Start by marking “Blackburn Castle (Tortured Souls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blackburn Castle (Tortured Souls, #2)

Blackburn Castle

(Tortured Souls #2)

Victor Blackburn is living on borrowed time. An ancient curse violently claims the life of each Blackburn male on his twenty-seventh birthday. As his approaches, his only hope of survival is a witch who vanished long ago without a trace.

Mercy Seymour eagerly counts down the days until the curse will claim Victor’s life. She watched him murder her mother, and only his death
Kindle Edition
Published April 10th 2017 by Crimson Romance

To ask other readers questions about Blackburn Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackburn Castle

Celestine
Author R.C. Matthews has a talent for crafting truly despicable villains, who, when they are fiercely desperate, are maniacally dangerous. These are the scariest moments in her novels. They explode with tension, horror and suspense in the beginning and at the end, but through the middle the story loses a little steam. Matthews is also a master at plotting a no-win situation. There comes that twist that, as a reader, just sinks your heart.

This is the story of Victor and Mercy, but for some unkno
Sissy's Romance Book Review
'Blackburn Castle' by R.C. Matthews is book Two in the "Tortured Souls" series. This is the story of Victor and Mercy. I have read the previous book but feel this can be a standalone book.
Victor was just 10 years old when he was forced to Kill Mercy's mother. Just a small child that had be torched and threaten with his own death if he did not. Mercy's mother had already witnessed the awful man called 'Butcher' who was her brother in-law kill her husband. Butcher had promised not to kill her, he
MsChris1161
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, own, reviewed, netgalley
Incredible story! So, so, SO good! My first from R.C. Matthews. I love it when a new-to-me author blows me away. Wonderful characters, well-crafted storyline, great dialogue, steady pacing, just enough plot twists to keep me guessing... all-in-all a terrific read and I haven't even read the first in the series yet!

The sexy pirate, Victor Blackburn, is almost the age when all the first-born son's of his family die... ever since Elizabeth Thorne cursed them as punishment for his ancestor, Ambrose
Janet Robel
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Wow! Pirates, kidnapping, a curse, and romance, all in one incredible story. When I read the synopsis, I couldn't wait to read this. Victor is a great bad boy pirate, but all he wants is the curse lifted from the male line. Mercy is the only one who wields the power to help him but refuses. Can Victor convince her to thaw her heart towards him? A beautiful romance that is perfect for those looking for a little s
Tammy
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got from NetGallery, for a honest review

The story pulled me into the world the author built for me to read about. It was well written and characters helped to pull me in that much more. I loved the twist and turns the story had. The book kept my interest through out the book and loved how everything played out. Has a nice steady pace to keep you moving along with the story. Very good story to read and will want to read more from the author.

Thank you for letting me read your story.
Sawyer Belle
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Second in the Tortured Souls Series, but first on my list of favorites!

In this second installment, Matthews takes us not only on a wild race against time to save a beloved hero, but also on a poignant journey through forgiveness and healing. Mercy and Victor are a couple to fall in love with. They are both strong, honorable and long-suffering, and even though they have every reason to hate and hurt one another, they find their hearts doing otherwise.

I don't want to detail the plot, as I feel e
Michaelene
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Blackburn Castle is book two in the Tortured Souls series. It's a sweeping story with gothic elements and touches of the paranormal and magic. I enjoyed this one!

Victor Blackburn has a family curse which will cause him to die horrifically on his 27th birthday. The only way to save himself is to find Mercy Limmerick, a witch who can reverse the curse. The problem? Victor was forced to kill her mother.

Mercy waits anxiously for the day Victor will die and with him, the last of the Blackburns. She
Katie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review will be posted on my romance novel review blog: romanticallyinclinedreviews.blogspot.com

Who doesn’t love books filled with pirates, witches, and total misunderstandings that nearly ruin people’s lives? I sure am a sucker for them. That description doesn’t do Blackburn Castle by R. C. Matthews of course, but it’s a very vague start.

