Start by marking “Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter” as Want to Read:
Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter

Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter

Why is paying for things painful? Why are we comfortable overpaying for something in the present just because we’ve overpaid for it in the past? Why is it easy to pay $4 for a soda on vacation, when we wouldn’t spend more than $1 on that same soda at our local grocery store?

We think of money as numbers, values, and amounts, but when

Published November 7th 2017 by Harper (first published November 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Dollars and Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dollars and Sense

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieHow to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas RockwellHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanHow to Be Alone by Jonathan FranzenHow to Talk About Books You Haven't Read by Pierre Bayard
How To...
632 books — 91 voters
Columbine by Dave CullenDear Madam President by Jennifer PalmieriAmerica by Robert A. DivineGhettoside by Jill LeovyWild Ran the Rivers by James D. Crownover
Week #3
21 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter
Erikka
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This seemed to take forever to finish and it was kind of repetitive. It was a lot of good advice and had some nice humorous elements, but I feel like certain things were said 3 or 4 times. I usually like Dan Ariely's works, and while I did learn some things from this one, it didn't grab me the way his previous books did. ...more
AndyL
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. Largely a regurgitation of ideas from other Ariely books. Repetitious even within the book, with a lot of filler. Would only recommend for those who have not already read Predictably Irrational and The Upside of Irrationality.
Jerecho
Oct 14, 2021 rated it it was ok
I started reading with a full confidence, I found a book, a good one... A goo one... A goo on... A go on... A go o... A g o... A...

Keep it up it's nice but sometimes too much repetition kinda makes something boring...✌️
Christopher Lawson
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We Are All Inside The Money Volcano

I was hesitant to read this book, as I was pretty sure it would be boring. I assumed it would be one of those “How to Make a Budget” type of books.

Okay, I was completely wrong—it’s nothing of the kind. I enjoyed reading this book. DOLLARS AND SENSE by Dan Ariely and Jeff Kreisler explains how we think about money, with special emphasis on the frequent ways we think WRONGLY about money. It’s not that we are stupid about money; rather, we don’t think objectively
Ericka Clou
This is a better book if you haven't already read a ton of behavioral economics. For me, it was a compilation of a lot of effects I'd already read about (for example in Ariely's Predictably Irrational). This book would be great for people who don't know that much about behavioral economics and who are interested in personal finance.

I was also uncomfortable with the way the authors veered into territory that was somewhat morality-based without a holistic view of the issue. I fear economics often
Michel Meijer
How are our brains fooled by money and how is our behavior manipulated by money. I thought that would be an interesting subject to dive in and this book by Dan Ariely and Jeff Kreislerr got some praise on the internet so I gave it a shot. I made 2 mistakes.
1) I bought the Dutch translation. And the translation is not good. The humor conveys poorly and the translator did no effort to link the Amercanisms in the book to Dutchisms. In general, the Dutch do not work a lot with dollars and creditcard
Aman
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on Human behavior with respect to money. Dan knows the art of explaining things with examples and personalities that you can relate to be it this book, the books before or the online MOOC. You'll find yourself constantly saying: "Had I been in this situation, I would have done the same thing as this guy did".
One of the good ways this book differ from others in the same genre is how it won't tell you to get rid of the irrationality of human brain but rather how to embrace it
David Msomba
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
In a nutshell,the author tries to show how our cognitive biases tend to affect our daily financial judgements and decisions.

Again, If you are familiar with Dan Ariely`s previous work then you will revisit many of those ideas again in this book,but the book is still insightful,witful,contains alot of useful tips and I like the comic approach by his co-author,which made the book more interesting and hard to put it down.

I highly recommend this,if you on quest of trying to understand how psychology
Scott Wozniak
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book on the surprising way we really think. Our decisions about money, it turns out, are very sensitive to the last number we thought about right before that decision, our self-concept, and which category we put the money in. We will go to great lengths to avoid loss but blow off the chance to gain the same amount of money, for example.

