Start by marking “The Rainbow Clause” as Want to Read:
The Rainbow Clause

The Rainbow Clause

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Don't like the athletes. Don't sleep with the athletes. Don't fall for the athletes. It had never been particularly difficult to keep the rules but Nick had a feeling he was about to be tested.

Heisman winner. Member of the National Championship team. NFL Rookie of the Year. Quarterback Colin O’Connor knows he’s become the ultimate romance novel cliché: all the success he’
Published April 3rd 2017 by Beth Bolden

To ask other readers questions about The Rainbow Clause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rainbow Clause

Christelle
**2.5 stars**

Well, this one didn’t work for me. This is the story of Colin, a football player, who decides to go public about his bisexuality and Nick, a journalist, is going to spend 3 weeks with him to write an article for this occasion. No surprise here, they end up together.

There were events that seemed thrown and not expended. I saw this author wrote a previous MF book with the characters. Maybe it would have been better to have read it first ? Still, for me, it was too full of clichés and
Ami

Beth Bolden is a new-to-me author. I believe that this is also her first M/M book? I bought it on a whim when I saw the blog tour and read one of the blog tour reviews.

For a book with "practically" a virgin bisexual football quarterback who is planning to come out -- so he can date *lol* -- and a reporter who is tasked to write the coming out feature, this one is pretty sweet and angst free.

To be honest, Colin sometimes comes off as adorably innocent despite his fame and popularity as
Cadiva
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Extremely polished sports romance

I've a feeling I was supposed to read something before this one but I rarely read M/F these days so I haven't but I don't think it really had a negative effect on my enjoyment of this one.

There's nothing new here, it's a typical 'coming out' sports romance between a bisexual football quarterback and a reporter but it's done really well.

There's a lot of polish to this one, which I note is a re-release, so I'm guessing it was cleaned up then.

I loved both Colin and
Anita
This is going to sound rather ranty and I recognize that I am solidly in the minority on this book. Many loved it. It frustrated me beyond belief! Generally speaking I love football books and the whole somewhat closeted athlete. Better yet was the fact that one of the characters is bisexual and I'd hoped that this was treated respectfully. The clever title roped me in and I thought, oh goodie and sat back to enjoy it. After reading about 20% I realized that the characters, Colin, Nick, Jemma, Ga ...more
Michelle Dare
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I've read by Beth Bolden and it did not disappoint!

Colin is a star quarterback in the NFL. He's also bisexual, only no one knows. Well, his closest friends do. When he first signed with the team, he had a clause added - The Rainbow Clause. It's what he put in place should he decide to come out. Now that he's ready, it's time to put that clause into effect.

Enter Nick. He's the reporter whose been tasked with writing the story, which will announce to the world that Colin i
Calila
*A copy of this book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review.*

Okay, first - This book is technically part of a series. I had the feeling Jemma/Gabe had their own book and was proven right when I got to the end. I would've liked to have know that, or had less focus on Jemma/Gabe. (Summer Attractions)

Second - The title. While I get that more people are familiar with the rainbow symbolism, every time it was mentioned I cringed a little. Bisexuality has their own colors/
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

When Colin negotiated his NFL contract he had, what has come to be known as the Rainbow Clause included into it. Colin is bi, and wanted to be sure if a man was who he chose to settle down with he had a choice to come out. Colin leans more toward being attracted to men than women and decides he is tired of hiding. He goes to his argent who arranges a coming out interview with Nick, a sports writer.

Nick is out and proud, something you don't see much of in the sports world. He agrees to shadow Co
Amanda
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first by this author and I really enjoyed it!

Colin knew what he wanted. He wanted to find love and if that meant coming out in the world of football then that’s what he was going to do.

Nick was going to be the journalist to write Colin’s coming out article. Nick has been waiting for an opportunity like this and to have it be a man he felt an instant attraction to a year ago, well even better.

