Start by marking “Verdriet is het ding met veren” as Want to Read:
Verdriet is het ding met veren

Verdriet is het ding met veren

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  16,032 ratings  ·  2,503 reviews
Twee jongens in Londen worden geconfronteerd met een ondraaglijk verdriet als plotseling hun moeder sterft. De vader, biograaf van de dichter Ted Hughes, voorziet een toekomst met goedbedoelende bezoekers en een grote leegte.
Op dit moment van tegenspoed wordt de familie bezocht door Kraai – tegenspeler, bedrieger, genezer, babysitter. Deze teergevoelige vogel voelt zich aa
126 pages
Published March 2016 by De Bezige Bij (first published August 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Verdriet is het ding met veren, please sign up.
India Nunan Have you read any of his poetry? In relation to this book I would definitely recommend 'Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow', which Hughes wrote…moreHave you read any of his poetry? In relation to this book I would definitely recommend 'Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow', which Hughes wrote after Plath died. The content is great but also in relation to Grief is The Thing With Feathers it would give it a whole new level of meaning :) x(less)

Ilse
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2016, uk
You Cannot Prevent the Birds of Sorrow from Flying over Your Head, but You Can Prevent Them from Building a Nest in Your Hair
– Chinese Proverb

girl-853993_640

I picked this up because the title struck me like a poem in itself, sounding like an titillating modulation on that wonderful poem Hope is the thing with feathers by Emily Dickinson (view spoiler)
Trish
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a book about two boys and their father dealing with their mother's death.
It's a very unusual book.
Unusual because their "grief counsellor" is a crow. Yes, a black bird.
Unusual because only at the end do we truly know what happened to the mother.
Unusual because, in truth, it doesn't matter HOW the mother died, but what happens to those left behind.
Unusual for its language which
Ariel
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book about grief that will make you sad but also not sad and will have beautiful lines and also some confusing passages but overall you'll leave it feeling like it was definitely worth your time because your soul feels a little bit different go on and pick this one up.

PorshaJo
I read in another review 'Do we find books or do they find us?' I think it happens both ways. And this book found me. Perhaps a bit too personal here....but a recent family tragedy was just devastating to me. I tried to read to keep my mind occupied, but nothing could grab my attention. I felt horrible like I was just moving on so quickly trying to do something trivial such as read books. But I knew I had to continue on. To be honest, I really do not know how this book ended up in my hands. It w ...more
Peter Boyle
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is no ordinary book. It's part short story, part myth, part poetry, partly narrated by a massive metafictional crow. It's unlike anything I've ever read and it's absolutely wonderful.

We are plunged into the aftermath of a woman's tragic death. Her husband (a Ted Hughes scholar) and two young sons struggle to cope with the devastating loss. The father turns into a "machine-like architect of routines for small children with no Mum." Into their house comes Crow, a figure from the poetry of Hug
Elyse Walters
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Library - overdrive - ebook

I’ll start with the ending ‘first’... it’s sooo beautiful- I doubt any reader could read the last page just once.

I took the ‘WISE’ suggestion from another reviewer...a little ‘late’. Had I read their review- I would have learned of his/ or her recommendation.... which is: “before” reading this small book - ( around 100 book pages) - google
“Ted Hughes, and Sylvia Platte and The Crow” on wikipedia.

The ‘same’ reviewer - written in 2016 - posted on Amazon by ( her), *N
Dannii Elle
For fans of dark and atmospheric speculative fiction and those with a love of the macabre. This offers the literary trope of the image of the crow as a symbol of life with grief. Lyrical, tragicomic, bizarre and bewildering, this is beauty and pain in the written form.

Read all of my thoughts and my full review here
Rebecca
(Nearly 4.5) It may seem perverse to twist Emily Dickinson’s words about hope into a reflection on bereavement, but Porter’s exceptional debut does just that: tweak poetic forebears – chiefly Poe’s “The Raven” and Ted Hughes’s Crow – to create a hybrid response to loss. The novel is composed of three first-person voices: Dad, Boys and Crow (the soul of the book: witty, onomatopoeic, often macabre). Dad and his two young sons are adrift in mourning; the boys’ mum died after an unspecified acciden ...more
Sam Quixote
A Ted Hughes scholar and his two young boys grieve over the death of their wife/mother. Enter some magical realism! A Crow appears and hangs out with the sad family as they deal with their loss.

