Start by marking “Lazarus Vol. 5: Cull” as Want to Read:
Lazarus Vol. 5: Cull

Lazarus Vol. 5: Cull

(Lazarus #22-26)

The fifth collection of the critically acclaimed New York Times bestselling series by Eisner winners MICHAEL LARK and GREG RUCKA plunges the Sixteen Families into chaos as the world goes to war. But Forever Carlyle, the Lazarus of the Carlyle Family, has been sidelined, and her loyalties are now in question as she struggles to come to terms with who and what she is. To win ...more
Published May 31st 2017 by Image (first published March 21st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Lazarus Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lazarus Vol. 5

Anne
When everyone is lying, who can you trust?

description

Welp, you're not going to get the answer to that question in The Cull. In fact, I think I have even more doubts about who might be on Ever's side now!
But at least our girl gets a few answers to her own origin questions in this one.

description

And while Ever is trying to sort out what to do with the information she's learned, the rest of the Lazaruses she's friendly with are fighting together to win the war. I liked getting to know those guys a bit, to be honest.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
In which my girlfriend Forever Carlyle of the Mutant Lego Click-On Hair (FCotMLCOH™) *waves at Anne* is feeling kinda sorta under the weather after getting her lovely ass slightly kicked in the previous instalment and stuff.

This is definitely the mostest bestest volume in this series so far. Why, you ask? Because it has everything. And by that I mean every bloody shrimping thing.

Michael Lark's most wondrous art :
There is the yummilicious cover, obviously. And there is also lickable stuff like
David Schaafsma
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One volume a year. I read one volume every year of this comics series, in the summer, because it comes out annually. Ach. Volume 4 I read in May 2016, so of course I had to review it to remember what is going on. This is a dystopian series by Greg Rucka, drawn by Michael Lark, set in a time when the world is ruled by rich Mafia-like families who are Medici-level murderous, incestuous, back-stabbing, all that. We don’t really get to know or care about most of them, and there are too many characte ...more
Chad
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I defy you to not like this series. Rucka's world building is complex and well thought out. Imagine if in the future, 20 or so Medici-like families ruled the Earth. War has come to the globe and in particular the family Carlyle. Forever is recovering from the injuries she received in the last volume, while the other Lazuri advance the front in Europe. Michael Lark's art and ability to draw action scenes are stunning. Now I'll probably have to wait another year for volume 6 unfortunately.
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Pretty solid volume. Forever is recuperating from the ass kicking she took in the last volume so much of the action in this one is left to Sonja, another Lazeri from the Bittner family. But that's okay cuz Sonja is badass.

A lot of talking going down in this one - which is good cuz that means things are starting to come together. Forever is figuring things out and gathering allies. I don't think I would want to be a member of the Carlyle family for much longer.

This series is consistently good and
Anthony
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: image
This series is so consistently GOOD!
Roy
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didnt think this series could get much better. Its constantly surprising me with its direction in the plot. The world buidling is amazing. This would make an awesome film/tv show. Highly recommended!!
Kaitlin
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gettinggraphic
This is a series I've been following for some time and it's one I very much enjoy. What I like about this is the balance between action, adventure, warfare and emotion. We follow Forever and Eight as characters in this volume, and we see how much of a scar and burden being the Lazarus can be. It's draining, both physically and mentally, but most of all it's exhausting emotionally for Forever and for her family who have been keeping secrets about how she's made for many years.

I would say this one
Artemy
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has got to be the most event-packed volume of the entire series so far, and I really like the way the story escalates. Really, the only problem I have with this series by this point is how stupid the russian family name is (Vassalovka is not a legit russian name, nor is Kassia or most other russian names made up by pretty much all western writers, for that matter — I'm used to it, but I'll never be able to not cringe at that).
Gucifi
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The comic was so terrific.
Lata
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is a lot of story packed in this volume. All sorts of story threads are coming together, with Families fighting all over the world, with Sonja helping the Carlyles, while Forever recovers from her grievous injuries in Duluth, and gives her family the evil eyeball every time they talk to her. Joanna, the scheming sister, as Head of Family, makes some interesting decisions about Forever, and expresses rather divergent opinions from the rest of her family, and decides to take a different appr ...more
Cathy
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very violent. Twisty. A lot of blood. Good storytelling.

Wow, and what an ending to this volume. I hope that this will all get wrapped up in the next one! Which isn‘t out yet. I seem to have found my first comic series that I will subscribe to, so I don‘t miss what happens next. The story telling is just that good.
Craig
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. One of the best, most carefully-crafted, dystopian futures currently on display anywhere. Rucka's vision of a future world controlled by corporation-families is a logical outgrowth of many currently-developing political threads. This time out, as Forever Carlyle, the Lazarus of family Carlyle, recovers from grievous wounds suffered in the battle of Duluth, the political infighting and maneuvering among the various families continues, with the Rausling family taking over much of ...more
Mike
Yeah this shit getting GOOD.

