Start by marking “The Ember Stone (The Last Firehawk, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ember Stone (The Last Firehawk, #1)

The Ember Stone

(The Last Firehawk #1)

A terrible darkness is spreading across Perodia. Thorn, a powerful vulture, is using dark magic (and his dark army of spies!) to destroy the magical land. A young owl named Tag may be the only one who can save it! Tag dreams of one day becoming a brave warrior, but he is small . . . In this first book, Tag and his best friend -- a squirrel named Skyla -- meet the last fire ...more
Published September 26th 2017 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Ember Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ember Stone

Isabella T.
This is a great book and i am in love with this series! I can't wait until i read the next one!
Andrew
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-chapter

A new children's series similar to Guardians of Ga'Hoole, but for younger readers. Cute illustrations, and I love anything with owls! My only problem with it is that Tag is described in the text as a barn owl, which he definitely isn't. Other than that, very cute and fun adventure book with more in the series to come.

Katelyn Patterson
The titles from Branches that I have read so far I have been pretty impressed with. Suspenseful fantasy to really hook young readers.
Michelle
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2018
3.5 Stars
The story is good but the art really elevates the reading experience.
zapkode
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
{My thoughts} – This is a new series to me through the Branches beginner chapter books that have been released through Scholastic. I wasn’t quite so sure about it because at first glance it appears to be a book geared more specifically towards boys. However, I quickly learned that the story within the pages can be geared towards both boys and girls as long as they are interested in reading about an adventure.

Tag is an owl that dreams to be one of the owls of Valor. He wants to be able to fight f
Anna Nesterovich
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Minus one star right away for being written after the Guardians of Ga'Hoole and not even having pictures in color. But the Guardians of Ga'Hoole actually make biological sense, here, on the very first page, we are introduced to our hero, "a young barn owl" with a recognizable picture of a Barred Owl nearby. Come on guys, Tito and Stryx actually do look different. The leader of the owls is an obvious Great Horned Owl named Grey, but he sounds like a Screech Owl. Great Horned wouldn't be caught de ...more
Josie Huang
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this is the best Children's English book that I ever read! I'm a student from Hong Kong, China. People at here often read Chinese book instead of English book. It is hard to find an English book for me to read. However, one day, I find this book!
The Last Fierhawk: The Ember Stone is about a powerful vulture named Thorn is using dark magic to destroy the land of Perodia. Only the brightest magic in the magical Ember Stone can beat Thorn. Tag, a small owl who lived in Perodia, and his best
Lorie
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
In the first book of the Last Firehawk series, friends Tag the owl, Sklya the squirrel, and Blaze the firehawk are brought together to find the first piece of the Ember Stone on Fire Island. They must find all the pieces of the Ember Stone to save their Kingdom of Perodia from the evil vulture Thorn and the henchman he sends after them.

This illustrated beginning chapter book from Scholastic’s Branches line will appeal to newly proficient readers on a second grade reading level who are looking to
Barb Dixon Palmieri
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tag, Skyla and Blaze set off on a long journey to find all the pieces of the Ember Stone. They are being hunted by the evil and powerful Thorn who wants the Ember Stone for himself. Their bravery helped retrieve the first piece of the stone. How will they find the other 3 pieces of stone?

This is the first book in the series by Katrina Charman. I was pleasantly surprised at how this story drew me in. The book is a 2nd grade reading level and was written for the 1st-3rd grader. It's a suspenseful
Joel K
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Initially, I was not enthusiastic about a fantasy world built of talking owls and a villainous vulture, but by the end I was as eager for the next chapter as my 3 and 5-year-olds. This is an unusually exciting book for either early readers, or early read-aloud chapter books. The fantasy world may seem a bit much at first, but this author manages to whittle down a typical adventure store into its most essential parts and has managed to package the excitement of a great journey read into an option ...more
Donna
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a Branches Book from Scholastic aimed at newly independent readers. This is a series of friends, owls and squirrels, fighting Thorn, the vulture for a variety of prizes. In this book they are looking for the Ember Stone. The drawings on the pages are really nicely done. Having read another of the stories in this series, the language and situations are similar so will be familiar to emerging readers.
Lynn
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Designed for newly independent readers, this is the start of an adventure/magic series feature Owls, mice, tiger Bats and an evil Vulture.

I read this in galley but even this was very inviting with dark well-defined text, short chapters and really outstanding illustrations by Jeremy Norton. Sentences are a bit longer and include short phrases and descriptions. Most of the vocabulary is easy to decode.

