Start by marking “A Dash of Heat (Sweet Heat #2)” as Want to Read:
A Dash of Heat (Sweet Heat #2)

A Dash of Heat

(Sweet Heat #2)

Maggie Augustin just wanted something sweet. A bit of self-soothing, to take the edge off the loneliness and heartache she’d been quietly enduring. When she walks away from his food truck, box of beignets in hand, she has no idea that Rene St. Martin – not his pastries – is exactly the something sweet she wanted, with the little dash of heat she needs.

PLEASE NOTE that th
Published February 16th 2017

To ask other readers questions about A Dash of Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dash of Heat

Start your review of A Dash of Heat (Sweet Heat #2)
Skye Kilaen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful, comforting M/F romance novella about landscape designer Maggie Augustin falling for food truck owner and gardener Rene St. Martin. Both are African-Americans originally from New Orleans, and they initially bond over beignets, a food which I support wholeheartedly.

Maggie is still processing the emotional fallout from a bad ex-boyfriend, but more interestingly to me, she's a recovering jerk. She'd fallen in with a toxic group of "friends" who used Christianity to look down on people
Annette Williams
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maggie was judgmental and horrible in book one so, of course, I went into her story with major dislike for her. But, after getting a glimpse into her background, you get a better understanding of why she acted the way she did. Her first and second problem was her friendship with Vera’s crazy azz. Vera, pretty much, pulled a Jim Jones on Maggie. She listened to and held onto every single word Vera said like it was scripture. The only reason Vera was even hanging around Maggie is because, she want ...more
Teresa Mcmillian
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
More Than A Dash

I am enjoying this series the second time around. Magnolia was basically a witch to Cin in book one, and here we learn why she thinks the way she does. It was great getting more from Lan, Cin, and Pru.
Nicole
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Please excuse me while I read Christina C Jones’s entire backlist
Deena
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ma'am. MA'AM!!!

Loved the story! Wasn't a Maggie fan, but fell in love with her in this book. And Rene? He was perfection! Can I just say that I really, really, really wanted him (and Landry and Xavier) to lay hands on Calvin after he tried to air Maggie out at the opening? He deserved. For real.

Loved seeing Landry, Cin and Nutmeg, Xavier and Pru again. Couldn't decide what was up with Jamie, but I'm hoping we'll see her and Ben again. Can't wait for more from this crew.

But that ending! Almost
Tonetta Bullard
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heated!

This is the true redemption story!!!! I felt so sorry for Maggie... I saw flu of me in her. It saddened me to remember what made us similar. I’m so happy that Rene was the man to introduce her to better.
Paulette L. Jones
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To be young

Man to have your heartbroken and the fear of moving on....I have to say how much I fell for Maggie and love her "come back".
Kenya Creighton
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Queenkey918

Hopefully you write book about Pru and Ben And a book about Zav hope he find love sometime soon !!!
K.
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rene and the luckiest lady in the literary world, Maggie

I want to go to New Orleans, find a Rene, marry him and have beignet making babies. I loved this. Rene was the perfect hero. His affection was intentional, he was protective, and most of all he could COOK. I love a cooking hero.

I liked Maggie a LOT which was surprising since I couldn't stand her in Cin's story. But she owned up to her mistakes and became endearing to me. I wanted to be her friend and get her to sneak me beignets my waistl
Ryede
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Know Some Maggies

I hope we can all learn the lessons Maggie had to about internalized misogyny without having to lose friends or be used by an asshole.

Love Ms. Jones’s writing. I’m gonna be sad once I run out of books to read.
V. Rena
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet heat

I loved how this story unfolded. It was like a sweet heat. Even though Maggie was experienced, she was still naïve on a lot of things because she had no one to talk to about it. She had to let go of preconceived notions and to do what makes her happy. Enter Rene. He was the opposite of everything she knew and exactly who she needed. I enjoyed how their relationship developed and how he let her know that she's dealing with a grown man instead of little boys. I was also happy that Maggie
Kalia
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
One Chapter Short

One more chapter would have pushed this over into five stars for me. It didn't have to be a lot, just something to tie it up so that the ending didn't seem so abrupt. If I know Mrs. Jones' writing like I think I do, we will see more of these two and possibly get their HEA in a later full length novel (hopefully Xavier and Pru). While that's nice, it's not the same as seeing them reach that point through one of their POVs.
Wilki
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maggie and Rene was the right dash of heat! Maggie wasn't my fav heroines from her actions in the previous book but she grew on me like a too big sweater in the winter.
I'm happy to see Maggie redeem herself; heck, I even felt sorry for her because I could see a lot of the younger me in her. I loved the fresh faced innocence about her and how Rene was exactly what she needed when she didn't even want him. I wanted more of Rene's ahem, jambalaya! Hawt!
reneeNaDaBomb
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A Dash Of Heat (Sweet Heat Book 2)