I hate the cover design of the paperback edition. Anything that’s plastered with blurbs like this one is just obnoxious. Do I need to see that many superlatives to pick up a book? No. I never read them anyway but that doesn’t stop this one from including three pages of blurbs besides the crap on the cove
Kyriaki
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-one-book
Μια Μαμά πεθαίνει και αφήνει πίσω της έναν Μπαμπά και δύο μικρά αγόρια. Λίγες μέρες μετά το θάνατό της κάνει την εμφάνισή του ένα κοράκι δηλώνοντας πως ήρθε για να μείνει για όσο χρειαστεί. Ένα κείμενο πιο πολύ ποιητικό, παρά πεζό, λίγο συμβολικό, που πλησιάζει σχεδόν τον μαγικό ρεαλισμό.
Έχουμε τρεις εναλλασσόμενες φωνές. Μια ενιαία φωνή των αγοριών, που τη μια είναι και οι δύο μαζί ή μια ο ένας και μια ο άλλος, χωρίς όμως ποτέ να ξεχωρίζουμε ποιος είναι ποιος, η φωνή του πατέρα, δυστυχισμένη,
Emer
Words are refusing to come to me. But the tears are flowing. This was unlike anything I've ever read and my heart is bursting. This was dark, sad, funny, light, hopeful, desolate...
Part novel, part verse...
And every part of it was beautiful.
Every emotion stripped back and true.

It is the story of a father and his sons after the death of their mother. And how a crow comes to live with them. How this symbolises their unending grief; and its manifestation and infection of all their lives.

"Gri
Hugh
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moving and tragicomic prose poem which centres on a grieving father and his two young sons as they cope with the sudden death of a wife and mother with the "help" of Ted Hughes's Crow. A deeply original work which deserves the hype - I am no expert on Hughes, and I felt that greater familiarity would have made it even more resonant.
Britta Böhler
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, fiction, fivestars
This book is a wonderful reading experience, one of a kind. It's presented as a novella, but for me it was more like a collection of poems. The language is inventive and brutal and beautiful. It's not an easy read (especially if English is not your mother-tongue), even though it is very short, and you should definitely take your time to digest this book.
And: the 'Dad' in the book is a Ted-Hughes-scholar, i.e. it helps for your understanding of the book if you also read Crow, a collection of poe
Shawn
May 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Largely incomprehensible rubbish. A story of a father and two sons grieving and coming to terms with the death of their mother. The reason we know that...? Because the synopsis tells us that's what this "novel" is about. If it hadn't, and we were just to read this nonsensical crap, we would be utterly clueless as to the point. Primarily, because there is no point.
This is one of those books where the author chose a topic least likely to garner criticism (who's going to pan a story about young ki
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I'm putting this on my poetry shelf even though it isn't really poetry, but the way it is written feels like prose poetry.. sometimes.

This is fiction and so many of the grief books I have been reading lately are non-fiction, so in some ways it doesn't feel as "true." Partly because it is imagined in the way fiction always is, but also in the way that the father in the story is writing from the perspective of an imaginary crow, because it connects to Ted Hughes and he is a Ted Hughes scholar, and
Paul
This is a brave and quite original angle on grief, which is so much a part of the human condition, something we all experience. The plot is very simple, a mother of two young boys dies very suddenly and this is a poetic record of their and their father’s struggle with grief. The father is a Ted Hughes scholar and the surprise package is Crow from the poem by Ted Hughes, who moves into the family home to help with the grief process. Porter has said that part of the impetus for this was the death ...more
Anna
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, poetry
Here is a case study in not appreciating a book: I was lent this prose poem about grief, which I most definitely would not have chosen off my own bat, and challenged by the lender to read it in less than 45 minutes. I timed myself and it took me 27 minutes. I am a compulsive speed-reader, something that really isn’t conducive to the enjoyment of poetry, even poetry that I actually like. And this I did not like, unfortunately. The self-referential style did not charm me and the use of language fa ...more
Judy

Nearly everyone alive has lost someone dear to them. Not everyone can write well about it but Max Porter has done it in breathtaking fashion.

A man has lost his wife suddenly, unexpectedly due to an accident. His two young sons have lost their mother.

Three voices reach out to us:

The boys as a sort of braided, combined consciousness, with the young boys-eye-view of the events, the emotions, the weird adjustment to a life run only by dad and a home without a mom.

The dad, figuring it out day by day,
Shannon
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, favorites
Part novel, part poem, Grief Is the Thing with Feathers cycles quickly through the perspectives of “Dad”, “Boys”, and “Crow”, a physical manifestation of a family’s grief who enters by declaring, “I won’t leave until you don’t need me any more”. Crow’s pecking prose serves as an overhead view of a father and his two sons following the sudden death of their wife and mother.

“The house becomes a physical encyclopedia of no-longer hers, which shocks and shocks and is the principal difference between
Julie Ehlers
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never read Ted Hughes’s Crow, and I definitely think reading that poetry collection ahead of, or in tandem with, Grief Is the Thing with Feathers would have made for a more enriching experience. Even so, this was a vivid, poetic novel about the loss of a loved one. I was moved by its wisdom and awed by its originality, and I even laughed occasionally despite how sad it was. I can see myself reading this again at some point—for such a short book, there’s a lot going on.
Lark Benobi
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I liked the character of Crow. There were amazing flashes of goodness throughout, and flashes of "that is what it must be like" too. As an extended meditation on grief though I didn't buy it--it felt clever, instead of deep, and sometimes it edged toward sentimental. Pretty, but it's pretend. Mourning is not this way.
Xenia Germeni
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Μια παρτιδα σκακι αναμεσα σε ενα κορακι εναν μπαμπα χηρο και τα παιδια...Ο φοβος μπροστα στο θανατο, η απωλεια και η θλιψη που συντροφευει εκεινους που παραμενουν πισω. Ενα κειμενο που μοιαζει με μονολογο πονος και ανθρωπινο δραμα και χιουμορ ολα μπλεκονται γλυκα και ερχονται να σε ξαφνιασουν. ΥΓ Αν εισαι οπαδος των κειμενων σχετικα με την απωλεια, θα σου φανει πολυ διαφορετικο τουτο εδω. Μην τρομαξεις! Η απωλεια ειναι διαφορετικη για αλλους, αλλα το αισθημα ειναι σχεδον το ιδιο για αλλους.
Sofia Teixeira
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An year ago I lost my best friend. The feeling was impossible to describe and until now nothing I had read made much sense to me. But then, I read this:

