Start by marking “Daredevil: Born Again” as Want to Read:
Daredevil: Born Again

Daredevil: Born Again

(Daredevil (1964) #227-233)

In this larger-than-life theater, the forces of corruption and redemption have at one another with a Wagnerian intensity that rivals the very best this medium has ever produced. At stake - one man's immortal, indestructible soul.
Published November 26th 2001 by Marvel Comics (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Daredevil, please sign up.
Luciana Ducceschi It's fine to start with if you're familiar with Daredevil as a character (and all of the side characters in his stories). But it's probably not a a gr…moreIt's fine to start with if you're familiar with Daredevil as a character (and all of the side characters in his stories). But it's probably not a a great book to start with if you know absolutely nothing about 80s daredevil.(less)

Start your review of Daredevil: Born Again
Ben Brown
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was good. Really good, even. Yet what’s frustrating about “Born Again” is how SO FREAKIN’ CLOSE it comes to greatness…but ultimately, in the final stretch, falls short.

The first half of the arc, I would argue, is undeniably great–Frank Miller was born to write Daredevil, and the set-up of the story–which centers around the Kingpin finally learning Daredevil’s secret identity, and proceeding to make Matt Murdock’s life a complete and utter living hell–is sublimely done, especially as it’s n
David Dalton
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action, favorites
The Best Daredevil story arc of them all!

I remember reading these issues years ago when they were first published and it felt so good to re-read them in this most excellent collection. Miller's writing is fantastic. Matt Murdock goes thru hell and then redemption. I need to read this again in a few years. I never get tired of this story.
Trang Tran (Bookidote)
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
description
Trang reviewing a comic ?! ITS BEEN LIKE YEARS LOL Of course it had to beDaredevil. Not any ordinary volumes. This graphic novel is a must for any Daredevil Fans. Although, it picks up wayy wayy after the incidents from Netflix's show so if you don't want to get spoiled. Do not read this graphic novel hahaha. A marvelous classic and having plunged into the Marvel Universe there are familiar faces that came back in this volume and different details referencing to other series from Marvel. The act
Andrew Webb
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I finished reading Born Again, I knew that I had finished a very special story. Not only my favorite comic book story (and I've read a few!) this seven issue run, in which the Kingpin of Crime discovers that his archenemy Daredevil is in fact the lawyer Matt Murdock, is a cantidate for my favorite work of fiction in any medium. It offers romance-- not two beautiful people falling in love because it makes a good panel to close the story with, but a ruined, homeless ex-lawyer who is reu ...more
Checkman
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can remember in 1980 when Frank Miller took over Daredevil. I was twelve years old and I was stunned by the changes that he implemented. Suddenly one of my favorite costumed crime-fighters had moved into the world of adult crime fiction - or so it seemed to me at the time. Back in 1980 we weren't using the term "re-boot" for such an action, but that's exactly what Miller did. Throughout the decade other characters would undergo the same treatment by Miller (Batman) and others, but Daredevil wa ...more
Greg
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
When I was younger I remember liking this story and then getting a little bored with it. Daredevil at the time was my favorite comic book, and for seven issues, or seven months the story took a break so that Daredevil's life could be utterly destoryed. I got a little bored and wanted the good stuff to come back, but that was only because seven months is a long time when you're twelve years old (or however old I was).
Re-reading this now is great. Possibly darker than Miller's Batman work that he
Jedhua
My Brief Bookshelf Overview: feels-realistic-or-credible, gave-up-before-finishing, grim, mature, steady-storytelling-style, unrealized-potential

Other Useful Reviews: Mike's review

Additional Notes: This collection contains Daredevil issues #226-233.

Probable Rating (if I had finished this) : {3/5 stars}

When drug addict Karen Page – also a former lover of Matt's – divulges Daredevil's secret identity to the Kingpin in exchange for a fix, Matt Murdock's whole life is turned upside down, and
Andrew
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just realized this is my only 5 star review for a superhero book.

