Start by marking “The Prince of Milk” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Milk

The Prince of Milk

All of time is simultaneous. Matter tends towards perfection. Cats can be dicks sometimes. The Prince of Milk is a leisurely stroll from prehistory to the distant future, stopping for tea in the 21st century English countryside.

Before the time machine, before the undead mannequins, before the cat with the universe eye, there were the arbiters. They regulated the world
Published February 16th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Prince of Milk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince of Milk

Start your review of The Prince of Milk
Jamie Hart
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book about having an existential crisis in a small English countryside town while simultaneously having an existential crisis in a small English countryside town.

10/10 would visit the Etheria again.
Цветозар Бонев
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
First off, yes, I am biased and although I love the work this author does on YouTube it's really been a while since a book has required a bit of intellectual effort from my side, which is a nice breath of fresh air. But as I said this whole review might be a falsehood brought upon by my extreme bias towards everything that Exurb1a does.

I've been spending a ludicrous amount of money on books lately and I should probably stop. Thing is, Exurb1a is a YouTuber whose work I truly enjoy and I
Ino
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoyed every minute of this! It’s weird ,intellectual ,scary and funny. I don’t know how authors pull off such stories but I’m grateful it works. I’d love to give some sort of criticism but I just can’t,even the lumpy bits are all part of scenery. The villains are all over the top but I liked it. I give up. I do hope that Schrödinger’s cat find his way home. I just might reread this. A solid 5 stars.
Fiona
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
"You throw a little chaos into quantum mechanics and suddenly they're giving you official titles."
"Chaos into quantum mechanics? Doesn't that make you Schrödinger's ca-"
"Don't." the boy growls. "Just don't."

First off. I'm biased. I love and live for the exurb1a YouTube channel. Honestly if I didn't already love the author this book would be getting a lower rating from me, but this guy deserves more attention hence the four star rating.

What can I say about the writing? It's fantastic.
Stephen Chyau
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
BEWARE OF READING THIS BOOK.
It amplifies any hint of existential dread you may already have. Just to be safe, keep a copy of Viktor Frankl's Man Search For Meaning by your side at all times.

If you're coming from his YouTube channel, this book is a change of scene from his usual content. There is way less witty humor (though, not nonexistent) and way less British Accent (though surprisingly, not nonexisitent). That said, you can expect the usual themes eg: nihilism, futurism, and a thick load of
Prejudice Neutrino
I know most will disagree, but I firmly believe Exurbia is the one of the best science fiction writers. Top notch read. The cunt can write.
فرح الورداني
"Happy people are just people you aren't acquainted enough with yet to know how miserable they really are."
Colin Bishop
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most amazing things I have ever read. A total mind trip. But also incredible food for thought. I’ll need to read it at least another time or two to really process it all.
Ryan
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Mindstate of a budding author

A fascinating book, fill of ideas only someone with an enlightened mindstate such as Exurb1a could come up with. While certainly not laid out like a traditional novel, nor is it intended to be so, it still ends up being fascinating if read with an open mind. The main issue I found is that the beginning of the book, mainly the first 20%ish, is so fractured and discontinuous that it was hard to get into. However, from there onwards, this issue fades in severity,
Eden Bailey
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Exurbia’s grasp of speculative sci-fi is really incredible and he can weave philosophy into his story in an astounding way. His grasp on storytelling, however, isn’t fully cooked yet. There are times, especially at the end, when there are some genuinely touching character moments. But they don’t have the proper context or build up to give them the impact that a really skilled writer would have given them. I’m looking forward to what he does once he’s had more experience.
Mohammed Ghoul
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If a story was to be tailor made for me this would be it. Sci-fi with deep scientific principles with a tone of philosophy from the existential and the nihilistic to looking for purpose and meaning.
I absolutely adore this book, while the story could've been better I admit, but the seamless adaptation of complex topics into the narrative without it feeling forced and the amazing themes makes this book easily one of my favorites.
Derek
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of ideas, and the townspeople were well realized and interesting to follow. The titular prince of milk was mostly just an incompetent ass, which I suppose was the point of him. We never got much of a sense for Zorya, as we didn't spend a lot of time with her, which is a shame as much of the story revolved around her. The writing was good. It was playful and sharp, like a dolphin who's a bit bitey.
Serge
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I watch every video of Exurb1a I must admit I wasn't expecting much from this book. But surprisingly enough it's actually pretty decent.

Good story and not a straightforward one. Interesting characters dialogs and concepts. It gets slower halfway but still good.

I guess I can recommend it to those not familiar with Exurb1a.
Geoff Bromilow
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a brilliant little foray into ideas a bit above my pay grade but feels oddly like the point of it all, bringing it back to the characters. It may have had a bit of a slow first act but all together just brilliant
Kyle
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It will take me a millennia to fully understand the powers of this story

An amazing Sci-fi story laced with tantirc amounts of physics and soul.

