Start by marking “Silver Wedding” as Want to Read:
Silver Wedding

Silver Wedding

Desmond and Deirdre Doyle will have been married for twenty-five years in October. It falls to the Doyles' eldest daughter, Anna, to decide how best to commemorate her parents' Silver Wedding. No use asking her sister Helen, living in her London convent, or her brother Brendan, who has chosen another form of exile on a bleak farm in the West of Ireland.

But it is unthinkabl
Published June 1st 2006 by Arrow (first published 1988)

Deborah Ideiosepius
Not an author I have ever ever read much from. It is lighter fiction than I normally read but a friend whose reading opinions I respect is very fond of this author and so I thought I would give it a go.

Initially, I did find it very patchy reading I found the first main character, Anna difficult to bond with, because she was so very emotionally awkward and repressed, she redeemed herself tidily however and I became quite fond of her as well as several other characters. One of my favourite charac
Kathryn
This was a classic Maeve Binchy - a story told from several people’s viewpoints. It was a rather sad story of a celebration of a 25th wedding anniversary culminating after revelations of years of secrets and ensuing unhappiness - between friends, between parents and children, between siblings, between husbands and wives.

Not my favourite Maeve Binchy, but since she passed away several years ago and the books I haven’t read of hers are now necessarily limited, I’ll take whatever I can get! 3.5★
Robin Reynolds / October Woman
Each chapter focuses on a different character, with the last chapter bringing them all together for a silver wedding anniversary celebration. It was almost more like a series of related short stories than one novel. I love a good character story, and in that Binchy definitely delivered.
Obsidian
Silver Wedding follows the silver wedding anniversary of Deirdre and Desmond Doyle. All of the characters in this story are linked to them some way. I liked some of the characters and despised others. And the ending did not really work, you have to pretty much just guess what is going to come next.

The book is broken up looking at Deirdre and Desmond's three children (Anna, Brendan and Helen). Then we go into Desmond. After him we follow Father Hurley (he married Desmond and Deirdre). Then we fo
Kati
Mar 05, 2008 rated it liked it
The characters of this story all put forth one view of their lives to others around them ... as you read each chapter based on a different character, you find out the real story. In the end you get the feeling that many of them are beginning to realize that "projecting the right image" isn't as important as living a life you can be happy with and in.
Judy
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Just ok, not her best work. most of the characters not very likable, started out well but grew more boring toward the end. I was not invested enough to care what happened anyway.
Don
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
People absolutely fascinate me; that's one reason I love my work as a vocational rehabilitation counselor. And it's not just their stories which interest me, though that's part of it. It's also the small things we do that set us apart. I love it when I know a friend so well that I can tell in advance what will make him laugh or how she will react in a given situation. As I read Maeve Binchy's "silver Wedding," I found myself thinking that what sets her writing apart is exactly this: her characte ...more
Sue
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, england
Desmond and Deirdre Doyle are approaching their Silver wedding anniversary. Anna, their oldest, believes that there needs to be a big party to celebrate the occasion - but knows she'll be the one to do all the work to plan it. Helen is living in a convent and Brendan is on a farm off in the wilds of Ireland. Also invited are Maureen Barry, who had been Maid of Honor, Frank Quigley who was Best Man and Father James Hurley who had been the officiating priest. It seems everyone has secrets that mu ...more
Kate
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Maeve Binchy writes of people whose lives would never touch mine. I can't decide if her writing is old-fashioned or maybe it's the topics she picks to write about. And yet, her characters have problems that I can relate to, some of them from a distance. And I can't stop reading, so eager to know how it all turns out.

In this book, people have been living lives of lies -- don't we all? -- and it all comes to a head when the silver wedding anniversary of a couple with three children is coming up. I
Chris Meehan
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-challenge
I do just adore the way that Maeve Binchy can pick you up and envelop you into the lives of a bunch of people who are doing nothing except organising a 25th wedding anniversary, but in the most compulsive fashion!
Leanne Beadle
Marvel Binchy has a strange way of writing. Silver Wedding is about the Silver Wedding of Deidre and Desmond Doyle. She writes in the point of view of her three children Anna, Helen and Brandon. The priest who married them. Desmond Doyle's best friend Frank who he travelled to England with from Ireland and Deidres best friend I would categorise this book as a satire.
The characters are all friends and family of the Doyle's.
The book was well written but it got a bit boring. It wasn't a book I woul
LAURIE
Written from each individuals point of view. Enlightening. Had a few good chuckles to tell Shanna about. She's one of my few quirky authors!
Barbara Peters

good characterzatiion
Mary
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
A silver anniversary is always an occasion to celebrate, and for Desmond and Deirdre Doyle this celebration is no less special. As the Doyles prepare to commemorate the twenty-five years of marriage they have shared, their closest family and friends gather around them in remembrance of such a happy time. However, it is also a time fraught with tremendous uncertainty.

