Start by marking “Moroda (World of Linaria #1)” as Want to Read:
Moroda (World of Linaria #1)

Moroda

(World of Linaria #1)

Linaria is a world where dragons are revered as gods, where airships rule the skies, and where war is stirring.

For Moroda, a former Goldstone, her life of luxury ends following her father’s sudden death. When her city is destroyed by a dragon, she and her sister ally with a sky pirate and narrowly escape the carnage—only to find a vigilante from an exiled race has left a
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 426 pages
Published February 13th 2017 by Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.

To ask other readers questions about Moroda, please sign up.
L.L. Thank you very much! There will be six books in the series. I hope to publish book two in September 2017!

Start your review of Moroda (World of Linaria #1)
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
My first buddy read with TL, and wow, was it a good one! I'm so happy I was able to share such an amazing reading experience with her! :)

And now it’s time for another one of my trademarked…
”Book, you have the right to a speedy trial” reviews!

THE DEFENSE

- “Book, do you swear to tell an awesome story, the whole awesome story, and nothing but an awesome story?”

You know you’re in for a fun ride when the action literally begins on page 1! Once a member of a rich family (known as “Goldstones” in t
✨    jamieson   ✨
"From dragon-flame begun, from dragon-flame undone ... In the end, everything burns

THIS BOOK IS GOOD NEWS for any fans of dragons, sky pirates and warring fantasy worlds because Moroda, the first book in an upcoming six-book series has all three

Moroda is a high-fantasy novel set in Linaria - a world populated by various species of people, where dragons are revered as Gods and war is stirring.

It follows Moroda, a young girl who, along with her sister, is thrown into an unlikely alliance with
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Moroda is L.L. McNeil's self published, High Fantasy debut following a ragtag group of adventurers on a mission to change the tide of a racially charged war before it consumes the lasting peace Linaria has come to know.

The standout element of this book for me is the writing style. McNeil has a lot of raw talent as a writer & I find myself incredibly engaged with how she chose to tell the story of Moroda. I especially enjoy the action & combat sequences, as I am clearly
TL
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Buddyread with David . I kind/sorta/definitely left him in the dust here haha... #sorrynotsorry Will link his review when he is finished :) In the meantime, check out his profile :)

UPDATE: David's review here
---
~*~Book slump could not defeat Moroda and gang!~*~
(I think this was a help in me staying on the edge of the book slump pit and helping me start to crawl out)

This was mentioned to me by David when we were looking for a buddyread to try together (I also saw it on a friend's Amazon wishlist
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
4.25 amazing stars!

From the gorgeous cover to the world created in this fantastic novel, I have fallen for the cast of characters, the vivid settings, the unique magic system/sources of power and of course the DRAGONS!!! Yeah, I've fallen pretty hard for it. To say that my experience reading this novel was engrossing is a slight understatement to the actual film that went on in my mind. Although mostly in fantasy novels do I experience this motion from the written word into action, it was an eff
Esme
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book starts out with a jail break! The main character, Moroda, has been jailed and been told she's going to be beheaded for defying a foreign noble and publicly disagreeing with him while he was making an announcement. She's been put in jail with two others, Amarah and Sapora. Amarah is a sky pirate and Sapora is a part of a race called the Vakarian which are feared and second class citizens through much of the world. They are a humanoid species with sharp teeth and a reputation for bloodshe ...more
Mpauli
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moroda is the first installment in L.L. McNeil's World of Linaria series and her debut as an author.

Moroda and her sister Eryn are from a wealthy family that has fallen from grace. Right in the beginning Eryn is breaking out Moroda out of prison and the reader gets thrown into a story of sky pirates, dragon lore and fast-paced shapeshifter fights.
Soon a party has been formed and a threat turns up that could shake the foundation of the world of Linaria.

The first thing you're going to realize abou
☙ nemo ❧
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
(dnf at 41%)

will no one rid me of this turbulent reading slump
Celise
Moroda is the debut novel of author L.L. McNeil, who kindly provided me with a copy of her book in exchange for a review.

Moroda is the first of six books in the World of Linaria series, set in a big world full of dragons, sky ships and magic. In this first installment, Moroda and her sister Eryn have recently lost their luxurious titles as Goldstones following the death of their father. When a dragon attacks their city under the compulsion of a man called Aciel, they team up with a sky pirate, A
Michael
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Epic fantasy lovers
3-stars. This would have got 4-stars if the version I read had not required editing.

This is the author's debut novel. There's plenty to like about this book. There are good ideas, battles, a female lead character and Dragons! What's not to like about that?

