Start by marking “Born in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Born in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #1)

Born in Fire

(Fire and Ice Trilogy #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  16,946 ratings  ·  1,001 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ASIN B06VXR25KZ.

Heart pounding and laugh out loud funny, USA Today Bestselling author K.F. Breene will take you on a magical joy ride you won't soon forget.

Supernatural Bounty Hunter isn't the sort of thing you see on LinkedIn. But with a rare type of magic like mine, I don't have many options.

So dangerous or not, the job is mine. And it was
Published February 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Born in Fire, please sign up.
K.F. Breene It is not a romance novel, which means there is no HEA at the end of the book. There is a sub-plot of romance that will go the length of the trilogy.…moreIt is not a romance novel, which means there is no HEA at the end of the book. There is a sub-plot of romance that will go the length of the trilogy. So "a while" is up to your interpretation. :)(less)
Crystal There's a few scenes that get 'hot', but no sex.

·  16,946 ratings  ·  1,001 reviews

Start your review of Born in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #1)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at: who the fish knows? Reading 50% of this book (aka a whooping 135 pages) felt like reading Ulysses twice. From back to front and upside down. You think I bothered checking the percentage after that?

Some reviewers People of Utterly Despicable Book Taste of Doom (PoUDBToD) say this series reminds them of Kate Bloody Shrimping Daniels (KBSD). Note to self: stay calm, Sarah. Stay calm. The murderous crustaceans are exhausted after their latest launch, and need to rest. Please try and refrain
Lučka

I love K.F. Breene, but I didn't like this book. I will not even rate it, I feel too blah and meh at this point.

Incoherent rant alert!

The romance factor was really weird IMO.

The vampire-Darius kisses the h-Reagan, they dry-humped, then he invites her over his house. After dinner h asks another vampire where Darius is. The answer: He's feeding and having sex with OW.
description

This didn't fly with me well. Darius will clearly become her love interest in the upcoming books, he's very protective of her and
T00zday
So tempted to give this five stars. Just finished it and I'm itching to read it again. This clinches it, Breene is top 5 favorite author.
I need go read the rest of her books.
She writes SUCH great strong female leads!

So So SO recommended!

5.4.17 - Update: I keep re-reading this book in hopes that the second one will be released soon. Should be coming out this week or next.
Marisa Valle
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supes, urban-fantasy
So much better than I anticipated. The writing was good and the characters were interesting and appealing. Reagan is a great lead character because she's snarky but smart, cautious but brave, and she acknowledges her attraction to Darius but has enough self-control to stop herself from making mistakes. I actually love the dynamic between Darius and Reagan. I find that the best relationships in books start out this way. I will be anxiously awaiting the sequels and will be checking out the ...more
Kira
I felt like this book tried to be more than it was. It had a little of all the classic UF stuff i.e. snarky heroine, heroine with special powers, unexpected sidekicks, hidden background. None of it melded into anything unique.

Reagan had too much attitude. It was practically impossible for her to be serious no matter how dire the consequences. Sometimes it worked to her advantage because her behavior surprised others. Other times she seemed immature. Maybe it was just me but for about the first
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

I have a love-hate relationship with this novel. I've read this author's novels in the past and have adjusted, somewhat, to her writing style. Heck, I've even truly enjoyed a few of her books in the past, but something about how this was written just didn't mesh well with me.

There were more than a handful of scenes where the heroine has walked to a certain spot in a house for example, after some dialogue or inner monologue she randomly mentions how the driver is weird. How
Ian
A good book is made great by characters I can't help but love and snarky banter.
Katrina
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5*

Entertaining read in Kate Daniels style ( sward - wielding snarky heroine with daddy issue, except Illona Andrews does it better - bow to the Master). Nerveless, I liked the characters, the writing and story line were good so it is on "Next book, please" list.
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 4.5 Stars *****

At first I thought the beginning was rocky, the world building was a bit rough, and the main character was overly sarcastic... but by the time I finished the book I WAS IN LOVE.

I got sucked into Reagan's world as a bounty hunter and was glued to her story. The fantasy was so entertaining! I couldn't put this down. And the vampires.... yummy yummy yummy. I wish the romance was a bit stronger here, but the slow burn just left me craving for MORE.

description description description description description

Hollie
I was in the mood for a good paranormal romance and saw what amazing reviews this series had so I decided to give it a try. It was just ok for me. I did like the heroine and the fast moving plot, but the lack of closure upon completion and the non-existent romance didn't work for me. I may still give book 2 a try at a later date.
Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog)
5 holy tater tit stars!~

I LOVED THIS! Seriously, Miss Breene herself claims it is not a romance, however happily I would like to disagree! We can agree to disagree! The tension between Reagan and Darius makes me downright smitten!

description

Reagan is hilarious! Her internal dialogue had me grinning ear to ear throughout the entire book! The fact that she is a bad ass heroin who can pretty much take care of herself (and others in the male variety) has giddy! Bravo! On to book 2~
Bethyboo ღ The Book Addict ღ
The similarities between this and the Kate Daniels isn't hard to miss. Usually i don't mind it, especially if i liked the first one, but this time it didn't do it for me. I couldn't really relate to any of the characters and i really didn't understand the thing between Darius and Reagan. Probably because I didn't like Darius.
Marguerite (M)
Mar 21, 2018 marked it as lost-interest
Clean that TBR already!
Shelved sometime in 2017 i believe
and i'm soooo behind schedule.
Jeanny
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining read. I thought the h & Darius interactions hilarious. Will read the next book in this series.
Rhea_Sways
Definitely interesting book as many of the books by this author tends to be. Plot-driven, mystery, unique world-building, character-development, various supernatural characters and intense action sequences. A little light on the romance I suppose, otherwise good time pass books. I like a book with some more interaction from me as a reader - personal preference I suppose.

