Start by marking “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” as Want to Read:
The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

(The Five People You Meet in Heaven #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  660,259 ratings  ·  24,785 reviews
From the author of the phenomenal #1 New York Times bestseller Tuesdays with Morrie, a novel that explores the unexpected connections of our lives, and the idea that heaven is more than a place; it's an answer.

Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday
Paperback, First, 196 pages
Published September 23rd 2003 by Hyperion (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Five People You Meet in Heaven, please sign up.
Karim Farag Definitely yes, Albom used simple, clear language in this book.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Best Books Ever
94,228 books — 230,247 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Books of the Decade: 2000s
7,035 books — 28,384 voters

More lists with this book...

·  660,259 ratings  ·  24,785 reviews

Start your review of The Five People You Meet in Heaven
AJ Griffin
Jul 27, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
what providence: i just remembered this book after I read some holier-than-though pretentious bullshit Mitch Albom wrote about Harry Potter. Mr. Albom-Winfrey seems to think the mass marketing of Harry Potter has ruined the theoretical lives of such figures as Winnie the Pooh, Clifford, Curious George, etc., despite that his own shitty books have been thrust upon the world under the same kind of marketing blitz.

As if I weren't annoyed enough at his article, I was subsequently reminded of this l
gunne
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don't understand the one star reviews for the book. Are these directed to the author, Mitch Albom, because he openly dissed the Harry Potter phenomena via a 594-word short story? Because as far as I can tell, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a decent piece of literature that doesn't deserve the harsh punishment (presumably) directed to its writer. It's well-written, has a handful of good quotes, and is overall an inspiring and personal take on one's idea of the moment between death and th ...more
Fretty
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
"Lost love is still love, Eddie. It just takes a different form, that's all. You can't hold their hand... You can't tousle their hair... But when those senses weaken another one comes to life... Memory... Memory becomes your partner. You hold it... you dance with it... Life has to end, Eddie... Love doesn't."

The book that taught me the idea of death, God and life's never ending unanswered questions.

I vaguely remember when exactly I read this but I remember I read this couple of months before I
Fergus
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HEADLINE: FILTHY RICH WRITER CASHES IN ON GEEZERS’ CHRONIC PAIN?

Right, kids?

The world is cut-and-dried SIMPLE - or IS it???

Well, wait till you’re inching painfully towards the Big 8-0, like me.

WHAT! Yet another sentimental old-timer gives this piece of jellied sugar syrup FIVE STARS?

Y'er darned tootin', kids.

Take away the fancy Amazon gift wrap with its shiny veneer and the Good Housekeeping seal of approval (you’re right, from the folks in the seniors' homes of course), and you have… WHAT?

A s
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom

The Five People You Meet In Heaven is a novel by Mitch Albom. It was published in 2003 by Hyperion and remained on the New York Times Best Seller list for 95 weeks.

It follows the life and death of a maintenance man named Eddie. Eddie is killed and sent to heaven, where he encounters five people who had a significant impact upon him while he was alive.

On Eddie's 83rd birthday, an amusement park ride at Ruby Pier (where he is responsible for maintena
Charlotte May
Reread Feb 2019

No matter how many times I read this book, its effect on me remains the same. Heart breaking and heart warming in equal measure.

"Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves."

****************************************

Original review

This book led Mitch Albom to become one of my favourite authors.
It's such a wonderful idea, that when yo
Lisa of Troy
Jul 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eddie just reached his 83rd birthday. Eddie is a maintenance worker at Ruby's Pier, but today is not like every other day. This is the last day of Eddie's life. In a freak accident at the amusement park, one of the carts comes unhinged, and Eddie rushes in to save a little girl below. Eddie meets five people who have impacted his life. Each of these people talks about how they impacted Eddie's life and leave him with a lesson.

