Start by marking “The Old Man at the End of the World: No.1: Note: the apocalypse isn't really going to happen” as Want to Read:

The end is nigh.... and Gerald Stockwell-Poulter has had quite enough of it already. Pesky business altogether. All this hiding and running about. Makes Brexit look like a doddle.

After 87 largely well-behaved years as a model citizen, less than four hours into the ‘zompocalypse’ and he has already killed a neighbour, rescued a moody millennial drug dealer and forged an un
Published February 16th 2017 by GenWhy Publishing

Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amusing, request-rbrt
The Old Man at the End of the World was an amusing novella that captivated me from the first page. The characters are delightful, and the contrast between Ham and Gerry cracked me up more than once. Both of them sound like good fellows to have around, and Gerry's crotchety in that delightful way that old folks can get.

There were a few times where the Britishisms almost lost me, but I was able to muddle along until it got back to stuff I was familiar with.

I think it's a fairly safe bet to say th
Georgia Rose
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ll be honest and say I don’t know much about zombies but thought I’d try this and see what they’re all about. I’m assuming that some other books of this genre are considerably more gory and scary but this one is a different sort of read. There is a bit of zombie like behaviour in it – blood and gore and what have you, but overall it came across as more a humorous telling of a terribly British reaction to the whole situation.

Gerald Stockwell-Poulter is earthing up leeks one minute and being att
Holly Kilmister
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazingly funny

This is an amazingly funny zombie story. It focuses on Gerry, a gentleman in his 80s who love's his allotment. The only problem with this story is that I wasn't ready for it to end!
Teri
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such an entertaining read! Gerald is in no way prepared for the zombie apocalypse, and is even oblivious to the fact that it's happening around him as he works in his garden. The banter between Gerald and his neighbor, Ham, had me laughing out loud more than once as they beat the odds and fumbled their way through several precarious situations.

Being American, I missed some of the British references, but didn't feel it detracted from this well-written novella. This is a humorous take on
Amethyst
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone that knows me know my addiction to zombie books. To the point my kindle is busting with apocalyptic deliciousness.
So I was excited to be kindly offered this zombie read from the author.

I do feel the cover could have been a bit more interesting, but its different, i would imagine an old fashioned wooden side table with glasses pipe etc the a bloody machete. But it doesnt change how good this read is.

The old man at the end of the world is a unique read as it's fun twist on the all action
Krystyna
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A senior Shawn of the Dead - perhaps not

When he got up that morning, all he wanted to do was put his fellow allotment owner's nose out of joint by having the best leeks (the supermarket could provide) on his allotment patch. He certainly didn't expect to come under attack by zombies. Nor did he expect to pick up two extra passengers in his old motor. Watch as they fight for freedom, make it to relative safety only to have the weed smoking one in the trio put all their lives at risk. Will they ge
The Picky Readers
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do love a good zombie book and what's better than a good zombie book? A zombie book with humour :D Gerald, the reluctant octogenarian of the story, along with Hamilton the giant ginger Scot and the hapless weed-puffing Finnbar find themselves in a bit of a pickle when the folk they once knew down at the allotment seemed to have all turned up undead. This short story is full of laughs, facepalms and bad mistakes (on the characters part) where you don't know what you feel sorry for more; the und ...more
natalie harrison
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

I usually don't read books in this genre, but I was looking for something light and humorous, and I found both. The idea of an 87 year old man in the zombie apocalypse is what drew me to the book. I liked all 3 of the main characters...well, the first two, and enjoyed somewhat disliking the third, feeling the same about him as the other characters did. The crusty old man was so cute! I'm definitely going to read the next installment.
rosemary mccay
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable story.

The zombie apocalypse strikes in West Sussex. Well written story, nicely paced, great characterisation, and gently humorous. Looking forward to reading the next instalment.
Lydia Timpson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short and snappy

A fun read recommended to me by my sister. It's nice to have a very different main character and a cantankerous, morally ambiguous old man is perfect. Looking forwards to reading more.
David  Lillico
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zombies for the golden oldies

Very funny, great characters, can't wait to continue Gertys adventures. Very easy to read due to the quick characterisation of the protagonists stumbling through the apocolypse without all the bravado
Jany Bell
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brilliant

I enjoyed it alot, even tho some of the slang/terms went over my head as I'm from the u.s. I still got the humor. Can't wait for the next story.
The Library at Lilac Cottage
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, fiction
It gets old, reading current authors’ works where vulgar language is commonplace. A thesaurus would help greatly in choosing intelligent words. I abandoned this book because of the vulgar language.😖
Marjory Forsyth
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who would have thought zombies were funny?

I laughed out loud - a wonderful antidote to the news and blues. Gerald is my hero a very positive 86 year old.

Jordan Lee
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good, fun short story. Starts off a bit meh but picks up. Not the typical zombie story.
Alan75
Nov 17, 2018
Tamara
Oct 22, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
“outpacing a couple of the less agile zombie stragglers whose combined limbs were no longer divisible by two.” 1 likes
“He swung three more times, beating in the heads of the remaining group, all of them meeting their brief and messy ends by means of a Fiskars spade in the hands of a bellowing ginger Scotsman.” 0 likes