Start by marking “Halls of Law” as Want to Read:
Halls of Law

Halls of Law

(Faraman Prophecy #1)

The Faraman Polity was created by the first Luqs, and has been ruled for generations by those of the Luqs bloodline. It is a burgeoning empire maintained by the combined efforts of the standing military force and the Talents of the Halls of Law. While the military preserves and protects, it is the Halls' Talents—those gifted from birth with magical abilities—who serve as t ...more
Published August 1st 2017 by DAW Books

To ask other readers questions about Halls of Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halls of Law

Bookwraiths
Aug 18, 2017 added it
Shelves: d-n-f
DNF. I'm just not feeling this book at all. Time to give up.
Emily
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Halls of Law by V.M. Escalada
****4****

Kerida Nast only ever wanted to be a soldier, having come from a family of soldiers. When it is discovered that she posses the Talent however her entire life changes. Talents reside within the Halls of Law and assist the Polity in ruling the country. However Talents are alone and apart from the rest of society, including even their own families.

I think the things that struck me the most with this book was the culture/world building. It was very simply done b
Marlene
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

If you are looking for a new epic fantasy series to sink your reading teeth into, and where you can get in at the very beginning without having to read through a huge pile of doorstop-sized books, Halls of Law is definitely a winner.

It’s also an epic fantasy for the 21st century, where we have an absolutely marvelous heroine’s journey from the outset, as well as a hero’s journey that looks like it will take us to some fascinating places.

Our point of view ch
Jessica Strider
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pros: excellent world-building, great characters, interesting plot

Cons: a few points drag

Kerida Nast was born into a powerful military family, so she’s not happy when it’s discovered that she has the Talent and must leave her family and join the Halls of Law. Flashing objects and people allows Talents to know truth in matters of judgement. Just as she comes to terms with her fate, a foreign invasion takes place, upending her life and forcing her to flee or die. She joins up with some defending s
Alexander Sedge
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Maybe I came into this with my expectations too high. I mean, a story about a nation with people capable of discerning objective truth, invaded by a militaristic, misogynist force that can overwrite the minds of otherwise-rational people... seems kinda timely, doesn't it? Like there's some sort of commentary or intelligent discussion to be had there?

But no, this book just feels like typical YA. Young girl gets superpowers. Her life is turned upside-down. She meets a cute man and they have bellig
Andria Potter
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Kirstain Brittain, Mercedes Lackey
What a cliffhanger. I'm so glad that I have book two ready and waiting, though if book two has as terrible a cliffhanger, I might wait for book three to come out because sheesh, the drama! the Romance! The life and death situations!

In other news, I want a baby griffin please.

Kerida's story is one that fans of First Green Rider from Kristian Brittian as well as the Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey fans will definitely enjoy. It's got some of the same elements-traveling by horseback to survive
Anne Morgan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Book One in the Faraman Prophecy skillfully creates and shatters an established world, leaving the survivors to find their way in the wreckage. Escalada has a talent for world building while at the same time not explaining the world as if to an outsider. The reader is immersed in a new world, one whose sights, scents, and sounds are as organic as the people who populate it. All of the characters, especially Kerida, are multidimensional and complex. They have their strengths and weaknesses, their ...more
Emilie
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book from Netgalley.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was full of adventure, interesting characters, magic, peril, friendship, and excitement. I really wanted to know more about the characters, their journey, and their world--which meant I had a very hard time putting the book down. The plot, character development, and world-building was all very good and caused me to stay up too late reading more than once.
Ker, the main character, was a strong female and it
Eric
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, new-fantasy
The first book in this new fantasy series starts off with a young girl who grew up wanting to be a soldier only to be taken against her will and placed in a Hall where she will be trained in the use of her Talent. Before long her new life is disrupted as her homeland is thrown into chaos by an invading army.

