Start by marking “Murder on the SS Rosa (Ginger Gold Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the SS Rosa (Ginger Gold Mysteries #1)

Murder on the SS Rosa

(Ginger Gold #1)

It's 1923 and young war widow fashionista Ginger Gold makes a cross-Atlantic journey with her companion Haley Higgins to London England to settle her father's estate. When the ship's captain is found dead, Ginger is only too happy to lend her assistance to the handsome Chief Inspector Basil Reed.

The SS Rosa delivers a convincing array of suspects--the wife, the mistress, a
Published May 8th 2017 by La Plume Press (first published April 25th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the SS Rosa, please sign up.
Katheryn Thompson There are five stars underneath the book cover, and if you click on the fourth star it will rate it four stars. Then a little box will appear which…moreThere are five stars underneath the book cover, and if you click on the fourth star it will rate it four stars. Then a little box will appear which says 'Write a review'. Click on it, and you'll be able to write your review. Hope that helps!(less)

Evgeny
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the time of Prohibition, cloche hats and Charleston.
Charleston
The time when the world was still recovering from the first great war and British nobility titles still had a lot of weight.
Nobility
In this case I am talking about the year of 1923. A young widow Ginger Gold was crossing the Atlantic from US to GB to settle her late father's estate accompanied by her friend Haley Higgins. The women belong to completely different social classes, but the war - he great equalizer - made them friends.

Ginger b
Holly
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
What a wonderful surprise this was! I love cozy mysteries, as I've said a thousand times, so I'm always looking for ones that interest me. This one met everything I love about this genre. Characters that are interesting with some humor and sarcasm, interesting time period--the 20's!!, and a mystery that keeps you entertained, plus a cute lovely dog to add to the mix. I cannot wait to read more about Ginger, Haley, and Basil! Rest assured I will be picking up the next book.

**Thanks to Lee Strauss
QNPoohBear
Kindle freebie and loanable

Mrs. Ginger Gold is traveling back to her native England on the S.S. Rosa. England is a place she hasn't been to since 1918 when the war ended and she was left a young widow. Now her father is also dead and she is left to settle his estate. Why not have a little fun before completing the task, especially while in non-American waters (Prohibition need not apply)?! Her traveling companion, Haley, would rather study for medical school and her Boston Terrier Puppy needs lo
Jaline
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: xx2017-completed
I am happy to hear that Murder on the SS Rosa is a prequel to a series of cozy mysteries featuring Ginger Gold and her friend Haley Harrigan. I am sure we will also see more of the intrepid and enigmatic Chief Inspector Basil Reed.

At first I wasn’t sure what to think of Ginger Gold. At first glance she appeared to be all surface and fluff, especially in contrast to Haley – a serious medical student, which was highly unusual for a woman in the 1920’s. However, when the going goes sideways with a
Anna Aurora
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Omg I loved it!Such a quick and action packed read. This was my first book by the author and it sure will not be last.I just loved how atmospheric this story was.Details really made this book for me.I can't wait to read more about Ginger and her adventures.
And Can we just talk about this beautiful cover,its so stunning and perfect for this book!
4/5 stars
Tari
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-audio
An exciting beginning with a murder--and a ship full of suspects

I really enjoyed this prequel of the Ginger Gold series and getting to know Ginger and her good friend Haley. When the ship's captain was killed, there was no shortage of suspects, including Ginger herself. Determined to clear her name, Ginger began to snoop and talk to suspects. I was surprised by the killer, and the showdown/sting was pretty good. The very ending made me curious to keep reading and find out what Ginger's butler ha
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Period Cozy Mystery, Mystery
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was a freebie on Kindle, and as I enjoy period murder/mysteries and cozy mysteries, I thought I would give it a try.

The year is 1923, Lady Ginger Gold is a young war widow whose father has recently passed away. She is setting off from Boston to England to settle his estate on the SS Rosa with her French Bull dog, Boss, and her good friend Haley Higgins. Haley happens to be the nurse who took care of her father and is going to England to attend university to become a doctor. The two have bon
Heather Belleguelle
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Being a fan of both cozy mysteries and Lee Strauss’ writing I was really looking forward to reading the start to her new series. I’m pleased to say that there is so much to be enjoyed.

It’s always important for a cozy mystery to have a sleuth (and sidekick) that readers warm to, and Mrs Strauss has certainly hit on a winner with Ginger and her friend Haley. And, not forgetting Ginger’s Boston Terrier, Boss, who I’m sure will continue to be part of the mystery-solving team.

