Start by marking “Born in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Born in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #1)

Born in Fire

(Fire and Ice Trilogy #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  21,072 ratings  ·  1,260 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ASIN B06VXR25KZ.

Heart pounding and laugh out loud funny, USA Today Bestselling author K.F. Breene will take you on a magical joy ride you won't soon forget.

Supernatural Bounty Hunter isn't the sort of thing you see on LinkedIn. But with a rare type of magic like mine, I don't have many options.

So dangerous or not, the job is mine. And it was goi
Published February 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Born in Fire, please sign up.
K.F. Breene It is not a romance novel, which means there is no HEA at the end of the book. There is a sub-plot of romance that will go the length of the trilogy. …moreIt is not a romance novel, which means there is no HEA at the end of the book. There is a sub-plot of romance that will go the length of the trilogy. So "a while" is up to your interpretation. :)(less)
Crystal There's a few scenes that get 'hot', but no sex.…moreThere's a few scenes that get 'hot', but no sex.(less)

·  21,072 ratings  ·  1,260 reviews

Start your review of Born in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #1)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at: who the fish knows? Reading 50% of this book (aka a whooping 135 pages) felt like reading Ulysses twice. From back to front and upside down. You think I bothered checking the percentage after that?

Some reviewers People of Utterly Despicable Book Taste of Doom (PoUDBToD™) say this series reminds them of Kate Bloody Shrimping Daniels (KBSD™). Note to self: stay calm, Sarah. Stay calm. The murderous crustaceans are exhausted after their latest launch, and need to rest. Please try and refr
Lučka

I love K.F. Breene, but I didn't like this book. I will not even rate it, I feel too blah and meh at this point.

Incoherent rant alert!

The romance factor was really weird IMO.

The vampire-Darius kisses the h-Reagan, they dry-humped, then he invites her over his house. After dinner h asks another vampire where Darius is. The answer: He's feeding and having sex with OW.
description

This didn't fly with me well. Darius will clearly become her love interest in the upcoming books, he's very protective of her and
T00zday
So tempted to give this five stars. Just finished it and I'm itching to read it again. This clinches it, Breene is top 5 favorite author.
I need go read the rest of her books.
She writes SUCH great strong female leads!

So So SO recommended!

5.4.17 - Update: I keep re-reading this book in hopes that the second one will be released soon. Should be coming out this week or next.
Marisa Valle
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supes, urban-fantasy
So much better than I anticipated. The writing was good and the characters were interesting and appealing. Reagan is a great lead character because she's snarky but smart, cautious but brave, and she acknowledges her attraction to Darius but has enough self-control to stop herself from making mistakes. I actually love the dynamic between Darius and Reagan. I find that the best relationships in books start out this way. I will be anxiously awaiting the sequels and will be checking out the author' ...more
Jacob Proffitt
I really liked this and I don't even know why. I'm always going to be a sucker for a strong female and Reagan is that. I liked her backstory and that so much of her life is dictated by hiding who she really is from everybody. Her work as a bounty hunter is the best she can do given her proclivities and capabilities, but it also threatens to expose her secret so she can't ever completely let go and I liked that dynamic.

And it helps that the background was interesting and unique-enough to hold my
Kira
I felt like this book tried to be more than it was. It had a little of all the classic UF stuff i.e. snarky heroine, heroine with special powers, unexpected sidekicks, hidden background. None of it melded into anything unique.

Reagan had too much attitude. It was practically impossible for her to be serious no matter how dire the consequences. Sometimes it worked to her advantage because her behavior surprised others. Other times she seemed immature. Maybe it was just me but for about the first
Katrina
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5*

Entertaining read in Kate Daniels style ( sward - wielding snarky heroine with daddy issue, except Illona Andrews does it better - bow to the Master). Nerveless, I liked the characters, the writing and story line were good so it is on "Next book, please" list.
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

I have a love-hate relationship with this novel. I've read this author's novels in the past and have adjusted, somewhat, to her writing style. Heck, I've even truly enjoyed a few of her books in the past, but something about how this was written just didn't mesh well with me.