It’s not only an important book. It’s a funny book. Very well written.
Carter Hemphill
Apr 09, 2021 rated it liked it
It’s a good review of behavioral economics with documented research. Sone of the chapters were too long and some of the humor didn’t land. The application of the findings could have been more actionable, but the strength of the book was the awareness of how one can have blindspots when it comes to money. If you’re new to the subject, it’s a great introduction.
Amy Marie
Feb 27, 2022 rated it it was ok
DNFed this. It started off strongly. This book had some great examples and points. However, I wish it had more examples and would get to the point a little quicker. I ended up DNFing it around 60% in because it didn't hold my attention. Loved the general idea of the chapters, but it needed a little more for me to love it. ...more
Veselin Nikolov
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Dan Ariely and read the book because of his name. This book, however, was a hard read and I didn't enjoy it. It says that thinking about money is hard but why would reading books about money be hard too?

I think that it could only be useful for people who don't often read self-help.
Janice
Feb 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure who the target reader for this book is, but clearly it is not me.
When it comes to financial advise I want it straight forward and no nonsense. This was nothing but rambling, unorganized, nonsense. Thanks, but no thanks.
Jeimy
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A necessary text to understand the basics of financial literacy.
Ben Rogers
It was good, but not anything as good as any other Ariely books.

2.7/5
Tarmo Pungas
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not an amazing book, but makes you think about your past (and future) expenses and how irrationally we think about money.
Dave
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is informative in that it lets us know things about ourselves (whether we want to admit them or not) that we never knew. The fact that we are prejudiced and swayed in ways we don't even recognize can be disconcerting. But as is pointed out, knowing about these unconscious biases can help us address them, and even use them to our advantage.
It doesn't just show us the flaws that exist in our programming, it gives strategies to deal with them. But we first have to admit to ourselves tha
Chuy Ruiz
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
I have really enjoyed his other books, and this one was interesting as well. Definitely a good read for anyone struggling with money habits.
Athan Tolis
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some three years ago, I belatedly came around to reading Ariely’s original masterpiece, “Predictably Irrational.” Here’s verbatim the summary of my findings:

1. Among two offerings, a merchant can reliably make us pick the one he prefers by sliding a “decoy” bad choice that is more similar to the choice he wants to steer us to

2. The first price we see for anything is the one we remember forever. Get that high “anchor” in and you can sell anything at a high price (and vice versa)

3. We are suckers
Dan Connors
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
As a CPA, I try and read at least a few financial books per year. Many of the financial books today are unappealing to me, though I do have a weakness for Suzy Orman. This book, which came out in 2017, gives an alternative look at the way we think about money- mainly the irrational mistakes that our brains make when thinking about such an important and sensitive subject.

Dan Ariely is a psychologist and writer, and I loved his book, Predictably Irrational. This one covers much of the same ground,
Robert Meijer
This book was rather disappointing. Maybe because most things ready knew. Furthermore a lot was focussed on the americsn market, where compulsory retirement funds are not a thing as in Europe. The story is easy to read.
kartik narayanan
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read the full review at my site Digital Amrit

A wise man knows himself to be a fool, but a foolish man opens his wallet and removes all doubt.

What is the book about?
Dollars and Sense is written by Dan Ariely and Jeff Kriesler. Dan Ariely is, of course, best know for his seminal book on psychology Predictably Irrational.

This book explores some of the most common mistakes made when it comes to money and the reasons behind those mistakes. For example: why are we willing to spend more on the same ite
Lydia
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. There was a kiddie coaster of emotions. The ups and downs of 'I'm an idiot,' 'I'm not an idiot,' 'Humans are idiots,' 'the majority of us are going to die poor and forever working,' and 'no wait, we can trick ourselves into not being so idiotic!'

