Start by marking “Silver Wedding” as Want to Read:
Silver Wedding

Silver Wedding

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  8,367 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
Desmond and Deirdre Doyle will have been married for twenty-five years in October. It falls to the Doyles' eldest daughter, Anna, to decide how best to commemorate her parents' Silver Wedding. No use asking her sister Helen, living in her London convent, or her brother Brendan, who has chosen another form of exile on a bleak farm in the West of Ireland.

But it is unthinkabl
Published June 1st 2006 by Arrow (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Wedding

Deborah Ideiosepius
Not an author I have ever ever read much from. It is lighter fiction than I normally read but a friend whose reading opinions I respect is very fond of this author and so I thought I would give it a go.

Initially, I did find it very patchy reading I found the first main character, Anna difficult to bond with, because she was so very emotionally awkward and repressed, she redeemed herself tidily however and I became quite fond of her as well as several other characters. One of my favourite charac
Kathryn
This was a classic Maeve Binchy - a story told from several people’s viewpoints. It was a rather sad story of a celebration of a 25th wedding anniversary culminating after revelations of years of secrets and ensuing unhappiness - between friends, between parents and children, between siblings, between husbands and wives.

Not my favourite Maeve Binchy, but since she passed away several years ago and the books I haven’t read of hers are now necessarily limited, I’ll take whatever I can get! 3.5★
Obsidian
Silver Wedding follows the silver wedding anniversary of Deirdre and Desmond Doyle. All of the characters in this story are linked to them some way. I liked some of the characters and despised others. And the ending did not really work, you have to pretty much just guess what is going to come next.

The book is broken up looking at Deirdre and Desmond's three children (Anna, Brendan and Helen). Then we go into Desmond. After him we follow Father Hurley (he married Desmond and Deirdre). Then we fo
Sue
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, england
Desmond and Deirdre Doyle are approaching their Silver wedding anniversary. Anna, their oldest, believes that there needs to be a big party to celebrate the occasion - but knows she'll be the one to do all the work to plan it. Helen is living in a convent and Brendan is on a farm off in the wilds of Ireland. Also invited are Maureen Barry, who had been Maid of Honor, Frank Quigley who was Best Man and Father James Hurley who had been the officiating priest. It seems everyone has secrets that mu ...more
Kate
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Maeve Binchy writes of people whose lives would never touch mine. I can't decide if her writing is old-fashioned or maybe it's the topics she picks to write about. And yet, her characters have problems that I can relate to, some of them from a distance. And I can't stop reading, so eager to know how it all turns out.

In this book, people have been living lives of lies -- don't we all? -- and it all comes to a head when the silver wedding anniversary of a couple with three children is coming up. I
Barbara Peters

good characterzatiion
Mary
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
A silver anniversary is always an occasion to celebrate, and for Desmond and Deirdre Doyle this celebration is no less special. As the Doyles prepare to commemorate the twenty-five years of marriage they have shared, their closest family and friends gather around them in remembrance of such a happy time. However, it is also a time fraught with tremendous uncertainty.

The Doyles face an uneasy moment of reckoning as their friends and family members begin to arrive for the festivities. So much time
Don
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
People absolutely fascinate me; that's one reason I love my work as a vocational rehabilitation counselor. And it's not just their stories which interest me, though that's part of it. It's also the small things we do that set us apart. I love it when I know a friend so well that I can tell in advance what will make him laugh or how she will react in a given situation. As I read Maeve Binchy's "silver Wedding," I found myself thinking that what sets her writing apart is exactly this: her characte ...more
Michele
Like all Binchy's books, or at least all of them that I've read, this one is steeped in the emotions -- the blessing and the curse -- of friendship and family. The intertwined stories of Desmond and Deirdre Doyle, their three children, the man and woman who were best man and maid of honor at their wedding, and the priest who married them each illustrate different aspects of love and loss, and the lengths to which we go to preserve the happiness of those we love, even when we get it wrong.

