Start by marking “The Beauty” as Want to Read:

The Beauty

Somewhere away from the cities and towns, a group of men and boys gather around the fire each night to listen to their stories in the Valley of the Rocks. For when the women are all gone the rest of your life is all there is for everyone. The men are waiting to pass into the night.

The story shall be told to preserve the past. History has gone back to its aural
Published January 16th 2018 by Titan Books (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Beauty, please sign up.
Aliya Whiteley Hi Bikram, The 2014 release by Unsung Stories was UK only. The January 2018 release is through Titan Books and is US only. The upcoming release also…moreHi Bikram, The 2014 release by Unsung Stories was UK only. The January 2018 release is through Titan Books and is US only. The upcoming release also features a new novelette along a similar theme. (less)

Start your review of The Beauty
Ian Hocking
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mixture of 'disturbing' and 'brilliant' -- that's right, it's brillurbing.
fromcouchtomoon
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous metaphorical delight! What happens when impossible beauty ideals become a fungus that infects women and brainwashes men? More than a commentary on gender roles, this disturbing little tale places blame squarely on the society that sets, perpetuates, and prioritizes physical female beauty over human love and shared responsibility. Fantastic truncated paragraph style, too. Nice and rhythmic.
Bob
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The Beauty is a weirdly beautiful novella from Aliya Whiteley that feels disconcertingly unfinished. It is altogether fascinating, with a sinister progression of themes and ideas, but it ends too soon, and Nate's narration keeps much of the story at arms' length.

In an undefined future, the world has been overcome by a fungal infection that has taken the lives of every single woman, young and old. The men who survive them know that they are to be the last generation, and exist in a sa
Krystal
Um.

I don't even know how to rate this.

This is just one fkn WEIRD book okay.

Also it's two stories so that was completely unexpected.

The Beauty

The actual, titular story, which I thought was the entire novel. Super weird. Basically there's no women left because they all died from some nasty womb disease so there's just this little band of lonely men. I thought this was going to be a thought-provoking, feminist-type horror story about how hopeless men are without women but inste/>The/>This/>I
Maria
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quiet and intense at the same time, this is the story of a small, isolated post-apocalyotic society, in a world where all women are gone, and eventually replaced by... something.

It definetly challenges gender norms. There is a sort of flip - the roles have been inverted, but not in an angry "let's see how you like it!" kind of way, atleast that's not all, there's more depth too it than that. It's rather something that changes your identity, and not everyone manages to adapt to the new order. ...more
S.E. Lindberg
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing

What is beautiful? Repulsive? Are you attracted to it? Are you beautiful, or unloved? These question resonate as one reads "The Beauty."
Aliya Whiteley's THE BEAUTY offers a compact dose of weird fiction, body horror specifically, in which humanity is evolving into mushrooms. Expect a mashup of  William Golding's 1954 Lord of the Flies and P. D. James' 1992 novel The Children of Men: a cluster of men survive in a dystopian future where all the wonovel TheGolding's 1954 Lord
Mindi
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really don't want to give away too much of this story. It's unique and somewhat disturbing. I realized that I'm so used to typical gender roles that a number of things that happen in this book made me really uncomfortable. And that's incredibly disappointing to me. Gender, now more than ever, is becoming less of an issue in society, but when you take the typical male and female roles and completely switch them, it's amazing how quickly I became uncomfortable. That tells me that perhaps society ...more
Rafaela
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: This book was provided by the publisher, through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

(link to review on my blog soon)

Why did I read this book? Because the blurb promised me a world without women. Not "a world without women except for one who for some reason didn't die", but "a world without women, full stop". And let me tell you, to feminist me, this sounded incredibly intriguing.

So I gave it a shot.

This book, let me tell you, is a powerhouse. The s/>Why
Dannii Elle
This is the most bizarre thing I have read in my entire life!
Leah Bayer
I was very much looking forward to this book but it let me down hard--I really liked Whiteley's The Arrival of Missives and was hoping for more like that. The idea here is so cool: all the women in the world contract a strange fungus-based illness and die. After their death, mushrooms start growing on their graves and eventually turn into weird sentient mushroom-women. I HATE mushrooms really passionately (are you a plant? an animal?! make up your damn mind!) so this was particularly horrifying for me. ...more
Tade Thompson
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elegantly written, disturbing from start to finish and perhaps a little prescient with respect to gender politics. Difficult to review without giving anything away, but it's deeply affecting.

If you're a fan of weird fiction, and even if you're not, this is for you. After reading this I decided I would read anything from this author.
Eleni (OverThePlace)
Like tripping on mushrooms (or having sex with them).
Literally, that's the whole plot. It's brilliant, wise and messed-up.

***Update: I just discovered the iconic artist Georgia O'Keeffe and I think that her paintings, especially the ones with the huge flowers, should be on the cover of this book. Her paintings represent exactly the theme and the feeling of the book.
Seregil of Rhiminee
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Aliya Whiteley's The Beauty is the first book that I've reviewed twice, because I feel that it deserves a second review due to the fact that this new edition (published by Titan Books) contains an additional story that is excellent and worth reading.

I consider Aliya Whiteley's The Beauty to be one of the utmost best and most original weird fiction books ever published, because it's a masterpiece of modern weird fiction and imaginative storytelling. In
Grace Troxel
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures: http://bookswithoutanypictures.com/20...

3.5 stars.

One of the great things about being a book blogger is that you are introduced to books that you otherwise would never have heard of or considered reading. I received a review request from a small speculative fiction publisher based out of the UK called Unsung Stories for a novella called The Beauty, which is quite possibly one of the most bizarre books I’ve ever read.

