Start by marking “Deja New (Insighter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deja New (Insighter, #2)

Deja New

(Insighter #2)

The New York Times bestselling author of the Undead Novels takes on reincarnation in this unforgettable Insighter Novel about the pitfalls in past—and love—lives…

Leah Nazir lives in a world where the past can and will come back to bite you in the ass. No, not teething ghosts—reincarnation! As an Insighter, it’s Leah’s job to delve into the murky and (often) deadly former l
Published November 7th 2017 by Berkley

Start your review of Deja New (Insighter, #2)
Dianne
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Strap yourself in for a whirlwind of chaos, past and present as the Insighters plunge themselves into the often murky past lives of those around them. Hey, it’s a job, someone has to do it! Dark humor, dark secrets and an overwhelming sense of being caught in a kaleidoscope on a merry-go-round pretty much describes the constant motion this tale is in.

Can you imagine being able to see the past lives of others, as well as your own? Not sure who would need therapy more, those being “treated’ or tho
Beth
Caught in a world where you see everyone’s past lives, as well as your own, can be pretty confusing…to put it mildly. Leah is an Insighter, with the ability and it is her job to submerge herself in the past and sometimes it's darker than you think.

Leah is heading with her boyfriend Archer to Chicago to meet his parents. But when they arrive Leah and Archer embark on the mystery why his father killed his own brother years ago.

Holy Moly, talk about sensory overload. Deja New is a high velocity, ca
Tori
Originally posted at SmexyBooks-http://smexybooks.com/2017/11/review-...

Grade: C+

Favorite Quote: “If I didn’t put on my pants for the mayor, I’m not doing it for Leah Nazir. Or our brother.”

Angela Drake’s father was murdered by his brother and sentenced to life in prison. Angela’s mother checked out of life and her cousins came to live with them. Angela is convinced her uncle did not murder her father and is dead set on getting him a new trial. When her cousin, Archer Drake comes home to introdu
Kirsten
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
In some ways this was better than book #1, in other ways not so much.

This book centered more on Archer's family, especially his cousin (and/or sister) Angela. I have to say by the end of this book (or maybe the middle) I felt they should have put a genealogy chart in the front of the book. Really.

I loved the pairing of depressed police detective Jason and bipolar Angela. I hope we see more of them.

But the ending.... I read it twice and I still don't understand. Oh, well....
Cyndi
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly love this series! Imagine knowing all the past lives of everyone you meet with just a touch? Leah has being doing this most of her life. She uses her ability to help clients understand how their past lives affect this life. She meets Archer and discovers that he has no past life. Love ensues.
For this novel Archer brings Leah to meet his family. Apparently Archer’s father is in prison serving a life sentence because he killed his brother. It’s been ten years since any of them have visit
Jacque
Time for book 2 in the Insighter series. I readily admitted I struggled with the first book because, while I loved the concept, I was less than thrilled that it was humorous. So now I am over that and ready to jump into Deja New and lose myself in Leah’s world.

…To be somewhat disappointed. Again.

Don’t get me wrong. I did enjoy the book. However, Leah felt to be more of a secondary character this time around. The focal point of this story is Archer’s family. In a nutshell, Archer’s dad killed his
All Things Urban Fantasy
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

**Spoilers for the first book of the Insighter series, DEJA WHO, are a bit unavoidable, so please don't read this review if you're planning on reading DEJA WHO!**

DEJA NEW follows DEJA WHO with the same amount of humor, sarcasm, and interesting storytelling. Between the characters' parenthetical inner monologues, flashbacks, and footnotes, DEJA NEW is a creatively told romance with a heavy dose of mystery.

My biggest issue with that the mystery was confu
Krissys
I appreciated the second installment to this series more than the first because I felt like there was more depth this time around verses what we got in the first book however that depth also caused quite a bit of confusion as well. The past verse present lay over dialogue was a tad complex for me as the reader as well as poor Leah.

I still enjoy the new concept as the whole reincarnation thing isn't often used in romance I would like to see more of it in the future.

