Start by marking “A Boy Worth Knowing” as Want to Read:

A Boy Worth Knowing

Ghosts can’t seem to keep their opinions to themselves.

Seventeen-year-old Nate Shaw should know; he’s been talking to them since he was twelve. But they aren’t the only ones making his high school years a living hell. All Nate wants is to keep his secret and keep his head down until he can graduate. That is, until the new boy, James Powell, takes a seat next to him in home
Published March 20th 2017 by NineStar Press (first published March 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Boy Worth Knowing, please sign up.
Eli B. I highly recommend We Are The Ants over A Boy Worth Knowing. I would say they are very lightly connected. I agree with Abby Bartle in saying A Boy Wor…moreI highly recommend We Are The Ants over A Boy Worth Knowing. I would say they are very lightly connected. I agree with Abby Bartle in saying A Boy Worth knowing is more similar to Wonders of the Invisible World--I can absolutely see that connection on many levels.(less)

Start your review of A Boy Worth Knowing
☆ Todd
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

** ONE OF MY VERY FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE YEAR! **

-----------------------------------------------

I can say without a hint of hesitation that I truly loved this YA story and it was everything that I'd hoped it might be after reading the blurb.

Nate's life was lonely, as he had no friends, other than his loving, supportive aunt and his dearly-departed grandmother, but he tried his best to not let that bring him down.

James' life was full of turmoil and grief over the death of his beloved brother,
Wendy
teaserbox_2453512845.jpg (703×245):

I don't read as much Y/A adult as I used to, because with me getting older, it gets harder and harder to identify with the MC's. But every now and then, a Y/A book comes along that blows my mind....which is exactly what this book did.

ekwkr9l2zcix.gif (460×280)

This story is about Nate and James...

Nate is 17 years old and quite the loner. Not because he wants to be, but because he doesn't have any friends. Everyone at school sees him as some sort of freak, because they don't understand Nate. Nate only has two people in his
AMEERA
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I loved the idea and the cover but the book was silly unfortunately 💔!!
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I enjoyed this young adult audiobook debut by Jennifer Cosgrove, but I couldn't help but think that A Boy Worth Knowing could have been something more.

I don't read that much YA, and this book reminded me of why. I found the MCs to be a bit immature for high school seniors, and a bit too innocent. However, I thought the story was, in turns, both sweet and heart-breaking.

I liked the ghost aspect, but I think Jennifer Cosgrove could have taken it even further. It was strange how people didn't ask
Romie
two guys falling for each other? one is able to see and talk to ghosts? it's absolutely adorable? it has a gay main character and a bisexual love interest? yes, what do you need more? (also there's basically no plot, it's pure fluff)
Susan
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story this was! I was immediately enamored with Nate and his 'voice'. He was such a sweet soul, who happened to have an ability that made him different. And different in high school calls for trouble. And lack of friends. And loneliness.

Nate is 17 years old and can see and talk to ghosts. He has regular talks with his deceased Nana, and waves to the grumpy, naked guy on the cemetary every day. He lives with his aunt after his mother kicked him out because she couldn't deal with his
Jan
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great surprise!
I am not much into paranormal reads but I have to say, I am so glad I gave this a go because this was incredibly good!
A Boy Worth Knowing has that special vibe of "couldn't stop reading it".
I think the author has approached the paranormal subject in a very sensitive and careful way. Instead of making it sinister and creepy, she opted for light and fun and it worked so well.
Both characters were adorable.
The angst was just perfect.
My niggle: Natan's mother was a loos
Karen
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one's not only worth reading...

But I'm pretty sure at some point I will be doing a re-read on this.

I honestly only have one big issue with this book and that's the title because there's not one boy worth knowing in this book there's 2. There's funny, smart, sweet, adorable, isolated Nate and then there's James. Handsome, loyal, not afraid to think for himself, James.

Now before I go any further let's talk about the title...truthfully the title is perfect, but you'll have to read the bo
Lisazj1
4.5 stars. Sweet, funny and real, I adored it! <3 ...more
Teal
I gradually fell out of love with this as it went along, until I was sorely tempted to DNF @ 84%. Initially I liked 17-year old Nate's narrative voice -- he was smart without being overly snarky. I've read so many YA novels that try too hard, ending up with a 1st person narration that's strident and obnoxious.