The era and the setting
Darlene
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: swap, cozies
I enjoy reading cozy mysteries and am constantly downloading the free offers from various authors. I am thrilled I read this particular mystery. The characters-especially Ginger and Haley-were whimsical and fun, especially when Ginger involves herself in a murder investigation much to the annoyance of the investigator Basil Reed. The setting of the ship and Lee Strauss' description of the food, the time period's clothing and social structure on the ship transported me in time. It was a genuinely ...more
JoAn
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murder on the SS Rosa by Lee Strauss was a quickly paced historical cozy that caught my attention from the first chapter. I liked Ginger Gold and her friend Haley Higgins. Although from two different worlds, they obviously care about each other. I enjoyed the way Ms. Strauss slowly dropped hints about how much more there was to Ginger other than a rich widow who only cares about clothes. I'm intrigued and definitely want to know more about Ginger's role during WWI. She has a huge heart; and I go ...more
Mara
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lee Strauss is a new author to me and this is a new cozy mystery series by her. It takes place a few year after WWI aboard a ship (the SS Rosa) crossing the Atlantic from the U.S. headed to London. Ginger Gold is a fairly young widow who's more than the wealthy fashionista she appears to be. Traveling with her Boston Terrier, Boss, and her friend, Haley Higgins, a nurse who's going to England to attend medical school, she helps solve the murder of the ship's captain.

I enjoyed this book set in 19
Andrea
When you have an amateur detective, you always have to overcome the hurdle of how to involve them when official investigations. Ginger involves herself through a combination of frank nosiness and chutzpah which I just could not believe worked, especially when questioning various suspects.

So, while Ginger (sporting looks, intelligence, wealth, and a spy background) was readable enough, and I thought Ginger's companion very interesting, I found myself drifting away from the story once the investig
This is a prequel novella that I picked up as a kindle freebie awhile back.

It was actually quite cute. The series is set in the early 1920's and features a woman named Ginger Gold and her friend Haley Higgins. Ginger is a 30 year old widow who lost her husband in the war. Haley was Ginger's late father's nurse, and the two struck up a friendship. Ginger also had some involvement in the war herself as an operative of some type.

This novella (183 pages, according to my kindle) finds Ginger and Hale
Dawn Michelle
This was okay [I found it better than the other book that had a murder on a ship - I cannot even remember the name of that one] - I liked the main characters and found the relationship between Haley and Ginger both sweet and hilarious. And the murder was a bit of a surprise. As was the reveal. But still...it felt like something was missing. And I am not sure what it was. I just cannot put my finger on it.
I WILL read the second one because these characters have interested me enough to keep me re
Charles Ray
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In 1923, young war widow Ginger Gold boards the S.S. Rosa, bound from Boston to Liverpool, to settle her late father’s estate in London. A few nights into the voyage, the captain of the vessel is found murdered, and among the long list of possible suspects is one Ginger Gold. With the help of her traveling companion, Haley Higgins, she’s determined to help CI Basil Reed, a passenger on the ship, find the real killer.

Murder on the S. S. Rosa by Lee Strauss is a short prequel to the Ginger Gold co
Kathy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very silly, superficial novella borrowed through kindle unlimited program that should fit the bill for people looking for quick read. It is meant to whet the appetite to read succeeding tales as many readers may do. Not this reader.
S Dizzy
Bubbly

A quick and delightful mystery! If this story was a drink, for me, it would be the champagne bubbles tickling my nose. It is quite effervescent and an immensely enjoyable fluff read.
N.N. Light
It's the Roaring 20's and Ginger Gold is sailing on the SS Rosa to settle her father's estate in England when the captain is murdered. Everyone is a suspect and Ginger is happy to assist the handsome Chief Inspector in any way she can. A delightful mystery that kept me guessing until the very end. Reminded me of Dame Christie with witty dialogue and intriguing characters. Highly recommend!

My Rating 5 stars
S. Daisy
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This short novel is a historical fiction mystery taking place in the 1920s, on a ship sailing from the states to England. The main character is Georgia "Ginger" Gold, who used to be a secret operative during the war, but who after the war turned to detective work as a hobby to add some mystery and color to her now-average life.

