Start by marking “Abandon” as Want to Read:
Abandon

Abandon

‘India has found its Ferrante’ — Niven Govinden

“And I struggle to find my place in this dark novel. I yearn for passion and despair – for that is what makes good literature – while Ishwari seeks a life of joy for herself and her son.”

A powerful novel about a woman who runs away from home, seeking to free herself from the shackles of society and familial attachments, and
Published October 6th 2017 by Tilted Axis Press (first published January 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Abandon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abandon

Start your review of Abandon
Callum McAllister
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I say this every time, but this was one of the best that Tilted Axis have published so far. I much preferred it to Panty. It seemed more formed and mature, still exploring those same themes: how to be an artist, motherhood, sickness. Also, I do love a self-referential narrative.
Manab
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Manab by: Shrobona shafique dipti
Shelves: fiction, in-bangla
আমার মশাই বেশ লাগছে।
এই বই পডার সময কিছু জাযগায এত বাজে লাগতেছিলো, বিশেষ করে বুবু নামের লোকটার বাসায কমবেশি যা হয। এই উপনযাস যদি একটা লেখার রূপক হয, তাহলে ঐ বাসা হচছে লেখার বযরথতাগুলি, অনতত আমার জাযগা থেকে যদি বলি।
বযরথতাই বা বলি কী করে। ঐ জাযগাগুলি পুরা সাননদার গলপ একেকটা! গডনে, মননে, ভেতরে ভেতরে!
কিনতু লেখিকার একটা ধারণার হাবভাব পাইলাম, তিনি ঈশবরী নামের চরিতরে নিজেকে জুডে দিযে, এবং পুরো গলপটাকে একটা আলাদা পরলেপ দিযে অদভূত একটা জাযগায নিযে গেছেন। অনযদের কেমন লাগবে জানি না, পরযাস হিসেবে ভালো বলতে
enricocioni
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Abandon--the story of Ishwari and her son Roo, as they try to build a new life together after a long period of separation--is one of those books that are so good I was for a long time discouraged from reviewing it. How could I possibly do it justice? The imagery is so strange and wild, the ideas so electric, that it seems that the only way to convey the book's brilliance is to copy it out in its entirety. The opening paragraph alone is a masterclass, immediately pulling you into the story, ...more
Shelley Rose
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story digs its claws in from the first pages and holds onto you until long after it is over! The book deals with the artist’s dilemma of balancing one’s passions with one’s social-familial obligations. Must an artist -- especially a woman artist -- sacrifice one for the other? Abandon’s narrator takes on two different personas: one of “I”, a writer dedicated to pursuing her art and romance and freedom, who is burdened by the presence of Roo, the son she already once abandoned; the other is ...more
Niv
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abandon is a very underground, intense work in Sangeeta's signature stark and straight-forward style, as I gather (this is my first read from this author). It is a detour from popular fiction and philosophy and boldly walks down dark alleys of human nature, a woman's predicament with motherhood - that it is a choice and not a duty which is what the society expects. The writing style goes through seasons of matter-of-fact narration, thoughtful inspiration brooding and ironic metaphors. ...more
Ankita Chauhan
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absorbing read with beautiful prose.
Michelle
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiza Pathan
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roo made my heart bleed.
Chidambaram
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
after a long time i chose this bengali translation. loved it
Janday
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A woman attempting to release herself from males whose literal health depend on drawing on her limited life and love force. Powerful and moving and pitch black.
Holly
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I think being alive is nothing but watching my own life as much as it can be watched.
Shrobona  shafique dipti
Sep 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• L'Evénement
  • Sono il fratello di XX
  • Dreamscape (The Poetic Underground #3)
  • Roads to Berlin
  • Berta Isla
  • O Teu Rosto Será o Último
  • The Topeka School
  • Glitch
When Panty was first published in Bengali, it created a furore—a reaction that is par for the course for Sangeeta Bandyopadhyay.

Her controversial first novel Shankini made for an explosive debut.

Since then she has published nine novels and over fifty short stories. Also a newspaper columnist and a film critic, Sangeeta lives and writes in Kolkata.