Start by marking “Lonely Planet The World: A Traveller's Guide to the Planet” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet The World: A Traveller's Guide to the Planet

Lonely Planet The World: A Traveller's Guide to the Planet

Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher

Every country in the world, in one guidebook: Lonely Planet's The World. A Traveller's Guide to the Planet.

We've taken the highlights from the world's best guidebooks and put them together into one 900+ page whopper to create the ultimate guide to Earth. This user-friendly A-Z gives a flavour of each country in the w
Published October 17th 2017 by Lonely Planet (first published November 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lonely Planet The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely Planet The World

Stephanie Shih
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mini encyclopedia when it comes to facts, figures and destinations by country. My favorite thing about the book: when I pick it up, I'm literally holding the world in my hands.
Ming Wei
Brilliant book, 2/3 pages each upon many countries, gives you plenty of details like population, climate, a great book, a very thick book, gathers all the countries in one place, only the odd island group were missing in my opinion. A book to keep hold of for the long term. Any negatives? this book does not go too much into depth on countries, if you want a more in depth book on a specific country, then read Lonely planets book for the country you wish. This book is a general over view. I really ...more
JunZhe
The best of every place of every country of every continent in the world!

This book aims to give the reader a gasp of what which country have to offer. Unlike most travel guides from lonely planet, this book is filled with beautiful graphics which inspires you to travel.

I find it interesting and meaningful that they include the population break down of every country, which really helps when you are preparing to travel.

P.S. I ordered it first hand on book depository right before it was released!
R.J. Vickers
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the ultimate travel guide, and exactly what I need when dreaming up new trips: plenty of gorgeous photos, a brief intro to each country, and a list of the must-see highlights. It's the perfect jumping-off point before diving into research on each specific destination.
C
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This was exactly what I'd hoped it would be - I've been travelling about once a year for almost 10 years now, I've already been to all of the places on my list where travel is fairly easy, so I was looking for guidance regarding which hard-to-get-to places are worth making an effort for, and also hoping to find some interesting but easy-to-get-to places I hadn't thought of yet.
There are some nice pictures but this is not a coffee table book, it's a practical travel guide - I particularly liked t
Sophie
The World is the guide to my Wanderlust. And I absolutely love it.

This Guide is something that every wanderer needs, not wants; actually needs.

From the writing to the pictures, the planning and the tips: it’s all helpful and inspiring.

I’m always going to be referring back to this ‘lonely planet’ hit, it’s everything I never knew I wanted to help curate the next perfect adventure.
Francesca
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. I loved learning about all the different countries. Obviously, in a massive book like this, they can't go into as much detail as they do in their other specific guides but they still point in the right direction in planning your travels.
Samantha
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really neat look at every country on earth. I wish each recommendation had a picture, but I understand there was no space as the book is already massive. I can't remember if it included Antarctica or the Faroe Islands, I would have to check, but I definitely added SEVERAL places to my bucket list.
Amanda
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of small quick blurbs about every country in the world (at the time of publishing). I found it interesting although obviously it didn’t dive too deep.
I liked the suggested books and/or movies suggested for some countries to give you more of an insight.
Karly
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Ongoing reading and re-reading, inspiring my travels and adventures.
Lyma
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5* obviously ;)
Izabela
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE BEST :)
Li Ling
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading this, I decided to put a post-it on the first page of each country I want to visit, and now I'm out of post-its and my Lonely Planet looks like a studybook.
Linda
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prachtig boek vol overviews van alle landen ter wereld. Vooral een hebbeding maar ook heerlijk om door te bladeren en inspiratie op te doen voor een volgende reis.
Jess Neuner
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
The World is more a traveller's encyclopaedia than anything else. There's an entry for every country on Earth, with the top things to do or see while there, essentially a snapshot of each country to give you an idea of where you might want to go next. It even gives a population breakdown, and lovely photos of each country, which I was very appreciative of, considering most books by Lonely Planet haven't got much in the way of images inside.

What I liked best was that every country was featured,
Pat
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book delivered everything a 'travelholic' like myself could wish for. It detailed the highlights of every country in the world plus a few interesting facts, and for particular destinations picked out a few snippets on food, music, customs and recommended films and books. An ambitious undertaking, successfully achieved. Just a couple of tiny niggles. Some of the writing was a bit too self consciously 'hip' and to an old fogey like myself sometimes jarred. This is a criticism I would level at ...more
Anne - Marie Rose
When people saw this book on my shelf they immediately laughed and asked me why the hell I had bought a lonely planet guide to 'the world' followed hastily by them reading through it and looking up countries of interest. Like most people, I don't get to travel as much as I'd like so when I do get the opportunity I like to spend time researching different places and making sure I pick somewhere I will really love and get the most out of. This book is a great starting point as it gives you a simpl ...more
Terri Palermo
This great book has loads of information on every single country on the planet. Though I don't think I'll ever visit Iraq, this book makes it look like a land worthy of a visit :)
I'll be buying this one!
Heather Green
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reference book if you are planning to visit multiple countries. Obviously not detailed, but a great overview of solid highlights that are worth checking out. We are traveling to or travelled to about 20 countries as a family, and used this to get ideas for where to land and visit.
Sara
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
Overly ambitious, but a neat flip-through with at least two pages on every country in the world and a little sidebar about the local cuisine. More of a gateway to additional guidebooks than an actual travel takealong.
Candace
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect book for honeymoon planning! My fiance and I don't know where to go... we've been having a lot of fun flipping through this book and putting a sticky note on the countries that pique our interest!
I NEED to own this for myself. Lonely Planet is my favorite of the travel guides out there, so why wouldn't I like a book that covers every single country? Super duper bad wanderlust now! Good thing I'm going somewhere in a month :)
Felicita Hioe
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Stevanus Ivan who gives me this special book ^^
Jason Williams
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting summary information about every country in the world.
Hana
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, must-own
This has become my bible.
Jaylene C
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it! Great resource to find a quick cpl pages on anywhere you can imagine!
Jaimie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ytb
Guy Mazim
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indeed, a traveller's guide to the planet. A inspirational read with great photos!
Rachael

• Rick Steves' Great Britain 2007
  • France
  • Australia
  • Science in Seconds
  • New Zealand (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Top 10 New York City
  • Great Britain
  • A Certain "je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
  • The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies: Thousands of Tips and Techniques Anyone Can Use to Heal Everyday Health Problems
  • Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant
  • Atlas of Lost Cities: A Travel Guide to Abandoned and Forsaken Destinations
  • Between Two Ages
  • Opening Pandora's Box: Phrases We Borrowed from the Classics and the Stories Behind Them
  • How to Be the World's Smartest Traveler (and Save Time, Money, and Hassle)
  • Game of Knowns
  • Southeast Asia on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)
OUR STORY
A beat-up old car, a few dollars in the pocket and a sense of adventure. In 1972 that’s all Tony and Maureen Wheeler needed for the trip of a lifetime – across Europe and Asia overland to Australia. It took several months, and at the end – broke but inspired – they sat at their kitchen table writing and stapling together their first travel guide, Across Asia on the Cheap. Within a week th