Start by marking “El odio que das” as Want to Read:
El odio que das

El odio que das

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  157,916 Ratings  ·  27,131 Reviews
Starr es una chica de dieciséis años de edad que viven entre dos mundos: un barrio pobre de gente negra donde nació, y su instituto situado en un elegante barrio residencial blanco. El difícil equilibrio entre ambos se hace añicos cuando ella se convierte en testigo de la muerte a tiros de su mejor amigo, Khalil, a manos de un policía. A partir de ese momento, todo lo que ...more
Published May 3rd 2017 by Océano Gran Travesía (first published February 28th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about El odio que das, please sign up.
K Jay It is not preachy at all. But then again it is a topic that can stand to be preached about since lots of people seem to miss the point, and are not…moreIt is not preachy at all. But then again it is a topic that can stand to be preached about since lots of people seem to miss the point, and are not empathetic AT ALL.
This is a wonderfully told story, with lots of different perspectives. Thought provoking. It does not capitalize on the social/political/racial issues. Although, all 3 need attention, because we STILL deal with these issues everyday.(less)
lucky little cat It's a remarkable book. If you're considering buying it for your own middle-grader, I'd suggest that you read it too. Your son or daughter will have…moreIt's a remarkable book. If you're considering buying it for your own middle-grader, I'd suggest that you read it too. Your son or daughter will have questions, not necessarily about the swearing or the sex, but almost certainly about the racism.

Profanity and sex are handled responsibly by the author. And the racism is too. (less)

Emily May
The truth casts a shadow over the kitchen—people like us in situations like this become hashtags, but they rarely get justice. I think we all wait for that one time though, that one time when it ends right.
Maybe this can be it.

There are those books that are important and timely, worthy of reading because of the social and/or political message that they send. They fill a gap in the market; they make waves. They need to exist. And there are other books that are well-written, emotionally-charged
Emma Giordano
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a MUST READ for 2017 releases.

I absolutely adored this book. I truly don't feel like it has a single flaw. Every topic addressed was approach so wonderfully and did not hold back. If you're looking for a diverse read that stands out amongst most YA, The Hate U Give is the book for you.

I love Starr Carter so much. She's honestly such an inspiration to girls looking to find their voice. She is resilient, authentic, and everything we need in adolescents today. Although she is not comple
Kai
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2017, important

Every white person on this planet needs to read this book.

"Lack of opportunities. Corporate America don't bring jobs to our communities, and they damn sure ain't quick to hire us. Then, even if you do have a high school diploma, so many schools in our neighbourhoods don't prepare us well enough. Our schools don't get the resources to equip you. It's easier to find some crack than it is to find a good
Lola
‘‘A hairbrush is not a gun.’’

This doesn’t make any sense. And I hope that to you, too, it will not make any sense.

Starr may only be sixteen, but she has already witnessed two murders in her life: the first of a young black girl in a drive by and the second of a young black boy shot multiple times by a cop.

While she was in the car. Even though they didn’t do anything wrong. Even though he was unarmed.

‘‘A hairbrush is not a gun.’’

Does that make any sense to you? You can’t just kill someone be
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
This was such a heartbreakingly honest account of what is happening in America right now. As a white reader, the experience this story affords its readers cannot be taken for granted. Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, this book takes you into the heart of Garden Heights after the main character has witnessed the wrongful murder of her best friend Khalil by a police officers. Being Canadian, as well as being white, I have the privilege of not having to deal with any of the things Starr ...more
Drew
This is a book I've been avoiding reviewing.

I finished The Hate U Give a while back, rated it two stars, but never dared write any of my thoughts about it - why? Because every single review I've seen of this book is 4 stars or above and showers it in seemingly endless praise. When it seems like you're the only person in the world who didn't like a book, reviewing it can be a little intimidating.

Also, this book focused on an incredibly sensitive topic nowadays - racism. Now, before I start making
Em
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads, favorites
THE TRAILER FOR THE MOVIE GAVE ME ACTUAL GOOSEBUMPS I CAN’T WAIT TO WATCH IT MULTIPLE TIMES

When you're reading books like The Hate U Give, you're reading someone's decision against silence. This book has made me feel every single possible emotion at the same time. It was truly incredible and I have SO MUCH to say about it I wish I could actually just send everyone a howler containing the entire script of this book instead.