The Beauty is a
Robert
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
You can find my full review of The Beauty on my speculative fiction book blog.

In summary: The Beauty is a rich and atmospheric tale which handles the uncanny and horror with huge confidence. I'm not sure it could ever be made into a movie, but if so, Guillermo del Toro (who made Pan's Labyrinth) would have to direct. It is a stunning achievement.
Eliza Graham
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is a woman? Are gender roles fixed or fluid? These are big philosophical questions and Nate, the young storyteller and main protagonist of The Beauty, tries to weave tales that make sense of life. Until something weird starts happening near the graves of the dead women who are now all that is left of the female sex. The Beauty has some shocking and disturbing moments, but are there for a reason and the prose is elegant.
Shawn Birss
I cannot express with enough enthusiasm how much I enjoyed the title story of this book. This novel is one of the strangest, most horrifying, most provocative, most distressingly violent, most creative, most transgressive, and most thoughtful and feminine stories I have read in the last three years. In about 100 pages, I was transfixed and transformed by this word magic, like some kind of meme disease that infected my eyeballs through the page.

If you love science fiction . . .
(. . . espec
John Beta
The stranger the better. Women died off to some sort of vaginal fungus, men and boys satisfying each other, mushroom women growing from graves, men having sex with mushroom women, men turning into women and having babies, mushroom women taking on the male role, resistance, acceptance, disgusting and comforting. Some weird stuff which I like, however, it was at times a bit hard to follow. Gonna make me a mushroom omelet tomorrow!
Rachel
Creepy and fabulous. Life finds a way.
Matt
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the f*%^ did I just read? This is some ridiculous metaphorical s***. The accompanying novella/short is almost as bizarre, in a sense? I don't know where to start or begin with reviewing this, so I'm going to leave it at that I think. I thoroughly enjoyed the accompanying novella/short though.
Tammy
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
The nitty-gritty: A short but powerful story that will make you think about what "gender" means, but seriously, one of the strangest things I’ve ever read.

The Beauty were small at first but they grew, and they took all the best qualities of the dead. They sucked up through the soil all the softness, serenity, hope and happiness of womankind.

I’m not the sort of reader who shies away from anything odd or bizarre, and many of the books I've read and enjoyed can be described in just that way. I was anxious/>The
Figgy
Dec 01, 2018 added it
Shelves: need-it-now
Review to come.
C.J. Lines
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the same smart way that (for example) the TV series Deadwood used the tropes of a Western to explore the brutal socio-economic development of a community, The Beauty uses body horror to look at a developing society from an existential standpoint. It focuses particularly (although not exclusively) on issues of gender and asks allegorical questions that are uncomfortable and unflinching. But never mind all that. Even if you're not of a philosophical bent, this is a grotesque, entertaining fable ...more
Angela
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sff
SUPER weird. Not Bizarro weird (a genre that has truly pushed my limits on strangeness and unpleasant descriptions) but it's up there. We start with the old trope of a post-apoc that killed off one gender --women in this case-- and combine it with insular community creepiness. Fungus begins growing on the graves of dead women and bloom into fungal approximations of women. Sounds disturbing right? That's not even half of it. Would really only rec this with a caveat of having a strong stomach for ...more
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
I'm not sure what I just read but I loved it.
Emily
Jun 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Errr .... what the hell?! There wasn't really anything I liked about this book, but I was very grateful that it was only 99 pages long. Oh dear.
Kim Raccoon
Feb 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have to be missing something. A metaphor, allegory, symbolism, something. I just can't understand why mushroom-human sexual relations is so compelling for people.
Racheal
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My whole review should just be:

*dry heaving noise*

But beyond that, just whoa. This was gross and disturbing but also really, really well done.

There are shades of Annihilation in the body horror of humans made to be things inimical to humanity.

It also brought to mind Dawn by Octavia Butler in the implications surrounding consent (can it really be given when there's a power imbalance? Are we more than the soup of our hormones?), generational change
Deborah
I notice I've been reading a lot of "what if women" books lately. What if women developed a power in their bodies? What if women ruled over a matriarchal society? What if women slowly started to become invisible to everyone around them?

This year I vowed to read only female authors and so far, there's been a trend - stories as tools or canvases to show how we can change society for the better, how far we can further fall, and how things wouldn't be better if roles were swapped.
Anat
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Well, wow. I can't believe I've managed to come across a story that reminds me Octavia E. Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy so soon, but there it is.
Creepy, disturbing, yet beautifully (no pun intended...) written novella about a world where the women have died and a fungus which grew out of their corpses took sentient(?) form and looked to mate with the men... told from pov of a young man who's the storyteller of the small remaining human group and has an affinity towards the humanoid mushrooms, dubbed "The Beauty".
I am still
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sword & Sorcery: ...: Beauty in Weird Fiction - Whiteley Interview 1 11 Aug 09, 2018 03:26PM
Bibbidi Bobbidi Book: Distopia: una moda che torna 5 4 Apr 09, 2018 11:39PM

• The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11
  • We Sold Our Souls
  • Motherless Child
  • Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water
“There are two types of understanding in this world. There's the kind that comes from the reading and the hearing, and it doesn't penetrate the skin. It is surface knowledge, like a soft blanket that can be placed over the shoulders. And then there's the understanding that comes from doing. That kind of understanding is not soft. It is water that soaks into the rocks and earth, and makes the seeds grow. It is messy, and painful, and impossible to hold.” 7 likes
“There is so much to say about a past. It's a vein of gold through a mountain, leading to an incontrovertible stone heart of truth. But the future is a horizon - a faintly visible line that will promise much, and always remain to far away to touch.” 6 likes