What didn't ring true here was Nate's age; he's a high school senior, but came across to me as a 14- or 15-year old. But the deal-killer was the utterly cliché nature of the high school dra
Rachel
This is a sweet YA romance with charming characters. I wanted to love this story, and for the most part, I did enjoy it a lot, but... (view spoiler) ...more
Leaundra
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! My first book by this author! I love when I read a new author and the book is good. I thought this was a sweet story of young love (It's YA). I really enjoyed Nate's voice, and I loved how he and James met. They were so sweet together. It was interesting how Nate could see and talk to ghost but ironically it never felt like it was paranormal, just an everyday boy who happened to be able to talk to ghosts. I also loved Nate's aunt Sarah she was too cool. I know this review is all ov ...more
haletostilinski
Oh, I absolutely adored this! It was cute and adorable and sweet and just a fun story all around.

Nate is a 17 year old high school senior who just so happens to see and be able to talk to ghosts. When one of the popular girls heard him talking to one years ago (and thus seeming to talk to himself) she labeled him crazy and a freak and that spread around school to the point where he's ostracized and made fun of whenever they feel like it or get the chance.

Nate has been on his own, with only his
Michael S.
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet, impactful YA with modest angst, tasteful (dare I say age-appropriate?) romance and sexuality, and light paranormal elements.

I might have liked to learn more about certain characters, but on the upside, there's already plenty of material to explore if the author decides to write more stories in this setting.

The leads were really well done and sold the whole experience for me. I'd definitely revisit this author.
Elizabetta
An awesome YA start for this new author!
Jules Lovestoread
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. <333333

A Boy Worth Knowing is one of the best YA books I’ve read recently. Wonderfully realistic, witty, and charming, and I so, so, so adored Nate. I loved James, too…but Nate, you guys…he was fantastic. Jennifer Cosgrove gave him such an authentic voice, I truly felt like I was inside a high school boy’s head. The same was true for James as well; in fact, all the characters read as very true to life. There’s nothing that bothers me more in reading YA than it feeling forced, or pain
Cassandra
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reads-of-2018
"I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to remember I was a reasonably intelligent person who did not fall apart over talking to someone on the phone."

This was super, super cute. Nate was a blushing, precious disaster and James was a smiling puppy of a boy. The first forty pages or so were a tad slow, but the last fifty pages or so were so addictive they made up for it.

Looking for a YA read to leave you with the feeling only copious amounts of hot chocolate could give you in the past? Look no fu
Lost in a Book
3-3.5 Bummed Stars
Did you hear that? My SQUEEL of excitement when starting this book? I’m sure you did because it was hella loud. I was freakin’ pumped for this book… so pumped I paid FULL price. *yowza* This had ALL the elements for a potential bookgasm.

Coming of Age/Young Adult? Check
Trouble on the home front? Check
Bullies? Check
Ghosts? Check
Boys who love boys? Double Check

So Why?? Why did I not connect with it?
 photo hanging-head-in-shame_zps7tcgepqg.jpg

Here is why…NOTHING HAPPENED! Seriously, I kept reading for the promise of gr
Lindsay M.
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
You guys, I freaking adored this book. I think it is one of my favorite YA stories to date. It's well written, funny, and sweet without being over the top.

My favorite thing, though? Nate sounds like a high school student (which he is, of course). He doesn't sound too mature for his age, and his actions are that of a 17-18 year old boy. He's insecure and so stinking charming. The paranormal aspect of the story doesn't overpower the friendship and growing love (or "extreme like" as Nate likes to
Lelyana
I'm happy I found this book.
This is one of the best YA book thIs year.
I almost had the feeling like when I read Aristotle and Dante.
All the teenage problems along with ghosts intact...is one unique experience.
In my real life, I am the aunt Susan with my seeing and talking with ghost niece. Trust me it's not easy. And it's real.

Nice sweet story, low angst and with typical teenage problems to solve. This book is unputdownable and worth every time you took to read. And reread.
Because, you don't r
Tess
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-mm, paranormal
4 stars

I'm a big sucker for YA m/m romance that has a coming of age feel, so I was very excited to read this. And in the end I liked it, but not as much as I wanted to. What I liked most was Nate - I loved his voice and I really understood and felt for him. What I didn't like? First, even though we don't really see the mom much, I thought that part was a little over the top. (view spoiler)
Sabrina Grafenberger
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Seventeen-year-old Nate Shaw has been able to see ghosts since he was twelve. This ability labeled him a freak and an outcast at school. This all changes when the new boy, James Powell, takes a seat next to him in class. James not only notices him, he manages to work his way into Nate's life (and heart). But will James stick around once he finds out the truth?