Magnolia (lil' sister to Lan & Zav) is a lover of beignets from Rene's Home Grown food 🚚. These are her favorite pastries. She meets the sexy owner and the attraction is hot like 🔥! But what will her big brothers think of this guy named Rene St. Martin? Doesn't matter to Maggie once he shows her what trust and love from a man is like. Plus he can cook the pants off ya. Mmmm... Luv a man in the kitchen.
Xan West

This is a story that I wished had been longer. It felt like it was just getting started, and it was over. I liked the characters and cared about them, was rooting for them. I wish I had gotten to enjoy them as a couple.

Content Warnings (view spoiler)
Lee Holden, E.
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

Excellent read, I loved the storyline and the characters. As usual, Christina C. Jones is always on point and entertaining. She never fails to give you interesting insight to her characters personalities. I recommend you read every book she has written you won't be disappointed.
Pamelon
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short, hot and hilarious!

Magnolia and Rene got their story. It is short, sweet, hot and funny. The secondary characters are hilarious. The tension, chemistry and the storyline are great.👏👏💕
Denise Henry
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It just gets better

I am officially addicted to this author's books. I just can't get enough. I love how she develops a character from a previous book that I wanted to know about. I need more from the UG community.
Cherida Franklin
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it but it made me cry!!!

I hated the fact that she didn't have anyone to talk to about her feelings and that lowdown Vera was just using her all the time. Poor thing was so young and green, but then she met Rena. I like it when you call me lil mama!!!
Lindaisa
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't really feel that CCJ umph that I usually feel. it may be because I wasn't really feeling Magnolia based on how she was acting in Hints of Spic towards Cin....but it also could've been that the feels just weren't there ...more
J.
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Maggie needed real friends and I was glad she found that in Cin even though it took so long for them to move past what happened in book 1. Rene is exactly what Maggie needed. A. Real. Man. I wanted Rene to put hands on Calvin so bad
Stephanie Hamilton
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I like Rene and Maggie’s story. I liked the progression of their relationship and the feelings they eventually let be know. She had to let her insecurities go and once she did, Rene let her know what a grown man was about. Love it, short and hot!
Kenya
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book

Thus grown and sexy series just gets better and better. Little sister is growing up and establishing herself. Unsure and insecure because if a failed fling. Learning from her mistake and pushing forward leaving her baggage behind.
Dani Elle
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aiight Lil Mama!

Rene is a pretty sexy character and his willingness to be both supportive and strong with Maggie added some extra spice to this sexy short. Maggie also redeemed herself from book 2!
Tiffany
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sweet romance

This was another quick romance novella from Jones. I enjoyed the character development of the new and old characters from the previous book in the series. Excited to read the next installment.
Slipperyvowels
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heat indeed

Spicy and Juicy and totally awesome. Loved this one just as much as the first. Loved this story and can't wait to get to the next one. Christina definitely never disappoints.
Robinett Versey
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Way Makers

Both books were thorough, cohesive, realistic, and erotic. Each novella completed my expectation of genuine care and forgiving
hearts. Chris, you continue to touch my life with the best spices of love and romance. Thanks for being among the best top authors!
Jessica Terry
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It had me distracted (in the good way)

I was reading this when I was supposed to be doing other stuff, so it was definitely engrossing. There were a few small editing misses and the ending felt a little abrupt but overall, loved it.
Courtney Wolfe
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

ADOH is such a cute little story. I love both Maggie and Rene. I highly recommend this book. It's short and sweet.
Samona
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great short

This was a great short by CCJ, and i didn't expect anything but the best coming from her. Hope to get a update on these two one day.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sanctuary: A Noire Immortals Story
  • Whoa. (Oops!, #1.5)
  • Sign On: Nights Like This
  • Quitting Time: Nights Like This
  • the love galore mixtape
  • Loving Man
  • Going Down: Nights Like This Series
  • f*ck and fall in love (Friends and Lovers, #1)
  • Adjacent: A Building 402 Novella
  • The Closer I Get to You
  • Love in the Red Zone (Connecticut Kings, #1)
  • Eight Naughty Nights (New Year Bae-Solutions, #1)
  • Replacement: A Building 402 Novella
  • Displacement: A Building 402 Novella
  • Cancelling Plans: Nights Like This
  • No Strings: Nights Like This
  • Graveyard Shift: Nights Like This
  • Distracted

Sweet Heat (3 books)
  • Hints of Spice (Sweet Heat #1)
  • A Touch of Sugar (Sweet Heat #3)