I haven't read it in a long time, but I do recall loving it and reading it more than once. I love, love, love Mazzucchelli. I think he does a good job with formalist style with rigid perspective and consistency between frames. But he combines that with a loose line that allows the characters to come alive. Or something like that. He's certainly one of my favourite cartoonists, which was solidified in his future work like Rubber
Michael Finocchiaro
My NSFCCDP friend m.poulet suggested I get a little more up to speed on my classic comix and he strongly recommended Frank Miller’s Daredevil. I found Daredevil Reborn on a recent business trip and was blown away. I remember the DD costume from glancing through comics as a kid, but never read the story and felt like a moron when I said to m.poulet, “Oh, so he’s BLIND!” No shit sherlock. He is the blind superhero, that’s why Matt Murdoch is super strong and fearless. His adversary King Pin is a m ...more
Richard Guion
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This epic storyline still packs a punch nearly 30 years later! I re-read this arc in the original comic book issues I collected and still have. I think when I originally read it we had no idea about the plot - that Karen Page, Daredevil's first soap opera love interest from the first 50 odd issues, divulged his secret identity as Matt Murdock. This information quickly makes its way to the Kingpin, who goes about destroying Murdock's life in a very thorough manner. Murdock has everything stripped ...more
Gavin Abdollahi
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, classic, comics, dark, marvel
First off, let me get one thing straight:
This story is really dark.
Like, it's the darkest superhero story I've ever read.

So, mild spoilers up ahead, don't read on if you're one of those chaps who likes to jump into a tale without knowing what it's about.

In this story, Karen Page, once Nelson & Murdcok's secretary, now junky/former adult film star, sells out Daredevil's secret identity to get a bit more heroine.
Matt Murdock's life is falling apart, though it's not really made clear why. As if
Caroline
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A really well-executed and compelling story that stands on its own. There are some eye-rolling story elements (witness Matt Murdock's junkie-whore ex girlfriend who sells him out for a fix, then goes to find him so he'll save her from the nasty Latin American men who are exploting her), but neither Frank Miller's craziness nor the grim-and-gritty '80s comics aesthetic had descended into total cliche at this point. And David Mazzucchelli is an absolute master.

(Also, for some reason, I really like
Jevron McCrory
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, simply put, the BEST superhero comic book story I have EVER read!

Leave your reservations about this merely being a comic book at the door. This story is gut wrenchingly emotional and surprisingly realistic.

It's ultimately, as all the best superhero stories are, about the man behind the mask and the depths he is willing to go in order to protect all that he holds dear.

It's a bleak, VIOLENT story with bitter undertones yet, as the story concludes, our blind hero far worse off than
Garrett price
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
You would think the team behind Batman Year one would have done a good job with this, I thought this sucked. Read The Man Without Fear instead
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Born Again (DD #227-231). Born Again is easily one of the best stories ever in Daredevil, and probably surpasses Frank Miller's brilliant work on his original run, because this is more obviously the work of a mature storyteller. Part of that is the subject matter: Wilson Fisk discovering Matt's secret identity and destroying his life is a great concept. (The character assassination of Karen Page is a bit less great, but it certainly does something with a character no one cared about at the time ...more
Roberto
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The first issues were a success: a complex and mature plot, painted with humane colors and developed with both feet on the ground. But the last two issues, man, they were so incongruent, so obscene, that it was simply disgusting.

(view spoiler)
Brian Rogers
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I remember when these issues came out in the mid 80's and it was like someone dropped a bomb on the Marvel comics scene. After taking the character from B-C lister to A-Lister on his original run, Miller returned years later to tear the character down completely and rebuild around a new core - the realization that an Irish boy growing up in Hell's Kitchen would be Catholic and that there was a ton of imagery in that just lying around for the taking - that was smaller and more focused, the neighb ...more
Mark
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Once again Miller "reboots" a character. This time he takes away everything that Matt Murdock has considered a safe haven. This is about his deconstruction and rebirth as Daredevil the blind superhero.

Among the comics I own most certainly a little gem.
Mel
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Britton

An edited review of this book will come sooner or later, this last one was pretty bad.
Kathleen
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
How do you destroy a life? Piece by piece from the shadows. In a world where wealth, power, and influence happen high above and far away, the Kingpin can torture Matt Murdock as easily as he can pull the wings off a fly. It makes for an interesting story, because Matt Murdock is quickly destroyed, but Daredevil is a survivor.