Don't knock it till you try it!
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Considering I have a love/hate relationship with this author I was expecting this to be bad. Luckily it wasn't. I did get to meet the nitwit, Penny. That wasn't fun, almost soured the entire book.

The plot reminds me of Kate Daniels, I like it at this point but that might change if it gets too much. The books are on KU so I'm definitely going to be checking them out.
Tales Of A Bookbug
Woah!I didn't think I could love K.F.Breene anymore than I already do, but this book has me falling for her writing all over again!
The Warrior Chronicles is among one of the top fantasy series that I love, and I was so sad when it ended!But I think this new series more than makes up for it!
Reagan is different from Shanti, but she is still kickass,snarky and awesome!That's my favorite part about K.F.Breene's heroines.They never disappoint me!
Reagan is a bounty hunter, but it doesn't bring in a
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I loved this book enough to read the trilogy over less than a 2 day span the first time, and re-read it already before the year is out.

Reagan is fun. She's independent, she's fierce, she's funny, she's resistant, she's harboring major hiding secrets for good cause. Darius and her are like oil and water - not a mix, he's infuriating at first but their relationship is funny, then steamy, then funny again, then intriguing. I love the pair, especially now that I've completed their trilogy.

The
*Flora*
An Urban Fantasy Story That Held Me Gripped And Wouldn't Let Go!

I am already a fan of Ms Breene's writing style and love the complexities of her characters, the pace her plots are set and the way I am kept guessing where and what will happen next. Born in Fire didn't disappoint!

I downloaded the narration by Nicole Poole and was blown away by her performance; the way she read the narrative, the tonal variations she used during the different scenes and the voices she gave the characters. Perfect.

I
Kate McMurry
I listened to the audio book. The narrator is quite decent. I much prefer urban fantasy like this to sword-and-sorcery type fantasy set in an eternal, pseudo-European Middle Ages. Though the very strong, very competent, and very magical heroine does have a sword! Ha.
Treena
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm loving the snarky heroine and I'm intrigued enough to continue with book 2.
Bunnycore
My full review here

Good morning everyone! and happy actual Humpday. Oddly I had
all my days mixed up, so I thought yesterday was Wednesday I'm pretty sure
people thought I lost my mind. I probably did for a little bit. Let's begin,
shall we?

Thenia
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The introduction to Reagan Somerset's world and its various creatures that she encounters in her everyday job as a supernatural bounty hunter.

Reagan's job does not give her a steady paycheck and when her latest mark is stolen by vampires, she is getting desperate for another one. That's what pushes her to accept the vampires' offer for a job that she would have otherwise refused, especially since it involves partnering with Darius, the vampire who stole her mark, for the duration. Darius is
Bj
4 "Fire Magical World" Stars for the story and 4.5 Stars for the narration. Review coming soon to AudioGals.
Aimee
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
It has been a long time since I have found a book on kindle unlimited that wasn't "meh". This was a very solid novel that had me glued to my seat. I almost didn't take a chance on it, but I'm very glad I did.

There are heroines out there that I feel are trying to hard to be like another book's. Trying to cash in on another series feel. Maybe that was one of my problems when I was considering this. How can this book be unique enough to be of interest? Well, turned out it could and did turn out to
Jackie Sigerson
This was a much better read than previous Kf Breene books I’ve picked up. It sort of had an Ilona Andrews’ Hidden Legacy feel to it. I’ll definitely keep going with this series, but I will admit there were some times where the story definitely dragged. Hopefully the rest of the series has a little more action.
Amy
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Good writing? check
Good plot? check
Badass heroine with hilarious sarcastic dialogue? double check
Non instalove? check and check
What more could you ask for? .... a second book obviously
Tammy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
It's funny, hilarious and action packed ... a la K.F. Breene style.
Can't wait for the next book!
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Recommended by Facebook through some odd algorithm, I picked up this book because it looked interesting. This is going to be a mixed reviewed. The first few chapters, it was very close to a DNF for me. Why? Because the dialogue was grating on my nerves and the first person inner dialogue was too campy/corny for me to stomach. Based on dialogue alone, this would have been a 1 star.

Some authors excel at creating characters. Ms. Breene is not one of those. At least from a first impression, the

• Trial by Fae
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Heir of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #2)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • The Lost and the Chosen (The Lost Sentinel, #1)
  • Queen of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #3)
  • Awakened And Betrayed (The Lost Sentinel, #2)
  • The Marked and the Broken (The Lost Sentinel, #3)
  • Emperor's Throne (Desert Cursed #6)
  • Wyvern's Lair (Desert Cursed #5)
  • Demon Slayer (Dragon's Gift: The Sorceress #1)
  • The Hidden (Shadowed Wings, #1)
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • Spirit of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #4)
  • Dragon Blood (Dragon's Gift: The Sorceress #2)
  • Demon Curse (Dragon's Gift: The Sorceress #3)
  • Rise of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #5)
K.F. Breene is a Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Washington Post, Amazon Most Sold Charts and #1 Kindle Store bestselling author of paranormal romance, urban fantasy and fantasy novels. With over three million books sold, when she's not penning stories about magic and what goes bump in the night, she's sipping wine and planning shenanigans. She lives in Northern California with her husband, two ...more

Fire and Ice Trilogy (3 books)
  • Raised in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #2)
  • Fused in Fire (Fire and Ice Trilogy, #3)
“Who said anything about marriage? Good Lord, no. Do yourself a favor: don’t move in with him. Then he’ll be expecting you to cook and clean—no. Just take him for a spin and return him if he breaks. That’s the best bet.” 5 likes
“Who has two thumbs and brought a gun to a magic fight? This girl!” 4 likes