Start by marking “Aches & Pains” as Want to Read:
Aches & Pains

Aches & Pains

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  384 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The author of the bestselling Tara Road applies her signature warmth, wisdom, and understanding of the human experience to something new, a hilarious guide to the trials of hospitals, surgery, and convalescence.
Published June 13th 2000 by Delacorte Press (first published September 16th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Aches & Pains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aches & Pains

Hannie
Hoewel het een leuk boek is om te lezen, heb ik er minder van genoten dan van haar romans. Het is een boek met korte stukjes, aangevuld met tekeningen van een illustrator, over ziek zijn. Deze stukjes zijn grappig om te lezen. Toch had ik niet zo’n connectie met dit boek. Waarschijnlijk omdat het dus allemaal van die korte stukjes zijn en geen doorlopend verhaal. Een pluspunt van dit boek is dat het net lijkt of de schrijfster tegen je praat. Leuk voor tussendoor.
C.
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: up-to-2012
I discovered Maeve Binchy's novels, thought they looked delightful, and gathered quite a few. For years I’ve heard glorious remarks about her and look forward to fitting her tales into my queue. An Irish reading circle via my blog has pushed her ahead. Trust me to start with anything but titles that turned authors into stars. Rather than try Maeve's fiction straight away, it has been an immense treat to take a personal ride with her. I have felt warmth and a good nature from the portraits in her ...more
Andrea
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like many writers, Maeve Binchy had an unhealthy lifestyle. So it's not surprising that she had health problems and in this little book she gives delightfully funny tips for dealing with them graciously. No doubt, her terrific sense of humor kept her going physically and mentally.
Carolyn Reid
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book IT was a delight to read.

I couldn't put it down

Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Mildly amusing.
Jane
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Liked her insights but not a page turner.
Trish McLellan
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, humor
Fun and quick book to read
Tkjtwmr
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Fun read, lots of laughs.
Rachel
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Maeve Binchy is more well known for her other books, but this I was first introduced to her writing through this one and I can honestly say I loved every minute!

The next time I'm hospitalized (if ever, and I really, really hope it's not for something serious) I'd like to try the suggestions on page 48: THINGS YOU CAN SAY TO ANNOY THE PERSON IN THE NEXT BED. (Yes, I loved it so much I remembered the page)

1. "Oh, was that your husband? I thought it was your son."

2. "Very wise of you not to have t
Barbra
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This little book by Maeve Binchy was an ok read. I got it from Bookmooch and glad I did because I wouldn't have bought it.

Back Cover Blurb:
What do you want when you're miserabel with aches and pains?
a) chocolates to rot your teeth?
b) grapes with dangerous pips in them?
c) expensive flowers that will need plenty of fuss and attention?
Or would you rather laugh out loud and cheer up?
Maeve Binchy's wonderful mixture of humour, common sense and anecdote will advise on everything from Baring Your Body,
Paula Dembeck
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
A humourous account written by Binchy following hip replacement surgery.

It reads as an insider’s guide to surviving hospitalization and later convalescence at home, providing those about to go through the experience with a sense of what to expect.

Wendy Shaw, who also went through a similar experience, did the illustrations.

Binchy generously donated all royalties from the sale of the book to the Arthritis Foundation.

Dawn
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
If only all patients could have such a humorous outlook when it comes to health problems. Based in part on her own experiences of major hip surgery, Maeve Binchy brings a humorous insight into dealing with medical problems, doctors, aging, being a patient, and being sick. It's a very short book and takes no more than 2 hours to read, but it's worth it.
MaryAnn
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Maeve Binchy is one of my favorite comfort reads. It always seems to me that she writes about ordinary people dealing with the challenges of life.

That said this a non fiction account of dealing with illness that is truthful and funny. This is a comfortable, informative read with some curious illustrations and humor.
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maeve Binchy is a stumble-upon author for me, for I'm always stumbling upon her books, and usually glad that I do. So sad when she passed on last year, but so glad she left such fun reads for us to read. This particular one is a cute little novella type of book, poking fun here and there about the aches and pains of life.
Julie Bye
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
A very quick light hearted read. I read this at the right time and realised that my mum maybe isn't all that unusual in being a crap patient. If you or someone you love is facing a stretch in hospital I highly recommend it, but not overly relevant for happy, healthy people.
Mary
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes non-fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
This is a short book which tries too hard to be humorous. The author writes little hints and tricks about what to do when going into hospital. I generally like Maeve Binchy as an an author, however I wouldn't say this is her best book I give it a C!
Jennifer Nowak
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A sarcastic and humorous book that could only be written by Maeve Binchy. No one else could put the words and ideas together in quite the same way as she does. It is a refreshing change from her novels and let's you see a whole new side of Binchy. Her writing will be sadly missed !
Correen
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it

This is a little book, written to humor and help persons who are hospitalized or otherwise restricted by medical conditions. It is not a great book but would be an appropriate gift for a friend who was familiar with Binchy's work and could use some cheer.
Linda S.
May 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not much of a book, it was slightly amusing in parts. I just read it because I wanted to cross it off of my to read list.
Amy
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
pg.2 "So being Irish and therefore of the temperament that believes nothing is impossible..."
Donna
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some funny bits in this one.
Nancy
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This is not a novel. More about real life situations.
Jmrathbone
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Maeve Binchy looks at hospitalization and surgery with a wry sense of humor that I found delightful. It appealed to me enough to order a copy sent to my sister who is about to undergo back surgery.
Donna
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brightened my day.
Gillian
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. It's totally relevant to me as I'm about to enter the marathon of waiting for a hip replacement in Aotearoa/ New Zealand. I miss you Maeve Binchy. Thanks for everything.
Linda Dinelle alton
Bobbie Ann
rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2008
  • On Being Presbyterian: Our Beliefs, Practices, and Stories
  • Out of Exile: Narratives from the Abducted and Displaced People of Sudan (Voice of Witness)
  • Jennie:  The Life of the American Beauty Who Became the Toast—and Scandal—of Two Continents, Ruled an Age and Raised a Son—Winston Churchill—Who Shaped History
  • In the Shadow of Denali: Life and Death on Alaska's Mt. McKinley
  • The Young Wan (Agnes Browne, #0.5)
  • Extraordinary Lives: The Art and Craft of American Biography
  • Robert A. Caro's The Years of Lyndon Johnson Set: The Path to Power; Means of Ascent; Master of the Senate; The Passage of Power
  • The Lynne Truss Treasury: Columns and Three Comic Novels
  • Killing Willis: From Diff'rent Strokes to the Mean Streets to the Life I Always Wanted
  • Girl from the South
  • O Come Ye Back to Ireland: Our First Year in County Clare
  • Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
  • Harold: The Last of the Saxon Kings
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
More about Maeve Binchy

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99