Start by marking “Sparrow” as Want to Read:
Sparrow

Sparrow

Sparrow has always had a difficult time making friends. She would always rather have stayed home on the weekends with her mother, an affluent IT Executive at a Brooklyn bank, reading, or watching the birds, than playing with other kids. And that's made school a lonely experience for her. It's made LIFE a lonely experience.

But when the one teacher who really understood her
Published October 10th 2017 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Sparrow, please sign up.

jv poore
I never imagined that anyone could capture, then convey the desperate isolation of an outsider-always-looking-in. Ms. Moon makes it so real that one evening while reading, my eyes were all leaky and my nose wouldn’t stop sniffling. My husband asked if it was the pollen or a really sad book. It was not the pollen.

Which is not to say that Sparrow is dreary or depressing. We just meet Sparrow at a tough time.

Accepting that she will never fit in with other students, staying under the radar of teache
Michelle
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amazing. Gorgeous. Painful. Wonderful debut. Only reason it wasn’t 5 stars was because the music camp was a little deus ex machina for me- a little too convenient. But otherwise absolutely stellar. The narration and the characters were incredibly good. Including one of the best fictional therapists ever. I fell in love with Sparrow immediately and felt a strong connection to her 15 year old angst. Hope Moon writes more-I’ll be first in line. Turns out she’s the author Amy Bloom’s daughter. Thank ...more
Danielle
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
"That's when I saw them, a handful of kids scattered around the library on rugs, lying in pairs or off in a corner by themselves on a mat, piles of books beside them. It was the first time I ever wanted to join anything."

"I keep waiting to feel ready to get up, and then it hits me—I'm not going to be ready. I'm going to have to do this without being ready."
Tom (T.J. Reads the Stars)
I had a really hard time with this one. If the initial premise itself weren’t cliché enough, the execution fell into the trap of romanticising mental illness to the point where it didn’t properly address Sparrow’s depression and anxiety at all. The writing too felt really one-dimensional and fake-deep and in the end, everything fell flat for me. So yeah... not my favourite read by any stretch of the imagination. Such a shame.

“This is where I want to be. Not up, not down, but right here where my
Alexandra
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read in an afternoon and I absolutely loved it. Sparrow deals with tough topics regarding mental health, but it is perfectly balanced with the main character's wit and candor. A must-have for upper middle school and high school book shelves.
Suzi Evelyn
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
MY Summary of the book:
SPARROW was found on the ledge of the roof of her school. She says she wasn't going to kill herself, but then what was she going to do? She won't say. After being released from the hospital and as she is forced to go to school again, she tries to repeat what she tried to do on the roof; she's been doing it for years. But it isn't suicide. No, it's a way to escape middle school and the terribleness that comes with being excruciatingly shy and a total bookworm.

Sparrow is suc
Amber
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network for the free review copy of his book – all opinions are my own.

I have a soft spot for Sparrow. My heart broke for her while reading this book. I think it’s going to resonate with a lot of readers. She finds herself stuck in a space where she doesn’t feel that she’s understood, so she shuts down. Her actions are repeatedly confused as meaning something other than what she intends, and she seems to be caught in a cycle. She can’t seem to express her feelings i
Jamie
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, ya-fiction
Beautiful cover for a beautiful story.

Warning - it starts out slow and you're not sure you're going to get out of Sparrow's funk. But ultimately, this is a beautiful story of a young girl's navigation from fear and walling up to life.
Kathy Mathey
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book ~ introspective, courageous, and timely.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
2.5 STARS

Sparrow ends up in therapy with Dr Katz after standing on the ledge of the roof of her school following the death of her librarian and friend Mrs. Wexler. Friendless, anxious and painfully shy, Sparrow is endanger of failing eighth-grade if she doesn’t begin to engage in life. Dr Katz slowly reaches Sparrow through music.

SPARROW is one of those mental health books with positive attributes like beautiful writing and positive representation of therapy that’s unfortunately outweighed by ro
Evelyn
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
it was a really inspiring story about finding your voice and being yourself. i really liked this book and i would recommend it if you don't mind crying when your reading.... ;)
Sharon
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid 3.5! Who names their kid Sparrow? In a way it’s fitting because when she was born, she was tiny and brown. But if destiny is in a name, then this child was born to fly, no, make that soar.

And so, Sparrow’s story is both sad and uplifting all at once.

She’s singular in that she likes to be alone, kind of like birds. Those moments when she imagines flying are pure and beautiful.

But life is on the ground, and getting Sparrow to see that is a feat in itself.

This book had so many contrasts for
Samantha Lizzio
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a beautiful debut. I felt Sparrows pain throughout the pages and I could definitely tell the author cares so much for her main character and may have had similar experiences as Sparrow. I enjoyed reading through Sparrow's therapy sessions; I felt Sarah captured what it's like to begin going to weekly talk therapy sessions especially when you've just started to feel like your mind needs a little help.