Victor Blackburn is cursed. Rumor has it he has two months to live before death comes to claim him. That is, unless he can convince Mercy Limmerick, the da
Debra Martin
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but after reading the blurb, I knew I wanted to read it. The book delivers on everything I hoped for - pirates, witches, curses, all-consuming guilt and forgiveness and love. Victor Blackburn is cursed and is destined to die an appalling death when he turns 27 unless he can find Mercy Seymour. She is a descendant of the Thorne family and the only one who can break the curse on the Blackburn men. Needless to say, Mercy has no intention of breaking the ...more
Tammy
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read I was hooked from beginning to end. This read transports to a world of castles, witches and magic. Victor is cursed to die and his only hope of surviving is to find a witch that has vanished. Mercy is Victor’s only hope; however, she can’t wait to see him die. Can he change her mind and get her to save him? This is a fast paced read with a great story and the chemistry between Victor and Mercy is wonderful. I loved it!
Amy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book works wonderfully as a stand-alone, it is even better as part of the series. I love the slight overlap in the timeline (this one begins just before the previous book ends). Victor and Mercy are well developed characters and Matthews does an amazing job building her world with just the right amount of the paranormal to keep it interesting. I like that some characters are still skeptics of the supernatural, while others embrace it and live with it. Outside of the paranormal aspect, ...more
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

“Blackburn Castle” should not be read as a standalone book. As the second in the Tortured Soul series, readers will be confused if they haven't read the first book.

Read full review in the 2017 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Julie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good read

This book is action packed adventure romance. It was good and I enjoyed reading about Mercy and Victor. If you haven't already read the tortured souls book one. Each romance stand alone 's which I like but the characters are expertly woven together.
Tina Colley
Mar 09, 2018
Joyffree
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun and engaging and suspenseful historical paranormal read that will leave you spellbound and breathless
This is Victor and Mercy's story -
What could possibly go wrong for a Witch and a Pirate (I'm sorry a "Privateer") -
when said Witch absolutely loathes and counts down the days (literally) until said pirates death?
Or if let's say said pirate gets soo desperate he maybe, kind of, sort of kidnaps above-mentioned witch?
"I received an ARC at no cost from the author."

Janice Sanchez
Jul 03, 2017
Elizabeth Brown
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-friends
I don't know a lot about gothic romance, but this story kept me turning the pages!
Blackburn Castle is a mix of action, mystery, adventure and romance that is sure to keep you guessing until the very end!
Kelli Kavinsky
Karen A.
Apr 03, 2018
  • Triad: A Novel of the Supernatural
  • The Janus Witch
  • Wicked Ever After (Blud, #4)
  • Earth's Blood (Earth Reclaimed, #2)
  • The Double Life of Incorporate Things (Magic Most Foul, #3)
  • The Somnambulist's Dreams
  • Dark Paradise (Dark Paradise #1)
  • The Curse Merchant (The Dark Choir #1)
  • Dragon's Heart (Dragon Lore, #1)
  • Mad for the Marquess (Reluctant Hearts #1)
  • Bound (House of Crimson & Clover #2)
  • Dangerous Desires Boxed Set
  • A Rogue's Deadly Redemption (The Willoughby Family, #3)
  • Invisible Prison (Alex Noziak #0.5)
  • Wanted: One Ghost (The Crossroads of Kings Mill #1)
  • Remedy Maker
  • Wounded Heroes
  • Camelot & Vine
I was born and raised by deaf parents in the Metro-Detroit area along with four siblings. Growing up in a house full of children, there was never a dull moment! We all inherited the reading gene from our father, who is a voracious reader. And the reading gene continues strong in my own two sons. I'm happily married (second time is a charm) to a patient and loving man who always cheers me on from t ...more

Tortured Souls (3 books)
  • Devil’s Cove (Tortured Souls, #1)
  • River Road (Tortured Souls #3)