Eddie thinks he is just a nobody: that he isn't famous, he had no sign
Jamie
Aug 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
One of the great things about checking out audiobooks from the public library is that I can take a chance on something I normally wouldn't buy, and I end up loving it. And then, of course, there are the times I take a chance on something I wouldn't normally like and end up really hating it as predicted. See if you can guess which is the case here by the end of this post.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is about Eddie, an amusement park maintenance guy who dies and goes to heaven. Spoiler alert
Ben
Jul 22, 2007 rated it did not like it
My face tightens into a mean spirited frown, I grind my teeth, my head starts to burn, I clench my fists, I begin to tremble; there is a tightness in my stomach. I rip the telephone off the wall and throw it out my nine-story window onto the street; I let out a barbaric, guttural, king-of-the-jungle, ape-like scream. I feel my pulse beating in my neck, a blood vessel snaps in the back of my head. I flip over my couch, CRASH! I kick a hole in the middle of my T.V. I like that my shin is cut, blee ...more
James
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-fiction
I enjoyed this book. It had a great voice, interesting characters and good messages. I liked how each of the 5 people were connected in different ways, some surprise. The style grabs you. I thought it was a good intro to learn more about how this author writes. Spiritual without getting too religious. Witty and charismatic on some levels. Endearing to see how you watch other people live, as well as guess what happens when you die. I will definitely read more from the author.
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Strangely, obliquely, like The Alchemist because this inspires strong emotions - most people will either like it alot and find inspiration and meaning, or loathe it entirely and dismiss it as drivel.

Similar in tone and emotion with his novel Tuesdays with Morrie. I think that the greatest achievement of this story is the dreamlike, subconscious mood and setting the author creates. He can get a bit syrupy, but not too bad to make this contextually a problem.

Albom raises some interesting, thought
Joelle

By Mitch Albom
208pp Passaic, New Jersey
ISBN-13: 9781401308582
Hyperion $10.80

This book was so amazing that it remained on the New York Best Seller List for 95 weeks. If the book wasn’t that marvelous why would it have remained there? Mitch Albom’s book The Five People You Meet In Heaven is an extraordinary book. You might think it’s a religious book because the title itself
Tanu
“Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you’re not really losing it. You’re just passing it on to someone else.”

Have there been any situations where you have no idea why a certain result occurred throughout your life? Reading this book can definitely help you answer these kinda questions.  This book deals with the life story of Eddie, an 83-year-old who dies and goes to heaven. It also shows how many threads are used to weave the quilt of life.

There is such meaning in this book t
Kellie
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2006-reads
Liz Janet
Jan 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Extreme simplification, ridiculous writing style, nonsense. Honestly, whatever this author was trying to do, whether making me cry tears of blood, philosophy over the meaning of life, or discover my connection with those around me, but he failed miserably at all of them.

How on the history of time was this book on the Bestseller list for over ninety weeks?
Reading_ Tamishly
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Talks about a dead man,Eddie, who goes to heaven to learn what heaven is not about and what heaven should mean.
He will meet five important people in heaven (who may or may not be someone he knows personally during his lifetime) giving him a chance to look back and see how his life actually was as opposed to how he perceived his life when he was alive. *Some important themes that are dealt with:
Sacrifices that were unknowingly made; grudges, anger, hatred, regrets ruining lives; unseen blessings;
Rachel
Mar 31, 2008 rated it did not like it
This is just the most awful book I have ever read. I hate this book!
Jonathan Ashleigh
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I get why old religious women might like this book, but it wasn't for me. ...more
Paul
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-novels
Not at all my normal fare, but it was a last thing at night read. I am a sceptic, so again this would not be a book that would attract me; it’s not that I like the idea of the cessation of existence at death, but I think that’s what happens. So how come I read this? Occasionally I buy books at auction because they can be very cheap; this came with assorted others, so ended up on the shelves.
It’s very brief and could easily be read in one sitting and is about a fairground worker called Eddie. It
Johann (jobis89)
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“All endings are also beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time.”

A maintenance man called Eddie dies and is sent to heaven, where he encounters five people - some known to him and some not - who each teach him a lesson.

If heaven truly exists, I sure hope it’s exactly like this! What sounds better than meeting up with loved ones who have gone before and have them explain to you the meaning of your life?

Religion and whether or not you believe in heaven or the afterlife is obviously a very pers
Phrynne
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This was okay but not as good as either The First Phone Call from Heaven or The Time Keeper. It was a pleasant enough story but it failed to really engross me in the various happenings.
Partly I think I found it an extremely weird idea of what Heaven might be like. The five people seemed a strange collection to me and I could understand if Eddie felt a bit miffed by who he got! I must admit I started thinking who I might want for my five people .........
Putting any criticism aside I read the book
Erin
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Buzzword A Thon
Golden Girls Read A Thon: Read a book under 200 pages

This is my 5th time reading this book. I can't explain why I love this book so much. I usually hate, Hate, HATE cheesy heartwarming stories like this.

And yet The Five People You Meet In Heaven just touches me on an emotional level.