I noticed at the grocery store after reading the book that I was thinking about my purchases more. I reasoned through the sales and gimmicks and actually saved $10 on what I normally spend. Did I also second guess those second gue
Tariq Mahmood
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economy
The book is ideal for someone like me who is a pathological and emotional spender of my own money. The book explains life-changing economic decisions with simple and relevant examples with plenty of funny anecdotes which made it into my best economy books to date. I think it will have an impact on my spending habits as I will try and make more informed decisions and try and keep my emotions in check :(
Supriya Raghavendra
A light hearted read with relatable anecdotes and plenty of humour. The book talks about how to spend and not spend money, common flaws while thinking about money, the ways in which we creatively rationalize our stupid financial decisions and finally, some advice on how to use dollars and our sense more wisely.

A must read for young folks who are beginning to deal with disposable income. Esp. the ones that are susceptible to impulsive and emotional spending like me!
Joel
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Good read, but if you've already read Ariely's stuff there isn't much new material here. It feels like he is rehashing his old book under the frame of financial analysis. If you haven't read his stuff, then I would highly recommend this or other books. #behavioraleconomics ...more
Annie
Apr 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly good read, found some new blind spots when it comes to money & spending.
(view spoiler)
Morgan Rohbock
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think every couple should read this book together either during engagement or the first few years of their marriage along with Millennials looking to get their finances together or fans of The Financial Diet. Dan and Jeff share research on money, psychology and all the crazy ways we rationalize our spending. We listened to this book on a road trip and the British accent and casual comments made this book amusing to listen to while the content really got us talking about our different perspecti ...more
Roy
Although many of the book's key notions are recycled from Dan Ariely's previous works (e.g. Predictably Irrational), the authors' witty, sometimes self-deprecating writing makes it hard to put down the book, all the while chuckling at our own money mistakes. The fact that it's real money at stake makes it all the more incredible (and amusing?) to see the self-deceptions, mental loops, and shenanigans we humans routinely commit to just to avoid pain and uncertainty or protect our ego.

Most importa
Matias
Key takeaways:
Money can be thought about in absolute or relative terms. We 'short change' ourselves when we compartmentalise our expenses, effectively thinking about money in relative as opposed to absolute value.
Money is fungible, that is any $10 note is as valuable as any other $10.
We are likely to value our possessions more than others do, or more than the market thinks that item or service is worth.
We are susceptible to price anchoring, irrespective of the reference. All the more when other
Igo Dollars and S...: December Meeting Wrap Up 1 3 Dec 12, 2019 01:13PM
Igo Dollars and S...: Dollars and Sense: Discussion Questions 1 1 Dec 06, 2019 09:34AM
Igo Dollars and S...: Dollars and Sense: Suggested Readings 1 3 Nov 16, 2019 11:05AM
Igo Dollars and S...: Dollars and Sense 1 2 Nov 07, 2019 03:36PM

• Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness
  • The Psychology of Totalitarianism
  • Noise: A Flaw in Human Judgment
  • Happy Money: The Science of Smarter Spending
  • Pequeño cerdo capitalista: inversiones.
  • Rich Habits Poor Habits: Discover why the rich keep getting richer and how you can join their ranks
  • The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness
  • The One-Page Financial Plan: A Simple Way to Be Smart About Your Money
  • The Behaviour Gap: Simple Ways to Stop Doing Dumb Things with Money
  • 7 Secrets to Investing Like Warren Buffett
  • InvestorCoach® - Aprende a Invertir en la Bolsa (Investor, #2)
  • The Hard Sell: Crime and Punishment at an Opioid Startup
  • Big Mistakes: The Best Investors and Their Worst Investments
See top shelves…
From Wikipedia:

Dan Ariely is the James B. Duke Professor of Behavioral Economics at Duke University. He also holds an appointment at the MIT Media Lab where he is the head of the eRationality research group. He was formerly the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Behavioral Economics at MIT Sloan School of Management.

Dan Ariely grew up in Israel after birth in New York. He served in the Israeli army and

News & Interviews

“Happiness too often seems to be less a reflection of our actual happiness and more a reflection of the ways in which we compare ourselves to others.” 3 likes
“Fundamentally, when we value effort over outcome, we’re paying for incompetence.” 3 likes