This could be read as a standalone though there is lots of scope for continuing story-lines. Airships, Dragons, floating cities and characters who can metamorphosis into giant snakes, tigers and flying Dragon-men. There's so much potential for
Whispering Stories
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
If you like fantasy novels Moroda will be right up your street, as it provides all the features you would expect.

It is set in what we would recognise as Medieval times and starts with an unexpected journey of adventure by a diverse band of characters, including those that transform into animals and others that can fly. The book also has mountains, cave dwellers, dragons, and of course lots of magic taught by the typical wise old professor.

Seen primarily from the perspective of the lead character
Olivia
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Nov. 2018: Just announced as a semi-finalist of SPFBO4.

I received an ARC of the paperback from the author in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 Stars.

Moroda is L.L. McNeil's debut novel and I was excited when I found out that it's an epic fantasy with a female protagonist and dragons. Who doesn't love dragons?

It's an easy read that starts a bit slow but quickly turns into a gripping story about a young woman who sets out to save her world, Linaria, from a war. On her journey she meets a varied bu
Becky
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I loved this book and cannot wait to continue the series to learn more about each character and their stories, as well as the fantastical world. This book was a fantastic first novel in the world of Linaria series. The writing and concept hooked me from the start, I read this so fast, cause I just couldn’t put it down. The characters were well developed and likeable, and their story was full of twists and turns.
If you enjoy fantasy novels, full of dragons, sky pirates and battles, with some hea
Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews)
4 stars

I was pretty much sold on this book the moment the author described it as princes, dragons and sky pirates. Moroda is a young woman thrown into a jail cell after speaking out against an Arillian Lord who seems to have her people in thrall. Normally quiet and unassuming, Moroda is forced into an unlikely alliance with a Sky Pirate named Amarah when a dragon attacks the city. The slaying of the usually peaceful dragon by a mysterious Arillian hunter and the realisation that the creature may
Kaitlin
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-published
*This is a book I was sent by the author for review*

Moroda is the debut fantasy from L. L. McNeil and it was a story I very much enjoyed. It's definitely got roots in classic fantasy and you can see some troupes being played with by the author, but it's original and fresh and filled with promise.

The world of Linera is ruled by different Princes and Princesses in differing parts of the land. There are some parts where the wealthy live in prosperity, some where the poor are abandoned, some caves
Steph Warren
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book, with thanks to the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Moroda is a swords and sorcery epic fantasy, featuring a pacifist main character. But just because she prefers to do no harm, that doesn’t mean Moroda is a pushover… quite the opposite.

The story begins with Moroda in jail for being the only person who dared to speak up against an illustrious visitor to the city. This act of defiance is just the start of an entirely new path for the
Nikki
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
I picked this up as an audio book because it’s narrated by one of my favourite people (the gorgeous Georgie Leonard) and I remembered her saying how much she enjoyed it while she was recording it.

I am SO glad I did! I really enjoyed it and I might not have come across it otherwise.

The world of Linaria is quite complex, and I like that we learn bits as we go along and that there’s still more we don’t know. I also like our rag tag bunch of heroes.

My favourite is Amarah! Awesome female sky pirat
Bex
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, arc-s
Moroda is an impressive debut. It is filled with a world of things to learn, characters to become attached to and just the right amount left out to keep you wanting more. Roll on book two!

Moroda may be the name of one of the characters within, but this book feels like it has many protagonists to get to know. Initially however it starts with her; Moroda is thrown in a cell with some dodgy characters she'd rather not be mixed up with, and sprung free by her sister. So unfolds a story of escape, e
K.S. Marsden
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the death of her father, Moroda's world is in a downward spiral; but soon she ends up the unlikely ally to a sky pirate, a half-beast, and shapeshifters. What started as a simple dragon hunt soon turns into a bigger adventure.

I bought a paperback copy when the author attended a comic con in Doncaster, which was pretty cool.

The story follows Moroda, a young noble woman who loses everything when her father dies. Soon, all she has left is her little sister, and her wits.
Her personal struggle
Dreximgirl
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ordered the books from the authors website after a recommendation by a friend - I then listened to the first book on audio and really enjoyed it. Moroda is a really compelling read, with rich world building and thoughtful characters. Even though this books main focus is on the character of Moroda we spend a good amount of time getting to know all of the characters and I definitely had my favourites.

