Start by marking “Planting Gardens in Graves” as Want to Read:
Planting Gardens in Graves

Planting Gardens in Graves

From the beloved author of Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel comes the first volume in an all new series.

r.h. Sin returns with a force in Planting Gardens in Graves: a powerful collection of poetry that hones in on the themes dearest to his readers. This original volume celebrates connection, mourns heartbreak, and above all, empowers its readers to seek the love they deserve.
Published February 6th 2018 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Planting Gardens in Graves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planting Gardens in Graves

Start your review of Planting Gardens in Graves
Joseph Spuckler
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
R.H. Sin has gained many fans over the last couple of years. His Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel sold out and copies were fetching quite a price. Sin made his name with short poems and used language to make words carry their maximum weight. Since the release of Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel two things have happened. First, there are collections of "poetry" flooding the market that are essentially cliches and platitudes, but nonetheless, have been readers professing love for poetry. This dilutes the ...more
Julia Sapphire
I was sent a copy by Andrews McMeel Publishing in exchange for an honest review

4.5 out of 5 stars

I adored this so much! I am a huge fan of Sin's work and have read everything he has published. "Planting Gardens in Graves" was not a disappointment! His writing is beautiful and I can find myself relating to almost every single poem. To me, its so special being able to see myself in a book and have my thoughts expressed into poetry. I have read his work during tough times and I can't even ex
Fleur (FranklyBooks)
edit: The author has denounced the idea that one of his poems is about suicide in my comment section so I've swapped the word 'suicide' with 'death'. He has brought to my attention that he has suffered the traumatic loss of his premature brother and that my interpretation of a poem about suicide is incorrect. I feel for him and hope he finds peace. However, I still stand by my first interpretation that the poem under my 'romanticising suicide' category is harmful. Furthermore, I believe that int ...more
Guiana
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, owned-ebook
lions.
they threw her into the lion’s den
and instead of feeling fearful
she tamed the beasts

breaks and maybe
even a poetic feel to
it but other
than that...

I've complained about this more than I should and that's how, more than often, R.H. Sin's poems are so fucking repetitive that it hurts. He writes quite a lot on the topic of hearta/>
Mariah Nelson
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
For the life of me i will never understand the hype behind this guy . he's so redundant and dry. And his whole "no man is worthy and every woman needs a guy like him" shtick is so disgusting. Who told him he was god's gift to women?

After his first few books his themes became over used. I cant wait til this brand of 'poetry' dies out
Caitlin
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received an eARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review originally published on my blog, Turning Pages.

I’ve been in the mood for poetry lately. I follow poets on Instagram, and find so many new to me writers that I love. I found R.H. Sin on Instagram and liked some of the poems he shares on there. So of course when I saw this on Netgalley, I wanted to read it. Unfortunately, I was left feeling incredibly disappointed.

What first struck me about this co/>Review
Chanel
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received this as an ARC on NetGalley.

I never really like this author's work, but every time I see a title on there for free I feel compelled to read it to stay justified in my opinions.

However, for the first time (by some Superbowl Sunday miracle) this one was actually slightly better than the others.

I appreciated that there were fewer pop poems and she poems, I appreciated that more poems had original titles rather than just time stamps or repeated titles throughout. I didn't re
Ariana
Dec 17, 2017 rated it did not like it

Originally posted on: The Quirky Book Nerd

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

My r.h. Sin saga continues. After reading A Beautiful Composition of Broken, things went even more downhill when it came to this particular collection. It started off well enough, with short but sweet, impactful poetry. Each poem had the nice flow and depth that he has always showed, and the way he words everything is beautiful. There were ev
Munaya Al salhee
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed reading it after DNFing two books. The poems and how it’s written are really beautiful.
Nashali
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, read-in-english
and sometimes i think that this will
be my fate

living a life
claiming to have loved
when all i've ever known
is hate

Maybe a 2.5
Paola
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it

I love everything about this book. It teaches you so much I feel like it makes you open your eyes it understands your pain. Buy it and read it and you’ll understand.
Addy Gonzalez
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5

The poems are short with some increasing in length. The wording is not too flowery or frivolous. They can be short and packed with a lot of thought and meaning. As the first work I have read from r.h. sin, I have to say I was not disappointed.

I did feel that some poems were a bit repetitive as if he just rearranged the words to sound different, but that was not always the case. Some poems were repeats, but felt different in a way.

Personally,
Kate (thebookgram) ♡
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2018-read
I think this may be my least favourite of Sins work, however having said that I still loved it!

