Start by marking “No More Heroes (No More Heroes, #1)” as Want to Read:
No More Heroes (No More Heroes, #1)

No More Heroes (No More Heroes, #1)

The peaceful nights are kept under the clandestine and watchful eye of young, gifted Vigilantes the world over. But a sudden rash of Vigilante deaths heralds the arrival of a new and unfamiliar enemy – one whose motive is as unclear as their identity. Someone or something seems determined to disturb the peace, and they're going straight for the watchmen to do it. In a city ...more
eBook, Second Edition, 278 pages
Published February 2017 by Fish & Swallow Publications (first published June 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about No More Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No More Heroes

Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

No More Heroes is a book that I only found due to Twitter. As you know, I’m co-hosting Asian Lit Bingo this month, and Michelle Kan – the author – mentioned that her book fits some of the squares. I checked it out on Amazon and realised it was just my thing!

Vigilantes are being killed all over the city and nobody know why. A group of three young Vigilantes start to learn more about the community and come closer to finding out a
Bina
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asianlitbingo
Originally reviewed on my blog WOCreads

Michelle Kan’s debut novel, No More Heroes, is a fast-paced and exciting superhero tale with a diverse cast of characters. As readers, we follow a young trio of new vigilantes – Clare, Mallory and Linus – who patrol the streets at night on the lookout for criminals and trouble-makers. Interestingly, we learn that what drives them out at night is not simply wanting to do good but that their Abilities come with an extra
Laura (bbliophile)
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yarc2019
This was good and I'm really glad I finally got around to reading it! I have to admit that I skimmed over the fighting scenes because I personally don't like reading them and just tend to get confused about what's going on, but I really enjoyed the plot and the characters!
Yaiza
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Aunque me encantan los superhéroes me ha decepcionado un poquín cómo está escrito, intercalaba demasiado escenas de pelea y charlas, pelea y charlas. Mucho drama innecesario y gente yendo de un lado a otro. En general la base es buena y está entretenido, pero habría mejorado mucho con un cast más reducido (o unos protagonistas claros y luego personajes secundarios) y un argumento más linear.
Lia
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - Though I enjoyed this book, it really didn’t live up to my expectations. I had really high expectations of this book, because I was told it had a lot of aro-ace representation, but it just… wasn’t there? Not a single time was anything mentioned even related to being aro-ace and that just felt like a disappointment to me. However, I did really like the story and everything else!
Whatthelog
Sep 28, 2017 added it
Shelves: diversity
Urban fantasy is where it is at for me! I bought No More Heroes ages ago, so last week I decided to finally tackle it in the Reading Quest. (I’m doing really well, by the way – nearly finished the Mage path!) I originally was interested in it because of the diverse range of characters – Rehua is Samoan, whilst Fang is genderfluid and aroace. (This aspect of the novel is ownvoices). I kind-of wish that Fang was the clear main character of the novel, because she was given much more of a backstory ...more
Janani
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
First published at: http://theshrinkette.com

There are Vigilantes with special Abilities all over the world who patrol the streets at night to keep the peace. However, a series of Vigilante deaths ensue- the identity and the motive of the person responsible for these deaths are unknown. Three young Vigilantes have no idea what they’re getting into when they get involved, and team up with a bunch of older Vigilantes to solve the mystery.

This is a fast-paced urban fantasy that features a diverse ca
iam
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this a lot more than I did.
No More Heroes has a lot of potential and a great premise, but the execution didn’t quite do it for me.

The writing style was good in itself, easy to read and understandable, but it dragged at times and felt repetetive in some places. What bothered me the most was the way it kept the characters very distant – they all seemed amazing and I wanted to know more about them, but they felt like strangers until the very end, as if I just got brief glimpses i
Claudie Arseneault
Disclaimer: I was provided a copy of this in exchange for a honest review.

I finished NO MORE HEROES a few days ago and have been considering what I wanted to say about it for a while. I think your enjoyment of the story will depend heavily on expectations. NO MORE HEROES is amazing when you think of it as an action flick: it has great pacing, the actions scenes are stellar and easy to follow, and the superhero powers are *cool*. I WANT CLARE'S OKAY. I want it a lot.

I often wished we'd spent mor
Karina
Helena Summers
I started this looking for some action-packed story about morally grey and diverse superheroes and I was not disappointed!

This book is about a group of people who have Abilities, which are a kind of superpowers that give them extra energy. Most of them use their Abilities to become Vigilantes and fight against criminals, but lately someone has been killing Vigilantes and no one knows who or why. We follow three friends who have recently found out about their Abilities and suddenly discover this
Louise
Superheroes! Or more accurately morally-grey Vigilantes, but still. It's superheroes along the lines of the tv adaption of Daredevil, or possibly the Watchmen movie than the brighter, cheesy sort of hero.

