Start by marking “Behind Enemy Lines and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Behind Enemy Lines and Other Stories

Read Book* *Different edition

Behind Enemy Lines and Other Stories

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  15 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Behind Enemy Lines is a collection of fictional short stories about ordinary people and anti-heroes dragged into a search for meaning in their lives – whether it is a simple search for identity and love, or a bigger struggle for political freedom. The canvas of their actions, motivations and circumstances is a Zimbabwe of the past, present and future.
Published February 13th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Behind Enemy Lines and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Enemy Lines and Other Stories

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Behind Enemy Lines and Other Stories
Sipho
Jun 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A collection of short stories (mostly) connected to the title of the book itself. The stories are, presumably, set in Zimbabwe although the setting of some is kind of open to interpretation.

Very easy to read, very enjoyable. I must admit that maybe the point of several of the chapters either escaped me or went completely over my head. Either way, there were a few unresolved plot points in some of the accounts - which is par for the course with short stories, I guess.

An otherwise well-written and
Gerald Mugwenhi
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this. The candid writing style had me laughing out loud in parts (such as the end of Behind Enemy Lines) and the stories often had surprising twists that kept me guessing. I especially enjoyed The Order, a dark imagining of a future Zimbabwe which one can consider a wake up call considering the current (and past) political landscape. The Mill on the Hill is a close second and these are stories I would be happy to see expanded on or given new life on screen.
Gregor
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I met Joe back in June when we spent a couple of nights in the pub together. We were both living in Montpellier, France, and as a result of this fortuitous encounter he gave me a copy of this collection of short stories, dedicating it to me followed by 'sorry it's shit'. Fortunately, it most certainly isn't. Having just finished it I can say I really enjoyed reading about several shades of experience of life in Zimbabwe from the perspective of a veritable home grown talent. (Though he does insis ...more
Bhekimpilo Ncube
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book with a lot of anticipation given I had seen a glimpse of the author's character by his very polarizing and care free tweets. Glad to say the voice is the same, and as a Zimbabwean I related to a lot of the stories in the collection.

The title story has a massive twist and frankly it is the reason why I read the rest of the book. It is a great introduction that displays the cunning nature of the writer and sets the tone for the suspense in the stories ahead.

Not a bad read overall
Shona
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick read!

So hey, this was delightful, refreshing, and unexpected. A collection of very different stories (my fave is Behind Enemy Lines, but also really loved Billy). Expected standard AfLit, I suppose; got something set in a different kind of Zim.
Bárbara Ludmila
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Histórias curtas, bem humoradas e cheias de história e cultura!
Uma excelente experiência de leitura, muito agradável e lúdico.
Recomendo extremamente!!!
Rufaro Mhonda
Sep 21, 2017
Jeff Henderson
Jun 16, 2021
Joe Ruzvidzo
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Tawanda Shoniwa
May 23, 2019
Shelly Dee
Too much suspense in all stories, leaves the reader with questions. Was not so impressed.
eve1989

• Like Water for Chocolate
  • All About Love: New Visions
  • Gather Together in My Name
  • Even the Stars Look Lonesome
  • I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou's Autobiography, #1)
  • Cell
  • Bird Summons
  • Getting Ready for Marriage: A Practical Road Map for Your Journey Together
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • Destiny: Step into Your Purpose
Ruzvidzo is Zimbabwean and spent his career in the IT and media industries. He is a freelance journalist and graphic designer by day, which allows him to spend his free time writing, playing guitars badly, and barbecuing. He used to live in Harare with his wife, three guitars, two barbecues and a ginger cat named Voldemort; now he wanders the South of France pretending to write a novel.

News & Interviews