Confusion aside I felt Davidson
Gaele
So, I’ve had this book in the pile since June – hoping to find the time to get the first in the series read before starting this. All good plans and all that, and the time never opened up- and fortunately there wasn’t a real need for me to read the first to understand this one. And believe me, there is plenty happening in this story, and it does start a bit strangely with plenty of historic information provided for people whose lives will impact the characters here. The start of this story feels ...more
Amy
Aug 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, did-not-finish
ARC/Romance: I give up. I got 114 pages into the book and I give up. I don’t care. I really tried. I saw a paperback of the first book at 2nd & Charles earlier in the year and I didn’t get it. Then I won this book and realized it was book 2. So I went back to the store to get the first one with the plan that I would read it before my ARC showed up in the mail. Of course, it was gone. I went to another used book store; no dice. I went to Barnes to use my gift card; nope. The book showed up and I ...more
☕️Kimberly
DNF. I didn't love book one, but I enjoyed aspects of it, particularly the concept of Insighters and reincarnation. It was my hope that book two would deliver. Sadly, even at 35%, I was not hooked, and when a book cannot hold my attention, I have learned it's time to set it aside. Sadly such was the case with Deja New. I still love the concept; this just wasn't for me.
Cardyn Brooks
With a narrative voice that falls between the absurdist observations of her Queen Betsey series and the casual revelations of mundane horrors and challenges of various serious mental health challenges offered in her DIDD titles, MaryJanice Davidson's Insighter series mixes genres with interesting impunity.
beverly  harrold
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i always thought i was the first woman in creation to have a sock crush. this is going to be her best series yet, love all of her work. this is happy and rompy and joyful but dark humor oh my.
Tanya Davis
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
During the first book, Deja Who, I had a difficult time adjusting to the writing style of MaryJanice Davidson. A lot of my problem revolved around the characters thought narration. Their thoughts were like they were interrupting themselves and I had a hard time with that. This is also something I noticed in Deja New, however, this time I was prepared for it. It still had me reading sentences over a second or third time, because I would lose track of the purpose of the sentence when their thought ...more
Caitlyn Lynch
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Deja New is the second novel in MaryJanice Davidson’s Insighters series, and if you haven’t read the first one, you might as well give this one a miss. While the main character of this one, Angela, is a new protagonist, the main character from the first novel, Leah Nazir, is in this plenty. Her backstory is revisited enough for us to get a general idea of what might have happened in the first book, but the problem is that the world-building the reader needs to understand what Insighters are and ...more
Suzanne
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Insighter series deals with unique individuals with the ability to see the past lives of other people as well as their own. Inevitably, these past lives seem to bleed into current ones requiring some therapeutic intervention to heal the ensuing crisis. Although this is the second book in a series, it is a stand alone. The author’s sense of humor is dry and understated, resulting in an intentional chaotic nature to the relationships and characters that is meant to be funny. Sometimes it misse ...more
Sabrina
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
When everyone is reincarnated and there are Insighters who can see your past lives, it can be hard to live this life without letting your pasts affect your present. Angela is convinced that her uncle did not murder her father, no matter how many times he insists that he did. With the help of a few of her many family members and the cute new detective that's been working the case (she is NOT going to swoon over his sock choices), Angela is determined to solve this and find out the truth.
I was so
Michele
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

See the full review at HarlequinJunkie.com

Leave it to MaryJanice Davidson to turn a book about reincarnation and dark family secrets into a laugh-out-loud, zany, yet somehow heartfelt good time. Plus, it was a twofer. Yep, two romances shared the spotlight here. Not too shabby, right?

So, a couple of things. I would suggest reading Deja Who first just to get a better understanding of what Insighters do and how everything went down between Leah and Archer getting together.
Lucy Dosch
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Great concept for a series. I wish that not all the past lives were famous people.
First, you need to read the author’s notes in the beginning of the book to give you a head’s up on some of the past lives being presented or you won’t have any idea whose past life is being discussed. Second, just to save you any confusion, even though the cover model matches book 1 and there is no indication on the book description, this story is mostly being told by Archer’s cousin, Angela, and her love interest,
Helen
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an ARC copy of this book via Netgalley for an honest review. This is book two in Maryjanice Davidson's new insighter series and definitely needs to be read in order or you will be completely lost! I had gotten this book first before realizing it was book two and after the first few chapters I was so lost I decided to stop and wait until I read the first book before continuing. I love this author,her Undead series is amazing and would definitely be what I recommend reading first if you ...more
Stephanie
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Insightful Series, DEJA NEW by Mary Janice Davidson

An unusual family gets together to find out who killed their father. Lots of surprises in this strange new world.