I also loved the Dragons and the magic system, I found it to be quite unique and I am looking f
Silke
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Silke by: Mpauli
Like many others princes, dragons and sky pirates sold me - and I really got what I was looking for. The story and the way it was written never failed to entertain me and though from time to time, I yearned for a bit more details regarding some topics and character backgrounds, I enjoyed following Moroda's and all the other's path whole heartedly and look forward for what next to come.
Coco.V
Apr 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/1/2020)! 🎁
R.J. Furness
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. What an incredible fantasy feast!
Kishan Dias
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this book after several recommendations from friends. This is not a genre that I am unfamiliar with however I was completely engrossed from the outset.
I found the characters to be very relatable and the action thrilling. This book became one of the rare few that I simply could not put down.
I highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys the fantasy genre and it is also a perfect starter point for anyone, like me, who has had very little experience of this genre before.
J.A.Birch
I am so glad that my father bought this for me at a convention last year and got it signed by the author herself (plus a beautiful bookmark and illustration book of the characters). I cannot praise this novel enough! For anyone who has enjoyed The Copper Promise by Jen Williams I would suggest they find a copy of this book.

The world L.L.McNeil has created is so full of information and well built that I am sure she has a lot more to write about (and am glad to see future books are already lined u
Siobhan
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Moroda is the first book in L.L. McNeil’s World of Linaria series, and it sets things up for what promises to be an interesting fantasy series. Although I enjoyed this one and am curious to see what comes next, I wasn’t quite as obsessed with it as I had hoped to be.

Moroda offers a ragtag group and a storyline that offers lots. There is so much that happened throughout this book, with the promise of much more for the series, and this had me turning the pages to see how everything came together.
The BookBug
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay so I finished this book some time ago but am only just getting round to reviewing.

An easy 5* and a must read!

From the very start you are dropped into mayhem Moroda the main character is attempting to break out of jail for crimes against a foreign noble and is due to become beheaded during this time we meet two very interesting characters, Sapora (belonging to a race called Vakarian's who are feared throughout the lands) and of course Amarah the sky pirate. Eventually the three of them toget
Claire Hodges
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Been in a bit of a reading slump lately, picked up odd books at small local library but nothing really got my interest and felt more deflated each time. Went to a convention with some others and meet Author at stall, book sounded interesting and a series (love reading series') so brought them. Read the first one in 8hrs. Once I had picked the book up I struggled to put it down again. Its a fantastic read that really drew me in. I can't wait to read the next ones.
Rebecca Vale
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, where do I start?

So much adrenaline coursing through you whilst reading this, you get heartbreak but it's all for the greater good. I never get attached to characters whilst reading a book but I fell in love with every character.

A few tears were had but I knew they were coming.

Honestly cannot wait to read Palom.

L.L. McNeil is an amazing author and I would recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy
Laura W
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I cannot rate this book highly enough! The author manages to avoid all the usual tropes female fantasy writers seem to fall victim to. I was beginning to despair of the same formula of a peasant heroine being chased around for an entire novel before anything exciting happens in the closing chapter.

Moroda avoids all of this by delving straight into the action. The world building is deep, but not so much that it becomes confusing, and enough breadcrumbs are left scattered throughout the plot
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add books to my series 3 194 Oct 27, 2017 01:43AM

• Umbrae (The P.A.W.S. Saga, #3)
  • Londinium (The P.A.W.S. Saga, #4)
  • The Hatching (A short story)
  • Only the Worthy (The Way of Steel, #1)
  • Mother of the Chosen (The Mother of the Chosen #1)
  • Argentum (The P.A.W.S. Saga, #2)
  • First of Their Kind
  • To Kill a Fae (The Dragon Portal Book 1)
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Temple Chronicles #1)
  • Alistair (Tales from P.A.W.S., #1)
  • P.A.W.S. (The P.A.W.S. Saga, #1)
  • Bitter Aries (The Zodiac, #1)
  • Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights
  • Bloodless Assassin (The Viper and the Urchin, #1)
  • Black Orchid (The Viper and the Urchin, #2)
  • Unseen (The Unseen Trilogy, #1)
  • Slave City (The Viper and the Urchin #3)
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
Hello fellow book dragon! Thank you for visiting my author page. :)

My name is Lauren, I'm a fantasy author of character-driven stories and epic adventure. My books usually contain dragons, rarely feature romance, and are typically fun and hopeful.

If you’re looking for your next epic fantasy story, let me introduce you to the WORLD OF LINARIA! It’s a light-hearted, fast-paced fantasy adventure with

World of Linaria (6 books)
  • Palom (World of Linaria #2)
  • Amarah (World of Linaria #3)
  • Isa