Start by marking “Lumberjanes: Unicorn Power! (Lumberjanes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lumberjanes: Unicorn Power! (Lumberjanes, #1)

Lumberjanes: Unicorn Power!

(Lumberjanes #1)

Welcome to Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet’s Camp for Hardcore Lady Types. The five scouts of Roanoke cabin—Jo, April, Molly, Mal, and Ripley—love their summers at camp. They get to hang out with their best friends, earn Lumberjane scout badges, annoy their no-nonsense counselor Jen . . . and go on supernatural adventures. That last one? A pretty normal ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by Amulet Books (first published October 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Lumberjanes, please sign up.
Elena This is a prose novel. It has a few illustrations, but is not in comic format. Go for the trade collections of the comics, and if you like those, pick…moreThis is a prose novel. It has a few illustrations, but is not in comic format. Go for the trade collections of the comics, and if you like those, pick this up as a supplemental Lumberjanes adventure.(less)

Hannah Greendale
At Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thisle Crumpet’s Camp for Hardcore Lady Types, five girls from Roanoke cabin – April, Molly, Mal, Ripley, and Jo – are hard at work earning scout badges. When they help a unicorn find its way home, they discover an enormous mountain that’s never been charted on any maps. Keen to earn the Extraordinary Explorers medal, April concocts a plan to climb the mysterious mountain with her friends, but the journey is more perilous than expected, and getting home may ...more
Maddie
Jul 16, 2017 added it
Shelves: middle-grade, arcs
So lovely to read one of my fave graphic novel series in regular novel form! The new adventure felt very authentic to the Lumberjanes style, and their personalities consistent to the April, Jo, Mal, Molly and Ripley I already love. The little illustrations were such a sweet touch, and I especially loved the introduction of non-binary character, Barney. They were great, and I hope they turn up in the next book more!

Lata
3.5 stars. With more enthusiasm than planning, the girls are off to climb a mountain, thanks to April's desire to do so and get another badge for doing so.
My first Lmberjanes story, I was a little overwhelmed at first by all the exclamation points, but got into the swing of the story. Silliness, with a ton of friendship, enthusiasm, acceptance and cheering of others.
Kitkat
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Laura (bbliophile)
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun to read! I definitely didn't like it as much as the graphic novels, but it was still a very fun, adventurous story full of the characters we all know and love. I'd definitely recommend this to other fans of the Lumberjanes series, but not to people who aren't familiar with the series yet. Full review to come soon.
Jeimy
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I breezed through these 150 pages where our heroines, once again, find themselves inadvertently in unimaginable trouble.
Jonny Parshall
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was great. It started out a little fanfiction-y, but ended up holding its own, bringing the reader closer to the characters, and providing some good lessons at the end.
Sarah E.
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
This was my introduction to the Lumberjanes universe. Immediately following finishing this book, I read the first volume of the Lumberjanes comic by Noelle Stevenson. 3 stars may seem like I was meh about it, but honestly, I felt as though there was too much going on for it to be the best in a written novel format. Once I read the first volume of the comic, I knew that the book definitely would have been better in that comic form. The characters themselves are
Jen
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was super cute, very diverse, and a good storyline. As someone who reads the comics I have this two thumbs up. 👍🏽👍🏽
Brenda A
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am not the demographic for this, and that was painfully obvious to me when reading. What makes it worse is that I've heard glowing reviews for this so my expectations were high--and I knowingly kept them high because I thought the book would deliver.

These girls came across as idiotic and unrealistically hyperactive. If someone had told me this would read like a feminist Spongebob then maybe I would've accepted the story better. But as it was, I expected a good story with well-developed charac
Jessica ☕
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this because so many people are into Lumberjanes these days, but overall, it was very "meh" for me. Maybe I overhyped it in my mind.

My main critique is that this doesn't read like the first in a series -- the reader is dropped into the middle of the setting with several characters as if we should already know who they are. The characters never developed for me, and I doubt the attention span of your average 10 year old is much better.

I mean, it's not bad -- if it seems l
Jasmine
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first half of this book seemed to drag to me, but the second half was full of Lumberjane excitement. I might read the next book, but I don't feel too committed.
McKinlay Dennis
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i was worried i wouldn't love the novels as much as the comics but, no need to worry! I just adore all of these characters so much! FRIENDSHIP TO THE MAX!
Jae
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect
Jill Jemmett
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a couple of the Lumberjanes graphic novels before. They’re so cute! So I had to get the middle grade novel when I heard it was coming out.

In this new story, the scouts find unicorns, not too surprising to fans of the series. What is surprising is that unicorns smell really, really bad (who knew!). They also find a mysterious foggy mountain. Let the adventures begin!

Since I haven’t read all of the graphic novels, I liked the way that there was a lot of background given on the character
Paula  Phillips
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A couple of years ago, I discovered the Lumberjanes comics and loved them. They are a group of girl scouts who besides trying every day to get their badges - they also find themselves on strange treks and in weird situations. Recently the library I work at got three books of Lumberjanes in chapter book format. I immediately grabbed all three to take home and read as I was in dire need of a Lumberjane fix. In Unicorn Power, it starts with the girls trying to get their Flora and Fauna badge, and w ...more
Shay
As a fan of the LumberJane graphic novels I was really looking forward to this novel buuut. It’s just not as good as the graphic novels. The writing was so annoying and while the characters came off mostly the same as in the graphic novel I just found them more annoying in this and not as well developed as I thought they’d be given that this is a book and has more time for that.

