Start by marking “Song of the Space Siren (Space Team, #4)” as Want to Read:
Song of the Space Siren (Space Team, #4)

Song of the Space Siren

(Space Team #4)

"On par with Douglas Adams" - Readcommendations

Cal Carver and his Space Team may have lost their ship, but they haven't lost their knack for attracting trouble.

Just hours after setting foot on a new planet, Cal and the crew find themselves caught up in an interplanetary kidnapping plot. Reuniting the suspiciously-silent young victim with her parents on their far-off home

Published March 17th 2017 by Zertex Books

To ask other readers questions about Song of the Space Siren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of the Space Siren

Wing Kee
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
That was fun.

World: The world building is solid. Once again building on the tropes of the genre and spinning it on it's head. The new locale and the new alien race was interesting and not wholly new but still fun.

Story: Great pacing and humor. Banter once again was awesome. I laughed out loud when Cal had his gun at the start. The series is good. It knows what it is, it's self aware and it's just out to have a good time.

Characters: Interesting new characters and fits the genre to a T. Not a l
Soo
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
Mini-Review:

I don't ever expect this series to be all that serious because the overall tone is very light but it has surprising depth in the characters, world and layers of humor. The general play of events make you think that the cast and plot is fairly straight forward. Then all of the details pile up into this intricate whole that draws out real reactions. Some responses surprise me because I didn't think I would feel or think that way.

I like it! Action, idiotic humor and the zest to do the
Shane Phillips
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is just plain funkin fun
Meenaz Lodhi
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think Space Team is better than Firefly., and I can clearly imagine a TV show, wouldn't it be great! I do hope this series goes on and and on and......
Madam J
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great entry in the SPACE TEAM series. That said, this was not as good as the first three in terms of pacing. The middle suffered from some repetition, which didn't grind the story to a halt, but did result in some minor skimming on my part.

The plot was average, though there seems to be no end to the interesting characters Hutchison can develop. The main characters, and increasingly "the entity", continue to develop, mature, and get their hooks into the reader.

There were fewer laugh-out-l
Michael
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I figured it out while reading this book. Hutchison is an absolute pro, at ending each chapter, or paragraph break with a small cliff hanger. I say to myself, ok I'll finish this chapter and go do this, or finish this chapter and go to sleep, you get the picture. Every time I get to the end of one of those though, I find myself screaming, WHAT HAPPENS?!! So I can't stop reading right there, I have to keep plowing on and find out what happened. I can't say that every single chapter in all the boo ...more
Douglas Owen
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Song of the Space Siren is Book Four of Space Team. Today we learn about BANOFFEE PIE! The team also saves a young girl, meets the creator of their current ship, and Cal gets a stomach ache.

Okay, not really as high jinks as it sounds, but you get the picture. Like the books prior (see one, two, and three), this book contains a lot of cliches, tongue in cheek comments, and silly things happening.Our hero, Cal, is constantly hungry until he is introduced to the replicator. Yes, you got it. It make
Mike Crate
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, humour, kindle
The Space Team are back together although the loss of the Shatner was a blow but they do have a new ship and maybe a new member of the crew, that still has to be decided but so far he seems to be fitting in. The team take on a new job, it's small and maybe beneath them but an hour or so later they are surrounded by dead bodies, blood and gore and one young child who had been kidnapped but on the plus side there is a reward for returning her to her people. Of course with a million credit reward a ...more
Teri Miller
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who wouldn't love Space Team? Well, bad guys of course.

And Spider Dragons, cannibal loving rock men, the evil empire who brought Cal into space in the first place. Although I don't know why they should complain, cause after destroying earth to hide the kidnapping of Cal, I kinda think they got what they deserve.

So in this latest installment our stalwart team discover a kidnapped girl in a building coated in blood and gore, delicious pie, a dark and spooky castle full of helpful clones who turn m
Jeff Willis
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is quickly becoming my favorite book series of the past few years. Each installment is funny, exciting, interesting, and keeps me reading from cover to cover (or listening from beginning to end). I really appreciate the way the author continually brings back past characters and wraps them into new adventures, and constantly surprises with his creativity and sense of humor. I highly recommend this entire series.
Trevor
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have a job, don't mind it going fonking wrong, you can hire the Space Team!! The team return, this time with a new ship and a new crew member, the slightly forgetful and maybe mad ships AI, Kevin. Cal and team try to reunite a kidnapped girl with her family, but nothing is ever easy and straight forward when the Space Team are involved!! Another good book, with Kevin being a good addition to the team.
Patrick
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still funny

Same comments as for the other books. They are fun and there is a whacky internal logic that elevates it above pure slapstick. It so reminds me sometimes of Howard the Duck.

I may just read the whole series for awhile. The crazy story logic in this series is more engaging than the stories it makes fun of.
Sue
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very funny stories in this series... this one is no exception. I love the characters and the plots always take you places where you haven't been before. This author is very creative and I plan to keep buying the rest of the series. Well worth the cost, since I couldn't find them in my library system.
Jack Gee
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am loving this series. Totally idiotic pleasure.

Each book in the series seems to better the last. If you are looking for an epic Pulitzer Prize contender, this ain't it. For pure, laugh out loud fun, you are in right place. Ignore the electronic version grammatical goofs and just have fun with it.
Sandy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a little frustrated that NOBODY on the space team thought of the OBVIOUS solution for the big baddie, but I did like that the final overall solution was not what I expected, and didn't actually add to their enemy count. Despite myself, this team is growing on me, and I'm enjoying their various adventures, even though they are completely ridiculous.
Rich
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely worth it.

