Start by marking “Protected” as Want to Read:
Protected

Protected

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,699 ratings  ·  262 reviews
I have three months left to call Katie my older sister. Then the gap will close and I will pass her. I will get older. But Katie will always be fifteen, eleven months and twenty-one days old.

Hannah's world is in pieces and she doesn't need the school counsellor to tell her she has deep-seated psychological issues. With a seriously depressed mum, an injured dad and a dead s
Published October 3rd 2017 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published July 23rd 2014)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Keep a close eye on Claire Zorn, guys, this author is going places. The Protected is my first novel by Claire Zorn, and it blew me away. This story centers around fifteen year old Hannah, whose sister passed away a year ago and is still trying to pick herself and her family up from the wreckage.

Hannah’s life has never been easy. Before the accident, she was bullied, treated like nothing different to a toy, just prodded and mocked at. After the accident, the b
Available to 'read now' on Netgalley here - https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/boo...

(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

This was a contemporary story about a girl whose sister died in a car accident.

I felt really sorry for Hannah, firstly because of the bullying she had been through, secondly for losing her sister the way she had, and thirdly for the impact of the accident on her life.

The storyline in this book was about Hannah coming to t
Amanda

The Protected is Claire Zorn’s second novel. Like her debut, The Sky So Heavy , it is set in the Blue Mountains. The story revolves around fifteen year old Hannah McCann, who attends St Joseph’s. It’s been almost a year since her older sister Katie died, and since then her bullies have backed off, but she’s still lonely and dealing with guilt.

From the moment I started The Protected I was completely sucked into the bubble that is Hannah’s life. Her home life is quiet, with her mother spending mo
C.G. Drews
Do you have tissues? Invest. GET yourself some tissues. I'm not a crier! Ask anyway! Ask my family! I actually tend to giggle when I get emotional (especially during movies) because that's how I release tension. I was pretty annoying to sit with while watching Catching Fire, okay? But while I read The Protected, I genuinely nearly bawled. My eyes leaked.

It's a story about grief and bullying. Totally the most crushing combination ever. It reminded me a lot of The Year of the Rat (sans bullying)
Krista Regester
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short, sweet, and perceptive view on what it’s like to experience your sibling’s death. Hannah carries a lot on her shoulders and does a pretty damn good job of keeping it together considering. I appreciated the lack of filler in this book. It was straight to the point.
Rosanne Hawke
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Claire Zorn's 'The Protected' is why adults read YA. Get a copy and find out.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Why did it take me this long to pick up a Claire Zorn book? The Protected was so fantastic, I read it in one sitting.

The Protected covers really subject matter in a relatable manner that makes us not only emphasise with Hannah and the pain that she is going through, but really understand where she is coming from. Poor Hannah has always been bullied and picked on at school, simply for being her serious self and not caring abo
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, anxiety
THIS, my friends, is how you write a YA novel focusing on a serious topic.

Claire Zorn is definitely an author to watch. I read her debut, The Sky So Heavy, in less than 24 hours and immediately after finishing it, I picked up this book because I couldn't get enough of Zorn's realistic and raw characters.
The Protected is about Hannah and how her and her family are torn apart by the loss of Hannah's older sister. It also realistically portrays horrific bullying, family troubles, panic attacks and
Kat
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you so much to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review this lovely and insightful work by Claire Zorn. "The Protected" examines and seeks to work apart the effect the loss of a family member has on those who are left behind. We are introduced to Hannah and her parents nearly a year after her sister Kate was killed in an accident, where the family has been reduced to shattered crumbs. And the narrative style choice is interesting. It's very fragmented, which fits well ...more
Mel (Epic Reading)
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
My actual rating would be 3.5 stars if I could do half stars on Goodreads. I'm willing to round-up to 4 stars however as I think Protected is a good young adult/teen book about grief and loss of a family member. This is a very quick read that doesn't disappoint.

When I was a child the book I first read about grief and lost was Tiger Eyes from Judy Blume. Protected reminded me a lot of that book as it takes a difficult topic and breaks it down to just what our lead gal thinking and feeling. That'
K.
3.75 stars.

I've been meaning to read this book for a looooong time, especially since it won the CBCA Book of the Year for Older Readers last year. But between the boring cover, the fact that my students never seemed interested in it, and the super serious issues-y blurb, I just kept putting it off. Until now.

And honestly? I think there was a little bit too much going on in this book. I mean...
1. Hannah's sister died in a car accident nearly a year ago.
2. Hannah's father was driving and is about
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
PROTECTED is a glimpse into the grief process of Hannah, whose sister Katie died in the car accident Hannah survived. Her mom, who now never leaves the house, blames her dad, who was driving but can’t remember the crash. Truthfully, Katie participated in the relentless bullying Hannah endured, torment that stopped after her death. A new student befriends her, leaving her not totally alone, but she’s not sure he’s trustworthy while the school counselor tries to help Hannah navigate her grief.

Clai
Tehani
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, australian
Wow. I just read this in an afternoon, much of which was in a very crowded doctors' surgery, and it had me in tears, as well as at times with a big stupid grin on my face, and at others so angry I couldn't unclench my jaw. If you go into this novel expecting anything like Zorn's first novel The Sky So Heavy, you will be left wanting in only one way: there is not near future apocalypse here. Well, except for the apocalypse of a small family, torn apart by grief. But oh my, if one of the things yo ...more
Tara
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like there must be something wrong with me because I didn't really connect with this book. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but I didn't really feel anything for the characters. I am putting it down to where my head is at the moment and maybe reading it in too shorter bursts.
Calzean
This is another book for YA that should be read by adults. It covers bullying and it's impact, coming to grips with the death of a sister in a car accident, dealing with guilt, grief and fragile parents, the dangers of unsuitable counselling and the power of friendship. And then there are the excellent minor characters of Mrs Van the neighbour and the school counsellor Ann. Its an unhappy happy story.
Emily Mead
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read reviews, see awesome GIFS and see my rambling thoughts at my blog, The Loony Teen Writer

This is my second five-star book by Claire Zorn. Just so you know.