“What's the point of having a voice if you're gonna be silent in those m
may ❀
Update 11/1/2017
I wanted to just clarify a few things from my original review bc I feel like some things were lost in translation ha

i'm not going to be like deleting mass amounts of the review, just adding like little captions for further explanation.

All the opinions are my own based off my life experience and knowledge as a Canadian PoC. I cannot talk on behalf of anyone else.

Anyways, just ignore me.

Update: you don't understand how fricken sorry I am for having this fricken review reappear on
Adam Silvera
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
GET READY, WORLD!
Sabaa Tahir
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtful, honest and fantastic book. One of 2017's shining stars for sure. Highly, highly recommend.
Samantha
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2017
This is one of the best audiobooks I've listened to all year. If you are considering reading this one, listen to it. You wont regret it.
Melanie
It has taken me a long while to compose this review, because this book is the most powerful book I've ever read. It is important, educational, and happening in our world right now as you're reading this review. If you can only read one book in 2017, please pick this one.

This book is inspired by the #BlackLivesMatter movement, where sixteen-year-old Starr witnesses her best friend, who is an unarmed black boy, be killed by a police officer. Starr is scared to speak up, constantly battling what t
C.G. Drews
This has got to be one of the most hyped books in the existence of YA evers. And you know what? It is 5000% WORTHY of that hype and more and basically get thee to this book and read it as soon as possible. It perfectly combines a really important story about #BlackLivesMatter and speaking up for it with absolutely excellent writing and storytelling. Like, dude, this book is important and one of the best contemporaries.

So I have to admit: the character are what makes it that just something incred
Larry H
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow.

In my life so far, I've had the opportunity to experience many different things, but there are certain things I'll never get/have to experience. For example, I'll never experience childbirth, not that I'm complaining, although I once had a cortisone shot in my hip flexor, and my orthopedist said she thought those hurt just as badly. (You can debate on that.)

I'm also fortunate enough that I'll never have to worry about the police viewing me as a threat as soon as they see me, just b
Melisa - Traveling Sister
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
When you read a 444 page book in one day bc you can’t put it down. Powerful.

Yeah, I don’t think I can write a review for this one other than to say everyone (of a certain age/maturity) should read this. Poignant, important and timely.
karen
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
congratulations, 2017 goodreads choice winner in both best YA fiction AND best debut goodreads author!!

i rarely read realistic YA - if i’m going to read YA, i prefer fantasy or survival stuff where teens are in peril. but this was recommended to me by too many people to put aside "for later,” and while there are plenty of teens in peril, this sure ain’t fantasy.

it earns every one of its rave reviews; it’s an important, timely book that doesn’t feel as though it was thrown together in order to c
Elyse
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook: A VERY NON-TRADITIONAL REVIEW: - just sharing....not really a review...

My typical days are like boot camp lately -walking between 7-10 miles a day -PLUS an hour circuit weight resistance class ( 4 mile walk to class from my house) -- then I often walk to a cafe - eat & drink something - check-in with Goodreads -- try to touch base with this community- a few 'one-on- one' chatting exchanges--during my sitting break.
Sometimes I try to talk into the phone while I walk. Typos exposed
Candace
After reading this book, I can certainly see what all the uproar is about. 'The Hate U Give' addresses the very sensitive issues of race relations and police brutality in a time when the nation is torn over these issues. Most of my friends are at one extreme or the other when it comes to the #Blacklivesmatter movement. Since I don't want to incite an online mobbing, I'm going to do my best to avoid that movement specifically, while sharing my thoughts and opinions on this wonderful book.

First of
R.K. Gold
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, talk about a book that can hit you with every emotion possible. Starr's character was so well written that every time she had to interact with her high school friends I cringed at their responses. This is an incredibly powerful book, not just for its political message but for the internal conflict Starr is struggling with. The story was so much deeper than that initial conflict, it really dug into who Starr is and why she feels guilty even though the reader is screaming at the pages "You ha ...more
Jessica
Wow. This book was phenomenal. it completely lived up to the hype.

I have a lot of thoughts on this so here they are (keep in mind this is coming from an Asian American from the Bay Area):

I loved how educational it was. It really made you understand the Black Lives Matter movement and the reality of it. It hit every single point and put you right in the middle of it.

I also liked how Angie Thomas made brought up big points in really subtle ways. For example, “Funny how it works with white kids th
Hannah Greendale

Authentic, funny, and occasionally overlong. The Hate U Give is saturated with poignant messages about community, bravery, and the power of one voice.

