Start by marking “Apollo's Raven (Curse of Clansmen and Kings #1)” as Want to Read:
Apollo's Raven (Curse of Clansmen and Kings #1)

Apollo's Raven

(Curse of Clansmen and Kings #1)

Can a Curse Control Ancient Britannia?

The world is in turmoil. Celtic kings hand-picked by Rome to rule are fighting each other for power. King Amren's former queen, a powerful Druid, has cast a curse that foretells Blood Wolf and the Raven will rise and destroy him.

King Amren reveals to his daughter, Princess Catrin, the grim prophesy that his former queen pronounced at h
Published April 9th 2017 by Apollo Raven Publisher

To ask other readers questions about Apollo's Raven, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Linnea Tanner
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Andrea
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Apollo's Raven was an interesting read. It is a story about love, greed, and betrayal. Basically, the story is about the main character, Catrin, who falls in love with the enemy she was supposed to seduce. By doing this, she ends up putting her entire family, and kingdom in jeopardy.

The same goes for Marcellus who was also supposed to get information from Catrin by seducing her, but things don't turn out the way he
Gary Dolman
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won a handsome, hardbound edition of this recent release on the author's website. Apollo's Raven is historical fiction, set in Romano-British times. I am something of a stickler (pedant, even) for historical accuracy and I must say that the novel passed this first hurdle with flying colours. Linnea Tanner's passion for this period shines through and adds to the novel's appeal. The narrative was compelling, skillfully interweaving several plot-lines to a satisfying, if rather unexpected conclus ...more
DubaiReader
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, boom, audible
Romance, intrigue and sorcery.
One of the great things about receiving free audiobooks for review is that I get to sample genres out of my comfort zone. Although I am a fan of historical fiction, I have never read anything set in Roman times.
Apollo's Raven is fascinating, not just from the point of view of the belief systems of those times - curses, wolf spirits and sorceresses, but also for its insight into the way negotiations took place - with a hostage left in the enemy camp to ensure a serio
Melisende d'Outremer
The subject matter (Romano-Briton, Celtic mythology) was of huge interest to me as a number of years ago, I submerged myself in this topic from every aspect, so I was looking forward to reading this novel.

And so I read it. And it has left no impression on me at all. I just really did not connect in any way with the story, the characters, the writing style - it just left me flat with no emotional response. I have read and enjoyed other fantasy fictional stories interwoven with pseudo-Celtic over
Maggie Stancu
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good! I love epic fantasy and historical fiction, and this amazing novel is combines the two in the most beautiful way! A story of love, darkness, and self acceptance, it is only made greater by the magical elements. Very well done.
This was an Onlinebookclub.org book of the day and I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review. Be sure to check out all of my thoughts on my post, live now over on Fiction's Mistress! https://fictionsmistress.wordpress.co...
Laura Graves
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Apollo’s Raven by Linnea Taylor is an interesting book that combines many currently popular genres. I enjoyed it because it had flavors of fantasy and themes I often see in the role playing, table-top games I play. The story is set primarily in Britannia and Rome. In this way, it has some reflection of our world and history, but it does have many fantasy themes such as characters possessing magical powers, that set this world apart. The main character is Catrine, a young princess who is trying t ...more
Notes From 'Round the Bend
I’ve always enjoyed fantasy romances set in ancient or medieval settings, and if I had to pick one genre to read forever, it would be this. And with promises of desire, intrigue, danger, and forbidden love, “Apollo’s Raven” seemed as if it would fit my tastes perfectly. In the end, there were definitely some things to be desired about the execution of the premise, but it was a decent story and it’s clear Ms. Tanner has a passion for the period and cutltures.

What I enjoyed most about “Apollo’s Ra
Bea
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I rarely read fantasy stories, but this one I couldn’t pass up. The cover was so beautiful and the Celtic/Druid focus drew me right in. I am so very glad I read this book because the author was amazing. Her writing style, research, and ability to capture the reader were all top notch.

