Start by marking “Crossing the Lines” as Want to Read:
Crossing the Lines

Crossing the Lines

Sulari Gentill, author of the 1930s Rowland Sinclair Mysteries, jumps to the post-modern in Crossing the Lines.

A successful writer, Madeleine, creates a character, Edward, and begins to imagine his life. He, too, is an author. Edward is in love with a woman, Willow, who's married to a man Edward loathes, and who loathes him, but he and Willow stay close friends. She's an
Published August 1st 2017 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Crossing the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing the Lines

Start your review of Crossing the Lines
Phrynne
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
I went into this book with no idea what it was about apart from the fact that it was not one of the Rowland Sinclair series. It turned out to be an absolute gem.

Two writers, each writing a book in which the other is the main character. Who really is the author and who is the imaginary character? Gentill manages to have them both on the page simultaneously to the point where they appear to communicate verbally and eventually physically. To say it is cleverly done is an understatement.

I love the
Jayme
Fascinating!

While writing this all I could think about was the Oscar Wilde quote: “life imitates art far more than art imitates life”...

In this case, the “art” is Madeleine d’Leon’s own crime novel. As her marriage deteriorates she pens her perfect man, in her protagonist, Edward McGinnity, called Ned by his friends.

Or is the “art” Ned’s book? His love for Willow is unrequited, so he settles for being her best friend. As she pulls further and further away from him, he begins to fall for the
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
Confusing, confusing, confusing. I’m still not totally sure who was the real writer and who was the character? The ending was more metaphysical and philosophical that I would’ve liked. Or, if that was the intent of the story, it didn’t go far enough into that direction, in my opinion. The book played on a tightrope, unsure of which side to fall on, and ultimately my enjoyment suffered because of it.

I liked both the characters and how their lives and writing were affecting each other, but
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘This is my life, not just a story, …’

Madeleine D’Leon is a successful writer: her crime fiction series featuring Veronica Killwilly series is very successful. But Madeleine is drawn to a different story. She creates a new character, Edward McGinnity, a writer of literary fiction, and as she begins to imagine his life, becomes drawn into it.

Metafiction, or mystery? Or both …

Edward is in danger, but so is Madeleine. As she becomes caught up in Edward’s world, she retreats into it, spending less
Karen
Known for her Rowland Sinclair historical crime series and her YA Hero trilogy, Sulari Gentill delivers something very different with this new novel. Full review at Newtown Review of Books
Emma
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I couldn’t put this down! I was so interesting, the twists the turns. Maddie battling with herself, Edward as well.
I didn’t exactly love the ending but it was an expected outcome. Brilliantly told story with suspense and mystery surrounding it!
3 1/2 stars.
Ray Palen
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gentill brilliantly takes the story within the story and an author's obsession with their character to the next level. Think Stephen King's "The Dark Half" but on another level. Cannot reveal any more without spoiling the fun. Nothing supernatural here, just good story-writing.
Janet
When a super-speed reader doesn't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!!

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

2018 Winner of the Ned Kelly Awards for Best Crime Fiction

Sulari Gentill, the author of the 1930s Rowland Sinclair
Carolyn McBride
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a multi-layered book! Don't try and read this one if you're tired, because you need to pay attention to keep it all straight. I had to read the first few chapters a couple of times to keep the threads of the plot untangled. It's a brilliant premise, and I can well imagine all the notes the author must have used in the writing of it.

It's complex, cranial, absolutely psychologically twisty. A very, very different read!
Jen
Review to follow in the Library Journal. I think it is worth noting that I finished this while waiting in the line to see Hilary Clinton speak at the 2017 ALA convention. 6AM line for speaker at 10. ...more
Kate
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually 4 1/2 stars..... a clever, intriguing, unique story with a great cast of characters and an unfurling plot that will keep readers guessing after the last page is turned......
Tundra
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 rounded up. A very interesting plot concept having a writer writing about another author while he simultaneously creates her. I think Sulari Gentill executed this well and I was able to follow her transitions without problem. It was fun to watch both characters evolve and become involved in their intertwined lives and the crimes at the heart of each story.
I’m not sure I think the setting was completely successful. It was meant to be modern Australia but apart from some kangaroos I wouldn’t
Alyssa
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Madeleine d’Leon is a crime fiction writer who is taking a break from her successful series of mystery novels to write a whodunit with a brand new character – Edward McGinnity, a literary author who has found himself embroiled in the murder of art critic Geoffrey Vogel.

Edward McGinnity is writing a story about Madeleine d’Leon, lawyer and crime fiction writer whose marriage to doctor Hugh Lamond is waning after several miscarriages.

While this may sound confusing, Crossing the Lines cleverly
Jeffrey
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tale that starts out with the query: "What if you wrote of someone writing you? In the end which of you would be real?"

So we are introduced to Madeleine - Maddie to her husband. She, a writer of mystery novels, is introduced to us by Edward who is writing Madeleine's story. But we learn immediately that she has begun an atypical novel writing about Edward, a writer of literary novels.

And here begins a story of Edward writing a novel about Madeleine who is penning a book about Edward - with a
Elaine
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of After She Wrote Him.

This is an immersive, meta story about a female crime writer, Madeleine, who becomes enamored of the male lead, Edward, she is writing about.

Or is he in love with her?

