Start by marking “Un gioco da assassini” as Want to Read:
Un gioco da assassini

Un gioco da assassini

(The Redaction Chronicles #1)

Nell’oscuro mondo delle operazioni segrete, un gruppo di assassini misteriosi sta scatenando il caos tra le fila del MI-6.

Siamo al culmine della guerra fredda e degli agenti dei servizi segreti britannici vengono presi di mira da un ignoto gruppo di sicari. In preda alla disperazione, l’agenzia manda il suo miglior agente a dara la caccia a questi assassini.

Jack “Gorilla”
Published February 11th 2017 by Creativia (first published April 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Un gioco da assassini, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un gioco da assassini

Start your review of Un gioco da assassini
Ed
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An international cat and mouse chase is powered by dynamic characters, pace and an ingenious twist ending. Seven hundred plus pages make this cold war thriller a legitimate epic of it's time and place. ...more
Jim A
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good assassin thriller from a British author. Very detailed plot and backstory for all of the players. Not a lot of "skip over" material as most of it has something to do with the plot or subplots.

The "Redaction" service of British SIS is just what the name implies. Think James Bond and License to Kill. Set in the '60's during the high point of the cold war, it will challenge the memories of us older readers. A lot of old school spy craft and CIA/SIS action.

Well worth the 500 or so page
Michael Stern
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Game For Assassins, by James Quinn, is quintessential Ludlum or Le Carre. If you're not old enough to have experienced the stories of the Cold War espionage and double dealing, you missed the real history. Post-war Europe and America, the battle for equilibrium with the Soviets and the KGB was daily nail biting, for real. Through his protagonist, Gorilla Grant, a hard bitten undercover agent, the reader is treated to the workings of the intelligence community worldwide, with double agents, and ...more
Floyd Truskot
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Excellent book for a first time writer!

It's like Jason Bourne, James Bond and Peter Devereaux aka The November Man all in one. Once I got started reading I couldn't put the book down! Good plot. Good story line. Good characters! A modern post World War II spy espionage novel with a good ending that's doesn't leave you hanging!

On to book 2, Sentinel 5. To be continued ...
John
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, favs
Classic spy/espionage novel with assassinations....5+Stars!
Sunshine Somerville
I don't get to read a lot of spy thrillers these days, but this genre is always really exciting to me - certainly some of my favorite movies are from this genre. The fact that this book also is set in the Cold War and fits into the historical fiction category makes it that much more interesting to me.

This book is gripping and intense from the beginning, and it keeps up the action and intrigue all the way through. It's a very long book - packed with detail, twists, characters, settings, and acti
Nicki Markus
A Game for Assassins was an entertaining tale. This is not a genre I often read, but I do enjoy some spy-based TV programmes and films such as Alias, so when the blog tour invite came through, I decided to give it a try.

The plot concept is interesting and the characters well-drawn. And for the most part the story moved at a good pace. As you would expect from an author with experience in the field, this tale came across as believable and nicely detailed.

For me the only downsides were: 1
Jak60
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a debut, A Game For Assassins is extremely ambitious: the author lays out an extremely wide web of intrigues, characters and sub plots, yet we only find a surface level rendering of a complex narrative construct. Such complexity takes its toll in terms of sheer length as well as plausibility and cohesiveness of the story, which sometimes the author struggles to maintain.
The novel is not without merit, but it would need a good editor to fix some of its loopholes and especially to cut the book
Marc T.
Mar 26, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not recommended.

The author, Mr. Quinn, thanked his editor in his author's note at the end. I would not have.

While Mr. Quinn may have the background to write about this material, he does not have the skill. The action scenes are poorly written, unexciting, and pretentious. There is a great deal of repetition in his description of the character's thoughts and actions to the point of tedium.

Finally, some of what occurs seems to happen in a vacuum lacking logic or reason. After reading certain dialo
Keith Phillips
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uneven...

The first portion of this book seemed an attempt to follow in LeCarre's footsteps, failing miserably. Quinn didn't seem to quite flesh out Grant, making him a caricature. About the middle section, Quinn found his stride, and the story became quite interesting. Where the earlier section seemed cliched the remainder of the book moved toward originality.
Grant would have benefited from a more nuanced description; Nicole from more substance, and capability.
Pete Savage
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for the New Year!

A trip back in time to the early days of the intelligence services in the UK, and around the world.

Memorable characters, and with very descriptive locations, and a sense of actually being part of the actual periods of our past history.

If you like spy thrillers, then you've come to the right place, dark and touch, with real language!

Now, onto the 2nd book in the series, helps to distract from the outside world of 2021!
Paul Morris
Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wha ta great read although the ending was a little sad. The author breaks the book into several sections in which each introduces a new character/s and then gives them some body but not in a abnormal fashion. Overall it each leads on to the next section and kept my interest to the end and hence wanting to read the next in the series. It will be interesting to see how how the main character grows - or not.
Bill Hoyler
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great novel of the Cold War

It's been ages since I got my hands on a "can't put down" cold war spy novel and "A Game for Assassins" is it. Double dealing, back stabbing, international assassins on both sides and rogue CIA agents. If you're a fan of well written 1960's era spy thrillers go for the $5 and buy it. You will not be disappointed
J Vernon Ruth
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is And espionage thriller in a class by itself!