Exceedingly fun escapist sci-fi with likeable characters getting into great situations that they seem to manage to make much... much worse before they get better. I haven't read a bad one yet but I'll keep reading until i do. Great books. Fun books and worth every nickel and minute.

Three thumbs up.

(The third was Splort. I've only got two.)
Gary Blevins
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've now finished my fourth book in the series and I have but one thing to say,

I fonkin' love this shizz!!!! (If you're a fan and have your Zertex translator installed you'll understand).

Another great book in the series. The characters are great. The chemistry, comedy and hi-jinks are awesome.

If you're read the others you'll love this one.
Jeanne Fleming
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some great stuff here!

I'm a great fan of Douglas Adams, so you know I'm one who loves the ridiculous. I'm loving this series so far. Cal and his inept crew of aliens roam the galaxy, rescuing the good guys and fighting the bad guys, giving me snickers and snorts and laugh out louds along the way. I can hardly wait to see where they're going on their next adventures.
Sonia
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a MASSIVE sci-fi fan, but oh how I love Space Team and all who belong to her. The characters are developing nicely - and they're a great cast of misfits. The plots are well thought out and not at all obvious. And they're hilarious. Definitely British humour.

And Phil Thron narrates the audio books PERFECTLY :)
Virginia Saxman
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good clean intergalactic fun!

Action, horror, sarcasm, tomfoolery, hijinks, science, mystery, some bad puns and an all out assault on my personal time management. Well done sir, well done.
Y.I. Washington
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
What Would Cal Carver Do?

Space-Opera Comedy (that's actually funny) with a genuine plot, thee dimensional characters, amazing world building and, Splurt. You can't ask for a better combination.
Gareth Hogan
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.

This is the best book of the series so far. I've not been able to stop reading them for the last two weeks. Not just a successor to Terry Pratchett, but the books have a great and original voice.
Robert Lee
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The A Team! (Or maybe F troop?)

Do you like your humor served hot, with a side of crude? Do you enjoy nonsensical adventures where the good guys win, despite staggering odds and odd staggers?
Then read this book.
David Solove
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I continue to enjoy the Space Team series. Fun adventures with characters that I immensely enjoy. Looking forward to continuing on with the series.

That being said, this book was desperately in need of proofreading. Riddled with typos and mistakes that were, unfortunately, distracting.
Elissa St.
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and heart warming

Loving this series. Starting the next book right away.

Only one recommendation for the author: have your editor proof grammar and word choice just a little better.

Other than that, bring on more space adventures with The Space Team!
Jerry D.
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hate getting hooked on a series, but...

The first in this series was sort of Douglas Adams humor meets space punk opera.
This one kicks it up a notch to Terry Pratchett meets Douglas Adams in a space adventure concieved by Robert Silverberg.
I'm unabashedly hooked. Damnit.
Deborah
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series!

This series is like a space messed up Scooby doo adventures meets Seinfeld. I like the humor and misfit camaraderie. I find the story is unpredictable. I like the writing style. I mean really how can a glob of green goo be so fonking adorable.
Dan Rourke
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Started with humor morphed into stories

I started reading these books for the excellent snarky humor. But after reading several. I find my appreciation for the plotting to be growing. Really nicely written fun stories.
Anthony Hopkins
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

I completely stopped reading two other series to read just THIS one, and that’s not a bad thing. I can’t stop reading the Space Team Series. Barry you’re awesome dude, keep writing please.
glyn jackson
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Song of the space siren

I think I jumped a book but the story line is up there with the rest. A few typo errors but still enjoyed it. Definitely inately connecting with the characters. Miz is funny.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Book of Ralph
  • Larry Goes To Space
  • The Right to Arm Bears (Threadbare #3)
  • Orphans In the Black
  • Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra
  • Viable (Cody Doyle #1)
  • Independence Day: Silent Zone
  • Hierax (Star Guardians, #4)
  • Kinesis (Kinesis  #1)
  • The Shadow Order (The Shadow Order, #1)
  • Life First (Life First #1)
  • Deep Crossing
  • 4d6 (Caverns and Creatures)
  • SODIUM Harbinger (SODIUM, #1)
  • A Slave in the Locked Lands (The Weirdest Noob #2)
  • Countdown: The Doomsday Playbook Introductions
  • Discovery of the Saiph (Saiph, #1)
  • Bait Dog (Atlanta Burns #1.2)
Barry J. Hutchison is an award-winning author, screenwriter and writer of comics. Having written over 70 books for children and teenagers, Barry is now writing books for adults. Space Team is his first grown-up novel.

Barry lives in the Highlands of Scotland with his wife, two children, and irritatingly upbeat dog.

Space Team (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Space Team (Space Team, #1)
  • The Wrath of Vajazzle (Space Team, #2)
  • The Search for Splurt (Space Team, #3)
  • The Guns of Nana Joan (Space Team, #5)
  • Return of the Dead Guy (Space Team, #6)
  • Space Team: A Lot of Weird Space Shizz: Collected Short Stories (Space Team, #6.5)
  • Planet of the Japes (Space Team, #7)
  • The Time Titan of Tomorrow (Space Team, #8)
  • The King of Space Must Die (Space Team, #9)
  • Space Team: Sting of the Mustard Mines (Space Team, #10)
“With a resigned sigh, Cal leaned across the table and took a bite. And suddenly there she was. His mom, her fingers sticky with caramel, her apron dusty with flour, her smile for him and him alone. He chewed the pie, but didn’t taste the sweetness. He tasted home. He tasted safety and warmth and love. He tasted every time his parents had held him, or hugged him, or read him a story and tucked him in. Cal’s” 0 likes