Start by marking “La bugia perfetta” as Want to Read:
La bugia perfetta

La bugia perfetta

Quando Cassie Jensen arriva nel reparto di terapia intensiva al St Catherine’s Hospital, Alice Marlowe, l’infermiera che si occupa delle sue cure, ne rimane inspiegabilmente affascinata. Quella fragile donna è stata trovata gravemente ferita in un canale lungo la strada, investita da un’auto pirata, ma il suo cuore nasconde qualcosa di tormentato e oscuro. Nello stesso rep ...more
Published February 9th 2017 by TimeCrime (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about La bugia perfetta, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amy Payne I took it to be Frank.

Diane S ☔
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Appearances can be so deceiving. Alice is the head nurse on a constant care ward. Frank, one of her patients is thought to be a hopeless case, unresponsive, in a vegetative state, only Alice believes Frank is in there somewhere. Cassie, a young woman is in a coma, a victim of a hit and run. Her husband and mother in law are devastated, and then there is a further revelation that sends them reeling.

I thought this was quite well done. Alternating chapters send us back into the past of Cassie and J
Linda
"My fear woke up in me then. It crawled from the pit of my stomach, and uncurled itself. With cold tentacles it crept into the rest of my body."

Yep, fear takes over in this one like a giant slab of burger balancing on the precipice of a very diminutive bun. A weighty proposition, with perhaps, an upended result.

The wheels creak continuously on the cart that carries Cassie Jensen into her assigned unit in the intensive care ward of St. Catherine's Hospital. It gets the attention of Frank in the n
Shannon
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew it!!!! Actually, I didn’t. The thought crossed my mind though!

Oh my goodness. If You Knew Her by Emily Elgar was so so good! It was mysterious, EMOTIONAL, and clever! We get three different POVs all told mostly in a hospital setting, which I loved!

Alice is a nurse on the 9b ward. She works hard and takes good care of her patients. Her patient, Frank, can still hear and see but can’t speak or move enjoys Alice’s company. She talks to him about everything, hoping to see some change in poor
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Alice lives her days and/or nights as the ward nurse for 9B. She uses Frank, a patient with locked-in syndrome (he can hear and see things around him but cannot speak or move), as her therapist of sorts, talking to him daily about her life and hoping to see some life from him one day.. though they're convinced at the hospital that he's in a permanent vegetative state.

In comes Cassie, a victim of a hit and run, now in a coma. Finding out that Cassie is with child sends Alice reeling a bit as she
Rachael
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is the intertwined stories of Alice, head nurse on a ward for comatose patients, Cassie, a woman brought into the ward after a hit and run, and Frank, an alcoholic who is locked into his body following a stroke.

There are inevitable comparisons here with 'Rubbernecker' by Belinda Bauer, which also takes place in a coma ward, but the stories are very different even though I loved them both as much as each other.

I really think the less said about the storyline here, the better, but it i
Liz Barnsley
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tense and addictive psychological thriller with 3 separate, unique and absorbing voices. Full review to follow for the blog tour.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
This novel reminded me of some of Tess Gerrisen's novels, in the sense that it was a medical/crime/thriller. It is most definitely not a police procedural, as the police rarely feature. I think this helped this book stand out at a time when the genre is hugely popular.

The novel revolves around 3 central characters
Anne- the slightly obsessed workaholic nurse that runs ward 9B.
Cassie - the main character & victim of the attack, who is in a coma on ward 9B.
and Frank - A fellow patient on ward
Karen Whittard
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley, Little brown book group plc and Emily Elgar for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance reader copy of this book.

You can find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On Goodreads from today under Karen Whittard and on Amazon under k.e.whittard from publication date.

If you like crime books do not miss this one. I think that this one stands out from the crowd because instead of being cantered around the police it is about
DeAnna
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars!!! I really enjoyed this book!!! A great read!!!
Bridget
3.5 stars. Down half a star for being a bit predictable. It didn’t wow me but was still a pretty dang good read!
booksofallkinds
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How have I never heard of this book before now?!? A gripping psychological read, this story hooked me from the very first line and kept me on the edge of my seat to the last.

Centred around a hospital ward, we get to know Alice who is excellent at her job and really connects and cares about her patients. There is Frank who she believes is suffering from locked-in syndrome, even though her boss disagrees, and the close-knit group of staff who feel like family. But Alice is struggling with her per
Shalini
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy mystery/suspense novel. A light read..
Three main characters :
1) Alice, an ICU high dependency unit nurse and her two patients
2) Frank, with a tracheotomy and ventilator suffering from "locked in syndrome", post stroke and alcoholism
3) Cassie, a young wife with a head injury and coma, post a hit and run accident
The story revolves around the lives of all the three, Alice with her husband David and her inability to sustain her pregnancies. Frank and his relationship to daughter L
Lisa-Books Smiles
Aurora
If You Knew Her is a debut “psychological thriller” by Emily Elgar. I put psychological thriller in quotations because, to me, it didn’t quite hit that mark, although it was fairly gripping. The story is told from 3 different perspectives:

1. Alice, who is a nurse working on 9B, an ICU/HDU type ward. She’s a highly experienced nurse who is also dealing with the struggle of trying to get pregnant.

