Start by marking “The Old Man at the End of the World: No.1: Note: the apocalypse isn't really going to happen” as Want to Read:

The end is nigh.... and Gerald Stockwell-Poulter has had quite enough of it already. Pesky business altogether. All this hiding and running about. Makes Brexit look like a doddle.

After 87 largely well-behaved years as a model citizen, less than four hours into the ‘zompocalypse’ and he has already killed a neighbour, rescued a moody millennial drug dealer and forged an u
Published February 16th 2017 by GenWhy Publishing

Start your review of The Old Man at the End of the World: No.1: Note: the apocalypse isn't really going to happen
TL
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Gerald Stockwell-Poulter couldn’t help but feel it was extraordinary just how quickly his life had changed. One moment he was earthing up leeks and the next he was rooted to the spot as Rodney Timmins from the end allotment ambled towards him, arms outstretched, blood pouring from a hole in his neck and a look in his eye which suggested that he was less after help and more after a helping of Gerald.

What an incredible thing to happen , thought Gerald, as he watched Mr Timmins stagger through his
Leviathan Libraries
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Old Man at the End of the World was an amusing novella that captivated me from the first page. The characters are delightful, and the contrast between Ham and Gerry cracked me up more than once. Both of them sound like good fellows to have around, and Gerry's crotchety in that delightful way that old folks can get.

There were a few times where the Britishisms almost lost me, but I was able to muddle along until it got back to stuff I was familiar with.

I think it's a fairly safe bet to say th
Georgia Rose
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ll be honest and say I don’t know much about zombies but thought I’d try this and see what they’re all about. I’m assuming that some other books of this genre are considerably more gory and scary but this one is a different sort of read. There is a bit of zombie like behaviour in it – blood and gore and what have you, but overall it came across as more a humorous telling of a terribly British reaction to the whole situation.

Gerald Stockwell-Poulter is earthing up leeks one minute and being att
Holly Kilmister
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazingly funny

This is an amazingly funny zombie story. It focuses on Gerry, a gentleman in his 80s who love's his allotment. The only problem with this story is that I wasn't ready for it to end!
Teri
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such an entertaining read! Gerald is in no way prepared for the zombie apocalypse, and is even oblivious to the fact that it's happening around him as he works in his garden. The banter between Gerald and his neighbor, Ham, had me laughing out loud more than once as they beat the odds and fumbled their way through several precarious situations.

Being American, I missed some of the British references, but didn't feel it detracted from this well-written novella. This is a humorous take on
Amethyst
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone that knows me know my addiction to zombie books. To the point my kindle is busting with apocalyptic deliciousness.
So I was excited to be kindly offered this zombie read from the author.

I do feel the cover could have been a bit more interesting, but its different, i would imagine an old fashioned wooden side table with glasses pipe etc the a bloody machete. But it doesnt change how good this read is.

The old man at the end of the world is a unique read as it's fun twist on the all action
Musings of a Middle-aged Mum
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gerry, an old man, is tending his allotment by planting leeks he had bought from the supermarket when he realizes the Zompocalypse has started.

The Old Man at the End of the World is a short comedy, only 68 pages, so took me only an hour to read this morning, but there are chapters if you don’t have the time to dedicate to a book in one sitting. Whilst it wasn’t laugh-out-loud funny, it was very humorous with bizarre situations and Gerry’s stereotypically English response to being chased by flesh
Krystyna
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A senior Shawn of the Dead - perhaps not

When he got up that morning, all he wanted to do was put his fellow allotment owner's nose out of joint by having the best leeks (the supermarket could provide) on his allotment patch. He certainly didn't expect to come under attack by zombies. Nor did he expect to pick up two extra passengers in his old motor. Watch as they fight for freedom, make it to relative safety only to have the weed smoking one in the trio put all their lives at risk. Will they ge
The Picky Readers
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do love a good zombie book and what's better than a good zombie book? A zombie book with humour :D Gerald, the reluctant octogenarian of the story, along with Hamilton the giant ginger Scot and the hapless weed-puffing Finnbar find themselves in a bit of a pickle when the folk they once knew down at the allotment seemed to have all turned up undead. This short story is full of laughs, facepalms and bad mistakes (on the characters part) where you don't know what you feel sorry for more; the und ...more
natalie harrison
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