This just seemed a bit repetitive at times. Still so, so good.
Steph
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.5-2/5 stars.
His "guys better be nicer to women or their girlfriends will leave them for Nice Guys(tm) like me" poem knocked a star and a half.
Mostly forgettable female empowerment poetry written by a man. There are a few heartfelt gems about relationships in general, death/suicide, and police brutality.
But overall pretty forgettable, and there's several WoC written poetry books promoting WoC or female empowerment that I'd recommend over this.
Yemi
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a beautiful words will put you in so many emotion, remind you you can be strong and get over all the pain and the breakup.
Amy
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Baby focus on your goals these men are confused"

I started off not liking this much at all but once I got past the fact that technically it's not poetry, I enjoyed the ideas and empowerment this book provides.
Krystal
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Insightful! Another emotive collection of poetry! As before, I find that these can as easily describe the heartbreak of love as the shattered belief that white folx see the humanity in people of colour.
Steven
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great as usual! Sin is a poet that is easy to like! Not the convoluted crap that so many aloof poets are trying to churn out! Not his very best volume but still damn good!
Rachel-Morgan Lanouette
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with his words.
Tessa H
'Planting Gardens in Graves' is a beautiful collection of poems written by R.H. Sin. The book was quite long for a poetry book, but it engaged me and left me wanting more just as a realistic fiction or historical fiction book would. The authors portraying of women really warmed my heart, and one of the lines in a poem was "you're a woman, and though I can't begin to understand what that truly means, I can sympathize as I do my best to remind you of how powerful you are." Considering that the aut ...more
Lolo S.
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I mostly enjoyed these very short poems, which are perfect for my post-breakup distracted brain. I sit down and read a few poems, digest them with some ginger tea. My ex and I picked out this loveseat. I thought we would sit on it more than we did. He's gone now, but I have this sofa, and this tea, and this little space I give myself to read a few poems each morning.

So I sit alone and read through these little poems, some only a few lines. Some are so poignant, they seem to be torn from my own
Caroline Henry
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a good poetry book, though it can be seen and sad and depressing at times it really empowers you. As I read this book I found myself feeling more and more sassy because this book repeatedly tells you how great you are and how you will always ALWAYS be worth more than what men and women say about you. And if a man(or woman) isn’t treating you right or making you feel good about yourself you need to dump them and leave. A relationship should be equal you should give and be given to. Never eve ...more
Ava Tietze
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So glad i made the decision to read this book. I loved how this book took themes and ideas from many of my favorite poetry books, and made it into one. This book has everything you’d ever need. From feminism, heartbreak, all the way to mourning. Beautiful poetry that combines both short stanzas and longer ones to create a unique story.
readwith_us
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
1,5/5 stars.

Even though I am a fan of modern poetry this poetry collection was totally not for me. I didn't connect with any of the poems and I felt like they weren't done well. I was bored while reading them and I couldn't wait to finally finish them. Just wasn't for me.
0,5 star just because I liked 2-3 poems of the whole collection.
Syd PW
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As my second book from Sin, I have to say that I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed how he got in depth with so few words. I also like that he explored more with longer poems, those were also good. Overall it’s a well rounded book about life which I found myself relating to.
Meghan C
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was honestly a great read. Some parts weren't the best but there were other parts that were really great and opened my eyes. Originally I never intended to read the first volume but after I read the second one it really made me want to see if the first one was just as good as the second one was. The book definitely was so much that I had to read it in a day because I couldn't put it down. This book was surprising all the things it brought up I never expected to be in a book but as I sa ...more
Amy
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
His poetry all had a deeper meaning to them. Every word had some sort of impact. Truly they are for a more matured age.

you were a disaster
hidden beneath wrapping paper
my own personal hell
presented to me as a gift
Emerald Sue
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-verse
“you are not difficult to love
your soul mate will love you
with ease”
Ann
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely little book; I truly appreciate the poetry even as most of them did not speak to me.
Alicia Day
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
There was a couple in this one that got to me I think I'm getting better at appreciating this author
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Pillow Thoughts II: Healing the Heart
  • Pillow Thoughts
  • I Hope This Reaches Her Too
  • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
  • DROPKICKromance
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
  • The Chaos of Longing
  • The Last Time I'll Write About You
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • The Dark Between Stars
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Her Vol. 2
  • 2am Thoughts
  • I Find You in the Darkness
  • soft thorns
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Yesterday I Was the Moon
  • Sea of Strangers
“Children who were abandoned
grow up to love people
who abandon them”
7 likes
“here's the thing
and I need you to take in
every word

when someone truly loves you
and I'm not talking about
that watered-down shit
that you got from every ex
who caused you nothing
but a great deal of emotional trauma

when someone really love you
and wants to be a part
of your life

they let go of their past
to better accommodate you
in their future

they don't hold on to past likes,
lusts, or loves
you'll never have to compete

with anyone they've had