As a s
Ashley
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an OK Binchy book. It wasn't as good as Scarlet Feather, Quentin's, Circle of Friends, The Copper Beech, or Night Class! Not nearly. However it was better than Firefly Summer (my most loathed of Binchy's books), or Light A Penny Candle. Obviously not a favorite, but it's alright.
This is one of her more depressing books, although I thought it ended happily on the whole, and for what this author is capable of. Though bits are quite sad, there are some good life lessons to be learned.
As
Charlotte
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
This started out terribly....I just didn't buy into the whole premise. I may be a child of the eighties, but this just read wrong for me. The use of language, the bizarre importance given over to a 25th wedding anniversary. The kids, 23 being the oldest one, were also bizarre. Anna spoke like she was in her thirties, Helen like she was 13 and Brendan, no idea what was going on there. Deirdre & Desmond sounded like they were hitting 60. Just bizarre. The book did improve with Father Hurley's ...more
Liz Pollinger
Jul 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Deirdre and Desmond are planning their Silver Wedding Anniversary party. Appearances have always been extremely important to Deirdre so she strives to have everything perfect. The first eight chapters of the book are told my different members of either the family or the wedding party. It all feels like a series of vignettes even though they are tied in at the end. The last chapter is about the party itself.
I am not a fan of Maeve Binchy, but someone in my book group requested a book by her so I
Kati
Mar 05, 2008 rated it liked it
The characters of this story all put forth one view of their lives to others around them ... as you read each chapter based on a different character, you find out the real story. In the end you get the feeling that many of them are beginning to realize that "projecting the right image" isn't as important as living a life you can be happy with and in.
Felicia
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Typical early Maeve Binchy. Each character had a chapter and the final chapter brought most of them together. Perception and lack of communication recurrent themes.
Beckie Shotwell
Aug 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, but Helen was just too unbelievable as a character. No one could be such a horrible disaster.
Kellie
I have read a lot of Maeve Binchy books and most of them were excellent. So when I started this one I thought it would be just like the others. Unfortunately that was not the case. The concept of each chapter representing each character was fine. The problem was there wasn't much substance and passion within the story so it made it difficult for me to come back to. And because there was a different story every chapter it was hard to stay focused on the prime storyline. I liked the chapter about ...more
Joanie
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deirdre and Desmond were ready to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary with a party. They had three children, all different from one another.
Many characters were followed throughout the story. And each had a hidden event secret! In the end, will love prevail?
This was an easy to follow book with many interesting characters.
Dani
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not much to say. A simple story; an easy read.
Pete Partin
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love her style. Her characters are so rich.
Linda Timm
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
ok
Paula Dembeck
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Desmond and Deirdre are going to be celebrating their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary in October and their eldest daughter Anna has been charged with planning a big celebration to mark the occasion. Anna has the job for two reasons. First, she was the one who always seemed to know what her mother wanted and secondly, her two siblings could probably not put it all together even if they tried.

Binchy’s novel tells the story of a family who keep secrets from each other and their friends. As a coup
Jennifer Johnson
Feb 11, 2009 rated it liked it

Silver Wedding sounded interesting in theory, but in execution it didn't quite pull off what I think Binchy was aiming for. The premise is that Deirdre and Desmond O'Doyle are preparing to celebrate their 25th (silver) wedding anniversary and each individual chapter focuses on the lives of individuals involved with the anniversary party. The O'Doyle Children, Desmond and Deirdre as well as the best man of their party, the maid of honor and the priest who presided over the wedding. On the surface
Alison C
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
In Silver Wedding, by Maeve Binchy, Desmond and Deidre are the unlikely couple who are about to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their wedding; their eldest daughter Anna takes upon herself the task of organizing a party. She insists on having the family there, although her brother Brendan is practically a recluse living on the tiny family farm in the west of Ireland and her sister Helen, an aspiring nun, is a complete wreck pretty much all the time. Still, Anna is determined to go through with ...more
Karen Bartosh
Maeve Binchy is not a favorite writer of mine. Not books I keep in my collection to read again - rather pass on after reading. This book was not as bad as some reviews here gave it. Helen's character was VERY ridiculous as others point out.
Because I do not live in Ireland, there are references to things in Binchy's stories that I often do not know or understand. Often her characters and their thoughts/actions are just strange to me as a result. This story was such an example. Firefly Summer was
Jeane
Sep 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland
Since I came to Ireland I read several Maeve Binchy stories and though they all have the same style, the same kind of stories... I always enjoyed reading them.
Silver weeding must be the one I enjoyed least for the moment.
It has been written typical Maeve Binchy way, but there wasn't enough story style in it. Maybe the story was jsut a bit too short and adding another 50-100 pages linking the several chapters a little bit more, miht have helped.
The several chapters describe a character each and t
Melanie
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Enjoyable read with interesting life lessons.
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was on my TBR shelf. I don't remember buying it; it either came out of the freebie pile in my building's laundry room, or I picked it up for a buck or less at some sale. I wasn't overly excited about it, but this is the year for my to clear my TBR shelf... er, bookcase... so when it came up, I read it.

I remembered why I do like Maeve Binchy almost instantly: she is able to tell the reader a lot about her characters with an enviable economy, to propel a story without melodrama, and she
Veronica Lozada
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
The only reason why I read this is because our professor told us to read a book that we will never pick. At first I have no idea who Maeve Binchy is, so I did some pre-reading and made myself motivated to read the book.

I find this very similar to a book that I recently read( The Three Day Rule). It has the same problems, and it was also narrated by different characters, so I didn't find this book unique. I actually find it boring in some parts, yes some revelations are good, but there are just
Meghan
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always biased toward Maeve Binchy; reading her novels feels like settling down with old friends. For that reason, I was disappointed upon finishing Silver Wedding, not because the characters weren’t intriguing or because something lacked in the writing style, but simply because all of these elements were present. This story was far too brief, with larger typeface and still only a mere 389 pages in my Mass Market paperback edition, I knew this going into reading, which is one of the main rea ...more
Nan Williams
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one - no one at all
I was surprised to find a Maeve Binchy book that I had not read. I've enjoyed all her books and was sorry when she died.

Now having read Silver Wedding, written in 1988, I can understand why it was never promoted as the others have been. As always she engages the reader in her characters, in their successes and their shortcomings. These characters seemed to have more "shortcomings" than most. That part was really depressing.

The theme of the book was how each character (and each of us) is living l
  • Wild Mountain Thyme
  • Village Secrets (Tales from Turnham Malpas #5)
  • Paradise House
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • Mirror, Mirror
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
More about Maeve Binchy...