Nick and Colin has chemistry and even though Nick tried to fight it, they just worked. They balance
T.A. McKay
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

Who wouldn't want to read this book....I mean look at the cover!! That completely caught my attention but like with any hot man it was what was inside that kept me around. It may be pretty to look at but it was so much better to read. I will admit I have a slight passion about football books and this one is way up there in my favourites.
It was well written and the story well thought out. I felt the connection between the characters and I was rooting for them the entire time. Even the
Steph ☀️
***3.5 stars (rounded-up)***

For this being Beth Bolden’s debut MM book, it’s not too shabby. I have to say the blurb intrigued me, and what I got was better than what I expected. I was happy to read (at least I haven’t come across it yet) something new. Namely The Rainbow Clause. I cannot go further, because I would be spoiling it for others, but it was truly nice and refreshing.

While I did enjoy seeing the relationship develop between Colin and Nick, I have to say I did have a hard time followi
Libbi
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Romance, drama, humor, this book has it all and more. It was so good I could hardly put it down, and finished it far too soon - I just didn't want the story to end! Another win from Beth Bolden!
The Novel Approach Reviews
~ 3.5 Stars ~

Apparently The Rainbow Clause is part of a series, but I didn’t feel like I really missed anything in reading this as a stand-alone.

Colin is the hot football star of the moment, but he’s got a big secret, one he’s tired of keeping to himself. He’s distant with his teammates, and his best friend is the girl he loved and lost. He is so done with not being able to be who he wants to be, but he knows the potential consequences if he does pursue the person he wants.

When he finally decid
Carra
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imagine there's this star NFL quarterback that you've been following since his college days, that you've had a crush on. Now imagine you've been chosen to write the most important profile on him, bringing to light his most highly guarded secret...and to do so you get to shadow him by living with him to learn the ins and outs of his life. Sounds like a dream come true, right?

Colin likes to keep to himself-he'd rather enjoy a quiet evening at home away from the spotlight than be out clubbing with
Mary Mary
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
* a copy of this book was provided for free in exchange for an honest review *

I strongly recommend this book to everyone.
It was the first book by this author and I am in love. I love her writing style, the way she created the world, made everything feel real. Additionally I am head over heels with both main characters.

Romance books with athletes are my favorite but most of them are too predictable, too sweet and sometimes just ridiculous. Here we have an AMAZING love story, lots of humor, scorch
Stacey Jo
I was given a free copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the first book I’ve read by Beth Bolden and I enjoyed it. It’s the story of Nick, an NFL football star and Colin, his reporter boyfriend. Nick lives a quiet life for a NFL star. He lives on a private island, does his own shopping, and keeps to himself. The problem is that he wants to date, which means he’s going to have to come out. He had a rainbow clause written into his contract to handle the publicit
Cynthia
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love sports, and I love the issue of LGBTQ+ visibility in sports, so this book was very much up my alley.

Beth Bolden tells an ambitious story about Colin O'Connor's coming out. "Ambitious" because a coming out of this caliber of athlete has never happened before. Colin is not your second string punter or NCAA defensive lineman. He is the star quarterback of an NFL team. (Someday. Someday soon I hope.) Colin is bisexual, and he wants to live his live honestly and openly, so he decides that it i
Alison
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was almost a four star read for me, but it fell just shy.

There were a lot of positives here. Sexy, hot, cute, innocent (almost naïve), talented quarterback. Smart-mouthed, hot, sexy, inquisitive reporter. Sparks, etc. I liked them together, and overall, the book held my interest for the entirety.

This was definitely a case of external stressors. Coming out and doing so in a manner that would benefit ev
Joyfully Jay
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

This book offers many things I like to read, starting with athletes. While Colin is indeed a quarterback, the majority of the book takes place during the off season and there is no actual football. There were two good characters here, but this book just didn’t quite resonate with me the way it should have. For a coming out story and for Colin basically having his first relationship, this book lacked emotion as well as depth for me.

Colin has made it to the NFL, but
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
3.5 Stars

I’m a huge sports fan so I love reading about athletes! This is my first book by Ms. Bolden and while I liked it alot, the author’s writing style took some getting used to. Part of that, as it turns out, is because Jemma and Gabe were introduced in their own story. That may explain why some of the assumptions were made about the characters and were confusing if you hadn’t read their story. There is a pretty big thing that happens with Nick that is kind of glossed over in this story so I
Allwaswell
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Rainbow Clause begins with such an interesting premise that really helped make this book feel fresh and different. I found it hard to put down and read it quite quickly!

