Start by marking “Fionn: The Adversary (Fionn mac Cumhaill, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fionn: The Adversary (Fionn mac Cumhaill, #3)

Fionn: The Adversary

(Fionn mac Cumhaill #3)

Ireland 198 A.D.
The druid Bodhmhall and her nephew Demne have survived a bloody ambush but the cost has been substantial. The Ráth Bládhma allies have been decimated, the ragged survivors strung along the banks of an isolated river valley.

And their pursuers are closing in.

Seeking refuge at the fortress of Dún Baoiscne, Bodhmhall must confront her own turbulent history and
Published February 28th 2017 by Irish Imbas Books

To ask other readers questions about Fionn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fionn

Morgan
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The third volume of Brian O’Sullivan’s excellent series picks up the story – and the tension – shortly after the cliffhanger ending of the second volume. For me, the highlight of the story was learning more about the druidess Bodhmhall, her past, and the circumstances behind her exile. We meet her formidable father, Tréanmór, and get entangled in the political machinations of Dún Baioscne. And, of course, the mysterious Adversary is finally revealed.

The best thing about this series is that it’s
Brenda Skelton
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finally I had enough time to sit and read uninterrupted! I knew once I started this 3rd instalment of the series I wouldn’t want to put it down and I was right!
I enjoyed this book just as much as the first two. The story unfolded at a slower pace continuing on from the end of the 2nd book. In this book you get more details of Bodhmall’s past, see a different side to Liath Luachra and the identity of the Adversary is revealed. Fantastic writing as always.
I love the character of Fiacail mac Codhn
Cree Ganmoryn
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm enjoying these books immensely! I'm not a book critic so the intricacies of nuances in that respect aren't something I'm familiar with. I love adventure, Irish mythology, historical fiction and learning new Gaelic words. This series has all of that combined into a thrilling and fast-paced journey through the past. Thank you Brian O'Sullivan!
Jonathan O’Mara
“Fionn: The Adversary” is the third book in the saga of Fionn macCumhaill, better known to non-Irish speakers as Finn McCool, the legendary Irish hero. In this volume, O’Sullivan keeps up the suspense and intrigue he so masterfully established in the first two books. Once more, we are transported to second century Ireland, a land of icy streams, fetid bogs, craggy hills, impenetrable forest, and scattered hill forts. Taking a central role is young woman warrior, Liath Luachra, a sort of fierce A ...more
Finbarr
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Following on in the immediate aftermath of the cliff-hanger that ends the previous instalment, we revisit the adventurers who (minor spoiler alert, but you know at least 2 of these characters will be alive at the end!) have been split up in the Great Wild. Again, it’s a visceral thrill ride as obstacles need to be overcome, enemies need to be disposed of and the adversary still needs to show themselves. With the protagonists well and truly established at this point, there is a feeling of checkin ...more
Mike Thompson
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book 3 of the Fionn series, takes us back into the dark and dangerous landscape of ancient Ireland. The pace of the storytelling is a little more subdued than previously and Liath Luachra, the young woman warrior, has mellowed somewhat, however she remains ruthlessly efficient when it comes to dispatching her enemies. But who exactly are her enemies, and who are her friends? A good read, I enjoyed it immensely.
Louise Mulligan
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am absolutely hooked on this series. I enjoy the historical/legend based context - it feels like reading fantasy. The landscapes, the excitement of pursuit and war are all aspects that make this series a great read. The Adversary tells Bodhmall's story and introduced some interesting new characters, particularly the Five Friends. Liath Luachra the heroine of the series is as intriguing as ever. This series gets better with each new book.
Kani
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Again like the previous books I couldn't put it down. With every book I want to know more and more about the characters past. I can't wait for the next installment.
Agnes Conway
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great series, I'm enjoying each book even more than the last.
Ben
Whitney Smith
Apr 03, 2017
Nat Murphy
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Fionn series takes a step up with this book in terms of politics and revelations. The machinations and strategic game-playing between Bodhmhall and her father were a real highlight for me as was the revelation as to why she had to leave Dun Baoiscne. The flight and fight sequences with Liath Luachra are as exciting as ever but the discovery of the Adversary's identity was a real surprise. So much revealed and yet so much more to learn. Please hurry with the next in the series!
Neville Dick
Shelley
Aug 03, 2018
Doreen
Aug 15, 2018
Brian O'Sullivan was born in county Cork, Ireland. On completing a degree at University College Cork, he went on to travel extensively. He is now based in New Zealand with his family but returns to Ireland on a regular basis.

Brian writes fiction that incorporates strong elements of Irish culture, language, history and mythology. These include literary short stories (The Irish Muse collection), my

Fionn mac Cumhaill (3 books)
  • Fionn: Defence of Ráth Bládhma (Fionn mac Cumhaill, #1)
  • Fionn: Traitor of Dún Baoiscne (Fionn mac Cumhaill, #2)