An addictive read with the force of gravity pulling to thw very end.
Non
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[5 stars, 10 stars, ten to the ninety one stars]
beautifully strange. can't recommend this more. its one big acid trip but it's a good one. worth my money. buy it. will buy the other books if it comes out in paperback.
Ralf
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Some parts are very clever... others seem a bit forced. A bit more of editing could have made this novel a whole lot better, but it's been an enjoyable read nonetheless.
Kynan
The Prince of Milk is absurdist fiction, but with the intention of being, if not educational, at least enlightening. The enlightenment is strongly bolstered by the hellishly spoiler-filled "Glossary and Further Reading". To be clear, the spoilers are for other books such as "The Time Traveller's Wife"and "Contact" and not for the Prince of Milk.

The Prince of Milk, apart from being the best off-the-cuff pejorative that Ive read in a long time, is the tale of the small English town of Wilthail,
Olivia Köglbauer
The story was an extended LSD trip.

I've never been a big fan of science fiction so this required forcing myself to begin reading and I'm really glad I did. It might've changed my attitude to science fiction in general.
I do have some criticisms about the book which I have to mention - the names. Having more than one name for every character made it at times very difficult to follow and I felt like I had to write down exactly who is what. Another criticism I have is the relationship between the
Zack White
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was amazing. He keeps you engaged with characters with motivations to keep them human while at the same time creating a crazy fictional world. I laughed multiple times with how ridiculous some of the paragraphs can be and backstory's of the characters were. It starts off slow at first but soon you'll get into it and will love it.
Gabi Ghita
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A clever and addictive story

A very witty and enjoyable book that you will have a hard time putting down once you've started it. The story is pretty linear, but I can't say I've found it predictible along the way. A great little gem from exurb1a.
Rat
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: transgressive

Taking into account Exurb1a's YouTube content it was impossible for this novel to be bad, with his creativity and unique plot development The Prince of Milk delivers a solid, exciting, thought provoking read.

Shaun Hudson
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Reminded me a but if hitchhikers guide but with a more adult tone to it.

Read this straight after the Bridge to Lucy Dunne and it's like the realisation of all those little short stories come together.
Pedro
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Confusing at first but slowly you start getting it, I recommend writing a character sheet as there are way to many. Love the short chapters as it is supper easy to just say one more chapter and motivate my slow reading skills. Overall good book.
simon Novak
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

This book is amazing. Like all of exurbia's other books, I couldn't put it down. The story was formatted in a very interesting way that made the book seem interesting all the way through.
Cathy Rechs
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book

Exurb1a's books are very clever and he explores many wild and fascinating ideas. If you enjoy this book, I would recommend his others, and also that you check out his YouTube for similar content.
Mat
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bewildering yes compelling

A very strange book! Telling a story as incomprehensible as it is relatable, a whirlwind ride through the essence life itself, meaning is here if you care to find it.
Joe Feocco
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of Exurb1a on YouTube you'll love this book. I thought the concept was very unique. I loved the characters, dark situations they were thrown into, and philosophical dialogue they had.
Sochivone Sean
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were a lot of sci-fi elements and science references that might be confusing to many. However, understand those references or not, I would still recommend the book. Well, it took a while for me to finish the book, it was a great read.
Fergus
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant

• The Forest & Pale Green Dot: Book One & Two of The Forest Series
  • 3zekiel
  • Permutation City (Subjective Cosmology #2)
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • Axiomatic
  • Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down
  • Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home
  • The Atlantropa Articles: A Novel
  • Museum of Thieves (The Keepers, #1)
  • Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Assassin's Creed, #4)
  • This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
  • A Guide to Japanese Grammar
  • The Forest
  • Diaspora
  • Herr Sonneborn geht nach Brüssel - Abenteuer im Europaparlament
  • For He Can Creep
  • 43 Mistakes Businesses Make... And How to Avoid Them
  • How To Be Smart With Your Money
“There's no grand plan and no one's in charge. It's all just fumbling about in the dark, and half the time you're not even sure why you're fumbling. You're so desperate for something to pin your peace of mind to that you'll do all sorts of stupid things in its name. You don't mean to break up a marriage, but if breaking it up might let you sleep like a normal person again, suddenly you start considering it. You don't mean to become a drunk, but if drink is the only way you can keep a handle on some tiny compartment of your life then it's straight for the bottle.” 12 likes
“There is evil in the world, yet God claims he loves us. If he could remove that evil but chooses not to, then he is not all-loving as we're told he is. If he wants to remove that evil from the world but cannot, then why do we call him all-powerful? In any case, he's not truly God and there's nothing to be frightened of. Chin up.” “Goodnight” 6 likes