I usually don't read books in this genre, but I was looking for something light and humorous, and I found both. The idea of an 87 year old man in the zombie apocalypse is what drew me to the book. I liked all 3 of the main characters...well, the first two, and enjoyed somewhat disliking the third, feeling the same about him as the other characters did. The crusty old man was so cute! I'm definitely going to read the next installment.
Marc
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Very reminiscent of The Hundred Year Old Man but doesn’t quite hit the mark.

A little silly and immature in places, a few old men are doing their usual day to day stuff when there’s a zombie apocalypse.

Worth a read due to it being a short book but I don’t think I’d read anything else from the author
rosemary mccay
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable story.

The zombie apocalypse strikes in West Sussex. Well written story, nicely paced, great characterisation, and gently humorous. Looking forward to reading the next instalment.
Lydia Timpson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short and snappy

A fun read recommended to me by my sister. It's nice to have a very different main character and a cantankerous, morally ambiguous old man is perfect. Looking forwards to reading more.
Zombie_Phreak
Oct 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was just not very engaging. The story was boring, the characters were uninteresting, and frankly I wasn't invested at all in what was going on. As a zombie fan, I can safely say this isn't worth reading. ...more
David  Lillico
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zombies for the golden oldies

Very funny, great characters, can't wait to continue Gertys adventures. Very easy to read due to the quick characterisation of the protagonists stumbling through the apocolypse without all the bravado
Mrs Lauren Fitzpatrick
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cracking little read, very witty.

Has a great knack of raising a knowing smile (Allotmnt commitee so similar to my village hall committee). Will look for more from this author.
Jany Bell
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brilliant

I enjoyed it alot, even tho some of the slang/terms went over my head as I'm from the u.s. I still got the humor. Can't wait for the next story.
Michelle cook
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
brightened my day

I read this in one sitting. It made my insides giggle. loved the characters. could picture the scene perfectly. brilliant!
Susan
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, pas-pour-moi
It gets old, reading current authors’ works where vulgar language is commonplace. A thesaurus would help greatly in choosing intelligent words. I abandoned this book because of the vulgar language.😖
T.A.
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A fun read about the zombie apocalypse from a different point of view, with enjoyable dialogue and characters that you might feel that you recognise.

Kelly-Marie Pollock
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this but I struggled to get through it and gave up half way.
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
quick amusing read but nothing to make me want to read anymore in the series.
Marjory Forsyth
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who would have thought zombies were funny?

I laughed out loud - a wonderful antidote to the news and blues. Gerald is my hero a very positive 86 year old.

Jordan Lee
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good, fun short story. Starts off a bit meh but picks up. Not the typical zombie story.
Alan75
Sep 08, 2018
Mark Beeching
Apr 06, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Devoured (The Hunger #1)
  • Horror Stories
  • Madhouse
  • The Text
  • The Secret Apocalypse (Secret Apocalypse, #1)
  • Quentin Cundick and The Web of Machinations
  • The Other Family
  • Surviving A New World: An EMP Survival story (New World Survival Book 1)
  • The Smell (The Rot, #1)
  • Exodus (Extinction Point, #2)
  • Call of Omega (The Dawn, #2)
  • Man in the Middle (The Dawn, #4)
  • Rise of a Hero (The Dawn, #5)
  • Everybody is Somebody (The Dawn, #3)
  • Barrack Five: A Holocaust Story (Book 1 of the Barracks Series)
  • Hollowland (The Hollows, #1)
  • To Have and To Hold (The Wife # 1)
  • Left Hook - On The Run (Book 2): Survival always comes at a price

News & Interviews

“outpacing a couple of the less agile zombie stragglers whose combined limbs were no longer divisible by two.” 1 likes
“He swung three more times, beating in the heads of the remaining group, all of them meeting their brief and messy ends by means of a Fiskars spade in the hands of a bellowing ginger Scotsman.” 0 likes