The detail is astounding. The suspense, Nail biting! The intrigue, In a class by itself. Well it took several settings, And more than 2 or 3 bourbon's , This is a book I could not put down until I finally Could not hold my eyes open any longer. Of the hundreds perhaps thousands Books of this nature I have read, This would rate and the top 2 or 3 books I have read.
Sharon
Detailed and well written

The subject matter was not usual for me and it was a bit graphic at times, although I'm sure it was accurate. If you enjoy stories of a world that exists below the radar of our lives, a world where governments control much more than we like to admit, and where human life can be easily taken for profit or expedience, this book is for you.
alexander silagin
Good read

This book deserves some credit- good story set during the most forgotten times of Cold War, 60s. It's a bit too slow for my liking b and characters are a bit undeveloped and stiff but over all it is above average in this genre
Not great but good enough
Ruthanne Taylor
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an old fashioned, down & dirty spy thriller. The protagonist is not James Bond, there is no glamour just life in the trenches. Quinn did his research & and writes from experience. Loved this book & will be reading the final 2 in the trilogy.
Clayton
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The concept in the blurb was good, but I couldn't make it past the first action scene. This needs copy editing. Grammar mistakes, weird, pretentious, or just mistaken word choices, Google Translate Spanish - I wanted to like it but couldn't read it, and I read everything! Sorry Mr. Quinn - definitely has potential, but get an editor! ...more
Michael Wheeler
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Expect to not put the book down. You will follow the good guys and suddenly find yourself in the midst of planning and execution of a assassination and then back again. All this keeps you wanting for more.
Kathleen Bacheller
Recommended reading

Awesome 📚 Excellent characters 👌and fast action with many twists. I totally enjoyed the rollercoaster suspense. Definitely will look for more Jack Grant stories.

Garry Wall
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well developed characters in a believable story. I'm looking forward to the next one. ...more
Alan  Main
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous read, brilliant in depth characterization, story line keeps racing along. cant wait to finish the next one.
Jemma
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good!!

Loved this, can't wait to get into the next one. Found it very interesting that the author has lived in the shoes of some of his characters. Highly recommended
Scott C. Sheffield
Well Done!

Worth reading. Well drawn characters drive a sharply plotted story containing numerous twists. If you guess the last changes, you must be a writer!
David
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Decently written novel of the spy game in the cold war. Worth the time to read, and I'll be reading then next one, too. ...more
Ed Kowalczyk
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, WHAT A GOOD READ!

Couldn’t put the book down. Characters well storied and believable! Cannot wait to read book number 2. Thank you James.
Sandra Simmons
First time reading a spy story line. I have to admit that it is not my thing. It was very slow , but I am sure its great for those who like spy games.
Alan
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A game for assassins takes you around the world in this cold war thriller gorilla grant silently fights for queen and country well worth reading
John Roach,
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fast paced read
Nicola Shaw
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read great characters.

The book did a great job introducing the characters. The book flowed well until the end chapter it seemed mixed up and didn't follow that well. There are a lot of Americanism which could be adjusted for the UK and Europeans who read this. But I still will read the next book for characters I've met in the book.
Goodreads Librari...: A Game For Assassins 2 17 Sep 30, 2016 02:10AM
Goodreads Librari...: Old cover 2 22 Aug 21, 2016 03:00AM

• The Greatest Good (Garrison Chase #1)
  • Agent Provocateur (Charles Bishop #2)
  • Serenity Betrayed (The Shelby Alexander Thriller Series Book 6)
  • On the Run (Ryan Kaine #1)
  • Watch Me Run (Watch Me Series Book 1)
  • Mitch Kearns Combat Tracker Series Boxed Set, Volumes 1-3: Dead in Their Tracks, Counter-Strike, The Kill List
  • The Garage Guerrilla
  • Primary Target (Double Blind, #2)
  • God Save the Spy (Operation TINKER #1)
  • Wisdom Spring
  • The Nostradamus Traitor (Herbie Kruger Book 1)
  • Book Of Secrets (Vital Secrets #1)
  • Skin in the Game (A Cain/Harper Thriller, #1)
  • Romeo's Hammer (Mike Romeo, #3)
  • The Jeri Howard Anthology: Books 1-5 (Jeri Howard Mystery #1-5)
  • Romeo's Fight  (Mike Romeo, #4)
  • Madness in the Ruins (Mason Collins #1)
  • The Conspiracy: Episode 1 (CID Case #1)
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

James Quinn is the author of the "Gorilla Grant" series of spy novels. A professional security consultant and corporate intelligence operative, he currently resides in the UK but likes to travel extensively around the globe.

His next projects are "Clandestine" - a short story anthology, based around espionage, deception and intrigue - and The Fisherman, which introduces a new chara

The Redaction Chronicles (3 books)
  • Sentinel Five (The Redaction Chronicles #2)
  • Rogue Wolves (The Redaction Chronicles #3)

News & Interviews