Colin O’Connor is a star quarterback in the NFL with a secret; he’s bisexual. He has worked an interesting clause into his contract (hence the title of the book) that will clear the path for the day he decides he wants to come out. Well, that day has come. I liked that he wasn’t the typical football star character and had a l
John-Torleif  Harris
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nick and Colin were very cute

I liked how sincerely naive Colin was about the impact of his rainbow clause. He had spent so long being closed off and private from the press that he didn't realize how much of an impact his coming out would cause.

Nick was the perfect match for Colin, both in personality and in the cynicism he had for the world. Colin was exactly what Nick needed to help him open himself up to realizing that being strong didn't mean not ever seeking help.

I would have liked for Nick'
Deanna Against Censorship
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun

I love sports M\M stories because of that extra level of emotions. The characters touched my heart ❤ yet made me smile.
Annika
So it looks like I’m going against the grain on this one, it seems like everyone liked this book except for me. There was just something about this book that I didn’t like. It never drew me in. I never connected to the story, the characters and didn’t really care one way or another what would happen and where they’d end up in the end. It wasn’t a horrible read, I was just bored and uninterested.

I was going to give this book 3 stars, but then I realised I’ve rated many books with 3 starts that I’
Shee Reader
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Rainbow Clause by Beth Bolden

Review by Shee Reader for Boy Meets Boy Reviews.

Rating 4.5 Hearts

Find us on the web at www.boymeetsboyboyreviews.com

Before I start, this was a hugely enjoyable book I would recommend with very few reservations. There was just a couple of annoying things, but this was an ARC, so I assume they’ll be fixed by publication? There were a couple of annoying typo niggles, and one huge one that set my teeth on edge. At one point, our lovely men were in Florida, sitting on
Bri
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I've read by this author and I couldn't put it down! She jumps right into the action of the plot, but still finds the time to create vivid, likeable characters. At times, I had to remind myself this was fiction! Definitely recommend.
Roger - president of NBR United -
I got this book for free in exchange for an honest review. I get this through the DBML program of the M/M Romance Group at Goodreads.

First of what I really enjoyed is that Colin was a real regular guy and not some egotistical asshat that an athlete of his caliber could very easily be. Nick Wheeler is the Lead Sports reporter for a blog that covers Sports and other Celebrities. I Loved how they worked together even when they had different points of view. I also loved that both of them were willin
Sadonna
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it

This review and much more can be found at The Novel Approach

Susan65
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Blogger Girls

This story was really cute and sweet…and I don’t usually like a lot of fluff but this was…well, sweet. It didn’t hurt that it was sports themed because I do love my professional alpha athletes being all manly with another man. There was just something about Nick and Colin that resonated with me. Yes, it was full of fluff and low on angst, and it was a little goofy and unrealistic in how the “rainbow” clause was played out. But, it was fun. It had many “awe” moments that for som
Qin
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not a MM story, despite the blurb's claims to the contrary, but a boring mix of sports chronicle for dummies and MF frienship until the 50% bar when the writer abruptly decided she had had enough of the star footballer's former love interest turned best gal friend Jemma and began to push said lady into the background so that the gay side of Colin could be asserted. Too little too late; by this point, I was fed up with the mounting evidence for Mrs Bolden's shameful lack of general culture, the e ...more
Amanda Viecelli
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. I am a big fan of football romances, so I was excited about this one. Colin and Nick are so hot together, and end up being exactly what the other needs.. but their relationship is not instant, and it's not without obstacles. Colin is nothing like he seems, though Nick doesn't realize that at first. In fact, I loved Colin almost instantly, while it took me a little bit to warm up to Nick because he was a bit of a cranky-pants... almost too righteous in his.. er.. righ ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Beth Bolden lives in Portland, Oregon with her supportive husband. She wholly believes in Keeping Portland Weird, but wishes she didn't have to make the yearly pilgrimage up to Seattle to watch her Boston Red Sox play baseball. She's a fan of fandoms, and spends too much of her free time on tumblr.

Beth has been writing practically since she learned the alphabet. Unfortunately, her first foray into
More about Beth Bolden

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be