Ginger sets sail from the mainland on the SS Rosa, captained by a man named Joseph Walsh, and heads for England, where she intends to attend to her deceased father's Londo
Laura Edwards
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable read. I enjoyed the characters, the mystery and the setting aboard ship. My favorite character was probably Ginger's friend, Haley Higgins. They are opposites in many respects, yet I love the interplay between them. Fun and very believable. I also liked the way Ginger's past is hinted at instead of everything revealed at one time. The only thing which seemed very unrealistic was the way Inspector Reed allowed Ginger to hone in on his case, especially since he considered her a su ...more
Helen Drake
Having read books 4 through 6 in this series, it’s time I catch up on the previous books starting with this first book in the Ginger Gold series. It’s a good first novel as it introduces the main characters, Ginger Gold, her close friend and travel companion Haley Higgins, and Chief Inspector Basil Reed, along with Ginger’s Boston Terrier, Boss, and young Scout, who has been smuggled on board the SS Rosa by his older cousin, Marvin. These characters carry through in the later books in the series ...more
Margaret Osburn
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a fast pace, fun read. I could not put it down and was disappointed when I reached the ending. I was so engrossed that I did not realized an hour had passed. I found the main characters, Ginger Gold and Chief Inspector Basil Reed, refreshing and intreiging. They were not the typical over the top annoying know it alls. They truly complemented one another. Neither had to prove anything to the other. The ending was refreshingly different. You did no ...more
Sara
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Cozy Mystery!

This was my first Lee Strauss Novel and it was an enjoyable read. I fell in love instantly with the characters. Ginger, the main character pretends to be a woman only concerned with the lasted fashion and high society events, but in reality, she had been an operative in WWI and is clever in gathering intel and observation. Basil, the inspector is a very intelligent and honest men since the beginning. Her companion and friend, Hailey, is a feminist and a nurse who is studyi
Mary Lou Webb
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

It's been a long time since I have been able to call a book delightful, but this one is. The main character is charming and fun, while the other characters balance out the cast. The story moves along at a nice clip, and every character and action is designed to move along the story. I particularly enjoyed the bits with Boss both as a tension reliever and as a way to show more of Ginger's demeanor.

This is a prequel, and Ms. Strauss does a good job of introducing Ginger to readers. I'd
Joan
This was more a novella about fashionable clothes of the period than a murder mystery. Take away the descriptions of clothing and the frankly repulsive Boston terrier 'Boss' and you'd be left with very little else. Solving the murder was almost an afterthought and there was no suspense or intrigue.

For a protagonist who I am supposed to like, Mrs Gold is smug, self-centred and supercilious. I don't think I'll bother with any more of these books.
Joyce Register
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing easy read, just the thing for a quiet, relaxing, get-away weekend or vacation, or even a few minutes of escape during ordinary days at home. A real treat!
Sandi Blaylock
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I found this book very enjoyable. Taking place on a cruise ship I pictured the cruise ship I was recently on while reading the story. Looking forward to ready the next ones.
Mirachil27
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loads of fun

A delightfully light read in the tradition of the classic British cozy mystery. Full of the fashion and mores of the 1920's, this book will fill a pleasant afternoon. Just the book to take you away from the humdrum of modern daily life.
Laurie Way
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new author for me and the start of a great new cozy series. I enjoyed this very much!
Suzi
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

One of the top ten books I've read this Year! Great job putting me in the twenties. The fashions and the makeup descriptions were superb, I cared about the characters, and the ship was fascinating. I felt immersed in the story. Lovely! Thank you Ms Strauss!
  • A Merry Little Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 4)
  • A Bespoke Murder (Home Front Detective #1)
  • The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
  • The Silent Bullet (Craig Kennedy, Scientific Detective #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Wins the Prize (Mrs. Jeffries, #34)
  • Historical Whodunits
  • Ink, Red, Dead (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #3)
  • The Cocoa Conspiracy (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery #2)
  • The Haunted Valentine (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 7)
  • Sweet Miss Seeton (Miss Seeton, #20)
  • The Saint Closes the Case
Hi!

Would you like the FREE Lee Strauss starter library that includes 5 novels and 2 short stories? Visit my website: http://www.laplumepress.com/signup

As Lee Strauss, I'm a bestselling author of The Ginger Gold Mysteries series (cozy historical mystery), A Nursery Rhyme Suspense series (mystery sci-fi romantic suspense), The Perception series (young adult dystopian), and young adult historical fic

Ginger Gold (8 books)
  • Murder at Hartigan House
  • Murder at Bray Manor
  • Murder at Feathers & Flair (Ginger Gold #4)
  • Murder at the Mortuary
  • Murder at Kensington Gardens
  • Murder at St. George's Church
  • Murder Aboard the Flying Scotsman  (Ginger Gold Mysteries #8)
“Ginger expressed a desire for a Mary Pickford, and Haley asked for a Sidecar—American cocktails—but fortunately, the waiter hailed from Boston and had likely learned of them as Ginger and Haley had, by visiting illegal speakeasies.” 1 likes
“Mr. Reed,” Haley continued with a clipped voice. “All women in America now have the right to vote, not just those who are over thirty like in your country. American women are considered equals to their male counterparts. Any” 1 likes