The inter-family wars are escalating, the body politics around the Lazari is fascinating and the political intrigue within and between families is making me VERY FUCKING SAD I’m all caught up now, and have to wait another couple of years for a chunky dose of Lazarus.

Now that we see just how sociopath is even the Carlyle family treatment of Forever is, it’s even more compelling to watch Joanna take complete control of the Family and its dubious choices - like whether a
Jordan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I said the last book was visceral, but the end of this one was just plain damn brutal. And the heel face turn!! I cannot wait for the next one to come out.
David Dalton
I discovered this series just within the past year. Rather than play catch up on 26 issues, I decided to read the collected Volumes. I caught the first two on my digital library and zipped right thru them on my Kindle Fire. I picked up the next 3 volumes in their trade paperback form. I love them. This is a very well written and developed storyline. The art is fantastic. Forever is one kick-a## Lazarus. This whole storyline is very political in a "Into the Badlands" type of way.

But what now? Is
Koen
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing left to say but: daaaaamn!

Just pick it up and be amazed ;)
Melissa
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit that I had to flip ahead to make sure that (view spoiler) made it out alive. This remains one of the few consistently awesome graphic series of the last several years. When I think of titles that came out at the same time, there's nothing that has stayed this great except Saga. The art is still fab, especially the sword fighting, and the storyline still sucks you in, damages you, and spits you out, upset that the volumes are always too short.
Rumi Vd
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More and more gets clear in already its fifth instalment in this kickass series. If you dig a badass female lead role in a sci-fi but not to distant Future, check this one out. you wont be disappointed !
Trike
An excellent continuation an an excellent continuation of the overall story of the war between the families.

Lots of surprises and revelations, with cool action to boot. A new Lazarus makes his debut in a brutal fashion, while we get to see some of the machinations going on behind the scenes. The hint that one of the Lazari is a robot is made specific, but the implication is that some houses might be compromised. Dun-dun-dunnn!

To be continued, apparently.
Frédéric
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, sci-fi
The war between the families rages on, alliances are made, betrayals go rampant (inside and out the families), monsters are unleashed...

Whew! All that in 5 well constructed issues, with good use of flashbacks and ellipses, sublimed by Michael Lark's wonderful art and storytelling.

If you'very read the first 4 volumes, this is NOT the time to quit the series.
fatimah
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
J.M. Hushour
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A consistently fantastic comic, easily one of the best out there right now.
Shit starts to go down, with a lot of brutal Lazarus-on-Lazarus action as the eastern family unleashes its monster child. Forever Carlyle comes to terms with her own brutal truths, and everyone else connives against everyone else. A welcome antidote to the current superhero/fantasy schlockglut.
Mike
Moves the story forward a weeeeeeee bi slowly. That's okay, given the gorgeous art work involved!

The Seasonal Reading Challenge Task 20.4 (Siobhan's Task: Wedding Day)
The Sonic Screwdriver Bouquet Option (¡¡¡ Siobhan like-a her sci-fi, apparently !!!)
("Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga" are allowed for this task.)
Read a book with a main page genre of Science Fiction.
Mary Beth
In volume 5, all the parts of Lazarus—internal Carlyle family politics; the Carlyles' relationship with the larger world; and Forever, the Carlyles' Lazarus, herself—finally start to come together and deepen one another, making this the strongest arc yet. Joanna, Forever's sister, is turning into a fascinating character, and war in Europe heightens the drama considerably.
Eclectisism Incarnate
Kenny
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Action, intrigue, politics all collide in this near future dystopia in a breathtaking style.
Sonic
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please read this.

This is terrifyingly poignant stuff here, people!

Which makes it feel almost perverse how fun/thrilling/exciting the experience of reading this story is.

Annye
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lazarus is, by design, hugely political; there's a sprawling cast of characters, family and inter-family dynamics, ever-changing alliances, etc. Ordinarily I'd be all about a complicated web of drama, but when it comes to Lazarus I am way more interested in the personal stories. Volume 5: Cull is largely about the individuals (most notably, Forever herself), and I think that makes this book better than some of the previous entries in the series.

I was never a huge fan of the artwork - it's muddy
Chris Lemmerman
God, this series is good.

Forever is still reeling from the events of the fourth volume but, as she attempts to recover, the true secrets behind the Lazari are revealed. The politics of Rucka and Lark's world take the front seat here, as Forever's rebellion begins and Johanna Carlyle makes her move - it all culminates in a massive five Lazari fight that alters everything you think you know about the series.

Lark's artwork remains flawless; his action scenes are second to none, and the use of shado
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• East of West, Vol. 6
  • Black Science, Vol. 6: Forbidden Realms and Hidden Truths
  • The Fade Out: Act Three
  • The Wild Storm, Vol. 1
  • Descender, Vol. 5: Rise of the Robots
  • Copperhead, Vol. 2
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.

Lazarus (5 books)