I voluntarily reviewed an advance readers copy of this book. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

I was interested in this book because I enjoyed the begging of the Queen Betsy series by the same author but felt the last few books really l
Rebecca Lyman
I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest and fair review. This book continues the story of Leah Nazir and Archer Drake, whose relationship began in the last book in the series, Deja Who. It’s hard to pin down exactly but it sounds like this book picks up a few months to a year after the last book left off. Leah and Archer are visiting Archer’s family, hoping that Leah’s Insighter ability will be what makes the difference in solving a years old mystery: why Archer’s fath ...more
Darla
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read MaryJanice Davidson books for three things: interesting plot, fun characters and the comedy. I am pleased to say she has never let me down. Deja New delivered on it all, big time. I will try really hard not to spoil it!
So I got my first MJ taste in an anthology long ago. I remember wondering why I hadn't found her sooner! Each new series just shows what a great talent she is. And because I am mercenery I am hoping for many more years of great books.
Leah and Archer together are everything
Tracy Richardson
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unpopular opinion coming. Mary Janice Davidson's writing style has become annoying as crap. I first read her in The Royal Treatment and the Queen Betsy books. It was kind of cute, refreshing and different. Now though, having expanding my reading choice and field her rambling, side points and footnotes are just freaking irritating. I basically read the first 3 or 4 chapters and then skipped to the last 2 - didn't miss anything important AT ALL. Don't get me started on the blatant fluffing of the ...more
Mags
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
First off, the description of the book is misleading. It’s not quite how it’s described. It was mostly focused on Angela while Archer and Leah don't really play much of a part in this book. I disliked the second book more than the first book. I struggled to finish it and I found myself consistently skimming through the book. The Drake family and all their different personalities was somewhat interesting, but they were just too silly for me. One didn’t realize Archer was his cousin and one though ...more
Barbi
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book full of interesting, quirky characters.
Angela is a woman who lives with her brothers, cousins, and her mother. She has been trying to solve the mystery of her father's death for years. Her uncle is in prison and is no help.
So, she brings in another cousin of hers, Archer and his fiancee, Leah. Leah, Angela, and several other members of Angela's family are able to see past lives in people.
Throw in Detective Jason Chambers and a little romance and that balances out the crowd.
It
Ron
In Deja New, MaryJanice Davidson returns to her Insighter universe with new characters. Leah Nazer and Archer Drake are visiting his family. And his family has lost of issues. The most issues stem from the incarceration of father/uncle Dennis for the murder of his brother Donald. Angela Drake thinks there is something off about the case. So does the new detective - Jason Chambers - who has Angela swooning over his art socks. And then there is the rest of the Drake clan with plenty of quirks that ...more
2OCC Reviews
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jessica
I didn’t know that this was part of a series and if I had read the first one I might have understood it better but even with that I did enjoy the book. I haven’t read anything quite like it but I plan to read more from this author.

The darkish elements of this book are what pushed me forward. The whole unsighted aspect kept me glued to my kindle until I finished. The author really did pack a lot of punch in this novel. 4 Stars #2OCCJD
Maria
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I was grateful to have won the book on goodreads. It was a little hard to follow the story in the beginning. I kept telling myself it will get better, but it really didn't capture my attention the way I thought it would. I gave it 3 stars because it had a good story just hard to follow. Perhaps someone else may have better luck than me.
Jen
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I received Deja New in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for my honest review.

Deja New had a good story to it, but it wasn't one of my favorite books. I found it hard to keep track of all of the different characters and their jokes were a little childish at times. Overall, the story was good and the hint of mystery was there, but I just couldn't really get into the whole storyline.

• Death in Dark Blue (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #2)
  • Once Upon a Spine (A Bibliophile Mystery, #11)
  • Thrown Away: The Complete Post Apocalyptic Series (Parts 1-7)
  • Antsy Does Time (Antsy Bonano, #2)
  • Roses and Rot
  • Foul Play
  • Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back
  • A Grave Peril (Bodies of Evidence, #3)
  • Shakespeare's Landlord (Lily Bard, #1)
  • Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2)
  • A Dark and Twisting Path (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #3)
  • Death Waits in the Dark (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery #4)
  • Pack of Lies (The Potentate of Atlanta #2)
  • Sucks To Be Me
  • The Keep of Ages (The Vault of Dreamers, #3)
  • The Rule of Mirrors (The Vault of Dreamers, #2)
  • The Vault of Dreamers (The Vault of Dreamers, #1)
  • Shirley F'N Lyle: VIVA the REVOLUTION
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author and motivational speaker who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series and is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author. She writes a bi-weekly column for USA Today and lives in St. Paul with her family. You can reach her on Facebook and follow her on Twitter.

www.maryja

Insighter (2 books)
  • Deja Who (Insighter, #1)

News & Interviews