This book was cute, funny and absolutely heartwarming. If you want something light with adorable main characters you should definitely pic
Monique
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. Nate is lonely and considered a freak at school. He can talk to Ghosts and he's so snarky, awkward and adorkable. James is sweet, outgoing and saw something special in Nate. With two main ghosts that stick around, an awesome aunt, some mean teenagers and a few hiccups along the way... we get one very sweet and special story.
Gerty Mac
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-romance-recs
A Boy Worth Knowing is a sweet, queer coming of age story - with ghosts. But that’s shockingly normalized in this setting. Nate Shaw can see ghosts and he’s gay, and both of those things are totally okay. Other people sometimes have a problem with the ghost part, including Nate’s mother, but Nate’s sexuality is never a point of shame or fear. Nate’s an outcast at school, until James, the new boy, takes an interest in being his friend.

Their friendship is typical of teenage boys, bad horror movie
fandomprincess
May 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I pretty much hated this book for a million reasons, here are a few of them:

1. mc did not act his age and he was just not likable

2. love interest was boring and I didn't really like him either

3. cliché after cliché, plus I really hope people don't have high schools like this

4. hello editor were you as bored as me is that why you missed the million timeline mistakes. 2 weeks turned into a month, months turned into weeks. and it happened multiple times during the book.

5. the family stuff was just
BWT (Belen)
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, mm-fiction
The story is a pleasant YA read with some slow burn friends to boyfriends romance. I found the pacing was a bit slow at times, and I kept waiting for something BIG to happen...but it doesn't.

It's just a sweet look at the life of Nate, a senior in high school who's sort of an outcast, who gets befriended by the cute new guy, and eventually falls in love with him.

Oh, and Nate can see dead people. Which I really thought would be more badass than it actually turned out to be.

Anyway...cute, sweet, lo
Dylan
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was pretty cute!

3.75 stars though because since it's such a short book, I found everything to be pretty rushed as far as the romance, the supernatural aspects and the back stories of the characters.

Still a fast, easy read that I will be for sure recommending to people for a long time.
Michael
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-themed
Nate sees dead people and it makes him a social pariah. Enter the meet cute and we are off to the races. I wasn’t sure if we were heading into a murder mystery, ghost story, or a love story and feel like there could have been more in this. It had great characters and well crafted back stories, and even provided a real reason to use those powers to see the departed to go on an adventure. Instead the powers were the backdrop of the story and the motivation for some things to happen, not the crux o ...more
Ulysses Dietz
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
By Jennifer Cosgrove
Ninestar Press, 2017

Nate Shaw is a teenager who’s easy to like. Too bad he has no friends. That’s because one of the popular girls decided he was crazy, and now he’s basically been shunned all through high school. So he keeps his head down, focuses on his schoolwork, and runs. He runs a lot.

Nate isn’t crazy, but he can talk to ghosts. The good part of this is that one of those ghosts is his grandmother. The bad part is that his mother threw him out of the
Mónica BQ
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to like this book as much as I ended up doing.

Although the story stalled a tiny bit in the middle with an unnecessarily long back and forth, the rest of it was quite good.

This book was cute, and fun, and a bit cheesy and quintessential YA. And I adored the whole of it. Which surprised the hell out of me. Also: great Bi rep.

Nate is an amazing character with a quirky side to his personality that made the whole book thoroughly enjoyable. James is the perfect YA boyfriend, but in a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: A Boy Worth Knowing, by Jennifer Cosgrove 2 16 Jul 20, 2017 04:07AM

• Been Here All Along
  • Ghosting You
  • Alex in Wonderland
  • A Surplus of Light
  • Lock & West
  • I Knew Him
  • Riding with Brighton
  • When Everything Is Blue
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • Running With Lions
  • Sometime After Midnight
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Burning Britely (Burning Britely, #1)
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions #1)
  • Gay Love and Other Fairy Tales