The Doyles face an uneasy moment of reckoning as their friends and family members begin to arrive for the festivities. So much time
Bonnie Niu
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I just got so bored by the characters, especially Anna, she’s overtly awkward. What’s wrong Maeve? I saved this book from the bin anyways, nothing to complain in retrospect.
Michele
Like all Binchy's books, or at least all of them that I've read, this one is steeped in the emotions -- the blessing and the curse -- of friendship and family. The intertwined stories of Desmond and Deirdre Doyle, their three children, the man and woman who were best man and maid of honor at their wedding, and the priest who married them each illustrate different aspects of love and loss, and the lengths to which we go to preserve the happiness of those we love, even when we get it wrong.

As a s
Ashley
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an OK Binchy book. It wasn't as good as Scarlet Feather, Quentin's, Circle of Friends, The Copper Beech, or Night Class! Not nearly. However it was better than Firefly Summer (my most loathed of Binchy's books), or Light A Penny Candle. Obviously not a favorite, but it's alright.
This is one of her more depressing books, although I thought it ended happily on the whole, and for what this author is capable of. Though bits are quite sad, there are some good life lessons to be learned.
As
Cynthia
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I were a 'real' book reviewer I would be able to say what about the author's technique made this book (in my opinion) so far superior to the last one I read, by Barbara Taylor Bradford. I can't. I don't even know. All I know is that these people felt like real people to me, whereas Barbara's didn't. I cared about each one of them and genuinely loved getting to know them. If there were a sequel to this book I would read it. In this book every character gets a chapter to him/herself and as they ...more
Charlotte
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
This started out terribly....I just didn't buy into the whole premise. I may be a child of the eighties, but this just read wrong for me. The use of language, the bizarre importance given over to a 25th wedding anniversary. The kids, 23 being the oldest one, were also bizarre. Anna spoke like she was in her thirties, Helen like she was 13 and Brendan, no idea what was going on there. Deirdre & Desmond sounded like they were hitting 60. Just bizarre. The book did improve with Father Hurley's ...more
Beth
Aug 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Each chapter of this book is written from the point of view of a different character, which is a setup I usually enjoy. Most of these characters, however, are stuck in unhappy situations and don't have the gumption to try to change them, so I found the book generally frustrating. It was like a depressing portrayal of Thoreau's famous quote: "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." One exception: I really liked the character of Desmond, a middle-aged man who eventually tires of trying to climb ...more
Kellie
I have read a lot of Maeve Binchy books and most of them were excellent. So when I started this one I thought it would be just like the others. Unfortunately that was not the case. The concept of each chapter representing each character was fine. The problem was there wasn't much substance and passion within the story so it made it difficult for me to come back to. And because there was a different story every chapter it was hard to stay focused on the prime storyline. I liked the chapter about ...more
Liz Pollinger
Jul 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Deirdre and Desmond are planning their Silver Wedding Anniversary party. Appearances have always been extremely important to Deirdre so she strives to have everything perfect. The first eight chapters of the book are told my different members of either the family or the wedding party. It all feels like a series of vignettes even though they are tied in at the end. The last chapter is about the party itself.
I am not a fan of Maeve Binchy, but someone in my book group requested a book by her so I
Anna
Sep 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is on of those rare books I was quite happy to be finally done with. Normally I sympathize with the characters and wish them well.. in this case, however, most of them were behaving so stupidly and were so irritating, that I'd gladly erase them myself from the surface of the fictional world :) Whenever another disaster was to fall upon another hopeless example of how not to live one's life, I was about to shout "Serves you right!".

Honestly, just how boring and irritating a book can be??
Jim
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Maeve Binchy has a way with words. She is a natural story teller. Here we have a seemingly ordinary family coming together to celebrate a Silver Wedding in "darkest" Pinner. Each character is introduced in a separate chapter and we find with each a fascinating story of how they view life and some of the life changing incidents they experienced. The writer scratches beneath the veneer of middle class respectability to find some dark secrets and hypocrisy.
Joanie
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deirdre and Desmond were ready to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary with a party. They had three children, all different from one another.
Many characters were followed throughout the story. And each had a hidden event secret! In the end, will love prevail?
This was an easy to follow book with many interesting characters.
Merve Tos
Don't give any stars because it doesn't deserve even one single star. Finished it to see what makes it such a popular book. I'm sorry for the time I spent. Throw it to the recycle bin so that no one can read it via me. Just terrible!
Dani
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
Not much to say. A simple story; an easy read.
Pete Partin
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love her style. Her characters are so rich.
Diane
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
While I have enjoyed a number of Binchy's books, this one was just annoying. I couldn't get behind any character, the story just trudged on and finally ended.
Felicia
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Typical early Maeve Binchy. Each character had a chapter and the final chapter brought most of them together. Perception and lack of communication recurrent themes.
  • The End of Summer
  • Village Secrets (Tales from Turnham Malpas #5)
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • Ladies' Night at  Finbar's Hotel
  • A Summer in the Country
  • First Things First
  • The Granny (Agnes Browne, #3)
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
“It ended badly. As everything Helen Doyle had ever touched seemed to end.” 0 likes