Start by marking “A McKettrick Christmas (McKettricks, #10)” as Want to Read:
A McKettrick Christmas (McKettricks, #10)

A McKettrick Christmas (McKettricks #10)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,839 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
Lizzie McKettrick is coming home for Christmas. And Indian Rock's new schoolteacher has a surprise in store for her family--a special young man, Whitley Carson. He might seem a little too interested in the McKettrick money, but Lizzie's certain Whitley cares for her deep down.

Yet fate has a surprise of its own for Lizzie: Dr. Morgan Shane. When their homebound train is hal

Published November 1st 2008 by HQN (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A McKettrick Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A McKettrick Christmas

jenjn79
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
This was a short, sweet, Christmas tale featuring another of the (historical) McKettricks. Since it's one of those gift-sized hardcovers that's only 280 pages of decent-sized, widely-spaced print, I read it in only two short sittings. But it was still enjoyable to read.

The McKettrick in this story is Lizzie McKettrick, who is the little girl Holt (McKettrick's Choice) didn't know he had until she was brought to him at 12-year's of age. Lizzie is now almost 20. She's finished schooling away from
Carol
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Thhe McKettrick family that Linda Lael Miller has written of have all gathered for Christmas. You'll be reunited with all of the Mckettrick men and their wives in this tale. It had me laughing, crying and saying to myself "No one writes a better western romance". A beautiful story of love,family ,miracles and strength. Loved it.
Eastofoz
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Readers looking for a sickly sweet no-story romance with a Christmas setting
Pure over-ripe fruit sweetness here with no h/h storyline development and fade to black only scenes when it comes to the few pages of romance. Very Christmassy but a dumbdowned story. Schmaltz and molasses 100%, yuck :-/
Anne Osterlund
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
A quick, charming Christmas story about a train-car load of passengers trapped in an avalanche, all of whom must learn about both themselves and each other in order to survive through the holiday. Including a headstrong potential schoolmistress, a skeptical young doctor, and a highly unusual peddler.
Krissie
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Lizzie McKettrick is coming home for Christmas. And Indian Rock's new schoolteacher has a surprise in store for her family�a special young man, Whitley Carson. He might seem a little too interested in the McKettrick money, but Lizzie's certain Whitley cares for her deep down
Kim
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
For a Christmas romance, I really liked it. Little romance, some suspense, lots of characters to get to know, and the spirit of Christmas.
Delia
Dec 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I totally love this entire series......and never get tired of the new stories that allow me to "visit" w/this family......
Becky
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
I enjoyed this book. It was the first LLM book I have read and now it looks like I'm going to have to read the rest of the series. Since it's #10, I have a lot of McKetterick reading to do! :)
Ann Keller
Excellent historical romance, filled with thrilling sequences and a chilling train wreck caused by an avalanche.
Michelle
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've never read anything by her before, but really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading the whole McKettrick series.
Deb
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although this is a romance (and I knew who was going to end up with whom), I was hooked from the opening.

I love Linda Lael Miller's writing style. It is clear and clean. Her characters are also engaging and full-bodied.

I chose this for a Christmas read, but will be reading more of Linda's writing.

Thoroughly enjoyable read.

Julianne
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Yegads, is this what sells? Schmaltz and superficial romance and throbbing bosoms and such? Oh, I read it alright but geez, it's thin on actual character development and story. There's not a lot holding this together except a little spitfire from Lizzie, the main character.
Judy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love her books.
Cruth
Author: Linda Lael Miller
First published: 2009
Length: 2247 kindle locations
Setting: Historical, 1896. Between Stone Creek and Indiana Rock, Arizona.
Sex: Explicit-ish. At the end..
Hero: Physician.
Heroine: Teacher.
Cheating: Heroine is “almost” engaged and travelling with her beau.

All these Linda Lael Miller books seem to intermingle…

Anyway, A McKettrick Christmas has Lizzie, Holt’s daughter from McKettrick's Choice, returning to Indiana Rock to teach. A short Christmas story leaning heavily on “Ch
Jackie
Book Info
Published November 1st 2008 by Harlequin Books(first published January 1st 2008)
original title A McKettrick Christmas
ISBN 1426823754 (ISBN13: 9781426823756)
edition language English

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Melissa
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, cowboy, christmas
So you don't have to read the other books in the series to enjoy this one. Its a nice Christmas tale, even if it does have some weird elements to it. And it is pretty exciting for a Christmas romance.

Lizzie McKettrick is on her way home to her family. And she's bringing a special someone with her who she met in San Francisco. But on the way, their train is derailed by an avalanche. Her beau quickly proves he isn't the man she thought he was and her eye lights on the quiet doctor who's been trave
Lover of Romance
Lizzie McKettrick, is traveling home from San Francisco with a prospective future fiancee, and planning on surprising her family with Whitley Carson. But then a avalanche strikes the train they are traveling on and they are stranded witha blizzard outside and not much hope of surviving with a likely chance of them on the edge (which could tip their car over), and another avalanche that could down upon them at any time. Dr Morgan Shane takes charge and Lizzie is drawn to him in a way that she has ...more
Barb
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Lizzie McKettrick is homebound with a Christmas Eve surprise for her family--Whitley Carson. He might seem too interested in the McKettrick money, but she's certain Whitley cares for her. But fate has a surprise for Lizzie--Morgan Shane. When their train is stranded by an avalanche the handsome doctor takes charge with Lizzie by his side. With faith, hard work and some unexpected help, it might be a joyous McKettrick family Christmas after all.
All of the characters are wholesome, cute to the poi
BJ Rose
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I read the first book in this series - High Country Bride (McKettrick Cowboys, #1) - and liked it. Since I wasn't quite ready to let go of Christmas yet, I decided to jump ahead & read this one. It's a strong 3* with a little magical touch in it - well, it wouldn't be Christmas without that! A quick and enjoyable read - Lizzie's on her way home for Christmas when an avalanche derails the train and strands them in the middle of nowhere during a snowstorm. Lizzie has faith that her family will ...more
Mary
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
This Christmas novella features action and drama on the frontier. I haven't read any of the other McKettrick books, so this introduced me to many of the characters in the series. I'll definitely want to check out more of Linda Lael Miller's books!

