Start by marking “The Rescuer” as Want to Read:
The Rescuer

The Rescuer

Christopher’s striking green eyes and handsome good looks didn't buy him happiness, but he learned to survive off of them to maintain his expensive lifestyle. Now, after he has nearly destroyed himself, he's in the fight for his life...

A Contemporary Gay Male Romance - Newly Released 2nd Edition

When Christopher Parker checks himself into the Watermeadow Rehabilitation Cen
Published February 16th 2017 by Eric Huffbind

To ask other readers questions about The Rescuer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rescuer

Gigi
Mar 02, 2017 marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me
Is it just me or does this blurb not make a lick of sense?
Janja
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice story.
JR
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet romantic story about making bad choices in relationships, or maybe looking for love in all the wrong places.

This is a debut book and there are times when it felt stilted and little less explanation, who have helped the narrative. I look forward to the next book by this new author, as he has good characterization and plot. I believe he will only improve with the more he writes.
Alexu
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: freebies
This is a story about finding love where you least expect it, about the journey to finding HEA from two perspectives: the desperation to finding Mr. Right, kissing one frog after another with no success, and the hard work to get yourself up when you've reached rock bottom, trusting yourself and others around you.
I can not say I really liked the style with which it was written (the over-use of the characters names distracted me from emotions and feelings described, giving me the impression of pe
Cadiva
Feb 23, 2017 added it
I'm not going to give this a rating because I'm only 5% in but I can't keep reading it because it's annoying the crap out of me atm with the stilted style and overblown dialogue and characters.
As it's a debut novel, I want to give it a fair crack so I'll try again later.
R
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
Jason is a rescuer. As a therapist, it's his job to help his patients heal. As a man he tries to fix the men he dates. It's never worked out well for him.

Alcohol has become Christopher's crutch. It gets him through each day. His life weighed down by his decisions, both past and present. He has enough sense left to check himself into rehab. Knowing if he continues this way, he won't survive.

When they meet, Christopher is at the lowest point in his life. Jason knows he can't rescue him. That the w
Lisa Reynolds
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Rescuer (2017) by Eric Huffbind is a wonderfully romantic and very beautiful novel.

The novel, which is the debut novel by the author, follows the story of Christopter Parker and Jason Calhoun. Christopher books into Watermeadow Rehabilitation Center and at this time he is at his lowest ebb trying to recreate a future for himself after getting hooked on alcohol in a midst of figures in his life letting him down and depression setting in in his life. There he meets Jason who is his social work
Lovinghotbooks1
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, kindle, m-m
*I was gifted this book from the author and freely give my review*

I really wanted to enjoy this book because the storyline is very good but the stilted writing and to much use of characters names made it not quite so enjoyable.

Descriptions of feelings are lacking in most of the story and I feel like it’s a naive writing style. When that’s said the story in itself is good and it was easy to read because it was so naive in the style.

Overuse of the characters name was one of my main reasons for not
DC
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really struggled with this one. I don’t like to not finish a book I’ve started but I almost gave up quite a few times. I found it quite tedious to get through to the end.
The biggest problem I had with this book was the dialogue. I felt like I was reading a script for a high school play or a children’s novel. There was nothing about the conversations that felt natural. It was all so formal and stilted and I kept thinking “who talks like that”? And to call the writing overly descriptive would be
Jim Dunaway
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story which tackles on ongoing problem that not only affects the gay community but all communities, and circumstances which forces people to experience this problem.

Not only does this story revolve around a gay man experiencing this problem, but also another gay man who helps the gay man with the problem, sometimes going above and beyond.

I found myself wanting to grab Christopher Parker and hold onto him tightly and do everything I could to help him with his struggles. He's a gre
Ricardo
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
1 1/2 stars

This book is a sequence of clichés and at times it almost felt like the author was making fun of the m/m couple in the book by how over the top their dialogue was or the descriptions used were. The way the author wrote it, the lines sound as real as a Leave It To Beaver episode (I kept having images of Wally Cleaver saying the lines in the book, that’s how over the top unreal they sounded)
Amy
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet

Christopher and Jason have both had their share of rough times, but that is not really an obstacle for them, even though Christopher is in rehab. The chemistry between them is pretty instantaneous. The author did a great job of not rushing the relationship between the two. The story was nice and I liked the interaction between the two. Unfortunately there is not a lot of depth to the characters. The verbiage the author uses is not something I’m used to and unfortunately it took me out of th
Rick Lunkenheimer
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Out of rehab comes a sweet romance

Alcoholic 27-year-old Christopher Parker checks himself into rehab to put his life back together. There, 30-year-old social worker Jason Calhoun cares for all of his patients, but the spark between Christopher and Jason is immediate.