There were more than a handful of scenes where the heroine has walked to a certain spot in a house for example, after some dialogue or inner monologue she randomly mentions how the driver is weird. H
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 4.5 Stars *****

At first I thought the beginning was rocky, the world building was a bit rough, and the main character was overly sarcastic... but by the time I finished the book I WAS IN LOVE.

I got sucked into Reagan's world as a bounty hunter and was glued to her story. The fantasy was so entertaining! I couldn't put this down. And the vampires.... yummy yummy yummy. I wish the romance was a bit stronger here, but the slow burn just left me craving for MORE.

description description description description description

Ian
A good book is made great by characters I can't help but love and snarky banter. ...more
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I loved this book enough to read the trilogy over less than a 2 day span the first time, and re-read it already before the year is out.

Reagan is fun. She's independent, she's fierce, she's funny, she's resistant, she's harboring major hiding secrets for good cause. Darius and her are like oil and water - not a mix, he's infuriating at first but their relationship is funny, then steamy, then funny again, then intriguing. I love the pair, especially now that I've completed their trilogy.

The worl
Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog)
5 holy tater tit stars!~

I LOVED THIS! Seriously, Miss Breene herself claims it is not a romance, however happily I would like to disagree! We can agree to disagree! The tension between Reagan and Darius makes me downright smitten!

description

Reagan is hilarious! Her internal dialogue had me grinning ear to ear throughout the entire book! The fact that she is a bad ass heroin who can pretty much take care of herself (and others in the male variety) has giddy! Bravo! On to book 2~
Stacey is Sassy
Where's the love???

Unfortunately, while I liked this one, it didn't really suck me in. A little bit could be that there is no romance in this one. The hero (or future hero) has lustful thoughts towards the heroine. He tells her of these lustful thoughts, but it was hardly swoon-worthy. Considering he's still getting it on with 'humans' while he waits for her and tells her about it, I was less than impressed. The heroine is convinced that she's never going to get into a serious relationship, thou
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers ahead, 3.5*

I don't think this is really a romance as the H is still feeding and presumably still having sex with OW (at one point it's implied he fed and had sex with OW, they weren't together but I wasn't pleased) but the actual plot and the h definitely made it worth my time. Reagan is snarky, confident and powerful and her and the secondary characters are what made this book enjoyable for me. Whats his face was barely a blip on my radar. Moving on to the next
Hollie
I was in the mood for a good paranormal romance and saw what amazing reviews this series had so I decided to give it a try. It was just ok for me. I did like the heroine and the fast moving plot, but the lack of closure upon completion and the non-existent romance didn't work for me. I may still give book 2 a try at a later date. ...more
Jeanny
Highly entertaining read. I thought the h & Darius interactions hilarious. Will read the next book in this series.
Flora
An Urban Fantasy Story That Held Me Gripped And Wouldn't Let Go!

I am already a fan of Ms Breene's writing style and love the complexities of her characters, the pace her plots are set and the way I am kept guessing where and what will happen next. Born in Fire didn't disappoint!

I downloaded the narration by Nicole Poole and was blown away by her performance; the way she read the narrative, the tonal variations she used during the different scenes and the voices she gave the characters. Perfect.

I
Bethyboo ღ The Book Addict ღ
The similarities between this and the Kate Daniels isn't hard to miss. Usually i don't mind it, especially if i liked the first one, but this time it didn't do it for me. I couldn't really relate to any of the characters and i really didn't understand the thing between Darius and Reagan. Probably because I didn't like Darius. ...more
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Considering I have a love/hate relationship with this author I was expecting this to be bad. Luckily it wasn't. I did get to meet the nitwit, Penny. That wasn't fun, almost soured the entire book.

The plot reminds me of Kate Daniels, I like it at this point but that might change if it gets too much. The books are on KU so I'm definitely going to be checking them out.
Marguerite (M)
Mar 21, 2018 marked it as lost-interest
Clean that TBR already!
Shelved sometime in 2017 i believe
and i'm soooo behind schedule.
Emma
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started well and I was looking forward to getting back to it but then....There was too much dialogue and I found the story a bit weird!
Denisa
3.5 Fun read, great potential

I like this author, she has some very entertaining UFs.

The only thing that would have made this better: a longer series.
It is, unfortunately, something that happens often in KF Breen's series: a lot of them are trilogies (and that's just sad, they have incredible potential).

