Start by marking “Happy Birthday, Little Hoo!” as Want to Read:
Happy Birthday, Little Hoo!

Happy Birthday, Little Hoo!

Whooo’s Birthday is Coming Up Soon?

Little Hoo is back and it’s time to celebrate his birthday! The delightful little owl has a new book and can’t wait to share it. Actually, Little Hoo can’t wait for his birthday so his patient parents help him count down the days. A perfect book for a birthday boy or girl who can’t wait to celebrate.
ebook
Published March 13th 2017 by Xist Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Happy Birthday, Little Hoo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Birthday, Little Hoo!

Start your review of Happy Birthday, Little Hoo!
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, children
This adorable book tells about the impatience and anticipation of Little Hoo, a young owl, who has ten days to wait until his birthday. The countdown to the event starts at day 10 and counts down. Each day Little Hoo asks if it is his birthday yet and his mother replies tht is is a day to do a specific taks. Each task helps prepare for his birthday including such things as Market day, Cleaning day, Laundry Day etc. Finally, the day of Little Hoo's birthday finally arrives and they all celebrate. ...more
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happy Birthday, Little Hoo is a fun addition to Brenda Ponnay's Little Hoo childrens picture book series. Young readers follow along in the days preceeding Little Hoo's birthday. From running errands and chores around the house and preparing for the party, Little Hoo is impatient with excitement as Mama Hoo counts down the days.
____________________________________

In my opinion, this book is ideally suited for young children, ranging from toddler to preschool aged. This book presents a fun way to
Rebecca
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was really cute! My son is 4 and loves animals, counting and of course talking about Birthdays, cake and parties.

I loved the count down in the story and we had fun counting down together and reciting the numbers. It also engaged conversation as to what Little Hoo was doing on each day that wasn't his birthday. Any book that engages my little one and has him talking about experiences in his life is a win for me!

Adorable!

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review
Amy Ingalls
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a review copy for free from booksirens, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

This review is by my granddaughter Aubrey who is almost 5.

Thumbs up! I really liked this book. 4 thumbs up! It was like me because I ask a lot of questions every day. I really liked the pictures and it was so cute.
Tara
I received this ARC from Netgalley for an honest review.
Little Hoo is back and this time it's almost his birthday. It's just ten days away and Little Hoo is patiently waiting. Each day he wakes up and asks if it's his birthday and each day his mom tells him, not yet but soon. Good book for counting down to a special day. Nice extra craft idea at the end.
C Exley Books (Cassandra)
I just read this with my five year old son as his bedtime story. We are loving the Little Hoo stories.

I found this book on BookSirens and got a paperback for my son. My son loved this book. He is currently working on counting forwards and backwards at school so this was good for helping him count backwards. This would be a great addition to every parent's library to read to their young child.

All questions answered by my son (Nicholas).

Do you like this book?
Nicholas said "Yes"

What do you think of
Cynthia  Gutzwiller
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an extravaganza of a book. After chapter one, I did not want to put it down. I bet you won't either. This is an easy flowing book that will be a great read alone book or a read together book, so you can share in the enthusiasm.
Hannah and Nick were standing outside the Plaza Theater when Hannah had an idea. They had to go to the next town to go to the movie and hope they weren't sold out. They needed places to hold school concerts and other functions. Why not fix this place. She went and
Courtney
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a beautifully illustrated book! As a teacher this book is amazing for delivering mathematics. It explores the concept of time, sequencing, numbers as well as supporting communication and language development.

With just ten days until the Birthday, Little Hoo asks each day is it his birthday. The book counts down and uses numerals, written numbers and days of the week. The pictures in this book also tell their own story. They visit the library to get party games books, they buy decorations, t
Leslie
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Please note: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.. Shoutout to BookSirens for the ARC of this book. Nothing can turn my day around like an adorable kids' book.

Gahh this was so cute! Would definitely get it for my niece. It's a great combo of learning and fun. Little Hoo encourages kids to count along for the 10 days leading up to their birthday and is filled with both party-prep activities, household chores, and community activities. I especially
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What I Loved: This is one book in a series of Little Hoo book, all of which have wonderful illustrations. This one was just a great as the others. Full of fun, colorful images to keep children interested in each page.

How I Felt: This book let me down a bit. It was a bit too repetitive, where the other books change the language used on each page. This book basically said the same thing on each page, but changed the number of days left until Little Hoo's birthday. The excitement and fun that I fou
Karen Nelson
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! As a pediatric speech language pathologist, I'm always looking for books for children to improve their language and communication skills. This book will fit the bill.

How often have we had a child have difficulty with time, asking "how much longer" or "Is is Tuesday yet? " . This book is about an owl who asks his mom each day if it is his birthday yet? It counts down from 10 days, and has an activity they will do in preparation for his birthday. Beautifully illustrated, I
Aphrodite MK
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A charming and happy little book that is easy to read to young readers and get them to engage and read along, or at least to follow the pictures.
It is a short story about anticipation for a birthday with a countdown of teachable moments about the activities and preparations that take place for a party such as mail, shopping, house cleaning, baking, etc. All children who get excited about their birthdays will relate to the cute little owl getting excited about his big day. Bonus activities for k
Christine
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved all of the realistic components of this book. For example; my daughter Jillian's birthday is in March. She has been saying her birthday is tomorrow since Christmas haha. This book is perfect in introducing references of time to children. My favorite page was the exhausted owl mom in the grocery store. I feel you sister! :) This book is a must for every teacher's classroom library! Happy Birthday, Little Hoo would also make a perfect gift for the little one in your life. I received an adv ...more
Cathy
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happy Birthday, Little Hoo!is a delightful, interactive picture book. The story itself captures the impatience and excitement of a child waiting for his birthday party. The illustrations are simple, clean and colorful. The storyline contains a number countdown that encourages the reader to count along, and the inside cover encourages the child to find specific pictures a la "I Spy". This book would be a great read-aloud or read-together. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leavi ...more
Roberta
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute little picture book about a young owl who is impatiently awaiting their birthday. It doesn’t really work on a black and white kindle, showing two pages at a time and being very small. The illustrations are lovely, and I’m sure in full colour they’re even better. There’s even an owl to cut out to make a party game with.