Both Madeleine and Edward are going through a tumultuous time in their lives; she is still struggling with the aftermath of yet another miscarriage and suspects her physician husband, Hugh, is stepping out on her; a colleague of Edward's has been murdered at a gallery
Leslie - MamaNeedsABook
Wow! I just loved this book! It was like a classic mystery, mixed with literary fiction, mixed with a psychological thriller.

Madeleine and Edward are both authors and they are writing about each other. Madeleine is a murder mystery writer and Edward is an author of literary fiction. This book explores their writing process - which was a lot of fun! Edward is at an art gallery when a man he despises is murdered. He begins investigating to clear his own and his friend's name. Madeleine is a
Bec Hombsch
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want to start by saying that I am in no way paid, endorsed or was offered any kind of compensation in lieu of this review.

Secondly, I will freely admit. I am a lover of Sulari’s work. I have a review for The Hero Trilogy on my computer waiting to be posted, but between work, school and issues with Wordpress it hasn’t happened. I am yet to read the Roland Sinclair series, but they are on my to read list.

From the moment, she posted the cover reveal for Crossing the Lines, I knew I wanted to
Heidi
“Perhaps telling lies is the only way to find the real truth.”

I have always been irresistibly drawn to the “book within a book” concept. AFTER SHE WROTE HIM, however, takes the whole idea one step further, because here we potentially have two books within a book, and no idea which one is reality and which one is fiction. If this totally confuses you, then hey – give it a go! It certainly was one of the most original, intriguing ideas I have ever come across, and it really messed with my mind.

Alisa
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you heard of the idea that someone should write a book where the main character falls in love with the reader? I've always thought it impossible but after this book I think a talented writer could just create something like that. And Sulari Gentill is a very talented writer, because,you see,in After She Wrote Him we see a writer fall in love with a character. Only,which one is which?
Madeleine is a lawyer and a writer of crime fiction. She is married to Hugh,the small town doctor. Everything
Pam Tickner
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I shouldn't have read this so close to finishing Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz as they were very similar. Both were a story within a story, an author writing a book about an author writing a book, and both talked extensively about crime writers tools of the trade and both referenced Agatha Christie as their crime 'muse'. I found the setting and time period in this book confusing. It is modern day Sydney, as there are mobile phones, yet it felt more like the 1903's like Gentill's other ...more
Audrey
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Meta-fiction—fiction about fiction, or fiction that's conscious of itself as fiction—can often be tedious to read and self-conscious. "Crossing the Lines" is neither. It's a fast-moving, plot-driven mystery that also plays with the distinctions between reader and storyteller, character and writer.

The book's main characters, one a writer of crime fiction and the other a literary author, are also characters in one another's books. Somehow Gentill tells their entangled stories without ever
Gina Burgess
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here is an excellent venture into the mind of a writer and mind of a character interacting. I've actually had conversations with my characters before... but not like this!

Excellent writing, but not so great an ending. I felt very deflated and disappointed. I guess, if I had read any other of her books, I might have been prepared for this kind of ending. This was my first read of hers and I completely and enthusiastically enjoyed it all the way to the last chapter, maybe last 2 chapters.

The
Lydia
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crossing The Lines is definitely a book I have never read before. It was different and confusing at times, but good different and confusing. I kept wanting to know more. Chapter after chapter it got harder to put the book down. I felt for both main characters and liked most of them. I thoroughly enjoyed this read though I was saddened by the ending. As I said, I felt for the main characters. I won’t spoil anything. Sulari Gentill is a great writer and I enjoyed the story and was intrigued enough ...more
Abhinav Ka
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author Sulari Gentill describes the book as 'unusual.' Indeed, it is. After She Wrote Him is a re-edited version of her novel Crossing the Lines.

Madeline, an author, starts writing a crime novel about a writer, Edward. As her book progresses, she finds herself falling in love with Edward. Now Edward is also writing a book with Madeline as the protagonist. Who is the creator and who is the cast?

Thanks to the publishers and Edelweiss+ for an ARC of this wonderful book.
Denice Langley
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderfully original story line! Sulari Gentill has written a READER'S book. Anyone reading this one will be pulled into the book as you try to figure out which character is the writer and which the figment of the writer's imagination. The story moves quickly, but never in the direction you expect. Characters come to life, but again, which character? I can't wait to see what she follows this story with....
Jack Heath
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
Synopsis: a successful writer, Madeleine, creates a character and begins to imagine his life. She gets into him too much. There's a murder.
Leila
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting read, drew me in slowly and left me pondering at the end.
Liz Filleul
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really unusual and fascinating novel by Sulari Gentill, best known for her 1930s historical mysteries featuring Rowland Sinclair. In Crossing the Lines, Gentill explores the blurring of reality and fiction in the life of crime writer Madeleine d'Leon, who is becoming obsessed with her literary writer turned sleuth Edward McGinnity. Or is it literary writer Edward McGinnity who's becoming obsessed with his crime writer creation Madeleine d'Leon?

I'm going to be thinking about this book for a long
Rebecca Freeborn
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a clever book, and as a writer it was delightfully indulgent to read a book about writers writing about writers. Really enjoyed it.
Vijaya
Dec 03, 2017 added it
Confusing.. didn't finish .
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Like, Follow, Kill
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Remember
  • The Fragments
Not so long ago, Sulari Gentill was a corporate lawyer serving as a director on public boards, with only a vague disquiet that there was something else she was meant to do. That feeling did not go away until she began to write. And so Sulari became the author of the Rowland Sinclair Mysteries: thus far, six historical crime novels chronicling the life and adventures of her 1930s Australian ...more