Classics are classic for a reason, and this is no exception. The slow build of the story and the utter destruction of Murdock is very well told. Kingpin is as fascinating a
caleb.
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I don't really go here but I love Daredevil — and this was cheap at my bookstore.

Considered one of Daredevil's best stories, this is always kind of been on my radar to read. It was beautiful, I loved the sharp writing that cuts up against the sharp images. There were some really fantastic lines in there that will probably follow me around for the next few days. That said, the ending fell flat for me. It didn't tie everything up in a way that felt satisfactory, the ending behaved like it really
Amey Karpe
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the all-time greatest comic book arcs in my opinion. A gritty story of a man overcoming insurmountable odds and knowing that there is always somebody in your corner cheering for you.
Some aspects of it really haven't aged well and I truly hope they haven't adapted the part of Karen going off the deep end in the third season of the Netflix show.
Other than that, I enjoyed every moment of Matt overcoming the immense pressure and betrayal that he feels and the sheer hatred and willful destruc
Alok
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
When pushed to the very edge and even beyond, do you still hold on to your ideal? Do you still show up to do good when essentially entire world turns against you overnight?

One of the best comic-book stories ever. Inspiring. Frank Miller is a masterful story teller and you feel the anguish of Daredevil and also get to see his story and his tribulations through multiple characters' POVs, I especially liked Kingpin. (view spoiler)
morefiction
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an incredibly moving story. Seeing Matt / Daredevil at such a low place at the beginning of the comic & then following him as he escapes that void is really touching & builds up to an amazing end. My only tiny complaint is that the pacing was a little messed up throughout this arc but that's it. ...more
Kunal
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"A man without hope is a man without fear."
Peter Lehu
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
This is not your average Marvel comic. The darkly inked depictions of NYC in the eighties are great as well as the tasteful Roman Catholic iconography. It's full of despair and gritty faces and downtrodden characters. It's an era we are heading back into with the new kingpins in the oval office. Nuke is a great character who refreshingly amerikkkan as the anti-Captain America although the story almost seems to crowded when he enters. Also, the story wraps up too quickly.
Tony Laplume
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The truly remarkable thing about Frank Miller's Daredevil is that as influential as it was, fans still underestimate its legacy. For instance, without it, you wouldn't have had Jeph Loeb, whose original comic book effort in the pages of a Challengers of the Unknown mini-series is directly inspired by Miller's style as featured in Born Again. And it's some of Loeb's best work, long before his Long Halloween, a Batman story that followed the tradition of Miller's own Year One.

Now, Miller's Darede
Katarina (poleksya)
This was my first encounter with Daredevil, but not the first when it comes to Frank Miller. And let me tell you, he still hasn't dissapointed me. I love his writing and narration.

I don't know if I should have read something before this, but this one was available to me, so I grabbed it. I knew of Daredevil before, from that disaster of a movie, but only after Netflix's show I got interested in Daredevil more.

This story arc follows Matt Murdock as his life falls apart because of Kingpin who lear
Diogenes
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm just winging it here on history and nostalgia, but for those who might be binging on Netflix's Daredevil this weekend (like me), I'm pretty sure this is the go-to plotline the script writers are basing it on. I had to root through boxes to find my old comics, but sure enough this Frank Miller-written story holds up despite the obvious time-stamp of 1986, the old-school pen & ink art, and an antiquated moral editing for mass consumption back then.

For me, I was 13 years old when this storylin
Madison Mega-Mara...: #34 Daredevil: Born Again by Frank Miller 1 1 Mar 18, 2016 08:00PM

• X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3: Torn
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
  • Wolverine: Weapon X
  • Marvels
  • Daredevil, Vol. 1: Guardian Devil
  • Wolverine
  • The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • She-Hulk, Volume 1: Single Green Female
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 2: Unthinkable
  • Civil War: A Marvel Comics Event
  • The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk, Part 1
  • Wolverine: Old Man Logan
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the

Daredevil (1964) (1 - 10 of 281 books)
  • Daredevil (1964-1998) #1