In A McKettrick Christmas, Lizzie McKettrick and a group of passengers get trapped on a train when an avalanche nearly sweeps them down the mountainside. She's on her way home for Christmas, and she knows that her family will come for her, but will they
Relyn
Aug 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Relyn by: found it at the library
We've taken a four day weekend and turned it into a Staycation. It's our last big hoorah before school starts. We've been using our local (very awesome) library's Fun and Flip Card that Sloane earned in their summer reading program. We've gone all over the place and done so many things this weekend. One of the things we did was take Sloane over the the branch of the library near where we used to live. It has a train car that the kids can get in and sit for reading. It's wonderful. Anyway, I pick ...more
Amy
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my "Christmas classics" that I re-read every year. A sweet reminder of the magic of Christmas!

Though this was published as the 10th in the series, it actually harkens back to around 5 chronologically. I'm so glad she revisited the 'historical' McKettricks. I always love a Christmas romance and I like the hint of magic that she brings into the story as well. I just wish it wasn't e-book only and that it didn't cost $9.99 for a 129-pg novel! Still, in the end it was worth it
Manju
Jul 16, 2009 added it
I have read the stone creek series by the same author and have liked them. That is how I ended picking this book.
This book is a very quick and easy read - something you can read while waiting in the airport (a very distracting place) - does not need much focus.
This is the first book that I have read in the McKettrick Series by the same author and one plus point I have to say it has whet my appetite about Holt's story.
Dee

Will they be rescued?

Heartwarming story
Back to historical line
Short and easy read

This is another example of a holiday story in a series released in hardcover. Kind of pisses me off, because the story is shorter than normal in the series, and costs more. But you see this a lot now, selling out to cash in. I should have gotten it from the library, but at least I bought used, not new. :(
Judie
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I agree with an earlier comment about the story being sweet and unselfish in the beginning, and rather self-indulgent and selfish at the end. I think the characters of the good doctor and the heroine would have been more realistic if they had also behaved with old-fashioned honor regarding their upcoming wedding vows. I was disappointed.
Katherine
Sweet story. The McKettricks are always a family to be reckoned with and this story is no different. Not even weather can stop them. The characters Morgan (a poor Doctor) and Lizzie (schoolmarm and Holt's daughter) are likeable enough. Just not much to the story other than Mr Christian or Christmas as some know him as, adds a little mystery. Do you believe?
Dawn ♥ romance
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, christmas
What a great holiday historical romance. A caught in a snowstorm story that had me crying in the middle of the book. i liked everything about this, plot, action, romance. I added it to my favorites. Traveling with her boyfriend, Lizzie's train is hit by an avalanche and fortunately Dr Morgan is aboard to help the injured.
Emily Higgins
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lizzie McKettrick is returning home to Indian Rock, Arizona after attending school in San Francisco. She is bringing with her a man whom she hopes will become her husband. When the train is hit with an avalanche, another passenger, Dr. Morgan Shane, does everything he can to make sure everyone survives while Lizzie's friend thinks only of himself. A heartwarming story.
Crystal Baird
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the whole series. Read it pretty quickly. I love that it is separated into sections.

Fun read. Not too serious. You will get sucked in by this family. I recommend reading them back to back. Each book gets better.

Sad that the series is over
Ruth
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western
A MUST READ for anyone who likes Christmas stories, & Western Themed Historical Romances!! An absolutely perfect choice for a Christmas read if you qualify. I recommend this one to all Linda Lael Millers fans. It is an exceptional tale of a tragedy that can bring you to the love of your life! This one I will own in hardcover...It's that Good!!!
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • Early Dawn (Keegan-Paxton #4)
  • Lone Star Winter: The Winter Soldier\Cattleman's Pride
  • Jake (The Cowboys, #1)
  • Audrey and the Maverick (Men of Defiance, #2)
  • Sweetwater Seduction
  • A Christmas Waltz (Christmas, #3)
  • Mail-Order Marriages: Rocky Mountain Wedding\Married in Missouri\Her Alaskan Groom (Alaska, #3)
  • Long Road Home (Sons of Chance, #7)
  • Jingle All The Way
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...

McKettricks (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • High Country Bride (McKettricks, #1)
  • Shotgun Bride (McKettricks, #2)
  • Secondhand Bride (McKettricks, #3)
  • McKettrick's Choice (McKettricks, #4)
  • Sierra's Homecoming (McKettricks, #5)
  • McKettrick's Luck (McKettricks, #6)
  • McKettrick's Pride (McKettricks, #7)
  • McKettrick's Heart (McKettricks, #8)
  • The McKettrick Way (McKettricks, #9)
  • Tate (McKettricks, #11)