First the things I liked. I thought the writing was smooth and very readable. That helps keep the story moving along pretty well, there were only a few places where I felt the pace dipped sl
Rusty
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this eARC from Netgalley and the publisher.
In this start to a new epic fantasy series we find a country that is ruled with the help of the Halls of Law, which are a sort of guild of magicians. The magic they wield allows them to "flash" or read objects and people to find out the truth of things. At the beginning of the book we are introduced to Kerida, who was being a raised a warrior but whose magic has manifested thereby forcing her to go to the Halls of Law for training. Shortly af
Sarai Henderson
When I pick up a new fantasy novel, I really want it to stand out. With this book, it was good, but nothing I hadn't read before. I loved the whole Halls of Law vibe. It reminded me of Robert Jordan's A New Spring, with all the classes of magic and how they have to learn to wield their power. I also enjoyed the characters. They showed a lot of depth and class through the whole story. I gave the book three stars because I was entertained through the whole book, but I was hoping for something more ...more
Crystal
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book in a monthly book box. It was a decent read and a different story line than I have read in the past. Good characters and decent writing. I will not be reading the second book now but later down the line I may get to reading it.
Jared
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Some things seemed to happen very easily, and others weren't quite explained fully (for example, the prophecy we never actually hear) but the story was fast paced and kept my interest.
A.A. Jankiewicz
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this debut into a new series. The story and characters are highly engaging and I had a hard time putting it down. Can't wait for the next one!
Lace
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well written and interesting science fiction/fantasy novel. I really enjoyed reading this, and would recommend it to fans of this genre.
Aingeal Stone
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantast
I enjoyed this book enough to want to continue the series.
Susan
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-read
I won this book through Goodreads. Wow. Really exciting. I could not put it down. Loved the characters and the storyline. A must read!
Lourdes
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story, slow at times but overall a good read.

Review to follow
Nicole Luiken
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian, sf-fantasy
Interesting premise with the main character caught between loyalty to her military family and the Halls of Law (a magic institute)--and then boom! the entire country is invaded. Some nice plot twists and cool magic. I liked how Flashing grew more and more useful as Kerida's skill grew.
Ro
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rapid Fire Review: Halls of Law tells the story of a reluctant heroine with rich world building, uncomfortably recognizable gender-based issues wrapped up in a prophecy that makes this journeyman's tale stands apart. It was a surprisingly quick read for almost 500 pages.

I loved how Escalada used the ever-controversial theme of women in power and a woman being a power to weave together the threads of political drama, social hierarchy, and knowledge of self to create a unique story and set the st
Duquesne Cook
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really wish you could give half stars because 4.5 seems like the correct rating in my mind. The magic powers in the book are very interesting and unique. Definitely a type of magic that I have not come across before. The main character (Ker) is great in my opinion and does a lot for making the book enjoyable. I also enjoy the whole premise of magic and soldiers, and the uneasy truce between them. It is very believable and helps make the trials faced in the book a lot more realistic.

The book is a
Dec 08, 2017
Idalia
Aug 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Red Tide (The Chronicles of the Exile, #3)
  • The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • The Mongrel Mage (The Saga of Recluce, #19)
  • Make Me No Grave
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Don't Get Mad: The Ins and Outs of Getting Even as An Entry Level Assassin
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • The Price of Power (Greyhawk Adventures #4)
  • In the Red Lord's Reach (Tales of Alaric the Minstrel, #2)
  • Kings in Hell (Heroes in Hell, #4)
  • Bloodfeud (The Scarlet Star Trilogy #3)
  • Wild Prince (Takhini Shifters, #4)
  • Of Sand and Malice Made (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #0.5)
  • Chronicle of the Eternal: Volume 1
  • Bad Faith (The Dragon Lords #3)
  • Big Bad Bite Returned (Big Bad Bite, #2.5)
  • Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson
  • Thief of the Night Guild (Queen of Thieves #2)

Faraman Prophecy (2 books)
  • Gift of Griffins