Clau R.
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like a 4.5 :).

I loved this book so much. It made me see things from a different perspective. It educated me.
Romie
For all the white people who said this book was racist, let me tell you one thing : racism was invented by white people. You can feel prejudiced or discriminated against, but don’t call it racism.

I’m a biracial person - hi my dad’s family’s from Vietnam. And as a biracial person I found this book quite hard to read sometimes mostly because of all the comments on interracial relationships. But now again, the way I have to deal with racism isn’t the same way Black people have to deal with it, so o
Trina (Between Chapters)
Video review (6 Reasons To Read It)- https://youtu.be/XM_c3_KTEX4

Read this.

Not only is this a timely and powerful story, but Angie Thomas has the writing range of a seasoned pro. Starr's voice is refreshing, real, and relatable. This book had some of the most well developed characters that I've ever read. Thomas switches gears from writing a basketball game, to a day working retail, to a family dinner, to a prom scene, to a murder, to rioting in the streets without ever missing a beat. It ha
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This was an amazing book and completely understand why everyone has been raving about it!

It will make you laugh with all the Harry Potter references, cry with all the horrible things that happen and will bring us all closer in our hate for Hailey (kidding... kinda :P)

4.5?
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
***Special congrats to Angie Thomas for wiping the floor with her competition in the GR Choice Awards 2017!***

16-year-old Starr Carter's life unravels when she becomes sole witness to the brutal murder of her childhood friend, Khalil Harris. Khalil was an unarmed black boy gunned down by a white police officer.

At its core this is a story we've all heard before. It's a story we're seeing an alarming amount of the time on the news these days. It's a story that is powerful & tragic & relev
I want to put this book in everybody's hands. It is so important and SO good. I cannot stress this enough. Anything I say won't even do the book justice. Just know this is a standout novel that will take the world by storm. It is the best book I have read in years by far. I cannot recommend it enough.

Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, it confronts issues of race and class sending an incredibly powerful message to readers. I cannot help but feel thankful that there is finally a novel th
may ➹ (hiatus)
UPDATE DEC 4/5, 2017

Yesterday I found out that this book has been banned in a Texas school district (Katy ISD). And honestly??? I’m so angry right now. Y’all probably don’t know this, but I was born and currently live in Texas (hence my use of the word “y’all”), so I’m just extremely!! frustrated!! with the state I call “home”!!!!

The hypothetical reasons for this ban are really, truly, insanely stupid. They say that it might be because of sexual content―sex was literally mentioned only TWICE in
Laurie Anderson
I love this book! You will, too!

Plenty of others have done a great job summarizing the story, so I won't waste your time with a synopsis. But you should know that this book transported me - I cared so deeply about the characters that it was disorienting when I lifted my eyes from the page. This is an OUTSTANDING novel. I predict it will go down as one of the top titles of 2017.

I bow deeply with all respect to Angie Thomas - the craft and imagination and heart she wove into this masterpiece is b
Donalyn
Reread. Can we just give Angie Thomas all of the awards right now?
Diversity in All ...: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (October 2017) 167 401 21 hours, 0 min ago
Mocha Girls Read: Book of the Month: The Hate U Give 31 179 Jul 17, 2018 01:29PM
Reading between t...: Reviews 1 2 Jul 16, 2018 07:31AM
Spine Crackers: * The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas 1 8 Jul 15, 2018 11:09AM
  • Dear Martin
  • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
  • My So-Called Bollywood Life
  • The Gallery of Unfinished Girls
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • The Gauntlet
  • How to Make a Wish
  • Mask of Shadows (Mask of Shadows #1)
  • Sea Witch
  • After the Fall
  • American Street
  • The Girl with the Red Balloon (The Balloonmakers, #1)
  • Allegedly
Angie Thomas was born, raised, and still resides in Jackson, Mississippi as indicated by her accent. She is a former teen rapper whose greatest accomplishment was an article about her in Right-On Magazine with a picture included. She holds a BFA in Creative Writing from Belhaven University and an unofficial degree in Hip Hop. She can also still rap if needed. She is an inaugural winner of the Walt ...more
More about Angie Thomas

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right.” 1016 likes
“What's the point of having a voice if you're gonna be silent in those moments you shouldn't be?” 651 likes