"Moving on, as a concept, is for stupid people, because any sensible person knows grief is a long-term project. "

In the day after this "anniversary", I was in France and I went to Shakespeare and Company and the first book I notice was this. I took it, I turned some pages, I put it down, but in the end I brought it with me. I read it in the aer
Rebecca McNutt
This grim little poetry book starts off as being really eerie, but it soon builds up into a profound story of how grief can hold onto people after the loss of a loved one, and of a dysfunctional family, falling apart at the seams and milling about with no direction. Will the characters simply "move on" from their bereavement, or will they try to really cope with it? Grief Is the Thing With Feathers is a superb and beautiful story, a legend-like ballad that anyone who has ever lost somebody shoul ...more
Sumaiyya
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Absolutely poetic and written with so much heart. Stop everything and pick up this book!
Warda
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Once upon a time there was a demon who fed on grief. The delicious aroma of raw shock and unexpected loss came wafting from the doors and windows of a widower's sad home. Therefore the demon set about finding his way in.”

[Actual rating: 4.5]

It took a bit to get used to the writing style as it's quite experimental, but once I did, I wanted to savour it and not put this book down. It's an amazing and hopeful message about coming to terms with loss and the process of grief and what one turns to i
Jo (That book-hoarding geek)
I was initially torn between two and three stars for this book, but with much consideration, I've settled on two. I possibly may need to reread this book, at some point, but at the moment, this book was just "Okay" for me.
The first part of the book seemed pretty jumbled, and rather confusing, but as I ventured through the book, I got used to the style of the author's writing.

Since this book is based on the emotional subject of death, I do think this was done well. I liked the way the book is wri
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I had to read this book for a class at Uni!

I enjoyed the multiple perspectives of the Dad, his young sons and the Crow. Having various viewpoints gained more of an insight to their struggles of grief and coming to terms with a severe loss of a wife, mother and friend. The chapters are short and choppy, but did get the message across about how grief affects those around us. Some of the Crow's chapters did start to feel a little repetitive, using a number of lists to try and make the setting more
Paul O'Neill
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific read, bursting full with feelings

A Grief is the Thing with Feathers is the moving story of a widowed father and his sons after they lose their mother. It deals mostly with the huge amounts of grief that would follow such a situation but also has room for plenty of comic relief as well.

The family is visited by Crow, who takes on the role of caretaker and stays with them until the family are ready to ‘move on’, although the book does make the point of saying that ‘moving on’ doesn’t re
Maria Hill AKA MH Books
This is a very short book written in a prose poetry style about a Mum who dies and leaves Dad and two Boys behind. Dad is writing about the Ted Hughes poetry collection Crow and interestingly enough the infamous Crow comes to visit the Dad and two boys to help them grieve.

There are some lovely stories and insights here. I loved the Dad’s young adventures in Oxford to met his hero Ted Hughes, the glimpses of the fun and competent Mum, the boys antics, cruelties and games.

There are three narrator
Play Book Tag: Grief is the Thing with Feathers 2 20 Sep 08, 2017 01:27PM
CdC - Gruppo di l...: Libro #11 - Il dolore è una cosa con le piume 7 24 Apr 30, 2017 10:00PM
Tournament of Books: This topic has been closed to new comments. Grief is the Thing with Feathers 25 142 Mar 07, 2017 03:34AM
Book Club 24th February, Colcheter 1 23 Feb 07, 2016 12:40PM
  • Hold Your Own
  • The Dumb House
  • Don't Try This at Home
  • The Book Collector
  • The Exhibit
  • A Portable Shelter
  • Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow (Faber Library)
  • The Overhaul: Poems
  • Why God Is a Woman
  • Sweet Home
  • Bats Out of Hell
  • The Various Lives of Keats and Chapman: Including The Brother
Max Porter works in publishing. He lives in South London with his wife and children.
“Moving on, as a concept, is for stupid people, because any sensible person knows grief is a long-term project. I refuse to rush. The pain that is thrust upon us let no man slow or speed or fix.” 129 likes
“I remember being scared that something must, surely, go wrong, if we were this happy, her and me, in the early days, when our love was settling into the shape of our lives like cake mixture reaching the corners of the tin as it swells and bakes.” 32 likes