I enjoyed this book immensely, the story line and characters were easy to get to know and captured my imagination immediately. I doubt if there are too many women who wouldn’t find Catrin someone they would like to
Linus Treefoot
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Apollo's Raven is a triumphant blend of historical research and imaginative story telling. It was very exciting in parts, especially near the end when the prisoners are exchanged. It gave me some knowledge about an historical period I know very little about.
Yolimari G.
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Luciana Cavallaro
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what life would be like in Ancient Britannia in the 1st Century CE? Or how the British Celts felt about the invasion of the Romans and the political unrest that ensued?

Apollo’s Raven is insightful and informative historical novel from new American writer Linnea Tanner. It paints a picture of Ancient Britannia and the ruling structure of the Celtic tribes, an antithesis of what made the Roman Empire powerful and dominant dictators.

The main character, Catrin, a Celtic Warr
Christeena
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Story

My favorite part of this story was seeing how the characters evolved from beginning to end. I wish there was more explanation on how the gods’ affected the characters’ decisions & actions. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in mystical, medieval stories!!
Claire
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got so lost in this book that I didn't realize how much time was passing, I only noticed the time when the book ended... 2am... oops!

So it probably now goes without saying, but I loved this book and I'm definitely getting the next book int he series to find out what's going to happen next.

The story is beautifully crafted, it took me on a journey along with Catrin (the main character) who is coming into her Druidic powers and discovering that she is the subject of a prophesy and what that means
Kerrie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Apollos Raven by Linnea Tanner, there isn't just mythology, magic and deception, there is also an epic love story, intrigue and mystery. Anyone who enjoys history, myth and a wonderful family tale will fall head over heels in love with this novel.

Catrins family is cursed, and as a princess she is in dire need to rid her family of said curse. She will fight to the death, and one of her special abilities can help, the ability to see through a raven's eye.

Imagine, for a moment, a Celtic Romeo an
Kelsie
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Apollo’s Raven is the first book in the Curse of Clansmen and Kings series by Linnea Tanner. This epic is a historical fantasy featuring an ancient curse. Apollo’s Raven packs a powerful punch with healthy doses of romance, political intrigue, sorcery, mythology, betrayal and sacrifice. The story is mostly told from the viewpoint of the two main characters, Catrin and Marcellus. The author gives both characters full backgrounds that make them extremely relatable.

I found this novel worthy of the
Pat
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by this author and I enjoyed it a lot. Lots of myths, history and love stories to keep you engaged and guessing.
Lydia Peever
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paid-reviews
Catrin is a princess, soul traveler and mystic. A sorceress cum shapeshifter and the daughter of King Amren of the Cantiaci. The historical fiction of Linnea Tanner, “Apollo’s Raven”, begins with Catrin along with her sisters Vala and Mor, who are trapped in the clash of kingdoms between the tattooed Cantuvellauni people of her Celtic homeland, and the advancing Roman armies. While their combat instructor, Belinus, is distracted by the middle daughter, Mor, and eldest sister Val is betrothed to ...more
April Pulliam
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book One of Linnea Tanner’s Apollo’s Raven series chronicles the drama surrounding Princess Catrin, her royal family, the curses and intertwined fates of all who dare love them.
Catrin, the youngest of King Amren’s daughters, possesses an ability which both thrills and terrifies her. Through her raven companion, she is able to travel and both see and feel far beyond any human capability. By entering its mind, Catrin no longer thinks or feels as herself. Her gift, the product of a family curse,
Lidia
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As usual with audiobooks, this is a slightly altered version of the review I posted on Audible:)