Will test this on 7-year-old reader next week.
Mary McGregor
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our first Branches book! Friends have recommended these as our first foray into chapter book reading. Unlike others we’ve tried, this book held both of our attention and the story was understandable and easy for my little to follow. This is a great stepping stone that makes my new reader feel like a “big kid” during story time each night although we’re far from done with picture books. We plan to continue the series!
Cristina Mrozek
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is on our SSYRA, Jr. list for the 2018-19 school year. It was the last of the K-2 books that I wanted to read & it really took me a long while to pick it up & just do it. Once I did, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I really enjoyed the writing. It really engages the reader & drew me in with the suspense. The illustrations bring the story to life & add another dimension to the reading. I would definitely recommend this book for early chapter book readers.
Kirsten Yates
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mr7 and I both love The Last Firehawk: The Ember Stone. We read it quickly the first time then went back to savour the adventure straight away. This book has become a regular reread in our family. Exciting enough for everyone (hey, we loaned it to GRANDPA) and simps enough for Mr7 to read independently. A fantastic book!
Pamela Powell
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Branches imprint from Scholastic indicates early reading chapter books. The books contain more illustrations than a typical chapter book, but they are definitely more than picture books. This particular series, The Last Firehawk, is a fantasy following a young owl, squirrel and a baby firehawk as they attempt to save their forest. This first book, is a good introduction to the series.
R.
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I were rating this for myself, it would only get 2 or 3 stars. However, because of the effect on my son, I'm giving it 5 stars for him, so an average of 4. For only the second time in his life (Elephant and Piggie being the other), my son is excited about reading. It has always been a struggle to get him to read, and now he's going off to read on his own... not because we've told him to, not because he's trying to earn brownie points, but because he is in love with the books. So, as an adult, ...more
LibAssistantSWFL
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tag and Skyla, an owl and a squirrel are attempting to save there homeland, Perodia in this anthropomorphic early chapter book. With the help of a few of there friends, They travel to fire island to find the Firehawk and the Ember Stone. There is a resourceful map and black-and-white illustrations throughout the story.
Nicola
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Simple fantasy adventure story for young readers. First in a short series.

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Sherrie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book 15 of 15 read of the SSYRA Junior titles for the 2018-2019 school year. This early reader chapter book is a perfect entry point to the fantasy genre, and the story is wonderful and engaging. I immediately put the rest of the series on hold at the library, I can’t wait to find out what happens next! This would be an excellent read aloud, highly recommended!
Maximilian Lee
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I kind of liked this book because the story was very exciting and fun, but the writing style was kind of "simple". The story is about an owl, a squirrel, and a firehawk. Firehawks are rare birds that have the power of fire. In this book, the characters find the first piece of the ember stone. The ember stone is a stone with great power.
Alex
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because I like golden eggs. I also enjoyed this book because I liked the part when a firehawk hatched from a golden egg. I also enjoyed this book because I liked the part when they found the first piece of the ember stone.
MistyDawnOx
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zeke and I really enjoyed the start to this series. There are awesome illustrations on almost every page and it added to the fun. He is definitely excited to read the second book and this makes me a very happy Mama.
Jenny
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
A good choice for young kids who want a fun, good vs evil fantasy book. I did have some issues with parts of the book that I think even young children would point out, like all the traveling that an owl seems to do on foot. I was not a fan of the art in the book.
Lauren
This book is a great book for students transitioning to become chapter book readers. The gorgeous illustration and dialogue make this book accessible for many readers. Readers will root for Tag, a small owl, as he strives to become a powerful Owl of Valor.
Karen Arendt
A solid fantasy early chapter book for young readers.
Hillary
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great lower level chapter book series. It's full of adventure, friendship, perseverance, and believing in yourself. I'm exciting to share it with my class and for the rest of the series!
Vincent Giunta
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging. My son and I are hooked.

Great fun...very exciting for my 6 year old. We felt like we were part of the adventure with Tag and Skyla
Christine
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-w-ryan
Ryan & Mom: ⭐⭐ ...more
Jen
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
my son is really into owls lately and we found this book by recommendation of a Barnes and Noble associate. He really loved the book and now is on to book two.

• Sam Battles the Machine! (Eerie Elementary, #6)
  • Jelly Bean (Shelter Pet Squad, #1)
  • The Dragonsitter (Dragonsitter, #1)
  • All Paws on Deck (Haggis and Tank Unleashed #1)
  • My Heart Is Laughing
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • Big Bad Detective Agency
  • The Mysterious Moonstone (Key Hunters #1)
  • Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken (Chicken Squad Misadventure #2)
  • Fergus and Zeke
  • Warm Hearts Day (Owl Diaries, #5)
  • The Case of the Mixed-Up Mutts (The Buddy Files, #2)
  • Emma and the Blue Genie
  • The Missing Heir (The Sherlock Files #4)
  • James to the Rescue (The Masterpiece Adventures, #2)

The Last Firehawk (7 books)
  • The Crystal Caverns (The Last Firehawk #2)
  • The Whispering Oak (The Last Firehawk #3)
  • Lullaby Lake (The Last Firehawk #4)
  • The Shadowlands (The Last Firehawk #5)
  • The Battle for Perodia (The Last Firehawk #6)
  • The Cloud Kingdom (The Last Firehawk #7)