Start by marking “Breakdown (Remnants, #6)” as Want to Read:
Breakdown (Remnants, #6)

Breakdown

(Remnants #6)

As Billy continues his mysterious encounter with the ship's powerful core, known as Mother, he begins to form a strange connection with her. Mother has generated the Remants' surroundings and she is lonely after centuries of isolation. But when Mother delves into the depths of Yago's sinister mind, a strange computer-generated baffle pits Yago and an army of Civil War ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Breakdown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakdown

Start your review of Breakdown (Remnants, #6)
Julie
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
The monument had breached the hull. They were going to explode, freeze, suffocate. Their bodies, what was left of them, would hang around in space, so much trash.

It can't possibly get any worse, Violet thought and knew it probably would.

I think we've finally reached the point where these are no longer rereads! Because none of this really sounded familiar when I read it.

This one was exciting as usual, and felt like it had a bit more direction to it in that Yago's been handed a mission from
Mike
Oh, god. Oh, man these books are so good. I'm not even sure how to describe it, it's so good. I really do have to wonder, though, why this book doesn't have a fandom anymore. It's definitely not the kind of thing that gets popular, but you'd think some people would appriciate this series to this day, and it feels like a fandom piece, what with all the characters and aliens and weirdness.

So, I've talked about this tons and tons already, but I have to emphasize again: holy everloving fuck this is
Stephanie
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Too bad Yago and Billy are not quite facing off on this cover… since so much of it basically is about Yago/his side versus Billy/his side...

So much goes down in this book. We get our first glimpse of how (view spoiler) thinks, we meet two more of the Missing Eight, we learn a lot more about the Blue Meanies’ society, not to mention we get to see some epic battles of will both in the interior mental domain and in the more physical domain. Plus, it gets seriously
Arska-täti
Telepaattisia kykyjä omaava Billy haastaa Äidin kaksintaisteluun, mutta menettää lopulta yhteyden. Yago huomaa tilaisuutensa tulleen ja tarjoutuu tuhoamaan häijyt siniset Äidin avulla. Sisällissodan aikaisella armeijalla ei kuitenkaan häijyjä sinisiä voiteta.
Thistle
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't even know anymore. These books are so short, I can't keep track what happens in one as opposed to the next.

There are three different alien species along with the last of the humans, all fighting for control of Mother (the ship). These two books were about a war, a "final battle" between the aliens, the humans just trying to stay alive.

In addition to the editing, one of the characters is really reducing my enjoyment of the series. He's the US president's son, spoiled rotten. As the book
Julie Decker
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
The ship, Mother, is engaging with Billy. This ship has desires and wants to not be alone anymore, and Mother agrees to make a new home for the desperate remaining humans if only they will do her one favor: kill the Meanies. Well, no one thinks that's a good idea except Yago, and that usually means it's a bad idea. Too bad the ship jacks into Yago's mind and creates a battle scenario, and there's no going back. Yago isn't the sanest of characters, and this only makes it worse. We now also get to ...more
Krystl Louwagie
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm happy that this book really felt important to the progression of the story-things are finally really happening here, people are really taking a stand and clear divides are forming, also, now it's clearer to see the importance and shape of the over all large plot, instead of things just happening and reactions. Events are coming together. And, I'm still happy with the imagery, characters, etc. For now though, I'll have to stop reading, as I don't have any of the rest of the books in this ...more
Wendy
Mar 28, 2008 rated it liked it
It has been a little while since I read #5 in this series, but I was really looking forward to getting back to it.

This book was okay. Not a lot of action. We did get a closer look at the Blue Meanies (Children) who showed up at about the same time that the Remnants were rescued by Mother. We get a better understanding of what Mother is and what is happening.

The Remnants come together to battle the Blue Meanies, but by the end of the book they have again divided into two distinct groups,
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was good, I liked it.
Swankivy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I swear this is one of the coolest covers ever. Anyway, when these were coming out I had to read them immediately. Heh, Yago's insane! Insaaaaane!
Trihaly
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as much as the rest in the series, but it has some interesting aspects. The battles of wills were interesting, and it was fun to see how the mind can translate to reality.
Erika  Forth
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was OBSESSED with this series in middle school.
Z
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Things are getting really weird, but the over-arching plot is significantly progressing, which is a good thing. I'm interested to see what's going to happen with that baby.
Azri
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the "showdown" between Mother and Billy. I liked the chance to see how she felt and I eagerly look forward to seeing how their relationship continues to progress.
Corey
Rosie
Aug 28, 2011

• Tarinoita Muumilaaksosta
  • Puputyttö
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Written in the Stars: Constellations, Facts and Folklore for the Armchair Astronomer
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)
  • Pale Fire
  • Who Will Comfort Toffle?
  • The Unwanted Guest
  • The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My
  • Den farliga resan
  • Muistojenlukija (Väki, #1)
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 4
  • The Gold-Bug and Other Tales
  • Shalimar the Clown
  • Lily and Dunkin
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Remnants (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Mayflower Project (Remnants, #1)
  • Destination Unknown (Remnants, #2)
  • Them (Remnants, #3)
  • Nowhere Land (Remnants, #4)
  • Mutation (Remnants, #5)
  • Isolation (Remnants, #7)
  • Mother, May I? (Remnants, #8)
  • No Place Like Home (Remnants, #9)
  • Lost and Found (Remnants, #10)
  • Dream Storm (Remnants, #11)