Jade aka MrsTosh
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewing, childrens, arc
What a super sweet book. I read this to my 3-year-old Godson leading up to his 4th birthday. He was delighted with it. As an adult I found the book to be really nicely set out, clear to read and the colours and pictures used are lovely and vibrant. Really helped him I think to try and understand the time concept a little more, especially as we re-read it as the days got nearer.

Julie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute little book counting down to a little one's birthday. My son just had his birthday and he was counting down for a while so he could really relate to the book. It teaches counting from 10 down to zero (the birthday) and also shows how many tasks have to be done one a daily basis and as preparation for a party.

Gena - My Book Reviews for You
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-first
I enjoyed this book! It was a very cute book for children. Especially if they like owls, or call owls hoo hoos. Little Hoo is very impatient about his upcoming birthday and keeps asking if this new day is his birthday. He sounds the same as any young child would when they want to do something and ask repeatedly if now they can do something or go somewhere and their parent says not right now.
Leonie Stanley
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happy Birthday, Little Hoo is a fun book illustrating the excitement for an upcoming birthday. Each day is filled with activities in preparation for the big day. The illustrations are colourful and well executed.

Erica Reed
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 year old's favorite!

This book is fun to read with my daughter and she seems to notice something new in the illustrations every time we read it. I also think it has helped her to identify written numbers. It bothers me every time though that the calendars at the beginning and end of the book have two different days marked for Little Hoo's birthday.
Regina Peterson
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a cute book. It's a perfect gift to give a child that is excited about their upcoming birthday. Basically you follow Little Hoo and his mother as they prepare for his birthday party. I loved the art work and found the writing perfect for a children's book. I would recommend this book for any child. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Elaine Ciarnau
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The countdown to Little Hoo's Birthday is exactly how children act. The pictures were bright and fun. I liked that they had other things to do for the days when it wasn't his birthday. Great counting book for beginners.
I recommend the book.

Amanda
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute story! The illustrations are bright and adorable. It’s a great little read and portrays a little ones birthday anticipation so well
Stacy
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cute counting down book for little ones who love owls. My little girl loves it!!
Patricia Timbrook
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grandparents, parents, teachers
Recommended to Patricia by: Book Sirens
Shelves: children-s-books
Children’s Book Review of HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LITTLE HOO
By Brenda Ponnay
Published 2017 by Xist Publishing
Children’s Book Reviewer: PatSays ( Patricia Ann Timbrook) https://booksirens.com/book/GGPHRRT
“Did your child count down until his or her birthday? Did you? In author Ponnay’s 13-page picture book, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LITTLE HOO, the young owl, Hoo, asks Mother Owl 10 days out, Is Today My Birthday. Mother Owl answers, No; and, quickly ascribes something different to each day, such as a trip to the
Ash (It's a Word Vomit World)
“Happy Birthday, Little Hoo!” is more about the anticipation every child feels about their birthday than the birthday itself. Each page he asks, “Is today my birthday?” and his mother answers, “Not today, Little Hoo…” and then tells him how many more days until his birthday.

Oh yes, I’ve been there. Whether you’re a child or a parent, this story is relatable. We’ve been playing this game in my house since December, and my daughter’s birthday isn’t until May! I haven’t been counting down the days
Erika
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
--I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are purely my own and not influenced in any way.--
This book was very cute and talked all about how to wait patiently and count down the days until something exciting: something I believe most kids can relate to! While not much happens, the art and Little Hoo's excitement is palpable and it leaves a bit of room for discussion about times when you or your young readers had a hard time waiting for something fun!
Storywraps
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This charming book chronicles ten days in the life of a baby owl who is waiting impatiently for his birthday party to begin. It's countdown time.......

He has to wait ten long days for his special event to take place which seems like a lifetime when you are little. In this waiting period he learns that parties just don't happen spontaneously... you have to plan and prepare carefully for them.

Each day of the week brings something new that has to be organized. Monday he gets the scoop on the time
Ryan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A typical counting backwards book. Little Hoo wants to know if it is his birthday yet. And every day, not yet. What makes this book stand out from others is there is a search and find aspect, and even a party game in the back. However libraries always hate it when there are instructions in a book to “cut along the dotted lines”
Donna Maguire
I loved this book and will definitely be getting a hard copy for when my little girl arrives later on this year! The images are bright and clear, its fun and really enjoyable overall. 5 stars from me.

• Miku Says Find Me
  • Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey from NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • The Eric Carle Ready-to-Read Collection: Have You Seen My Cat?; The Greedy Python; Pancakes, Pancakes!; Rooster Is Off to See the World; A House for Hermit Crab; Walter the Baker
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Groundhog Day!