Ok, now I'll tell you a bit about this series (all of it, not only this book).
First book: ~3.5, but then the next books go to a 4-star rating.

It was so fun! I really liked the characters, all of
Tammy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
It's funny, hilarious and action packed ... a la K.F. Breene style.
Can't wait for the next book!
Skylar Godwin
This was silly, but I liked it.

Still, I must say, Vampire-swamp-monsters was a truly bold, but very bad move. Don't get me wrong, I respect it, but it is bad.
Tales Of A Bookbug
Woah!I didn't think I could love K.F.Breene anymore than I already do, but this book has me falling for her writing all over again!
The Warrior Chronicles is among one of the top fantasy series that I love, and I was so sad when it ended!But I think this new series more than makes up for it!
Reagan is different from Shanti, but she is still kickass,snarky and awesome!That's my favorite part about K.F.Breene's heroines.They never disappoint me!
Reagan is a bounty hunter, but it doesn't bring in a lo
Jacqueline's Reads
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books, ku, pnr, funny
4.5 Stars

Wow I’m shocked and surprised. I’ve had this book on my kindle FOREVER. I’ll be honest, nothing made me scream to read it. I have read a K.F. Breene book before and although it was good, it wasn’t anything special. Ya know?

Born in Fire was a pretty good book written by an independent author. It felt and read like a traditionally published read and that says a lot because paranormal books are funky to create.

The thing that worked so well for me was the world building and the light-tone p
Trisha
Feb 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Breene and her 12 cohorts think it's amusing to bash, bully and make a mockery of authors in their Elitist FB group... I am no author but I will not buy work by these authors

"Jana DeLeon
Admin · 19 hrs

PSA: As we get closer to release, it seems more people have trouble reading, especially the rules of the group. I find this particularly amusing since the worst offenders are SUPPOSED to be authors.

So let me be really, really clear: You cannot promo your books in here. Ever. Not today. Not tomorrow
Umaiya ❄️Ramblings of a Scattered Mind❄️
I was this (holds up index finger and thumb millimetres apart) close to dropping this. In the beginning, I was so bored, it all read so dry and I actually did go and check the reviews again to make sure I was in fact reading the right book.

Long story short I still kept at it because if you can't trust your friends then who can you trust? And it got better so I'm glad I continued.

I still don't really feel the chemistry between Darius and Reagan. But our h is a snarky, sarcastic badass and she g
Rhea_Sways
Definitely interesting book as many of the books by this author tends to be. Plot-driven, mystery, unique world-building, character-development, various supernatural characters and intense action sequences. A little light on the romance I suppose, otherwise good time pass books. I like a book with some more interaction from me as a reader - personal preference I suppose.

Don't knock it till you try it!

• Midlife Ghost Hunter (Forty Proof, #4)
  • Midlife Demon Hunter (Forty Proof, #3)
  • Midlife Fairy Hunter (Forty Proof, #2)
  • Midlife Bounty Hunter (Forty Proof, #1)
  • Once Bitten (Shadow Guild: The Rebel #1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Wicked Deal (Shadow Guild: The Rebel, #2)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Vampire Debt (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #2)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • Blood Trial (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #1)
  • Death Game (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #3)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Dark Secrets (Shadow Guild: The Rebel #3)
  • Brimstone Bound (Firebrand, #1)
  • Fury of a Phoenix (Nix, #1)
  • Rejected (Shadow Beast Shifters, #1)

K.F. Breene is a Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Washington Post, Amazon Most Sold Charts and #1 Kindle Store bestselling author of paranormal romance, urban fantasy and fantasy novels. With over three million books sold, when she's not penning stories about magic and what goes bump in the night, she's sipping wine and planning shenanigans. She lives in Northern California with her hus

Fire and Ice Trilogy (3 books)
  • Raised in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #2)
  • Fused in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #3)

News & Interviews

“Who said anything about marriage? Good Lord, no. Do yourself a favor: don’t move in with him. Then he’ll be expecting you to cook and clean—no. Just take him for a spin and return him if he breaks. That’s the best bet.” 7 likes
“Who has two thumbs and brought a gun to a magic fight? This girl!” 5 likes