I am of course older than the audience this book is intended for but I expected this to be something I would’ve loved
Alyssa Marie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I went into this book a little apprehensive. I hadn’t enjoyed the last lumberjane volume that much that I read and was worried I was tired of this series. BUT THIS BOOK BROUGHT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER AGAIN. It was SOO GOOD. It was honestly better than any regular comic volume I’ve read in this series. It made you love the characters even more which is so lovely. It’s just so much fun, the whole time. It’s honestly hard for me to get excited and wrapped up in action sometimes, but this really ha ...more
Devann
While I really hate to give this only 3 stars, I just don't think Lumberjanes works as well in prose format. And I KNOW this series is actually for middle-grade children and I'm an adult reading them but even so, this novel read 'younger' than the comics do for me. I don't really know how to describe it but I think that in trying to keep with the 'feel' of the comics the author dumbed down the writing a lot, so there's just a lot of short sentences and exclamations and parts where she's trying t ...more
Magen
This is really just a long version of the comic books, which I feel like should be read (at least one of them) before reading this. I was hoping for more depth in the books than in the comic books, but unfortunately, there's no additional depth - no explanation of the world or insight into the characters. That was disappointing. The story was fun and if that's all you're looking for, I recommend this.
Laura Noakes
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This book captures the spirit of the Lumberjanes comics so perfectly. I absolutely loved the plot of this middle grade novel, really enjoyed seeing more of the character's backstory and the drawings throughout were awesome. Basically, if you're already a fan of the Lumberjanes comics, you'll love this, and if you like girl power, friendship, kindness and unicorn-laden adventures, you need to read this book ASAP!
April
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super fun story adventure with the lumberjanes from the comic. April is determined to climb a new mountain to get an amazing rare badge and wants to drag all of Roanoke cabin with her. There are unicorns; cloud people; mountains that may or may not exist and through it all a mantra of Friendship to the max. Really good with lots of humor and a sprinkle of life lessons mixed in. Totally sunny, dude!
Garren
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun, high-energy, puntastic, diverse, and badge-laden Lumberjanes tale JUST LIKE I EXPECTED AND GOT. I will say that the novel format allows for some very nice character development for these hardcore lady types.

Plus, I love illustrated books so I have something to visualize when I read a story.
Madison
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of the comics, I found this book really delightful. Like in the original series, they really throw you right into the story, which some kids might love and others might find confusing. I loved the additional illustrations--the design of this book is absolutely wonderful. I really hope this engages new readers!
Barry Raifsnider
4 stars for the story, 2 stars for the audiobook experience. I really enjoyed the story and think it is really accurate to the style of the Lumberjanes comics! I did not care for the narrator of the audiobook though, but I think that is just a me thing; I didn't really like the voices the narrator did for the characters. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series in book form.
Adriana
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lumberjanes is just not my thing. I find them too nonsensical and never really got why they're so popular. I will admit, however, that the writing in this is good and that the crazy adventure they go on will undoubtedly be a fun read for anyone who likes the characters.
Carmen
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a read-aloud for H, who loves the Lumberjanes comics, but they didn't wholly transition well to chapter book setting. There's a lot of hugging and female friends that support each other, and that's lovely, but we really could have used some real prose between dialogue and some heftier plot points.
Jenna
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun and enthusiastic romp that actually takes the dangers of the Lumberjane world seriously, and it’s amusing to consider that after all the shenanigans the cabin’s gone through, that it’s a mountain climb that finally causes an injury.

Lots of dialogue and easily pictured action that’ll be sure to catch the attention of fans of the graphic novel series.
Bridget
Smelly unicorns were a delight, and I really loved all the silly puns. I didn't enjoy it as much as the graphic novels, but it's a sweet story with lots of great friendship moments, and Tamaki did a great job of capturing the characters' personalities.
Grace
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My friend Dani picked up this ARC at SDCC 2017 as a gift for me. I must say this book is a delight. Hard-core Lady Types are going to find so much to love about it. Even people who aren't familiar with the comics will love it. It's inclusive and funny and full of witty humor that kids and adults will love. I'm so excited to share this with everyone in October!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Bird's-Eye View (Lumberjanes, Vol. 7)
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy
  • Lumberjanes: Beyond Bay Leaf Special #1
  • Lumberjanes: Bonus Tracks
  • Band Together (Lumberjanes, Vol. 5)
  • Giant Days Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
Mariko Tamaki is a Toronto writer, playwright, activist and performer. She works and performs with fat activists Pretty Porky and Pissed Off and the theatre troupe TOA, whose recent play, A vs. B, was staged at the 2004 Rhubarb Festival at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Her well-received novel, Cover Me (McGilligan Books) was followed by a short fiction collection, True Lies: The Book of Bad Advice ...more

Lumberjanes (3 books)
  • Lumberjanes: The Moon Is Up (Lumberjanes #2)
  • Lumberjanes: The Good Egg (Lumberjanes #3)
“was Jo, walking tall with long, steady strides. Jo always had a multi-tool tucked in her pocket and a” 0 likes