Start by marking “Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them” as Want to Read:

Our connection to the horse is ancient and visceral. These humble creatures are mentioned in the earliest samplings of the written word, which illustrates how the human/equine bond transcends cultural and economic barriers. The horse's integral role in man's evolution, society's development and the growth of civilizations is unquestioned; they have been immortalized by Hol ...more
Published July 10th 2003 by Health Communications (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul

H.orses
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, its filled with amazing short stories all about horses, that all happen to be more then true. When I first got it, I powered though most of the stories, each bringing a different emotion. Its a great book to go back to any day, open to a random page, and just start reading. Some will make you cry, some will make you mad, or some will just make you go "awwww" and make you feel weird for talking to a book, but in the end its worth it.
Melissa
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
So a quick Wikipedia search showed that there are over 200 titles in the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. Don't worry, I'm not going to review them all, I don't think I could handle that. But I am going to read and review all of the ones on my bookshelf already, so I can justify getting rid of them. This book wasn't actually that bad, it had some decent stories in it.

Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul is about horses (and maybe a mule or two). So obviously if you are not a horse lover, thi
Melinda
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ALL horse lovers!!
I got this book for Christmas and haven't been able to put it down! It speaks so true to any horse lovers heart! I makes me so sad that I don't have a horse, but so happy for the people who do and care enough to share their stories with me!
Deena Zaitounh
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved horses and still do and this book, will all the great horse experiences of other people, made me love it even more! If there are any horse lover's out there, I HIGHLY recommend this book for you!
Jennifer ☕
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
I always love the Chicken Soup series. Being a horse lover this one doesn't disappoint.
Taylor
Mar 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-books
Great book if you love animals AKA horses.
Short little storys abotu horses and there owners.
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, pets
I loved this book. I have loved horses my whole life but can't afford to take care of one. This book shows me what I'm missing. Made me cry alot.
G.K. Hansen
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
For a book about horses, there's too much Jesus, with no other religious practices mentioned except when convenient to use quotes about horses from the Qu'ran (which are attributed to "Arabic proverbs", nice, guys). Did I miss that the Chicken Soup books were obnoxiously Christian as a child? Are they supposed to be? Is it just an unfortunate side effect?

Entire racehorse section boring and repetitive, huge differences in quality between pieces, not enough copy-editing, lots of fetishization of
Lyndsay-ann
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nature, short-stories
When I started reading this I was excited and was enjoying it. But I put it down for a long while, kind forgot I was reading it and when I went back to it, it didn't really hold my interest anymore. There was some really good stories, some that still stand out to me and really made me feel, but there was some that felt like you had to be in that world. A good book for horse lovers.
Karen
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as inspirational as I usually find these books to be, many of the stories were very dark for that. As a horse lover I enjoyed most of them, the collection left me a bit flat afterward, as opposed to uplifted. I certainly would recommend this book to adult horse lovers, but not children.
Cassandra
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Great stories
Amanda Heck
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse-books
Read as a kid over and over, but plan to read it again soon!
Shazza Maddog
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories about horses and the people who love them.
Ruby
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely do I come across a book that fills me with so much emotion! Nearly every story in this book reminded me of at least one of the horses that we’ve had on our own farm at one time or another in my lifetime…from Lucky (our incorrigible little Shetland pony) to April and Willy (our free, seemingly untamable spirits) to Grey (our soft hearted and lovable thoroughbred). I grew up knowing a special love for horses that has only grown stronger in my adulthood. Reading this book brought back a floo ...more
Cheryl
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This book came into my hands from a bookbox. I was already planning on giving away a large number of horse-themed books for the Becky's Hugs Release Challenge this February, so I thought it might make a good addition to that cause. (http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/.... Becky is the daughter of my friend ResQgeek. She was tragically killed when hit by a car while riding her bike. ResQgeek sponsor a release challenge every year in her honor, and also maintains a webpage. Becky's love lives in ...more
Charmaine Lloyd
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself. ~Author Unknown

And since I do not have the pleasure or ability to be around these ethereal animals at this stage of my life, this book does restore the soul by inspiring memories of being a teenager who was fortunate to be accepted and loved and taught by one of the most noble creatures on earth – My dun, Czardas.
The stories contained in the book are tender, funny and true to the nature of horses, and each tale defines the no
Taylor Troncin
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-2016-read
This is a collection of stories about people who own horses and love them. Each chapter is a new story by a new person.

This would be a great read aloud book or one to have in the classroom library. The stories can be inspirational to anyone and everyone despite their experiences with horses. Students might like to journal about their favorite animal story (horse-related or not).

I loved these stories. Some made me cry and others made me laugh. I felt a strong connection with each person sharing
Christianna Wethy
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Stories!

Well plan and thought out book. About half the stories made me cry or feel overwhelmed with happiness! I love how their true stories and real people and horses. Something about that just touches a readers heart. I would recommend this book to horse lovers and non horse lovers.
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horses-country
After a long day of work and college, I love the short but uplifting, inspirational, or sometimes emotionally sad stories about horses and their owners/riders. I have only ridden a horse a couple of times, but through reading this stories I feel like I am closer to understanding this amazing creature.
Juliana
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
They are all very sweet stories and i'm a passionate horse enthusiast and an english rider for 7 years. therefore i wish i saw more english riding stories because most of them were western. still love it though and i always read a few tales here and there.
Megan
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was a complete horse nut as a child, and still love them to a lesser degree today, but I absolutely loved this book when I was younger. Just another book that fueled my love for horses all those years ago.
Kayla
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love these stories. Some are uplifting, some are sad, some are funny and some are a mix of all of them. There are a few that stick in my mind and some that I will read over and over again. The fact that the stories are from real people make them all the more poignant and real.
Rachel
Sep 21, 2009 added it
I REALLY loved this book, though it is for horse lovers. I found it very inspirational to all. READ IT! I can't really tell about this book, because it is many short stories, but there are funny little comics in it too.
Casey
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The stories are all heartwarming, sad or inspiring, especially if you are a horse lover. Each story is so short that it is hard to get sucked into the book for long periods of time, but it is a great read if you want to be able to read a short story and set the book down.
Tara Lynn
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book! When Jackie first purchased it for me, I had to take a few weeks to read it, because there were so many parts that made me cry, I couldn't get through all of it at once. A beautifully edited book!
Angelica
Nov 02, 2010 added it
Shelves: book-report
look at my photo story in class. it is about horses and people loving each other and taking care of each other.
Laura Fong
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have this book in my personal collection. A great compilation of horse-related stories that make feel happy overall.
Amelia
Dec 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-read-again
This was not a vary god story to me, I think it needs more...pizzazz! To be perfectly frank, not a good book. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Teresa
Oct 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh yea ~ just like the other books in this series. Wonderul!
Alyssa
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
There's some nice, sad, happy, sweet, and touching stories in this book. Some of them made me cry :\
Horse lovers 1 5 Nov 09, 2007 08:35AM
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Hope Rising
  • Shadow Horse
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • A Good Horse Is Never a Bad Color: Tales of Training through Communication and Trust
  • Blind Beauty
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Sundancer
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Funny Cide
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • Horses For Dummies
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • Ruffian: Burning From the Start
  • Dark Sunshine (Phantom Stallion, #3)

Canfield received a BA in Chi