Eddie is a grizzled old war veteran and widower, has spent the last 50 years working a job he hates at an amusement park and just feeling like his life has no meaning. Then on his 83rd birthday Eddie
STEPH
Nov 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tearjerker
What comes after death? What does heaven looks like?

I have a vague idea of heaven, I simply believe that when we pass on-- if there's really a place where our spirits travel, a place where pain does not exist, where we could be reunited with the ones we lost, where we could reminisce the lives we lived and the change we brought to the world. I am not a religious person, I can't even remember the last time I've been to church, but I know there is a God.

This book was very touching. Especially the
Maria
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
" Lost love is still love, Eddie. It takes a different form, that's all. You can't see their smile or bring them food or tousle their hair or move them around a dance floor. But when those senses weaken, another heightens. Memory, Memory becomes your partner. You nurture it. You hold it. You dance with it"
THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN tells the story of Eddie, the head of maintenance department at a well-known amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, Eddie had a severe accident. Along with Edd
Shovelmonkey1
I read this at Christmas but frankly after eating too many roasted vegetables, drinking too much merlot and making myself a comfortable nest out of discarded wrapping paper, I was disinclined to write a review. It's now six months later and I think I've finally worked off the last roasted potato so this seems like a timely juncture to write a review of The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Eddie works at the amusement park on the Ruby Pier. He's 83 and probably due for retirement. On his birthday,
Rachel Maniacup
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiring
Review to follow..
Paul Weiss
Recommended only for theists of any flavour

From the back cover summary:

“When Eddie dies, trying to save a child from a terrible accident, he wakes up in heaven. Heaven, he discovers is a place where your life on Earth is finally explained to you. It is explained by five people, friends or strangers, who somehow affected your life – and who changed its path forever.”

As a confirmed atheist, my first thought, of course, is why should an omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipotent god, subject his lo
Vanessa
I appreciate the sentiments of this book, the messages although a little schmaltzy made you stop and think about your own reflections on life, the little differences and the impact you can make that can leave impressions on other people whether your aware of it or not. I wasn’t completely sold on the style of the writing or the overall message, as an agnostic I feel somewhat conflicted about the whole heaven thing so I feel 3 stars is being generous.
Christian Guzman
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It’s interesting seeing how heaven is perceived in someone else’s eyes. I do believe there is an afterlife of some sort, but I don’t know what exactly lies there. I think the concept presented in this book in which you meet five people that in one way or another shaped your life or are interconnected to you is clever. Furthermore, they explain to you about your purpose, destiny, and their involvement in you. This made me think about how it is true, there are many circumstances which affect your ...more
Renee Amberg
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death to me is such an intriguing topic to read about. Many people view death as a tragedy, however, it seems to me that a lot of understanding comes from it as well. The memories that are revisited, the theories of the after life, the interconnection of souls, the new perspectives on life, and so many other mind expanding lessons. This book drew all of those topics into a touching story about a ‘simple’ man named Eddie. It’s a story of death, love, impact, and the soul. But, if I had to sum up ...more
Fluxactive Complete - Price, Reviews, Results, Uses And Benefits 1 3 Aug 21, 2022 10:31AM
Play Book Tag: The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom - 4 Stars 3 14 Mar 30, 2022 08:54PM
Ruby (Owner of Ruby Pier) 6 14 Nov 09, 2021 08:53PM
The main character 6 13 Nov 09, 2021 08:50PM
The Blue Man 6 13 Nov 09, 2021 08:47PM

• The Shack
  • Tuesdays With Morrie
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
  • The Alchemist
  • The Last Lecture
  • The Lovely Bones
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • Left Behind (Left Behind, #1)
  • The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
  • The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto: A Novel by Mitch Albom | Summary & Analysis
  • Eat, Pray, Love
  • The Kite Runner
  • The Four Agreements
  • The Help
  • Bookshop by the Sea
  • The Secret Life of Bees
  • It Ends with Us (It Ends with Us, #1)
See top shelves…
Mitch Albom is the author of numerous books of fiction and nonfiction, which have collectively sold more than forty million copies in forty-eight languages worldwide. He has written eight number-one New York Times bestsellers – including Tuesdays with Morrie, the bestselling memoir of all time, which topped the list for four straight years and celebrates its 25th anniversary in 2022 – award-winnin ...more

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2 books)
  • The Next Person You Meet in Heaven