This is such a fast-paced, action-packed story. I was really impressed when I found out this was a debut novel. Kan manages to create seven distinct 'heroes' each with their own very distinct personalities, and four impressive (if a tad less developed) villains for them to butt heads with. As I
Jessie
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fun superhero story with a really unique set of abilities. (Teleportation via fog!)

It was interesting to read the friendship and team dynamics here. You have Linus, Clare, and Mallory, who are all really close, and then Fisticuffs works on her own, and Resonance, Shockwave, and Rehua all work together with varying degrees of tightness (Shockwave and Rehua working together more closely than Resonance is with them, except Rehua is away for a lot of this book). (view spoiler)
Savarra
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. And it was not bad in general, there were just a few issues that made it uncomfortable to read.
First off with something positive: I liked most of the characters. Linus was a cutie (even though his story line still hat a lot of room for improvement) and the group of Shockwave, Resonance, and Rehua was probably the best developed set of characters.
But even with these likable Vigilantes, there was no way to connect to them. The POV changed often without warning a
Ryan Michael
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow start, amazing story

The first bit of the story was pretty slow, and I considered abandoning it. I am /so glad/ I didn't. This is a freaking wonderful book. The writing is fantastic, and the story line... mwah! Perfect.

I never knew where this story was going to take me, even in the last few pages. It's as much of a mystery novel as it is sff, honestly.

There was a lot of good rep in this. One of the secondary characters is Maori, for example.

And there was no romance to detract from the story
Taylor Winsor
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is so much to love about this book. The amazing characters, the fantastic fight scenes, and the focus on friendship rather than romance. It is fast-paced, and a quick read that is near impossible to put down. The ending is extremely well done, and I just noticed that this book is going to be part of a series, so I am super excited because I cannot wait to continue living in this world.
Riska Sleepless
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this was so good holy shit. I need more.
lune
superpowers! mystery! really good fight scenes!!!! i liked it a lot!!!! it was very good!!!!!!!!!!
Cande
-Ace/Aro MCs
-Anxiety and Genderfluid #ownvoices rep
-Mostly POC and Queer cast

I read this Fantasy book featuring queer people of color superheroes for MHBookBingo and I was completely blown away. The story is great, very fast paced and engaging, but the characters are the stars of the show; these a very diverse group of MCs with different superpowers. But they're not entirely evil or good, their intentions are not all selfless or perfect or cruel. I do love morally grey vigilantes! Plus the book
Roth
THIS WAS SO GOOD. Vigilantes with powers! Morally grey characters who are self aware of their greyness! Great fight scenes that were chaotic and messy but written in a way that I could follow and imagine them! POC everywhere! A genderfluid character! Dark but not too dark atmosphere!
*happy burbling*
Little Miss
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Little by: Michelle Kan
Full disclosure, I am a friend of the author, but also a jaded English major. I wouldn't say something, particularly in the context of a review, that I couldn't stand by.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this fun, fast paced novel to both the young reader, who would enjoy it for its page turning comic style, and the more seasoned reader who would enjoy this as well as it's deep thematic life. The refreshingly diverse cast of youth, living to their own tune is the perfect backdrop for themes incl
RoAnna Sylver
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
“Somewhere out there, there was somebody else just like them, a Vigilante using their Ability to own the night – and even if for a moment, it meant that they felt a little bit less alone.”

* * *

I’ve been sitting on this review for a long time, and I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get to it! This is a unique and memorable take on the superhero genre that... is hard to explain in some ways, the way it makes me feel, at least.

It kind of both follows and deconstructs the superhero literary convent
Amy Han
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No More Heroes follows a group of young people with special abilities, trying to solve the mystery of who is killing off their peers. It's action-packed, very visual, and easy to read; a great book for YA readers in particular who are interested in the makings of a hero, and an anti-hero for that matter.
An impressive first book from Michelle. Look forward to the next one! The ending of No More Heroes suggests a sequel... :)
Nastya
Laya
Feb 24, 2017
Janani
Jul 14, 2017
  • City of Strife (City of Spires, #1)
  • Gabriel's City: A Tale of Fables and Fortunes
  • Foreshock
  • The Poison Within
  • The Pagan's Prize (Captive Brides #3)
  • Seduced by Destiny (Scottish Lasses #2)
  • Daybreak Rising (Embers of Redemption, #1)
  • Blessed Isle
  • Caught
  • Der König verneigt sich und tötet
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Hurricane Heels
  • To Stand in the Light
  • Ripped Pages
  • Illumination
  • Guarded (Guarded, #1)
  • Failure to Communicate (Xandri Corelel #1)
  • Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1)
Michelle Kan is an independent filmmaker/videographer and writer based in Wellington, New Zealand.
“A figure with a handsome face, dark hair and startling blue eyes. A figure that only three nights ago Linus had watched on the stage at The Niterie.” 0 likes
“So…” Clare hesitated. “Which one is Fang?” Fang smiled. “Fang is Fang. No more, no less.” She winked.” 0 likes