Start by marking “The Beachcomber” as Want to Read:
The Beachcomber

The Beachcomber

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  585 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The country's bestselling saga writer joins HarperCollins with another page-turning drama about struggle and triumph over adversity. The Beachcomber is the story of two people, each with a dream, each lonely in different ways, and just when everything seems to be coming right for them, fate steps in to turn their worlds upside down.
Published October 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2003)

Ally Harradine
Jan 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
The story line was ok, but the writing was terrible! I was so irritated by it at times that I swore that I wouldn't finish reading it. I only pushed through because I hate starting a book and not finishing it. Do yourselves a favour and skip this book
JJ
Jun 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was so bad I have no excuse for finishing it except my strange compulsion to finish every book I start no matter how bad. Writing was terrible. Story worse than a soap opera. Really, I can't think of a worse book I've read in a really long time.
Andrew
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has got some very mixed reviews, including some poor ones; I'm not sure why this is the case unless people picked the book up not knowing what type of book it was. This is essentially a romance book with an element of mystery in it. If you read it from this perspective it is a very enjoyable book! There are multi facets to the story, characters you like and are rooting for, and characters you just hate! It is quite a long story but as with this type of book you know it is going to come ...more
Bron
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, audio-book, 1950s
In the summer of 1952, two lonely people arrive in the pretty seaside hamlet of West Bay. Strangers coming from very different backgrounds, they are there for the same reasons: to find peace of mind and the chance to start a new life.

Tom Arnold has abandoned all his possessions and walked away from a highly paid job. A year ago, he had a wife and two beautiful children, when suddenly his world was turned upside-down. The car he was driving with his family was deliberately run off the road high a
Claire
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book seemed so old fashioned--not just the era in which it was set, but the writing itself. I was planning on writing in my review that it just didn't age well, didn't stand the test of time. But then I found out it was published in 2003!

Ugh, I just didn't get it. The story was interesting enough, but the writing was just...not good.
Jacqueline
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it,never heard of josephine cox but i'll definitely be looking for more by her,i expected a sort of love story but this book had mystery and genuinely disturbing characters as well as loveable ones!
Margaret
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book of Josephine Cox out of all her books. Lots of mystery, romance and adventure. Highly recommended.
Alysa
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I made it 50 pages before I totally gave up. I don't even know if the story was any good because I couldn't get past the absolutely atrocious writing.
Σπυροπούλου Άσπα
Πολύ ωραίο!Ενα βιβλίο που τα έχει ολα. Καλή γραφή , πλοκή που κερδίζει το ενδιαφέρον απο την αρχή και δεν θες να το αφήσεις λεπτό, αίσθημα, μυστήριο, ανατροπη. Απολαυσα την ανάγνωση του!
poppie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book despite grammatical errors etc. To me it didn't really detract from the story which although predictable in parts, there was a nice little twist at the end. Ideal holiday reading.
  • By Summer's End
  • Heart of the Night
  • Oh, That I Had Wings
  • Tapestry
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • The House on Lonely Street
  • Warning Signs (Angels of Mercy, #2)
  • The Outer Banks House
  • Blown Away!
  • Go Down to Silence
  • Magdalene
  • Camp Nine
  • Caught In The Web (How I Survived Middle School, #9)
  • My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester, #4)
  • The Shadow Queen
  • Echoes of Titanic
  • The Town House (House, #1)
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
Josephine Cox was born in Blackburn, one of ten children. At the age of sixteen, Josephine met and married her husband Ken, and had two sons. When the boys started school, she decided to go to college and eventually gained a place at university but was unable to take this up as it would have meant living away from home. Instead, she went into teaching – and started to write her first full-length n ...more
More about Josephine Cox...