Start by marking “The First Journey (Alternamorphs, #1)” as Want to Read:
The First Journey (Alternamorphs, #1)

The First Journey (Alternamorphs #1)

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  752 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
What would you do if you had the chance to become an Animorph? To hang out and battle the Yeerks with Jake and the crew? Now Animorphs fans can get in on the action in this "choose-your-own adventure" type book!.
Published April 1999 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The First Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Journey

Jackie Krasuski
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I do not know how I ever would have survived junior high without this fantastic science fiction series. Maybe the story quality went down as the book numbers got higher, but the idea that aliens were invading our planet secretly... it was almost good enough for a young teenager to believe.
Lauren
Unlike a lot of my Animorphs 2-star reviews, I do remember this one. It's a choose-your-own-adventure story. Mostly I remember choosing routes where I die a lot, then finding the happy ending and reading the story backwards from there. Probably not the best way to enjoy one of these types of books.
T Berry
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I first read this many years ago, and I liked it probably as much today as I did back then.
It's a simple thing but being able to choose which animal you want to morph into (even if the wrong choice gets you dead. A lot.) is a fun experience.

It's not canonical, of course, but it is interwoven with bits of the canon, which is satisfying when you know what's going on, but maybe just confusing if you don't. But I'd probably advise people to read the main series (at least) before looking at this and
Josiah
Dec 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
If the name on the cover belongs to the actual author of this book, then The First Journey, to the best of my knowledge, is the first gamebook in history to be written by a Newbery Medalist. Yes, Katherine Applegate, author of The One and Only Ivan, was chief literary architect of the Animorphs empire, years before the Newbery committee awarded her its coveted top prize, and alongside the main Animorphs series were several offshoots. Was Katherine Applegate the real author of the two-book Animo ...more
Stephanie
Nope. Nope nope nope. The first half of this book covers The Invasion (Animorphs #1), and the second covers The Forgotten (Animorphs #11). I knew I didn’t like it as a kid and never made the right decisions the first (or sometimes even the second) time to avoid a quick death. Because that is how the options work: one is the correct decision, the other two will lead you straight to death. I made the correct choice on the first try once for sure, and maybe a second time. Plus some of the phrasin ...more
Weathervane
Jun 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: animorphs
Poor. The book manages to be mostly incoherent; nothing is explained properly. For instance, we start out at the first pool raid, but the second part of the book jumps way ahead to a point after Ax is found. The transition is very clumsy, and what's more, if you haven't read the books on which the two stories are based, you'll be entirely lost. I knew what was going on during the first section, but the second section was a complete mystery.

The characters do not act like themselves; Ax actually s
Julie Decker
Aug 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
THIS IS A CHOOSE-YOUR-OWN-ADVENTURE-STYLE ANIMORPHS BOOK. IT IS NOT PART OF THE CANON (and, as a personal aside, is not recommended by me). The book allows you, the reader, to "become" part of the Animorphs by putting you there when Elfangor lands and allowing you to acquire the morphing power, then presenting you with a series of decisions (choose-your-own adventure style) to dictate the plot. Story elements of the first book and the eleventh book are incorporated, allowing the reader to partic ...more
Diana
Apr 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
I *really* should have listened to Jacqueline when she said the Alternamorphs were not worth reading. Yes, it's a choose-your-own adventure book, but I have good memories of them from high school, and yes, it tells the same story, but I liked them the first time around, right? So how bad can it be?

BAD.

The same story - actually TWO different books (about 150 pages each) - re-worded and paraphrased in places, so that *you* are the main character. It's all chopped up, diced and spliced, and reduced
Swankivy
Aug 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
This sucked the hairy balls off a camel. Pardon my language.

This could not have been Ms. Applegate's idea. It was a popular series and they wanted to capitalize on it, so they released extras. This was just a bad, bad idea.

BADBADBADBAD. If you like Animorphs, please don't read it.

Notable:

This book was ghostwritten by Tonya Alicia Martin.

The events of the Alternamorphs books are not written into the canon whatsoever.

Though allowing the reader to make the choices helps enhance the feeling of parti
Almira
Feb 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Yeah I didn't like this. Yeah I'm in a mood where I currently have nothing I like, but this one's not good.

If you've read "Venice: Who are the Three?" you'll be able to understand why this one's not good enough for an adventure type of book. I mean I could re-read Venice again and feel alive, and this one's miles behind from Venice's quality. Venice is a children's book by the way, it's still about aliens and stuffs, lol but chiller and nothing brutal in there. But well plotted.

Anyway, glad ther
Izlinda
Dec 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
It's like "Choose Your Own Adventure" + "Animorphs." It's a bit disappointing compared to the original series. I wish "I" had more personality, though I know it's my decisions that would've shown "my" personality.
Jerry
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Is this a novel or a "choose your own adventure" type of story? It's sort of a mixture of both, but not a very good one. Unless you're a die-hard fan of this series, I suggest sticking with the regular novels.
Valerie
Honestly the Alternamorphs are probably the least worth reading. I mean, it's great to help young readers try to get into the stories more, but really? This one in particular because it's rewriting the first book, except without as much content.
Darcy
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Why did I love choose your own adventure books so much?
Cws
Jan 19, 2009 added it
Shelves: jsf
JSF-App
Glen
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the best book I had ever read.It is mainly based on science fiction.what I liked is that it left me with a question
Jack
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 9+
This book was awesome you get to choose what morph to use and the right choices get you through the story alive.
Lauren
Interesting read, different from what I am used to.
Sarah Maddaford
I've never been much of a fan of choose your own adventures. If I'm going to make up a story using the same characters and situations, I don't really need a book to do it.
Julia
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i love all animorph books!!!
Julian
Oct 05, 2012
Jill
Apr 09, 2012
Book Review #4 Kaleb Lundquist 1 2 Jan 12, 2016 09:22PM
  • Cry of the Cat (Goosebumps Series 2000, #1)
  • The Wishing Stone (Spooksville, #9)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Aliens: Tales to Warp Your Mind
  • Lyric's World (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #2)
  • Sneaking In (Sweet Valley University, #42)
  • The Forbidden Castle (Choose Your Own Adventure, #14)
  • Prisoner of the Ant People (Choose Your Own Adventure, #25)
Katherine Applegate is the author of THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel CRENSHAW spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning HOME OF THE BRAVE, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three pictur
More about Katherine Applegate...

Alternamorphs (2 books)
  • The Next Passage (Alternamorphs, #2)