Start by marking “Predator: Cold War” as Want to Read:
Predator: Cold War

Predator: Cold War (Predator)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A Predator ship has crashed in the wilds of a Russian taiga, and the Russians and the Americans are keen to lay hands on the prize. Reluctantly, NYPD detective Shaefer, the only man to kill a Predator and live, is dispatched to investigate, followed by his ex-partner.
Published March 31st 1997 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Predator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Predator

Quentin Wallace
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the original comic series this was based on years ago, but I think I enjoyed this novel more. Predators end up in Siberia when their ship crash lands, and the Russians and Americans end up in a race to acquire their technology. Schaefer shows up again from the first novel, who is the brother of Arnold's Dutch character from the original Predator film. It was cool to see the Predators in snow since we'd only seen them in hot climates before. This would have made a pretty good movie. Great ...more
Steven Totty
May 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is definately a crappy Fan-Fiction but if you have any nostalgic memories of Arnold yelling, " GET TO THE CHOPPA!" it serves its purpose. Plus, there are a couple of good easter eggs in here that reference the movies character Major "Dutch" Sheafer. - S. Totty
Simon
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great fun!
Will Man
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's as you'd expect. Actiony. But not in a boring McNab way but in a fun, accessible, sci-fi way.

I like the descriptions, especially of the main character 'Schaefer' (the brother of Arnie's character 'Dutch' from the movie). He's just so ... cartoony! The stereotypical man-of-action, it's as if the book were lampooning its own genre. Very amusing and entertaining to read about him (and I think the author clearly enjoyed writing about him).

If you like the Predator movies - as I do - and are loo
John
Concrete Jungle was a terrible Predator novel, but somehow its sequel, Cold War, ends up being one of the best early Alien/Predator books out there. Still, it's not a great book, by any means--just a competent one. The action is decent and the dialog is surprisingly ok. The characters are better than those in Concrete Jungle, but the two leads still remain very one-dimensional. Even after two books, Archer doesn't even bother to give his two heroes first names. The Siberian setting is cool, and ...more
Ronald
Dec 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I was pleasantly suprised that this book was really relly entertaining. I had bought this book on a whim at the local Flea Market. I figured it could not be worse than the 80s movie. Well it was nearly as good as the Arnold fest Predator movie. The book has all the problems of an 80s action movie. Bad acting, people acting stupid in the face of evidence that they were wrong. It was all very amusing and was entertaining to read. If you get a chance I recomend you read it. It will be OK.
Jonathan Cheney
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is for certain one of favorite books so far. Maybe it's because I don't read much, or because I love action and alien books. It had parts in the book where there is tons of action, and others where it was very boring. Some areas of the book were very dry, and felt useless with no addition to the actual story. The Predators didn't make many appearances in the book despite that it is named after them. Maybe if the Predators made more appearances, then I could give it 5 stars.
Hanne Winter
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Russians fight some Predators in Siberia! This was exactly what I was hoping for going in, and absolutely what was delivered. Not a great book, or amazingly original. But it was popcorn. With butter. And vodka.
Bryan Schmidt
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. not quite as engaging to me as Archer's prior effort but a fun setting and dynamic. way too many characters to follow was its downfall.
Alex Klimkewicz
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Read it back in middle school. Enjoyed it then, along with several other Aliens, Predator, and Aliens vs. Predator books, but I probably wouldn't read it again.
Sally Lundsten
  • Predator: Forever Midnight
  • Predator: Big Game
  • Predator: South China Sea
  • Predator: Turnabout
  • Aliens: Music of the Spears (Aliens)
  • Aliens vs. Predator: Hunter's Planet (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 2)
  • Aliens vs. Predator: War (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 3)
  • Aliens: DNA War
  • Aliens: Alien Harvest
  • Aliens: Original Sin
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)
  • Predator Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Indiana Jones and the White Witch (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #8)
  • The Complete Alien Omnibus

• Predator: South China Sea

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)