As someone with a mental illness, I am pleased more authors are having the courage t
Read InAGarden
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sparrow is the quiet, shy kid we all know. Instead of being present for the cutting remarks of classmates, she imagines that she flies away with birds. After being labeled as a suicide risk, Sparrow must learn how to navigate her social anxiety without escaping reality. An introspective and well written book.
Sally
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story that I could relate to more than I thought! A young girl who has always hid within herself, never making friends. A great story for anyone, but especially a shy person who is trying to find their place in this mess of a world.
Ashley Fitzpatrick
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
A delightful YA novel with an interesting... well I can’t call it a twist... But an interesting spin. It’s an incredibly thoughtful look at mental health among young people, especially young black teenagers who do not often find themselves at the centre of these stories.
Eva
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really well done. Hit hard on some hard hitting issues and really struck home in a lot of places. Very realistic recovery and I loved loved loved Sparrow's descriptions of people, especially Doctor Katz.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I might actually put this on hold soon because I am so not in the mood for dark contemporary, but if you're in the mood for dark contemporary that's vaguely middle grade / YA, please pick this up. I'm 60 pages in and it's quite well-done.
Lydia
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
It me.

Ok, not totally, but every time Sparrow explains why she can't talk, or tell her mom or therapist something, it resonated with me. What a great book. What a brave book.
D.
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I don't want to say too much about it, because I think this is the sort of book that is best experienced without many expectations or information about it.

So, in vague terms, this is the story of a girl sent to see a therapist after a perceived suicide attempt. It follows her journey of self-discovery and fills in the backstory of what led up to her attempt (which she denies as actually being an attempt.)

But it's also about much more than that. It's about the power of literat
Vivek Tejuja
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
As an introvert, Sparrow’s life has not been easy. She has been prone to reading and being by herself, which isn’t a bad thing at all. She prefers watching birds, and spending time with her high-flying mother, who is an IT executive at a Brooklyn bank. She has no friends and her world is limited to books and her teacher, Mrs. Wexler, the school librarian. She is the perfect friend Sparrow has – she doesn’t speak much and knows exactly what book Sparrow will like next. Till tragedy takes place an ...more
Maria
I can not put into words how much this book spoke to me, how much I felt *seen*, and how heartbreaking and uplifting it was.
Becky
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, music, review-group
A good bridge between middle grade and YA. Sparrow's journey is guided throughout by therapy, and it's portrayed in a very positive light. The book is divided into 3 parts, and the third part, where she goes to a sleepaway rock camp, threw my reading groove for a while because it was a bit unexpected. I really enjoyed how the book references books and songs straight forwardly. I hate when books pussyfoot around naming something by referencing lyrics or hinting around at plot lines or whatever. T ...more
Maddy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because of its beautiful cover. I didn't put it down because of its intriguing characters, unique voice, and natural flow. Sparrow is a "blerd"--a black girl nerd--with a LOT of social anxiety. This anxiety cripples her from building relationships and allows her to escape by "flying" away with the birds in her mind. Over the course of the story, her therapist, her librarian, her mom, and some potential friends help her heal and learn to be vulnerable. It is beautiful, relat ...more
Megan Breon
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book took a little while for me to really get into it but once your in, your in.This book is a great one that really helps to show what teenagers really go through. Its a great book about a girl named Sparrow trying to find herself, and things that make her happy
Leyna
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. review to come
Andre
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sandy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an emotional read for me. I wasn’t expecting his novel to pull me and move me like it did.

The story begins with fourteen-year-old Sparrow in a psych hospital ward. Sparrow claims that it wasn’t suicide that led her to the ledge on the school’s roof but she won’t tell anyone what she was doing there. It isn’t until she is deep into her therapy sessions that she starts to open up about what is really going on in her life.

Sparrow has only been going to this school for a few years and lite
Nicole
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really hard book for me to rate. I found myself wanting to give it a 4 star but I think that's just because of how beautiful and warm the ending made me feel.

The first thing that struck me about this book was how young it read. Sparrow, our main character is 14 years old, yet, the writing and even the activities she was doing in class felt very immature and not what I was doing in school at 14.

The book starts off with Sparrow, being admitted to hospital because it looks like she was tr
Estee
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes I wake up around four thirty, when the sun is just starting to come up and my neighborhood is this weird pink that doesn’t seem to fit the city streets and building-block houses or the traffic, and I look out the window and want with everything I’ve got to be up in the air just one more time. I’m not trying to fly away from anything, I’m really not, but when you spend your whole life wrapped in blue, wind at your back, sun-soaked and soaring, it’s hard to settle for just walking aroun ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
NZ Intermediate S...: Sparrow 1 8 Jul 20, 2019 11:15PM
Montana Schorg 1 1 Apr 12, 2018 09:45AM

• Chess Rumble
  • The Closest I've Come
  • Between the Lines
  • Tuesday Takes Me There: The Healing Journey of a Veteran and his Service Dog
  • The Blood Scion (The Scion Legacy #1)
  • I Am Alfonso Jones
  • Toy Boat
  • The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora
  • Stone Mirrors: The Sculpture and Silence of Edmonia Lewis
  • Tales From Earthsea & The Other Wind (Earthsea Cycle, #5-6)
  • Goldie Vance #1 (Goldie Vance, #1)
  • Just My Luck
  • Keeper of the Night
  • Children of Exile (Children of Exile, #1)
  • Flat Broke: The Theory, Practice and Destructive Properties of Greed (Liar, Liar, #2)
  • Sweet, Hereafter (Heaven, #3)
  • Karma Khullar's Mustache
  • Where You'll Find Me
Sarah Moon is a teacher, writer, and translator. She lives and works in Brooklyn, New York.
“I don’t want to leave. I don’t want to miss this. I don’t want to spend the last day hiding from the people who make my heart hurt with how much they give me.” 1 likes