"Apollo's Raven" is both intriguing and captivating. The political game of trusts and mistrusts, machinations and manipulations, with "plans within plans within plans" (as Frank Herbert once wrote:)) serves as a magnificent background for Catrin and Marcellus's love story. The elements of the Druids' magic (which I really don't know much about) are woven expertly into the picture, mixing historical wi
Richard Dominguez
First off I would like to say 1) Apollo's Raven was sent to me by Linnea Tanner as a giveaway which she kindly signed and is a special edition 2) having read "Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter" I don't really think of Magic/Fantasy as my genre 3) this is the first book by Ms Tanner I have read and I can happily say it is not going to be my last one ...
Apollo's Raven was a fantastic read. The story was well told and moved along at a great pace, not once leaving me behind/confused or lost. The
AudioBookReviewer
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My original Apollo's Raven audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

A vicious and vengeful power struggle ensues between the Celtic Kings with Rome waiting in the background for the results.  Catrin, a young warrior princess who have powers from her Raven must not fulfill the horrifying prophecy and ancient curse.  Catrin pits her strength and unworldly powers of the Raven against her banished half-brother, Merrick to save her kingdom, her family, and her true love, Ma
Cold  Coffee
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story. Travel back to a time in 24 AD where strong Celtic women find themselves influencing Clansmen, Kings and Queens. This ancient time is set in Rome and on the Southeast Coast of Britannia where fantasy, mythology, medieval practices, politics, religion, Celtic culture, the Roman Empire, and forbidden romance bring about this fictional tale tailored by well researched history, archaeological evidence supported with a cast of fictional and non-fictional characters artfully woven i ...more
Rosary McQuestion
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first began reading Apollo’s Raven, I had no idea that I was about to embark on an epic journey of love, betrayal, mysticism, and the fierceness of a beautiful Celtic warrior princess determined to fight for her family and kingdom. But there is also love, and the unmistakable chemistry she shares with a man she shouldn’t trust. And once she lets her heart guide her decision to love the opposing Roman warrior, what comes next is an adventure of magnanimous proportions that raise consequenc ...more
Karen Ingalls
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A tale of a young Princess who in the era of 24 AD, Catrin falls in love with the Roman son of her father's archenemy. It is a gripping story of history, romance, and mythology. Catrin must try to rescue her father, save her lover, and keep herself safe. The folklore of the raven, mysterious healing concoctions, and the mystery of death are all a part of this fascinating story. This is the first book I have read by this author, but not the last.
Maggie
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Apollo’s Raven by Linnea Tanner is a fantastical and fast-paced historical fiction/fantasy novel that will thrill fans of Roman history and the Game of Thrones genre, as well as any reader who appreciates a bit of magic mixed in with their history. The full name of the novel is Apollo’s Raven: An Epic Celtic Tale of Love, Magic, Adventure, Intrigue and Betrayal in Ancient Rome and Britannia, and that mouthful of a title covers all the essential bases. That is not to say that the story is predict ...more
Annarella
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good mix of fantasy and historical fiction. It is entertaining and very well written.
The characters are well developed, the villain interesting and the plot is really good, with no plot hole.
I look forward to reading the next instalment.
Recommended.
Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher
InD'tale Magazine
“Apollo’s Raven” is a good balance of adventure, magic, and romance.

Read full review in the 2018 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Grace Kelly
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

This is a great mix of mythology, history and fantasy. The story does start off a little slow but eventually picks up pace and keeps you wondering what will happen next. The ending was not what I expected and I definitely plan on reading the rest of the series.
Samantha Holtsclaw
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of a series

I really enjoyed the characters and plot. Everything was well developed and believable. It encompasses multiple genre types to keep everyone entertained.
Heidi
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Sorcery, deception, forbidden love, a prophecy, an ancient curse...a thrilling ride!

Read my official OnlineBookClub review here:
Linnea Tanner weaves Celtic tales of love, magic, adventure, betrayal and intrigue into historical fiction set in Ancient Rome and Britannia. Since childhood, she has passionately read about ancient civilizations and mythology which held women in higher esteem. Of particular interest are the enigmatic Celts who were reputed as fierce warriors and mystical Druids.

Depending on the time of day and s

Curse of Clansmen and Kings (2 books)
  • Dagger's Destiny (Curse of Clansmen and Kings, #2)