which she loved. It introduces the Korean cuisine and culture to children and gives a fun recipe at the end.
Desiree
Yoomi usually loves her grandmother's cooking. But when it comes to kimchi she can't get past the smell or the taste. Her older siblings tease her and call her a baby. Yoomi tries many ways to eat kimchi, but she still hates it. Her grandmother sympathizes and helps Yoomi learn a new way to enjoy Kimchi. Great book for picky eaters and their parents!
Lara
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Bright clear illustrations about a little cat trying a new food. Also, Grandmas are wonderful and know the solutions for everything. Could be a good storytime book for Asian or Korean history/culture months, or about simply trying new foods.

(Honestly, I agree with Yoomi and am not big on kimchi. Maybe I need to try this recipe too!)
Teresa Bateman
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
In a family of Korean cats poor Yoomi is teased by her brothers because she doesn't like spicy kimchi. They call her a baby, but Grandma steps in with a solution--kimchi pancakes! This is a sweet multi-cultural story with bold pencil and pastel digital illustrations. Enjoy the kimchi pancake recipe at the back, and don't forget to check out the end papers!
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 next »

• Where's Halmoni?
  • Under My Hijab
  • Why?
  • The Big Umbrella
  • Ojiichan's Gift
  • There Are No Bears in This Bakery
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • Maybe Tomorrow?