2. Frank, a patient on 9B who suffers from “locked-in syndrome”, a coma-like state in which the person
Lisa
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I enjoyed this psychological thriller. Not much more to say than that really!
I did predict the ending early on but that's because I've read so many books in the genre that I know what to look for - it was still a good read although nothing new to me.
Liz
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Emily Elgar’s debut novel. Told in multiple perspectives in both the present and past, this is a cleverly well-written debut. Started off a bit slow but the use of alternating perspectives always keeps me gripped. I would not quite categorize this as a psychological thriller but definitely a good, solid, suspenseful story nonetheless.
**3.75 stars rounded up!**
Kelsea
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start but the ending was definitely worth it all!
Sara
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want into it in the beginning but really ended up enjoying it!
Sarah Piper
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, giveaways
So full disclaimer: I received this as a Goodreads Free Giveaway ... so here is my honest review.

I did not love this book. But I also did not hate this book.

I felt like it had a good premise of a story that I kept hoping would get suspenseful and riveting but it just never got there for me.

I felt like the outcomes was a little predictable even with a couple twists mixed in ... it just never had me fully captivated.

And honestly I was disappointed by the entire ending for all three major voice
Pat
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh no not another coma patient story. Think again. This was quite different and quite fraught as Frank, who could hear everything, struggled with how to warn someone that Cassie was in danger. It was really very well done.
Chris Mara
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well done psychological thriller! The plot was quite different; told in alternating locations, however, the main location where I felt most of the action was happening, was in the hospital ward 9B of St. Catherine’s aka Kate’s.

9B is an Intensive Care Unit. Cassie, a beautiful young woman, married to Jack, is admitted and placed in this unit after a horrible accident. Frank, another patient on that unit, directly across Cassie’s bed, has something called the locked in syndrome. He can see and
Barbara Beswick
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a find this book was. Of all the books in all the bookshops, I chose you, and boy you didn't disappoint! The kind of story I devour in a couple of days, it has characters so believable, you actually know them. I swear! I know you Nurse Alice. You are the kind, lovely, trustworthy nurse everyone would choose to have as their carer. And you Jack. Alright, you're a bit of a mummy's boy, but you can be forgiven right? You're handsome, hard-working and devoted, - aren't you? The way the story's ...more
Jeanette
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not usually fond of stories that are told from two different points of view, let alone three. In this instance, it worked well. It also made a change for me to read a story that was based on a hospital, with the main characters being a Nurse (Alice), Frank (locked in syndrome) and Cassie (hit and run victim). It is clever how the story comes together. Very enjoyable!

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers. This is my honest review.
Eve
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thrillers & Suspense > Crime

This book is told from the POV of three of the main characters: Alice, Frank and Cassie.
Alice is a nurse on ward 9b in St Catherine's hospital which work with most critical patients. She and her husband desperately want a child but sadly all of her pregnancies end with miscarriage. So Alice concentrates her efforts on her job and her patients. One of her patients is Frank. He has been in a coma for a while and as he is in a vegetative state, then everyone has w
Trisha
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Not dead then, but not exactly alive."

A great tangled mystery of a story - told in three perspectives. We have Alice, a head nurse in a long term coma care ward. She talks to the patients, make sure they are comfortable and cares for them. She has real heart and hope and is very good at her job.

We have Frank, who's body is in a coma but who's mind is completely awake and taking in most of the day. He can't always see, can't even blink, but on the odd times that his eyes do open on their own, he
Autumn
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, arc

I received this book via Edelweiss+ to give an honest review.

Just reading the blurb is what made me want to read this book. Told by different people's point of view. We slowly learn what has lead up to Cassie being put in the hospital.
Alice is the nurse that tends to both Cassie and Frank and Alice is going through some things herself which we see in a way why she is wanting to take care of Cassie more than what a nurse would. It seems that Alice believes there is something more going on than m
Jodell
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psycho-thrillers
Dan
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping story of mystery when Cassie Jensen is admitted to the intensive care ward after being hit by a car and left for dead. Also, in the same ward is Frank, who has locked-in syndrome (can see and hear everything but cannot move). The head nurse Alice tends to these patients and becomes amateur sleuth when Cassie’s hit and run is more than what it seems. Told in each of these three characters’ point of view in rotating chapters, we learn so much about them. Although, not a fast paced novel ...more
Mica
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t really get into it. I don’t know if it was because I was in a time crunch to finish it but I just skipped to the ending chapters and still felt like I didn’t miss much. Not my cup of tea but what I did read I enjoyed just not enough to finish all the way through.
Ally