And it was sad. Oh, it was so sad. Throughout the book we get flashbacks to what happened before Katie’s death (Katie is our main character’s sister). Basically, Hannah was bullied – horribly. These moments are told in such detail that I wanted to cry. Seriously, teenagers suck. (said the teenager) I just can’t comprehend how this type of
Sue
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 3 hours. It's that good.
Hannah's sister Katie is dead. Killed in a car accident in which Hannah's dad drove, and Hannah was a passenger, the accident happened almost a year ago. With a court case approaching the pressure is on for Hannah to remember what happened in the accident. But she can't. Or won't. Hannah's mum spends most of her days in bed,m not talking to anyone. When she does venture out an argument with Hannah's dad usually ensues and it is a miserable existence fo
Lisa Mandina
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, because of my normal reluctance to read this genre, I picked this one up, not sure if I would even finish it. Not sure if I would like it. But then, as often happens I picked it up, and was sucked into the story. Because the author doesn't give it all away at the beginning, you have to kind of get the back story in bits and pieces of details given throughout the story, it keeps you turning pages to find out just what life was like for Hannah. You also aren't quite sure of what the exac ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC copy of this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating 4.5
Jessica (BookObsessedJess)
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, arcs

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Oh. Have I been stabbed in the heart, or am I just bleeding from a gaping hole in my chest? DO I EVEN HAVE A HEART?! I HAVE A HEART?!?! WHAT IS THIS FEELING?!

EVERYTHING HURTS

Protected follows young Hannah and picks up almost a year after her sister Katie was killed in a car accident. Compounded with a seriously depressed mum and an injured dad, Hannah has deep psychological issues not only
Samantha (WLABB)
Me and grief books are always a good match, and this one did not disappoint. So many feels and other complicated feeling felt as I devoured this book.

Pro: So. Many. Feels. I knew this would be emotional, but it was more than I expected.

Pro: The story structure employed by Zorn was well used. The places where she chose to flip between the past and the present were wisely selected, and added to the over all tension and mystery in the story.

Con: Katie was a huge disappointment. There were so man
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017yafiction
This is YA fiction set in Australia in the aftermath of a family tragedy which Hannah, the main character, feels is her fault. I can see why it's picked up a few awards in Australia. It moves along at a pretty decent pace but still takes a enough time for some scenery.

It is definitely not disappointing. If you read the back of the book jacket and find the book appealing based on that, then you will definitely like this book. Because of the subject matter, it may not appeal to everyone. Ideal fo
Morris
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
I was crying off and on during most of this read. The author is masterful in setting the tone both for Hannah herself and those around her. The descriptions of her home and family made me feel like I was living there with her. I highly recommend this one.

This review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher in exchange for honest feedback.
Mary
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book. i need more people to read Claire Zorn's books.

The Protected is Claire Zorn’s second novel and you can see the recurring theme in her work - families and the relationships between their members. The Protected tells the story of Hannah, whose world is shattered after the death of her sister Katie, in a car accident. Her mother is suffering from major depression, her father is dealing with the aftermath of the accident, both physical and otherwise, and Hannah is left drifting, with
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
4 Stars.
Claire Zorn, you are incredible. I absolutely loved Claire's dystopian, The Sky so Heavy and The Protected is absolutely brilliant. The characters are beautifully intricate, well developed with a raw and realistic quality. Claire allows each narrative to deliver their thoughts with a sassy and sarcastic wit, which is not only clever, but allows the reader to relate and invest in her characters through humour. The Protected follows the same premise,
Michelle
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little while to read this because I have been in bit of a slump, but today I buckled down and finished it all and enjoyed it quite a bit. I can relate to what Hannah dealt with at school in terms of bullying which really struck a cord with me. I loved how she grew and developed though and Josh was just an awesome guy. This was a good little contemporary.
Ben Scott-smith
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Protected is, so far, the best book I've ever read. Hannah reminded me a bit about myself, and I could connect with the characters even further because I had met Claire Zorn when she released The Protected at my school, so I had a bit of an insight to where the characters came from.

You don't read a good book, you experience it, which is exactly what I did with The Protected. I felt Hannah's emotions and cried when her mum said: (view spoiler)
Anne Weaver
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-favourites
Sad,but excellent. Bullying, fear, and then some hope, but very sad
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
I was at first drawn to Protected because I am interested in family-oriented contemporaries that explore the bonds we have with our family members and how they are never truly lost. I have to say that this is a book that showcases that very clearly.

Hence, I enjoyed this story a lot and I am excited to read more from Claire Zorn in the future. Even though the protagonist wasn't the most likeable, the plot was executed well and the morals given out by the reading of this book are great.

Protected i
Julia Bucci
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. This is a powerful young adult book. Hannah is in a car crash with her Dad and older sister. Her Dad now walks with crutches and her sister is no longer alive. Previous to the car crash Hannah was the joke of the class while her sister Kate was gorgeous, popular, and confident in a way Hannah couldn’t even pretend to be. After the crash everyone walks on egg shells around her and no one teases her anymore. Did she wish for this

• Head of the River
  • The Pause
  • Writing Clementine
  • Found
  • Cooper Bartholomew Is Dead
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • Take Three Girls
  • My Life as a Hashtag
  • Pieces of Sky
  • Intruder
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • The Haunting of Lily Frost
Claire Zorn grew up in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. She studied Fine Arts at UWS and Writing at UTS. She currently lives on the South Coast of NSW with her husband and two small children.