Start by marking “Openly, Honestly (Openly Straight, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Openly, Honestly (Openly Straight, #1.5)

Openly, Honestly

(Openly Straight #1.5)

Rafe Goldberg was planning to spend winter break at home in Colorado openly mourning what he almost had with Ben. He wasn't expecting his best friend, Claire Olivia, to kidnap him. And he definitely wasn't expecting what she has planned to cheer him up...

Ben Carver was honestly planning to spend winter break at home in New Hampshire not thinking about Rafe. But he wasn't e
Published February 28th 2017 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Openly, Honestly, please sign up.
Jeff As Jessica noted, you can "buy" it for free on Kindle. If for some reason you don't have access to Kindle, yes, you can read Honestly Ben without…moreAs Jessica noted, you can "buy" it for free on Kindle. If for some reason you don't have access to Kindle, yes, you can read Honestly Ben without reading this. This is basically two short stories, one about each of the characters and what they do while home on break after the events of Openly Straight. Definitely worth reading, but not critical.(less)

prag ♻
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I was Rafe freakin' Goldberg, and I could hold my antlers high with the thought that I'd always have my best friend in the world, and I'd always have my parents, and one time, I was lucky enough to be loved by Ben Carver.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
It was okay.
I actually cared much more about Ben's chapters than Rafe's, but it's totally a personal thing. I think after having read Openly Straight I, as an introvert, was completely fed up with Rafe's extremely extroverted parents (and best friend), if that even makes sense.
But now I'm really excited to read the sequel with Ben's PoV!
K.
Well this was...unexpected, to be honest. I had no idea it was even a thing, and then I was searching Amazon to see when Honestly, Ben comes out and Amazon was like "Not until the end of March, dude. But in the meantime, maybe consider this novella that goes between Openly Straight and Honestly, Ben?" and I was like "OMG YES GIVE IT TO ME".

Look, it's a 50 page novella that's meant to tell you what happened in between the two books. There isn't a huge amount I can say about it, except that I lov
Vernie♡
If Honestly Ben wrecks me like this novella and Openly Straight did, I'm in trouble

----------------
HAHAHAHA GUESS WHO'S TABLET HAS REFUSED TO WORK SINCE I POSTED THIS SO I HAVEN'T READ IT ASDFGHJKL

WHY IS LIFE LIKE THIS

BUT ALSO...... thanks Obama (miss u)

THIS JUST DOWNLOADED ON MY KINDLE AHHHH I'M SO READY HERE WE GO

Me on February 28th:
Sapphire
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella, 2017, young-adult
A cute novella, but I don't think it was really necessary. Nothing substantial really happened, it was more like a very short intro into Ben's life at home. If you really love Rafe and Ben, you might enjoy this more than I did.
✿Ivy Roots✿
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Rafe and Ben and Claire Olivia and this made me love them even more!! :)

So I know this review is supposed to be 20 words long, but I'm in AP Stat right now waiting to throw a pool noodle across the hallway... anyways, this book was really good and gave me a lot of insight to the characters that Konigsberg introduced to me in the first book.
Melissa
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good short in between story. I cannot wait to get to Honestly Ben. It was nice seeing more of Ben's family. I don't know how I feel about his dad. Ben seems scared of him, but maybe not physically 100%. His dad comes across as very hard, focused on work, money and not having fun. Ben being with a guy...I don't think he will approve and fear he would toss Ben out. Time will tell.
Daniel
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, lgbt
Amazing! So happy we get Bens POV in some of these chapters. We get a short glimpse at his family life and it explains why he is scared to admit to himself that he might be bisexual.

Also, Claire Olivia is starting to grow on me. She is so sweet to Rafe and is there for him when he is so vulnerable.

... On to Honestly Ben now ! I neeeeed to know how this ends.
Fandolatry
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
For such a short book, this really gave me a lot of feelings. And provoked a lot of tears. I'd love more exposition, but I can understand that this wan't intended to be a novel and I appreciate it for what it is.
Kerry A
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so excited for Honestly Ben, but I'm nervous too. The pragmatist in me knows that Ben being happy and healthy is the main objective, but the other part of me who loves Rafe selfishly wants them together, whatever the price.
Ami
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars rounded up

Basically a short visit to Rafe and Ben during Christmas break at two different places (geographically). It offers a glimpse about their state of mind and what might happen ahead before moving forward with Ben's story in Honestly Ben.

I forgot how I enjoyed Konigsberg's writing. I'm in a terrible book funk for the past week and this helped a bit.

Though I'm not jumping into Honestly Ben soon, afraid that my current mood will ruin it :(
Nick
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
A Good Bridge Over the Gap

A very good follow up to lead into the true sequel. Not much happens, but we do get a good look into the differences between Race and Ben and their respective families, and Christmases. And I think we get a good amount of character depth and introspection. Not development per se, but definitely some insight into Ben and Rafe as characters
Kaje Harper
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a free short story, in between Openly Straight and the soon-to-be-released Honestly Ben. It doesn't open a lot of new ground, but it does give us a feel for where these two guys are at, in the weeks after the end of the first book. It also gives us a look at Ben's family, which will no doubt inform our understanding of the next novel.