Jason knows that the professional boundary cannot be crossed with patients, but also knows that Christopher needs to do a lot of work on himself anyway, and that his healing has to come from within. He cannot simply be “rescued” by J
Terri
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has an interesting story line, and I was curious to see how things would turn out. Christopher has many reasons for turning to alcohol, but now he has to learn how to cope without that crutch. Jason works at the rehabilitation facility where Christopher ends up, and he helps him work through his issues. At the same time, both men feel an attraction to each other. Christopher will have to prove he can stay sober and responsible before Jason can even consider a relationship with him.
My p
Sarita Chapdelaine
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
There are a lot of things I like about this book but I had a hard time getting past the stilted writing. At times I found it difficult to follow what was happening and the lack of a natural flow did not help at all. I do love the characters and the premise is excellent but I wish that the execution had been better. Christopher is hard to like in the beginning but once he confronts his family and we find out why he acts the way he does I found myself rooting for him to get better. He uses alcohol ...more
Suzanne
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is written in a realistic way. 27 year old Christopher checks himself into read when he realizes that alcohol has taken over his life. Christopher is gay. While in rehab he meets Jason who is the social worker assigned to his case. Jason is a 30 year old gay man. A journey behind with Christopher becoming sober and taking responsibility for his mistakes while dealing with his relationships such as parents, sibling, girlfriend and acquaintances. Christopher has a goodness about him that ...more
Dixiecowgirl
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The blurb is really great and it hooked me immediately on reading this story. I was excited to read this book, however i had a really hard time getting into this story. I attempted four times before i could read it. The writing style was difficult for me.

i see lots of other reviews that give it a glowing review and i am so glad that my experience was not shared by most other readers. I love the idea of this story and would love for this author to continue creating and writing. I will certainly
Melanie
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 3 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-dey

From that review: " I thought this story was sweet and showed promise but I had a hard time getting into the characters and story.  I think  that while you could understand the character's  problems and history, the manner in which it was "told" and the way in which his alcoholism and subsequent rehab were handled kept me at an emotional length."

For all our reviews, author intervi
Esther Alayeto
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet romance about finding love where and when you least expect it. Christopher uses alcohol as a crutch and it's his way to deal with his problems. Jason works at the rehab facility where Christopher ends up. They are very attracted to each other and have lots of chemistry but Christopher has to prove he can remain sober before Jason will even consider a relationship with him. It's not instant or quick, but eventually they find their way and it was wonderful seeing it build.
I volunta
Linda
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good story. the characters were rich and well rounded. The plot was interesting. It felt to as if Eric was telling me the synopsis of this story and not letting the book speak. The dialogue was a bit strained. For a first book it shows promise. I think That Eric needs to keep working on his writing, practice, practice, practice. I will keep my eyes open for his next book and see how his style develops.
An ARC was provided by the author for an honest review.
Tammy
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story of Chris and Jason. It had a nice pace to keep you reading along. The two had great chemistry. The Sam character was not a favorite of mine. The story build nicely and loved the ending. To me it didn't have a lot of down falls, just small spots here and there with Sam's character.
It was a very good happy reading type book.

Got ARC for an honest review.
Thank you for sharing your book with me.
Maria771
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Christopher and Jason. This is the first book I have read from Eric. Good storyline. I loved how the author took you on a sometimes painful journey. Full of emotional ups and downs. Some parts of the book needs a litlle work but overall a good book for a debut.

I received this book as an Arc.
Barbara M.
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Rescuer: Contemporary Gay Male Romance

WOW, absolutely amazing book. This book will be memorable, for everyone! This Author has you wanting more! I absolutely loved it, it's a beautiful love story, drama, excitement and secrets reviled! Definitely a must read, so many thanks, Honey Bee 🐝📚💙🎶
Kaila
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this.. im not sure but this might be the first work by this author ive read and i really liked his writing.. i am excited to read more by this author. the characters and their storyline is very well done and interesting. it kept me on the edge of my seat and curious to see what was next.
Nicole
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jason is a social worker who works with people who have dependency on drugs alcohol etc. Chris has signed himself into rehab to get over alcohol dependency. Was very emotional story at times. The struggle that both characters have been through and are going through are what many people suffer in their life. Was a good entertaining read.
Sonja Helies
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ahh romance

What a sweet romantic and some times funny story. I loved the characters of Jason and Christopher, they way the met and fall in love. It’s heartwarming to read something so sweet even if it isn’t your cup of tea. Kudos to a truly romantic author
John
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
It was a beautiful story, but as a therapist it was hard to overlook the blatant breech of professional ethics. Getting involved romantically with a client is a HUGE no-fly zone!
tammy rufo
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
christopher and jason are a wonderful couple...well they are eventually. this was an enjoyable read and i would def recommend it.
Bran Zesti
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg omg 5 stars.... no more like 10 stars!! This book was so Goodwood. A book that keeps you, and hold you. I mean I will be rereading it over and over again!!!
Kelly Wherritt
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Page Turner. I could not put this down. It was raw and beautifully written. I would totally walk through life with a love like Jason and Christopher's.
Eric Huffbind is a man of many talents. He is a hopeless romantic, licensed registered nurse, has been a travel agent, and the eternal social butterfly. Among his passionate interests are history, genealogy, romance, and travel. Like so many other individuals, he has a long bucket list. On the list, to no surprise, was writing a novel. He pulls from a lifetime of raw emotions: be it love, happines ...more