The biggest complaint I have here is that it is in alternating first person POV, and at least in my epub version, there is no warning of that. The second ch
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
Cute little post-holiday holiday short story. It doesn't really add anything to the series as a whole, but it was fun to spend a little time with Claire Olivia as she tries to cheer up Rafe, and we get to meet Ben's family which was nice.
Rodolfo
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-mayo, favs
Cuando termine de leer “Openly Straight” tuve muchos sentimientos encontrados por aquel final tan amargo que nos dio el autor e incluso en mi reseña escribí que era uno de esos libros que no quieres que termine por lo mucho que gusta e incluso fue de mis mejores lecturas del año pasado; así que cuando supe que la historia continuaría no podía estar más feliz, pero entre “Openly Straight” y “Honestly Ben” que es el segundo libro de la bilogía, esta “Openly, Honestly” un libro que nos deja conocer ...more
Josh Hereth
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short sort of promotional thing for the second book of this series coming out later this month. It was really refreshing to be back with Rafe and Ben. Konigsberg was pretty smart to release this with such a gap between Openly Straight and Honestly Ben to bring the characters back into mind.
Cecilia
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Short and bittersweet story about Rafe and Ben spending time with their families. (How come I read a lot of christmas stories right now?)
Emma
A cute little short story that I would have enjoyed more if I had read it at Christmastime, I guess.
Amanda
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I love hearing Ben's voice, as well as Rafe's and this makes me so excited for the new book!
Tom
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This little short story from Bill Konigsberg is a perfect bridge from Openly Straight to its upcoming sequel, Honestly Ben (out March 28). The story takes place during Christmas break and the five chapters alternate between Rafe and Ben in Colorado and New Hampshire, respectively. It's a great way to ease us into the change of POV from Rafe to Ben in the sequel.

As if that weren't enough, we also get a sneak peek of Honestly Ben, which I'm already pretty sure will be everything I wanted it to be.
Susan
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it

I'd forgotten how much I liked Rafe and Ben. This was a sweet little in-between short story to get us ready for book 2 of the series.

It got me excited about the new book coming out and also pumped to reread book 1, Openly Straight!

Pjm12
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A glimpse into the lives of Rafe and Ben that fits between their novels. I am saving my pennies (a 'mum' expression), until I can justify the purchase of Ben's book, which I desperately want.

Although, there is lots to read about it, while I wait to actually read it.
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute little quick read as a sort of (I'm assuming) prequel to the second book in the Openly Straight series. I really liked Ben's POV and I care for him much more after reading this than I had prior to now. I'm excited for book 2.
Renato
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, short-stories
Al terminar Openly Straight quedan unas ganas de querer más y este relato ayuda a saciar un poco esas ganas. Aquí no hay un verdadero desarrollo de la historia en sí, comienza justo en donde termina el primer libro y lo que hace es mostrar, con algo más de detalle, el estado emocional en el que se encuentran los protagonistas luego de los sucesos que recién experimentaron.
Mary McFarlane
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was cute and short but I didn’t really see the point of this book. Glad it was free
Vero
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute! :)
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Cute! I adored Rafesmas. I think the gesture made me like Claire Olivia as Rafe's BFF more. Wasn't very interested in Ben's chapters tho.
Andrea
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
My only complaint is that this was too short! I liked getting to see Ben’s side of things also. It was refreshing!
Beatrice
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bev
Teeny, tiny freebie catch up with Rafe and Ben in that sad and awkward Xmas gap after Rafe admitted to Ben that he was gay and was sorry that he hadn't told him before, and prior to next semester starting at college.

Ben's family life is unhappy to say the least, his dad is a farmer and seems to work all the hours there are just to keep things afloat, never seeming to have any time for his wife and kids. His mum is miserable, the only thing that makes Ben happy at home is his relationship with hi
  • Lane’s (Life According to Maps #3)
  • Nobody's Butterfly
  • The Suicidal Peanut
  • DJ Dangerfield
  • Compensations (Life Lessons, #3.5)
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Changing on the Fly: A Hockey Charity Anthology
  • Love Spell
  • Right Hand Red
  • Bite Marks and Bendy Straws (A series of vignettes, #1)
  • If the Stars Fall (The Making of a Man, #5)
  • The Naughty Boy (Boy, #1.5)
  • To Wish for Impossible Things (Tales from Foster High, #3.5)
  • Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
  • Man of the Match
  • Forever. I Promise.
  • Watching Elijah Fall
  • Play It Safe (Glasgow Lads, #2.5)
Bill Konigsberg was born in 1970 in New York City. Expectations were high from birth - at least in terms of athletics. His parents figured he'd be a great soccer player, based on his spirited kicking from inside the womb. As it turned out, the highlight of his soccer career was at Camp Greylock in 1978, when he was chosen for the Camp's "D" team. There were only four levels. Bill played alongside ...more

Openly Straight (3 books)
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • Honestly Ben (Openly Straight, #2)